Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

end of round one- Wild Card Series               

Brewers beat by Diamondbacks
Rays beat by Rangers
Marlins beat by Phillies
Blue Jays beat by Twins

All eliminated in two games of a three game series.

Twins going to Astros
Rangers going to Orioles
Diamondbacks going to Dodgers
Phillies going to Braves

Scores:
https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=5 … mt;fp;1;;;

Brackets:
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/2 … re-bracket

Oct 04 23 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Thanks to modern broadcast technology, watching baseball on today's monitors is orders of magnitude better than when I used to watch Yankee games on local television;  b&w, low def, large, fixed cameras at a few  boring positions, with the crude slow zooms of the day.  Always great to see a game live at the ballpark, but damn, watching today's coverage makes the game more immediate, intense, with informative graphics, and reveals the real drama of the game as never before: pitcher vs batter. Baseball is better than ever.

Oct 09 23 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Tonight: Atlanta 5, Phillies 4.

Oct 09 23 06:47 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

The Orioles are out after losing the best of five series 3-0 to the Texas Rangers on October 10.

The Twins can still pul it out but their backs are against the wall having fallen behind the Astros 2-1 in the series and are behind 3-1 midway through the 4th game and possibly final game of the series.

The Braves look like they accepted their fate during a rout in game three in Philadelphia.  Phillies 10- Braves 2 in the bottom of the eighth, including back to back no out homers at the start of the inning.  After getting one out, the Braves hit the batter and walked the next one, leaving men on first and second. with one out and Bryce Harper coming to nbat.  THe Braves got out of the inning on a double play off of Harper's contact with the ball.  The Braves mounted a hint of offense with a two out walk in the top of the ninth and a live drive single to left field that advanced the runner to third, but there he stayed as the Braves took their final out on a grounder to third and a play at first for a final score of 10-2 and the Braves fell behind in the five game series 2-1.

It will be too late for me to watch the Dodgers potentially get eliminated tonight.

If the Diamondbacks sweep the Dodgers tonight and the Twins fail to even the series score, the only baseball the rest of this week will be the Phillies and the Braves tomorrow night- with a small hope for the Braves to carry the series through to Saturday.

Edit:
Diamondbacks eliminated the Dodgers 3-0 with a 4-2 win
Astros eliminated the Twins 3-1 with a 3-2 win

All of the 2023 division winners except the Astros and Braves have been eliminated.

Oct 11 23 04:53 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Thursday October 12th in Citizens Bank Park

Top of the fourth the Braves took a one run lead on a long ball, but the Phillies answered with another homerun in the bottom of the fourth to tie it up.  The Phils took the lead in the fifth with a home run and padded their lead with a third home run in the 6th.

It got a little dicey in the top of the seventh when Phillies' relievers walked the bases full and were working close to a full count when the batter for the Braves drove a fly ball into the outfield, stranding all three men on base.  The Phillies followed up in that inning leaving two men, one who had singled and a subsequent walk.

It got interesting again in the top of the ninth when the Phillies walked the first batter and allowed a single to the second batter.  The runner advanced from first to third, practically guaranteeing the Braves one more run with two on and no outs.  Two pop ups and a strike out later, the Phillies celebrate and are going to the NLCS and the Braves, the National League East Division winner are eliminated and going home to watch the world series on TV.

Oct 12 23 08:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

The Phillies head west to Arizona and Texas goes home from Houston to some other place in Texas to continue their respective post season play with two wins each.  The two teams have half the required number of wins in a best of seven game series with just 2 games played.

The Astros squandered their home field advantage.  Now Texas and Arizona gain the home field advantage. 

Will each leader hold on to go onto the World Series?  Or, will the other teams behind in the count rise to the occasion to make the series more stressful for the fans and more profitable for the clubs?

Oct 17 23 08:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

With game 5 in the books for the ALCS, Houston has not only eliminated their two game deficit, but now leads Texas 3 games to 2 games in the best of 7 series.

Meanwhile, in the NLCS the Phillies dropped the 3rd game to the Diamondbacks and the 4th game the Phillies lost 6-5 for a 2-2 tie in the series.  The teams have one more to play in the desert and then back to Philadelphia to finish the series.

Oct 20 23 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
With game 5 in the books for the ALCS, Houston has not only eliminated their two game deficit, but now leads Texas 3 games to 2 games in the best of 7 series.

Meanwhile, in the NLCS the Phillies dropped the 3rd game to the Diamondbacks and the 4th game the Phillies lost 6-5 for a 2-2 tie in the series.  The teams have one more to play in the desert and then back to Philadelphia to finish the series.

Rookie Phillies pitchers got clobbered.

