Photographer

art of the muse- musart

why is it some 'pro' photographers feel the need to belittle beginners?

i just got 3 emails from 'established' photographers telling me to change my classification from 'semi-pro' to 'GWC'....wtf?

i classified myself as semi-pro for these reasons:
1. i do it part-time (i'd go full-time if i could pay the bills)
2. i've been paid for my work - and published
3. i try to be oodles more professional than some pros - especially in the way i treat models who are good enough to work with me...

so what does that make me?
a gwc?

f*ck me...

Dec 17 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm sorry, like it or not, you are a GWP (Guy With Potential).

Don't let it get go to your head!

Dec 17 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

what does GWC stand for. this is all i could find.

GWC    Geotechnical Well Construction
GWC    German Welfare Council
GWC    Global Weather Center
GWC    Global Weather Central (USAF)
GWC    Global Weather Control
GWC    Gollop-Wolfgang Complex
GWC    Great Wall of China
GWC    Gross Written Commissions

Dec 17 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
I'm sorry, like it or not, you are a GWP (Guy With Potential).

Don't let it get go to your head!

ok

Dec 17 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

joshua ellis wrote:

ok

wait thats GWP not GWC.

Dec 17 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

sorry guys, but how so?
because i don't own a studio?

have gear will travel...

i work full-time for a fortune 500 company in a position of responsibility that affords me the freedom to combine both passions - art and photography...

if i could go 'pro' and pay all the bills i pay today - complete with a beautiful 3-month old daughter - i'd do it in heartbeat...

regardless - why make a point of rubbing my nose in it?
and a GWC?
come on...

Dec 17 06 04:25 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Don't fret yourself... they're only revealing their true mentality.
Professional people that behave professionally don't have time to worry about what the classification is of the next guy. They're too busy working on themselves.

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

musart wrote:

i just got 3 emails from 'established' photographers telling me to change my classification from 'semi-pro' to 'GWC'....wtf?

3. i try to be oodles more professional than some pros - especially in the way i treat models who are good enough to work with me...

a gwc?

f*ck me...

Since when did GWC imply a level of experience? I was under the assumption that the term is supposed to refer to a photographers intent (i.e. unprofessional attitude toward models...put tactfully). If GWC is a level of competence then all photographers start out as GWC's. One is not a GWC simply because his portfolio isn't to the levels of others expectations.

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Since when did GWC imply a level of experience? I was under the assumption that the term is supposed to refer to a photographers intent (i.e. unprofessional attitude toward models...put tactfully). If GWC is a level of competence then all photographers start out as GWC's. One is not a GWC simply because his portfolio isn't to the levels of others expectations.

so what do you call a model with unprofessional attitude towards photographers

Dec 17 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

precisely what i thought as well...

i'd like to think my work is pretty good - in fact - i love it
and i'm a much tougher critic of my own work than anyone else would be...

in my eyes, a GWC is a step up from a guy in a trechcoat outside a bedroom window - but only because he can affort the camera...

Dec 17 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

what does GCW stand for already?

Dec 17 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

joshua ellis wrote:
what does GCW stand for already?

guy with camera

Dec 17 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:

so what do you call a model with unprofessional attitude towards photographers

Umm...a model? lol.

Dec 17 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

musart wrote:

a gwc?

f*ck me...

the fact that they actually contact you concerning your proclaimed status sort of eliminates any connotation of professionalism on their part.
This site has about as much to do with professional photography as my mom's cat.....who, by the by, died last year.
It used to, vaugely, back when it started but now its just a free for all.

Dec 17 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

i am a GWC as a matter of fact i have 4 cameras

Dec 17 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

joshua ellis

Savannah, Georgia, US

musart wrote:

guy with camera

ok thanks. should make you want to shoot more. don't let it get to you. i would take any feedback at this point.

