Forums > General Industry > MODELS, what do you want?

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

To the models, what do you want from photographers. (from a photo shoot)

1. How many images?

2. A make-up artist/stylist provided?

3. Images in print or on a CD?

4. Edited/photo-shopped or raw from the shoot on a CD?

5. Studio or location?

6. Length of the shoot in hours? (minimum)

7. And how much are you willing to pay?

Now I already know that SOME models have little or no interest in paying for any photographers...so those persons can skip this thread.

Oliver Cole

Dec 19 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Huynh Studios

Sacramento, California, US

it's not about what the models want. it's about what you want to give them. they should have no say in this matter.

Dec 19 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

Tiara Lestari

Jhanaydāh, Jhanaydāh, Bangladesh

Different models, different needs!

Dec 19 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Disclaimer: YMMV!

---

1. How many images?

From a 4-hour shoot, at least 2-4 usable images.  From a 2-hour shoot, at least 1-2.

---

I can do my own makeup in a pinch, but always prefer a makeup artist to collaborate with instead.  If the shoot is TFP, I will go in on the makeup artist 50/50 with the photographer, but have even occasionally paid 100% myself in the past.

---

CD.

---

Depends on the person.  If I like the photographer's post-prod style, I like edited images.  If they do funky lens flare, unnecessary borders, etc, then I prefer unedited images that I can do minor post-prod (level balance, color correction, healing tool for blemishes, etc) myself.  I tend not to shoot with people whose work needs a ton of editing.  I choose people for their end product.

---

5. Studio or location?

Studio, unless the location is WILDLY unusual.  Too many incidents with abusive "audience" bystanders, cold weather, scary animals, bees (I'm deathly allergic), etc in the past.

--

Minimum?  Heh.  An hour is probably long enough to get loosened up with a brand new photographer.

I don't like shooting much longer than 4 hours in a single session.  I'm getting old.  I get tired. :p

---

I don't believe in paying to pose OR posing for pay.  I just want to collaborate with fun people on fun projects.

This isn't a career for me.  It's just a fun occasional thing on the side.

Dec 19 06 05:49 pm Link

Model

JESSICA CLAIRE

Los Angeles, California, US

1. How many images? 1-3 Images per look. You can't have the same images repeating in your book.

2. A make-up artist/stylist provided? Make-up can make or break a look!

3. Images in print or on a CD? Image files that I can print on my own.

Sometimes its nice to have the raw images from a shoot to choose, but contact sheets are good.

5. Studio or location? The setting depends on what you are trying to shoot/accomplish!

6. Length of the shoot in hours? (minimum) 2-3

7. And how much are you willing to pay? I honestly am very broke but if I had money it would definatly depend on the amount of time involved, who the photographer is etc.

Now I already know that SOME models have little or no interest in paying for any photographers...so those persons can skip this thread.

A lot of these questions could be answered differently, it really all just depends!

Dec 19 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

M Kym

Washington, District of Columbia, US

1. Just the good ones.  Quality over quantity...

2. That would be great, since it is so hard to find a good one sometimes

3. Digital images are best, cause they can be sent over the internet of printed for future use

4. Depends on the shot

5. Depends on the idea for the shoot.

6. 2 hours is good for a few good shots

7. Right now, since Im on that college budget, it all depends.  Hopefully no more than $250, but that wont happen...

Dec 19 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Kimberlyannqt

Branson, Missouri, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

---

1. How many images?

From a 4-hour shoot, at least 2-4 usable images.  From a 2-hour shoot, at least 1-2.

---

I can do my own makeup in a pinch, but always prefer a makeup artist to collaborate with instead.  If the shoot is TFP, I will go in on the makeup artist 50/50 with the photographer, but have even occasionally paid 100% myself in the past.

---

CD.

---

Depends on the person.  If I like the photographer's post-prod style, I like edited images.  If they do funky lens flare, unnecessary borders, etc, then I prefer unedited images that I can do minor post-prod (level balance, color correction, healing tool for blemishes, etc) myself.  I tend not to shoot with people whose work needs a ton of editing.  I choose people for their end product.

---

5. Studio or location?

Studio, unless the location is WILDLY unusual.  Too many incidents with abusive "audience" bystanders, cold weather, scary animals, bees (I'm deathly allergic), etc in the past.

--

Minimum?  Heh.  An hour is probably long enough to get loosened up with a brand new photographer.

I don't like shooting much longer than 4 hours in a single session.  I'm getting old.  I get tired. :p

---

I don't believe in paying to pose OR posing for pay.  I just want to collaborate with fun people on fun projects.

This isn't a career for me.  It's just a fun occasional thing on the side.

Exactly I feel the same way, I can't believe how well you summed it up too!

Dec 19 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

1. How many images?Depending on how many looks we did

2. A make-up artist/stylist provided? Yes! Makes me feel more confident.

3. Images in print or on a CD? Images on CD so I can make new prints whenever I run out.

4. Edited/photo-shopped or raw from the shoot on a CD? Doesn't Matter.

5. Studio or location? Whichever works for the shoot.

6. Length of the shoot in hours? (minimum) 2 hour minimum...Dependant on how the photographer works...had one shoot where he took 500-700 images and another shoot more recently only took 80 and we finished in 2 hours even with wardrobe styling and makeup.