Oct 21 23 08:17 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Game 7 for the Astro Texan  best of seven series tonight. 

Game 6 for the Phillies Diamondbacks best of seven series with the Philadelphia Phillies leading 3 games to 2.  Will there be a Tuesday game?

Oct 23 23 06:40 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

In a pair of series that required seven games to seperate the champion of the each league from the loser, two wildcard teams, Texas and Arizona are going onto the world series.

Oct 24 23 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

I love baseball overall, even though the new rules are trying to speed up the game. This is only television crap, as they want to move on to other programming or another sports event near on time.  As a fan, who can't love being at a classic ballpark (which is sort of down to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park).  Sitting in the afternoon sun for 5 hours!   But again, daytime baseball is also dying off. Except for the Cubs.
    So as far as the playoffs.   I'm not an ESPN or even a pay TV person.  Mine is still via antennae with any free digital channel that comes in.   I think the extension of playoffs years ago started to ruin the game. Now , to show how networks don't care, there was NO playoff action ever seen televised at all.   You have to be on some paid sports network.   Only the World Series.  And my guess with just Texas in the semis, and Texas-Diamondbacks as series.    I'd guess the TV viewership was near the bottom of all series televised.    I certainly had no interest at all. 
     Why has America lost interest?   Why do I see rugby and soccer taking up space on a Saturday afternoon on network TV instead of a selection of baseball games.    Has immigration of Euro and Latin people to US shown that much draw to networks that they feel pressured to show these 'other' sports instead of major league baseball?
      I could go on and on. Some call it boring if not seeing home runs or stand up triples every inning.  I love to see the pressure, the mind game between a pitcher and batter.   Pitcher steps back, flips rosin bag, chats with shortstop.  Batter steps out, kicks dirt off shoes.  Fouls off strikes that are not in HIS sweet zone to tire out the pitcher. This is all great fun.   But sadly it is lost on so many viewers these days who want fast paced passes of football or rapid up and down the court slam dunks of basketball instead.    Where is the sport headed is my question.

Nov 04 23 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Adventure Photos wrote:
Why do I see rugby and soccer taking up space on a Saturday afternoon on network TV instead of a selection of baseball games...

It might not be so much of "knock" against baseball, but simply the strong growth that's being shown by people that have become interested in sports like rugby in North America.  Keep in mind that newcomers to rugby generally find it that it's usually quite a fast paced and exciting game (especially when you're watching good teams), with far fewer game stoppages.  They're also surprised to find rugby a much rougher, more physical game than NFL football.  And that's NOT a knock against NFL football (which I enjoy!).

TV sports networks have simply noticed the trend and are catering more and more to that shift.

The Rugby World Cup just finished and it was quite an exciting 7 weeks.  There's a reason that the Rugby World Cup is (according to Sports Illustrated) the 3rd most watched sporting event in the world.  So is it really that surprising that the networks would add it to their TV sports line-up?

Anyway, it might not be that baseball "has a problem".  It may simply be that other extremely popular global sports are finding larger and larger audiences within the North American market, and are on an upwards trajectory.  At least that's my theory, for whatever you think it's worth...

Nov 04 23 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Baseball once considered America's past time is now past it's time. I say that sadly as I have been a baseball fan all of my life. I was pulling for the Rangers to win it all but that is only because my St. Louis Cardinals were atrocious this season. I knew the TV ratings would be low for this World Series because of the two teams involved but the 2nd game of the World Series was the LOWEST tv rating in the history of the game!

I have not watched the NFL since they started their social justice nonsense and kneeling during the national anthem. The NBA has sucked since Bird and Jordan retired and while soccer is probably the most popular game in the world it is like watching paint dry.

Rugby is in fact a great game to watch still played by tough dudes. The NFL has become a flag football league.

Nov 05 23 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Adventure Photos wrote:
I love baseball overall, even though the new rules are trying to speed up the game. This is only television crap, as they want to move on to other programming or another sports event near on time.  As a fan, who can't love being at a classic ballpark (which is sort of down to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park).  Sitting in the afternoon sun for 5 hours!   But again, daytime baseball is also dying off. Except for the Cubs.
    So as far as the playoffs.   I'm not an ESPN or even a pay TV person.  Mine is still via antennae with any free digital channel that comes in.   I think the extension of playoffs years ago started to ruin the game. Now , to show how networks don't care, there was NO playoff action ever seen televised at all.   You have to be on some paid sports network.   Only the World Series.  And my guess with just Texas in the semis, and Texas-Diamondbacks as series.    I'd guess the TV viewership was near the bottom of all series televised.    I certainly had no interest at all. 
     Why has America lost interest?   Why do I see rugby and soccer taking up space on a Saturday afternoon on network TV instead of a selection of baseball games.    Has immigration of Euro and Latin people to US shown that much draw to networks that they feel pressured to show these 'other' sports instead of major league baseball?
      I could go on and on. Some call it boring if not seeing home runs or stand up triples every inning.  I love to see the pressure, the mind game between a pitcher and batter.   Pitcher steps back, flips rosin bag, chats with shortstop.  Batter steps out, kicks dirt off shoes.  Fouls off strikes that are not in HIS sweet zone to tire out the pitcher. This is all great fun.   But sadly it is lost on so many viewers these days who want fast paced passes of football or rapid up and down the court slam dunks of basketball instead.    Where is the sport headed is my question.

