Forums > General Industry > Young models Unprofessional?

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

Okay Ive been doing this for a LONG while and though Im fairly young (26 is considered young nowadays???) I find work with "models" younger than I am has its problems.
Granted working with post 30s models means working around kids and spouses and such (and jealous husbands who call every 10 minutes during shoots) but they attempt to make a schedule work and Ive had very few flakers in the older age range. Seems the older the more reliable.
Has anyone else seen this?
I have scratched out under 18ers altogether (a few have been no call no shows simply to go to the mall with friends)
And the 18-22 bunch either are busy with college (too much so to even moderately consider "modeling" part time, yet they wont state that in their profile) or just put forth no real effort to come out to a 2 hour shoot
I know I cant be the only one having this issue.
And the whole "not replying must mean Im not interested" thing is annoying. What ever happen to a simple "no thank you"??? Takes 2 seconds to type.
Keep in mind models, Im not saying ALL young models are like this, just most Ive come across. Id even say at least 60-70% of models on these sites will no call no show at least a few times and not even follow up with an email explaining why.
So photogs anyone else have issues and how have you handled it?

Dec 19 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Josu

Fort Walton Beach, Florida, US

I'm in that 18-22 category but I'm finished with school and trying to get my modeling career on a roll...  That whole not replying thing.. ya that annoys me too..  it is not just here it is anywhere...  All about in the world now... people don't have so much common courtesy anymore...

Dec 19 06 07:31 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

jerrell edwards wrote:
Okay Ive been doing this for a LONG while and though Im fairly young (26 is considered young nowadays???) I find work with "models" younger than I am has its problems.
Granted working with post 30s models means working around kids and spouses and such (and jealous husbands who call every 10 minutes during shoots) but they attempt to make a schedule work and Ive had very few flakers in the older age range. Seems the older the more reliable.
I have scratched out under 18ers altogether (a few have been no call no shows simply to go to the mall with friends)
And the 18-22 bunch either are busy with college (too much so to even moderately consider "modeling" part time, yet they wont state that in their profile) or just put forth no real effort to come out to a 2 hour shoot
And the whole "not replying must mean Im not interested" thing is annoying. What ever happen to a simple "no thank you"??? Takes 2 seconds to type.
Keep in mind models, Im not saying ALL young models are like this, just most Ive come across. Id even say at least 60-70% of models on these sites will no call no show at least a few times and not even follow up with an email explaining why.

Just wanted to say....26 IS YOUNG! And how long is doing this a LONG TIME at that age?

I'm 59 and I've been at it a LONG TIME for real.....LOL! Longer than you have been alive!

But seeing that you're fairly new here ...just get used to idea that models will flake out on you.....there are probably more posts on that subject that anything else.

If you get upset you're going to burn out......just kick back and don't worry about flakey models.....there's more out ther who are serious about modeling....it's just harder to find them.

Dec 19 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

jerrell edwards wrote:

you rolled a lot of problems into one bunch (flakes, no-shows, no-response).  The only sure-fire answer is to make better choices in determining those who are models and those simply liking to take pictures for the vanity of it all.  put them in two different piles and disregard those that aren't model material.  the signs are obvious.

--face reality

Dec 19 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Have you considered that none of the nights and weekends models are professional models?

Start using agency girls.

Dec 19 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Joseph Shebagegit Photo

Nestor Falls, Ontario, Canada

Have to agree with the "no reply" problem, IT WOULD BE NICE to hear back a simple "no thank you". just so we, as photographers, can move on quicker...if we call or email it is because we want to work with you or like the work you have.

moral of the story is.....reply as soon as possilble.

Dec 19 06 10:41 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

You're right, a lot of the "younger" crowd is prone to flaking. But please, remember that we're not all like that. I definately won't flake. I simply don't, I value my work too much. Besides, I'm not stupid enough to think that photographers don't talk. I've shown up at two seperate shoots and found out the photographers were friends, and had been talking. Thankfully due to my diligence, it was all good stuff.

