Forums > Model Colloquy > Messages from models who are looking for paid work

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

How do I stop getting personal messages from models who are looking for paid work? I frequently get such messages, especially from models, sometimes from retouchers. Within the last seven days I got three messages of that type. I mentioned in my profile text that I don't want such requests.

Oct 16 22 12:04 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

You could simply ignore them, if they don't meet your requirements.

Oct 16 22 03:55 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Manfred wrote:
How do I stop getting personal messages from models who are looking for paid work? I frequently get such messages, especially from models, sometimes from retouchers. Within the last seven days I got three messages of that type. I mentioned in my profile text that I don't want such requests.

Servus aus Wien.

This site was made for networking. You know, cold calling, promoting your business, etc, now it's just a graveyard of portfolios (for some).
Can't really stop people from soliciting work. wink

Oct 16 22 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Manfred wrote:
Within the last seven days I got three messages...

1) THREE messages! I feel your pain.
2) Not bad for a "dead" website.

Oct 16 22 06:56 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

So, block 'em. Word will soon get around and you can be as isolated as you seem to wish. 

Myself, I don't mind at all. I reply interested or not, even to the retouchers  sometimes.
Reason being: Beginner model A asks long time model B who they should shoot with.
Model A  says ask Gary, he's civil and is likely to be easy to work with.

Beats burning the bridges before you cross them.

Oct 16 22 09:48 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The solicitations seeking pay are annoying. I just ignore them, (mine don't come from models or photographers though, but photo shoppers.) Ugh. Like unwanted email, text spam and phone calls. No thank you.

Oct 22 22 03:42 am Link

Photographer

ImOutOfHere

New York, New York, US

I've written it in my profile. If I still get a message I reply with "Thanks for reaching out, but as my profile states, I'm here for TF shoots." and that's it.

Oct 22 22 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Firestorm Acres

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

I respond back with my rates.

Dec 05 22 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

I usually respond with my rates then get berated, "black listed," and told my career will be ruined.

Dec 24 22 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Apparently, I don't exist.
A blessing and a curse.

Dec 24 22 09:01 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

G Reese wrote:
Beats burning the bridges before you cross them.

You are correct. There was a fashion show person and a model that I disliked very much. Over the last 3 years I have worked with both of them several times and it was very beneficial and lucrative. You never know who is going to be the ones to help your accomplish your goals.

Dec 24 22 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sablesword

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Solicitations by retouchers are annoying if you're not in the market for retouchers. Solicitations by paid models are annoying if your not in the market for paid models. Likewise for makeup artists, photographers, etc.

I'm not in the market for retouchers, so I find solicitations by retouchers to be purely annoying. I am in the market for paid models traveling through my area, so I'm not really bothered by solicitations from models, even when the particular model is someone I'm not interested in working with. It isn't rational, but I don't expect emotional responses to be rational.

Dec 26 22 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Models are welcome to solicit me for paid modelling work. Normally, I will respond and ask them to suggest what their offering is and how it will improve my business and/or art. I have actually hired some models that responded back to me. I'm near Canada's biggest city and have a large selection of models that will work with me. It is great to hear from models that are treating modelling like a business and want to earn $$$.

Dec 26 22 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

veypurr wrote:

You are correct. There was a fashion show person and a model that I disliked very much. Over the last 3 years I have worked with both of them several times and it was very beneficial and lucrative. You never know who is going to be the ones to help your accomplish your goals.

I don't think that I would post that in a open forum.  One of them may see it (unless they already know that you dislike them and like your work enough to disregard it).

Jan 01 23 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

MM exists as a place to message and reach out to others for collaboration. Yes it is frustrating when people blindly message you without looking at your port to look at your body of work and do not read your profile and message people who clearly would not be collaboration partners because of pay, nudity, gender or other very basic dealbreaker issues for models or photographers. Just don’t waste time and delete the messages. I politely decline people who message me who could conceivably be a collaboration, however when it is obvious that the other person is absolutely not a match because of what is in your profile the courtesy of a written response is not necessary.

Jan 05 23 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I might would actually hire some of them, if I ever got messages here at all, which I don't.

Jan 05 23 11:10 am Link

Photographer

PHOTOPHYLIA

Suwanee, Georgia, US

Manfred wrote:
How do I stop getting personal messages from models who are looking for paid work? .

Just say so in your profile.

Jan 10 23 10:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I felt fortunate when traveling models let me know they were going to be in the area and offered to work with me.  It gave me the opportunity to work with highly skilled and highly motivated models, who often were asking for compensation that was on par with local models without the skills and motivation.