7. And how much are you willing to pay? Dependant on the quaility. I would say $400 for 2 looks.

Dec 19 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
I tend not to shoot with people whose work needs a ton of editing.  I choose people for their end product.

Maybe I am reading this wrong. If you choose people for their end product, why would it matter if they do a ton of editing (If you like the results).

Dec 19 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Caroline Ann Martin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

1. How many images? - all taken during shoot

2. A make-up artist/stylist provided? not necessarily - I do my own 99% of the time

3. Images in print or on a CD? - CD

4. Edited/photo-shopped or raw from the shoot on a CD? - Either but not in RAW format. (prefer high quality .jpg).  Most all of the images in my port I post-edited myself. I DO understand the reasonings for a photog to want to only release edited work.

5. Studio or location? - Depends on what we're trying to acheive. Any artistic nudes, figure studies, etc. should be in a studio.  I DO enjoy doing lifestyle shoots which of course implies location shoots.

6. Length of the shoot in hours? (minimum)  At least 2 though I've been known to shoot as many as 6 hours straight. Really, the amount of time doesn't matter providing the photog and I are getting the shots we seek.

7. And how much are you willing to pay?  - It depends on what the photos will be used for.

Dec 19 06 06:35 pm Link

Model

nikki fiction

Sacramento, California, US

Huynh Photography wrote:
it's not about what the models want. it's about what you want to give them. they should have no say in this matter.

wow grouchy pants!

Dec 19 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

William Milberry

Fukuoka, Fukuoka, Japan

Huynh Photography wrote:

Absolutely not.  Weather it's TFCD or paid it's a professional relationship and terms agreeable to both parties need to be agreed upon.

Dec 19 06 09:09 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Huynh Photography wrote:

Aren't you bored yet?

Dec 19 06 09:13 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Oliver Cole wrote:

Oliver Cole

1. 10

2. not unless its included in price

3. on a CD

4. not raw.  edited & on a CD

5. both studio and location

6. 2.5-4 hours minimum

7. Sex

$175 is a decent price I'd pay.  Depends on the photographer's experience though.

Dec 19 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thanks to the models for your useful replies!!!

Thoughtful dialog is much appreciated. : )

Oliver Cole

Dec 19 06 11:00 pm Link

Makeup Artist

NdeyeFace

Los Angeles, California, US

1. How many images?
The best from each outfit can be one two or whatever number... That one golden shot hehe... Well that's really what is important to me.

If I am paying for it sure... TFP nah... get all that done myself.
Never have had a stylist. MUA yeah if it's for really funky cool stuff.
Pretty good at doing my own Make-up...

CD pretty please!

Well retouched to an extent... All about presentation for the model and photog...

5. Studio or location?
Either or ...

All day if needed... ! See what I can get out of it and what the photog can get and just go for it! But all depends on what was agreed upon.

I am a true believer in investing in any career you get into... How much... Priceless if you look at where you want to go and how you want to get there. You have to make sacrifices ...

[Cheap is ok though lol... I shop at Ross at times oops did I say that!]

muahahaha

Dec 19 06 11:34 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Thomas B wrote:
If you choose people for their end product, why would it matter if they do a ton of editing (If you like the results).

If I like how they edit, then editing is not a problem.  It's part of why I go to them.  Like Eyeworks in Joplin, for example.  I love what he does with his colors.  (Which reminds me, I need to reupload those to my portfolio today now that prying eyes at work are no longer an issue.)

I'm thinking more of when I first started and didn't know what "good" was, or how I kind of grit my teeth when very nice photographers (but unfortunately with uninspiring images) contact me about TFP.

Dec 20 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Oliver Cole wrote:

1. How many images?

5. Studio or location?

Oliver Cole

I'd answer your question, but it seems you're only looking for models that PAY photographers...right?

Dec 20 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Huynh Photography wrote:

you're not here to make friends, are you?

Dec 20 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

If I like how they edit, then editing is not a problem.  It's part of why I go to them.  Like Eyeworks in Joplin, for example.  I love what he does with his colors.  (Which reminds me, I need to reupload those to my portfolio today now that prying eyes at work are no longer an issue.)

I'm thinking more of when I first started and didn't know what "good" was, or how I kind of grit my teeth when very nice photographers (but unfortunately with uninspiring images) contact me about TFP.

Ok....I get what you are saying

Dec 20 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Oliver Cole wrote:

1. How many images?
(My answers: as many as you want for the time that you wish to pay for)

(There are many fine professionals in these areas, pick one that suits your taste/style OR do your own..it's your portfolio. FANTASY ON FILM does NOT negotiate for services between model and others, once again this is your responsibility.)

(Your choice, prints are an extra charge based on size and quantities that you want. You can have the un-edited images on a CD immediately after the shoot.)

(Digital post production/editing of images is billed at $35 per hour)

5. Studio or location?
(Again, your choice..see costs for both on my profile page.)

(You control how long or short your shoot time is..again, see my profile page for costs.)

(This is where you as a model/client budgets based on your need and ability to pay)

Oliver Cole

Dec 21 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Huynh Photography wrote:

Why does the term "one trick pony" come to mind?

Dec 21 06 10:17 am Link