I guess its up to you to choose wisely as to reduce your flake risks.

And remember, this street runs both ways, I've had several photographers flake on me too. People will be people.

Dec 19 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

jerrell edwards wrote:

Are you working with pretty girls who like to pose in front of cameras or models? big_smile

Models show up.

Pretty girls that like to pose in front of cameras range from never showing up to showing up.

Dec 19 06 10:55 am Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

grrr... dern youngens are making me look bad..

tongue

Dec 19 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

jerrell edwards wrote:

Ahhh the internet photog. It's called a reputable agency my friend. Use one.

Oh wait... your in Richmond. Nevermind. BTW... I have a client in Richmond!

You need more clients.... less TFP crap. Yah yah... I know, you get 'paid'.

Dec 19 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

See, this is why I keep all my models in cages at a closed up flophouse down on the Bowery. Once they show for a shoot I never have to worry about them being late again. Well, unless I get them preggers...

Dec 19 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

FaceReality wrote:

you rolled a lot of problems into one bunch (flakes, no-shows, no-response).  The only sure-fire answer is to make better choices in determining those who are models and those simply liking to take pictures for the vanity of it all.  put them in two different piles and disregard those that aren't model material.  the signs are obvious.

--face reality

Agree.
...I photograph many young college age models and have had 90% success rate over time(35 years), created some beautiful images, had a lot of fun, always paid and treated my models well.
...no secret.

Dec 19 06 11:07 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

just get used to idea that models will flake out on you.....there are probably more posts on that subject that anything else.

Yep...

And like I say in most of those, a good way to avoid flakes is to check their references.  Ask around about them locally, too.  If other photographers in your area have been flaked out on, it shouldn't be too hard to find out.  Then you'll have a better idea of who is likely to pull a no-show on you, and maybe avoid working with those specific models altogether.

Dec 19 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

If a model flakes on me (had a couple so far), then I just put them on my own little "flake list" for future references of those who not to work with. If you are working mainly off of the internet, and mostly doing tfp, then you are going to get more flakes than you are models who are really going to work and show up to the shoot.

Dec 19 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i have no kids husband or family who interfere
i live a free and noble life oF nudity!!

Dec 19 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Anjel Britt wrote:

and god bless you for it

Dec 19 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

jerrell edwards wrote:

Wow I really enjoyed your portfolio, it is a shame that you are having trouble.

Like ched said...using agency girls instead would probably reduce flaking... but also you may want to set up some kind of deposit to be sure the models are serious...

I know a few photographers on here that do that...and have mentioned it reduced there flake rate smile

*Sandra

Dec 19 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dobias Fine Art Photo

Haddon Heights, New Jersey, US

You're a "Boudoir Photographer," and the young 'uns are "Time Management Challenged." (TMC's).

Get over it.

Dec 19 06 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

On average the younger models do tend to be flakier, and also on average seem to have more trouble putting real personality into their shots. But you'll find gems and flakes at any age level.  Check references, keep in communication (don't assume just because you've scheduled something two weeks in advance that they'll even remember it, let alone show up), if they're paying you get a deposit.  Paying them even a little improves the show-up rate over TFP.

And yeah, with agencies one of the things you're paying for is reliability.  If you're sinking money into studio rental, MUAs, sets, whatever... consider it insurance.

Dec 19 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

find hot girls that have a $7 an hour job , offer them $15 an hour.   works 99% of the time for me.

Dec 19 06 09:50 pm Link

Model

Fiona L 1125

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm 16, and I would like to have say on things. Usually around this age, it seems to be lacking responsibility and maturity. It depends on some people, because maybe you found a really bad group to work with every time. There are some mature younger models out there, and I guess you can't just judge ALL younger models the same. I would never do such a thing [like ditching a photo shoot to go out with friends] when I know I have to be there, unless it's something REALLY important, I would never leave people empty handed without a legitimate reason...I mean I'm really young, and I know my own responsibility, especially when I know that I want to become a model. So yeah...I guess that's what I have to say about this...