Dec 17 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

STANLEY LAFLEUR wrote:
i am a GWC as a matter of fact i have 4 cameras

Well, then that would make you a GW4C's

Dec 17 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

i can take criticism of my photography all day long - only way to improve...

but as stated previously, i consider it more of an attack on character.
and it kills me that someone would take the time to email me personally with that comment...

guess i'm just hypersensitive today.

Dec 17 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Tachibana

Los Angeles, California, US

joshua ellis wrote:

wait thats GWP not GWC.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Dec 17 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Leo Howard wrote:

Well, then that would make you a GW4C's

omg.. haha sorry that was funny though!

Dec 17 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

phuck 'em all....your work speaks for itself.  where I come from we call 'em haters.  usually that's because of jealousy or envy or a strong insecurity about themselves.  sooooo i say again...phuck'em.  be a GWC that creates some beautiful work..  Some of these so-called pro's need to get their asses off of thier shoulders and realize that they are not above anyone.

Do what you do.  It's good.

; }  James

Dec 17 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Vosler

Redlands, California, US

Hopefully you did not respond.  I would just let it roll off.  They don't deserve a response.

Dec 17 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

TSOJAW wrote:
phuck 'em all....your work speaks for itself.  where I come from we call 'em haters.  usually that's because of jealousy or envy or a strong insecurity about themselves.  sooooo i say again...phuck'em.  be a GWC that creates some beautiful work..  Some of these so-called pro's need to get their asses off of thier shoulders and realize that they are not above anyone.

Do what you do.  It's good.

; }  James

I don't know if they think are 'above anyone' (of course, there are always a few assholes in any group of people) but... it is annoying, to be perfectly honest, when those that are NOT professional photographers, models, MUA's etc. just say they are.

It is one of the only industry where if you want to be something you automatically are. (Even if you are a hooker you have sex for money before you call yourself one, lol.)

I want to be a doctor - so do I say I am one? Of course not.

But, people will say they are professional photographers and professional models because... well, how do you stop them?

Why not "aspiring model?"

I just think it takes away from the people that have worked their asses off to get agents, tearsheets and clients.

Eh, maybe it's just me. smile

Dec 17 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

RachelCWhittemore wrote:
I don't know if they think are 'above anyone' (of course, there are always a few assholes in any group of people) but... it is annoying, to be perfectly honest, when those that are NOT professional photographers, models, MUA's etc. just say they are.

It is one of the only industry where if you want to be something you automatically are. (Even if you are a hooker you have sex for money before you call yourself one, lol.)

I want to be a doctor - so do I say I am one? Of course not.

But, people will say they are professional photographers and professional models because... well, how do you stop them?

Why not "aspiring model?"

I just think it takes away from the people that have worked their asses off to get agents, tearsheets and clients.

Eh, maybe it's just me. smile

so i ask again - what is wrong with semi-pro?
pay, passion, professionalism...
check, check, check.

aspiring?
absolutely - everyday - to get better and better...

anyone who isn't is complacent.

Dec 17 06 05:03 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

musart wrote:

so i ask again - what is wrong with semi-pro?
pay, passion, professionalism...
check, check, check.

aspiring?
absolutely - everyday - to get better and better...

anyone who isn't is complacent.

How do you define semi-pro? Halfway professional? I'm sorry --- I am not trying to be rude, that just does not seem to make any sense to me?

Dec 17 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

I'm almost pro

Dec 17 06 05:09 pm Link

Model

Rachel DellaPorte

Montgomery, New York, US

Never mind, I\ just thought about that for a moment, and I am assuming we are using the same definition.

So, I am guessing you are making some money off of your work - but you def. still need a day job?

I guess there is no judge (except the agencies) to say whether or not a photographer's work is professional until they are published... and more than once. (By a real magazine, with a real name, etc. etc. etc.)

Rachel

Dec 17 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

RachelCWhittemore wrote:

How do you define semi-pro? Halfway professional? I'm sorry --- I am not trying to be rude, that just does not seem to make any sense to me?

He is referring to his part-time status…. Some of us do make money off photography but do not do it as a full time job. This affords us the freedom to pick and choose our projects with out having to worry about where the next meal is coming from.