I understand that each of us can only do so many projects, but why would anyone want to close the door to talented possibilities.

Jan 10 23 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

Since when did anyone actually read? Just do a quick reply, if your terms are TFP, and say so. It isn't near as bad as all the junk email we all get.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Manfred wrote:
I mentioned in my profile text that I don't want such requests.

ImOutOfHere wrote:
I've written it in my profile. If I still get a message I reply with "Thanks for reaching out, but as my profile states, I'm here for TF shoots." and that's it.

Manfred wrote:
How do I stop getting personal messages from models who are looking for paid work? .

PHOTOPHYLIA wrote:

Does anyone actually read profiles?

Oct 05 23 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Does anyone actually read profiles?

I read enough to know that while we're on opposite sides of the country, we've worked with one model in common.
I mentioned it in the message I sent.

Oct 06 23 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 588

Leslie, Arkansas, US

I do not mind one bit. They are seeking work. Sometimes it is obvious they have not read my profile, such as the retouchers who do not realize my work is all video, but I'd rather have more inquiries than fewer.

Oct 08 23 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

This is a networking site so getting contacted should be the expectation but you have two options.

you can ignore them

You can leave

Personally I always take a second to respond because it is the polite thing to do, doesn't cost anything and sometimes you actually find someone you might want to work with

Oct 09 23 08:10 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Studio 588 wrote:
I do not mind one bit. They are seeking work. Sometimes it is obvious they have not read my profile, such as the retouchers who do not realize my work is all video, but I'd rather have more inquiries than fewer.

When I am networking/advertising I read the profile and look at the portfolio and I can almost tell what the person looks like now based on that information. I know who is going to hire me and who isn't. It is an actual skill-set. I don't just drop a copy/paste to any and everyone. *shrug*

Oct 09 23 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

G Wilson

Dallas, Texas, US

Does anyone ever realize what goes on in these forums?
Endless bitching how the site is dead and when there is communication from a model they bitch about that.
If models were getting booked (hired) by the tight ass cheapskates, they'd be tons of activity on here.

Oct 10 23 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

David L. Stevens

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Manfred wrote:

If a model reached out to you then take it as a compliment that they like your work. I have models reach out to me on a regular basis when they are traveling through my area to gauge my interest in hiring them for a project. It is rare but I have hired some of these models if they would add to my portfolio or if they are willing to be a part of something I specifically have in mind that they would be a good fit for.

If I am not interested I thank them for taking the time to reach out to me and wish them well and good luck.

Oct 11 23 04:36 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

G Wilson wrote:
Endless bitching how the site is dead and when there is communication from a model they bitch about that.
If models were getting booked (hired) by the tight ass cheapskates, they'd be tons of activity on here.

lol

That is exactly what this site is.

Oct 11 23 09:59 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

G Wilson wrote:

This is why I only bother to log in if I know I have messages from photographers who are going to hire me (at my rates).

Otherwise I can just scroll instagram, watch a movie, or read a book. Why log in here to watch my work get devalued in real time...

Oct 30 23 10:09 am Link

Photographer

JohnTozziPhotography

Seattle, Washington, US

PHOTOPHYLIA wrote:

If only it was that easy.

My profile clearly states that I photograph men, but I get messages from women who will be traveling to my area and looking to shoot.

People don’t read profiles.

Oct 30 23 11:27 am Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Liv Sage wrote:
This is why I only bother to log in if I know I have messages from photographers who are going to hire me (at my rates).
Otherwise I can just scroll instagram, watch a movie, or read a book. Why log in here to watch my work get devalued in real time...

You're lucky to be blessed enough to be very selective about who you choose to work with.  I reach out to models from time to time, and the majority of the time it's to inquire about their rates and availability.  It lets me know if I can afford their services.
I've been fortunate as the models have contacted me when they're traveling to my area, and I've been able to hire them.  Sometimes it pays to simply network.

Oct 30 23 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

"...I always take a second to respond because it is the polite thing to do..."
Refreshing to see such a thoughtful response...
Thank you Bob Helm for bringing a touch of professionalism to this thread...

albeit perhaps a candle in the wind...

Wishing all here much joy and success on you career journeys

Nov 04 23 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Thomas Van Dyke wrote:
"...I always take a second to respond because it is the polite thing to do..."
Refreshing to see such a thoughtful response...
Thank you Bob Helm for bringing a touch of professionalism to this thread...

albeit perhaps a candle in the wind...

Wishing all here much joy and success on you career journeys

Very positive message!  Thank you!

Nov 07 23 11:33 pm Link