Dec 19 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

With a parent involved, I've not had a problem with under 18s.  It's that 19 to 24 (going on 12) group who post images on Myspace and say, "See, I'm a model."  They get a shoot or two under their belt, and then it's off to the mall rather than say no.  Easier to flake than call and say they need to cancel.  If even some form of human communication occurred that for some reason they need to cancel, I'd reconsider shooting with them. But I keep my 'flake' list and won't shoot with 'em again, unless they pay a deposit.

Just goes with the business.

Tim

Dec 19 06 11:08 pm Link

Model

Paige Antoinette

Ramona, California, US

we're not all flakes and law suits...

Dec 19 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Anjel Britt wrote:

Perfection in an imperfect world  :-)

Dec 19 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Actually, all of the "older" models who I have set up shoots with have either flaked or evaporated. I drove 50 miles to shoot one and she didn't show (she was 35 years old) - and she knew I was 50 miles away.

I have certainly my share of young "models" who were immature and unprofessional and flaked, but I have also worked with some amazing late teens / early 20's models - all very professional, mature, fun, and talented.

So the young professional are out there.

Dec 21 06 11:49 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

I am 22, most people wouldn' even know if I didn't post it on my profile here. I am told all the time, I act as if I am 32. I am not a college student, and I have been modeling for sometime now. I also do this full time, and I know what I want t do. I take this business very seriously. I feel I run into a lot more photographers who aren't serious. They book with me, and cancel 3-4 times before we shoot. So, it goes both ways. It depends on the person, and who you work with.

A lot of people like working with me. I have a free life, for the most part. No, husband or children. No, day job that gets in the way. I am not in school. I am a very free women.

I have only canceled three times.
Once because I double booked myself by mistake. Wrote bookings on the wrong day.

Another time when I traveled to NYC. I was traveling with another model, who made my trip difficult. I didn't want to look unprofessional because of her, so we canceled. (She was an older model too.

Lastly, I had to have 2 wisdom teeth removed right away. I had an inpacted one that was infected. My face was very sore, and puffy.

I would never no show. If I am going to cancel I give as much notice as possible. Expect when I doubled booked myself by mistake at Glamourcon. I didn't know I did, it until 5 hours before the shoot. When one of the photographers came to my booth, and asked about our shoot. He traveled all day from San Fran to shoot with me!

As for the not replying, I admit I do that. I have had a number of photographers go ape shit, when I told them no thank-you. I was honest about it.

Thank-you for the offer, but I am not interested at the moment.  Thanks again.

I bothers me a few bad eggs are making young models look bad.

Dec 21 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:
Are you working with pretty girls who like to pose in front of cameras or models? big_smile

Models show up.

Pretty girls that like to pose in front of cameras range from never showing up to showing up.

Very well put. I have no idea when every pretty girl that enjoyed having their photo taken became classified as a model.

Dec 21 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Very well put. I have no idea when every pretty girl that enjoyed having their photo taken became classified as a model.

This girl is NOT a model:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060529/18/447b856896341.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/62912921.jpg

Though with some experience and a better photographer, she could be (well, maybe not, she is only 5'2").  However, she is pretty and she does like her picture taken.  And she shows up. smile

Dec 21 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

It's not the age, it's the person. A flake will still be a flake when he\she is older, if they've even bothered to keep it up that long.

Dec 21 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

I'm not very old...and as far as I'm concerned, two hours is hardly a shoot.

I'd clear my day and night for you.

Dec 21 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

MrE Creations

26 young? Not for a model. 18-24 is prime age for most models, I rarely work with models over 24. It all depends on the individual. I know 20 year old models much more dependable and reliable than older ones, just depends on the person.

Dec 21 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Joseph Shebagegit Photo wrote:
Have to agree with the "no reply" problem, IT WOULD BE NICE to hear back a simple "no thank you". just so we, as photographers, can move on quicker...if we call or email it is because we want to work with you or like the work you have.

moral of the story is.....reply as soon as possilble.

STOP the nonsense!  Like a model 'owes' you anything?