Dec 17 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

musart wrote:

Here on Model Mayhem via Private Message or actual e-mails off the site?

Dec 17 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

RachelCWhittemore wrote:
Never mind, I\ just thought about that for a moment, and I am assuming we are using the same definition.

So, I am guessing you are making some money off of your work - but you def. still need a day job?

I guess there is no judge (except the agencies) to say whether or not a photographer's work is professional until they are published... and more than once. (By a real magazine, with a real name, etc. etc. etc.)

Rachel

thanks.
wasn't sure if i needed the other ball kicked or not.

all better now.

Dec 17 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

art of the muse- musart

Ched wrote:
Here on Model Mayhem via Private Message or actual e-mails off the site?

they took the time to actually email me directly...off the site...
which is why i found it all the more petty.

Dec 17 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

musart wrote:

they took the time to email me directly...
which is why i found it all the more petty.

Ched wants to know if they sent it to your account here on MM

Dec 17 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

NC17 wrote:
Professional people that behave professionally don't have time to worry about what the classification is of the next guy. They're too busy working on themselves.

Listen to this woman.  She has a good head on her pretty shoulders.

Dec 17 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

musart wrote:

Well, then you deserve to call yourself a semi-professional if you want to. Ignore them or (since it's private off-site messaging) tell them to go f**k themselves.

Besides there's SO many portfolios on MM that are much less professional than yours, I can't imagine what they were thinking...

Dec 17 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

Exactly. GWC isn't about the quality of your work...it's about whether or not you pretend to be a photographer to see boobs. You can be really talented and be a "GWC"...GWC is more about intentions than skills.

Dec 17 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

NC17 wrote:

So true....and marketing, and shooting, and making money!  Always amazed at how much time so-called pros spend on here instead of working on their businesses.  For me, a full time pro who makes a very handsome living after getting to this point over 25 years, this is an evening treat when all the jobs are done or set aside for the night, calls for tomorrow's bookings made, studio cleaned etc etc.  Don't have time to worry about someones else's classification except when how they behave and the product they show here or to clients brings down the name of pro photographers in general.

Dec 17 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

David is so right!

A professional in any field would be much the same. The demands of making the work happen, and happen right, maintaining your business structure, planning, marketing, etc. - don't leave much time for this. It's fun to drop in now and then, see some work others are doing, exchange a few words here and there. But who has time for more? Certainly, who has time to be busy blowing other people out of the water, discouraging them from enjoying their life? What a waste of karma!

It doesn't matter if you are a GWC - if you are, you are a GWC who is doing some good work, ok!

When I catch the rare compliment - well, that's nice. Warm glow time.

When I get some crap like you got - I just figure they're having a bad day and need to unload someplace. (Sorry it was you.) It's the nature of people.

So keep on workng at it, and be glad you have that fortune 500 job that allows you to do good photography for fun. Having to do it to pay the rent can sometimes make a fun profession a little less enjoyable, LOL! (And then you wanta go beat up some poor GWC......)

Dec 17 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

musart wrote:
thanks.
wasn't sure if i needed the other ball kicked or not.

all better now.

LOL. Sorry but that's funny. I have to remember that one.

Don't give it a second thought. There are all kinds of strange people in this industry that do such things. Your work rocks. Keep doing what YOU do by your own standards. I've been accused of not being a "real" photographer more than once. I'd never give what someone says here regarding my motivation or intent too much concern.

Dec 17 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Exactly. GWC isn't about the quality of your work...it's about whether or not you pretend to be a photographer to see boobs. You can be really talented and be a "GWC"...GWC is more about intentions than skills.

Yeah, and besides, wouldn't it be more effective to pretend to be a doctor to see boobs? Every woman trusts their doctor and as everyone knows photographers are shifty  and depraved characters.

So...a note to all GWC's. Become FDWC's (fake doctor's with cameras) and you've got something.

Dec 17 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

NC17 wrote:

I agree.

Dec 17 06 06:14 pm Link