The most popular sport in the world is association football otherwise known as soccer, where the typical score after 90 minutes of play is 1-0. Go figure.

"  Has immigration of Euro and Latin people to US shown that much draw to networks that they feel pressured to show these 'other' sports instead of major league baseball?"

Except that 30% of MLB players are of Latin or Hispanic origin. You would think that would draw in those  populations to MLB.

Nov 06 23 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

To all above: I realize that soccer (world football) and even rugby are world wide sports, and really only the USA, many Latin American countries and Japan (from our influence post WWII) are the only baseball loving countries.  I like the pace of the game, the sudden action or excitement, the mind games of pitcher -batter, and even old fielding tricks like the 'hidden ball' one.  And I grew up playing ball.    Having grown up American, I've not been exposed much to rugby or soccer, and still see them as 'foreign' sports made more popular with the huge influx of immigrants with those sports of interest.   
      I'm sad to see that TV money influences what we see these days.   The lame idea of 'reality TV' programs which are far from reality has really helped ruin basic social understandings, and they seem to grab more national TV time (I am only looking at the established 4 networks of last 50 some years, not 'Netflix or ESPN paid TV). 
      Everyone knows that in Survival' a guy who is 50 and an ex Marine could run off into the jungle and survive' and win. But they create social challenges and dumb stuff to eliminate people.   Just as the Superbowl only came about after the merger of AFL and NFL did it become THE sports event of the year.   The World Series used to be something; sadly now you hardly know who is in it since the multi stage playoffs are not telecast on networks. They see no money in it. Even with a writers strike going on, they are satisfied with reruns over and over to kill time.   
    I guess as all of us get old, and see many things disappear from our daily lives that we accepted as permanent, the same si going to be said about televised baseball.   Hey, I'm near Chicago and no other city had a team who played day baseball forever and had games televised at 1:20 weekdays in afternoon nearly all summer long  with the Cubs.   Now, even they have switched to less and less afternoon home games, and WGN has given up the televised weekday games.   
      It is a dying sport, and I'm sad to see that happen.   It had a rich history in our country for a good century.

Nov 06 23 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Adventure Photos wrote:
It is a dying sport, and I'm sad to see that happen.   It had a rich history in our country for a good century.

Not so sure about that.

MLB SETS NEW REVENUE RECORD, EXCEEDING $10.8 BILLION FOR 2022

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown … 506d2c77ee

And as I have already said, the televised coverage of MLB is technically exemplary and the emotional intensity is palpable. I watched the World Series for the simple entertainment value - I couldn't care less who won.

Nov 06 23 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Not so sure about that.

/quote]

OK - lots of money.  But the total attendance or 2022 was anywhere from 2 to 9 million less than the years 2000 to 2017.  2023 came in about 1 million more than 2022.

Nov 06 23 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

rxz wrote:

Focuspuller wrote:
Not so sure about that.

/quote]

OK - lots of money.  But the total attendance or 2022 was anywhere from 2 to 9 million less than the years 2000 to 2017.  2023 came in about 1 million more than 2022.

Viewership overall was down, probably due to the two contenders from non-nationally popular teams from large market areas. Yet,

"The World Series also continues to outperform every entertainment program. This was the eighth straight year that has happened.

It was the most-watched event four of the five nights. The only thing to beat it was “Monday Night Football,” when the Detroit Lions beat the Las Vegas Raiders.

"Our two hopes and expectations are to beat everything in entertainment, and to have a long series. We didn’t really get a long series, but we did still beat everything in entertainment," Mulvihill said. “As long as the series continues to do that, it’ll always be powerful in prime time.”

With the addition of the pitch clock and shorter games, ratings on regional sports network were up 7% for the regular season, with 16 of the 29 U.S.-based teams showing improvement.

National regular-season ratings were up for Fox/FS1 and TBS, but flat for ESPN."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m … 429716007/

Nov 06 23 02:14 pm Link