Some models get hundreds and I mean HUNDREDS of requests every day.  They are tired of typing "No Thank You".  If they had to type those 3 words everytime they had a request to shoot that they were NOT interested in, they would get cramps.  Don't you know a model's hands are delicate? 

Do you reply to EVERY model that requests a shoot?  Probably, only because you don't have to type "No Thank You" 300 times.

No Reply = Not Interested

Is that so hard to comprehend?

Dec 21 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Hamza wrote:

STOP the nonsense!  Like a model 'owes' you anything?

Some models get hundreds and I mean HUNDREDS of requests every day.  They are tired of typing "No Thank You".  If they had to type those 3 words everytime they had a request to shoot that they were NOT interested in, they would get cramps.  Don't you know a model's hands are delicate? 

Do you reply to EVERY model that requests a shoot?  Probably, only because you don't have to type "No Thank You" 300 times.

No Reply = Not Interested

Is that so hard to comprehend?

Maybe that's an idea for Tyler.  Have an option so you can click on all the e-mails you'd like to delete with a No Thank you response. big_smile

Dec 21 06 04:53 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Helms

Phoenix, Arizona, US

jerrell edwards wrote:

You haven't worked with me!! LOL... I'm 22 & always call if I'm not showing, & usually with few days to spare.

Dec 21 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Helms

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Christopher Hartman wrote:

Maybe that's an idea for Tyler.  Have an option so you can click on all the e-mails you'd like to delete with a No Thank you response. big_smile

Hahaha... I'd pay for that!! = D

Dec 21 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

Ched wrote:
Have you considered that none of the nights and weekends models are professional models?

Start using agency girls.

I'm a nights and weekend model

I'm not an agency model

I'm also 23 years young

I don't flake

Check my references if you don't believe me big_smile

Dec 21 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

KelseyAnn wrote:
It's not the age, it's the person. A flake will still be a flake when he\she is older, if they've even bothered to keep it up that long.

i agree to the fullest extent on this one. I personally have never flaked out, no showed, or not called on shoot. Everyshoot i have, i shoot for AT LEAST 4 hours. I just had a day long shoot on saturday and i have had many of them. I too am in the 18-22 range. I have only postponed one shoot out of all the shoots i have had, and postponed it for another day that week due to an emergency. I take what I do very seriously. I am not in college, I just work part time and model part time as well. You just have to find the right ones and not fall for the wrong ones as someone stated before. Because there are some that really take what they do seriously (like I do). Just basically count it as a loss for them. Because it is.

~Chantelle~

Dec 21 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Gabrielle Danielle wrote:

Hahaha... I'd pay for that!! = D

As long as you don't click my name when you do that wink

Dec 21 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Ms Jenni

Springfield, Colorado, US

I'm 22 with two little girls, and my fiance isn't jealous in the slightest. Between kids, training horses, and throwing DJ parties, I'm still persueing model. And despite all the previously mentioned things that I do, I NEVER flake out on obligations.

I may be young, but I want people to take me seriously despite my age. Anyone who just flakes out on a photo shoot, in my oppinion, shouldn't be in the industry. It's one thing to have an emergency situation come up, and it's another to just NOT show up.

Dec 21 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I am old.
I have been doing this for 27 years, and I have very little trouble with "Model Flaking." The trick is in qualifying your models effectively to ensure that you will not be left in the lurch. I usually arrange a meeting before any shoot, and if they do not show for the meet, I go no further. If I do not get a serious vibe at the meeting, I do not book.

Two things have been said in previous responses that are worth paying attention to:
1. If you are shooting for a paying client do NOT book random net models. Go to an agency.
2. If you wish to guarantee an appearance, pay your models. I have never had a model fail to show for a gig for which she was being paid. (sent one home once, as she was too ill to shoot, but bless her fevered little heart, she showed. Shot her later.)

As for the age issue, some of the most professional and sincere models I have worked with have been between 16 and 22. I do not find that age make the difference.

Dec 21 06 05:54 pm Link