Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

"Apparently people are protecting themselves from COVID-19 by wrapping themselves in toilet paper."

"Hope this virus situation gets resolved before tick season starts or we'll be dealing with Corona with Lyme"

"The World Health Organization has announced that dogs cannot contract COVID-19. Dogs previously held in quarantine can now be released. To be clear, WHO let the dogs out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNyraY_UTI

Mar 13 20 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

One thing I feel is under reported, is the skew between the infection rate and the deaths. this virus appears to be very infectious, yet the statistics so far paint a picture of something mass people are getting and by and large are recovering. going by the numbers so far, one could say 80% of the people who are getting this, appear to be getting something that seems far milder than whats being reported.

it would seem, the full weight of the reporting is centered on its infectious abilities. there are exceptions, but by and large, people are getting it, and surviving. 

despite what you hear on the news, that this isnt the flu, sure I get this...the elderly and those with underlying illness are especially susceptible to this...but the thing is, they always are, as those are the usual suspects who tend to die the most during any outbreak of whatever, from swine flu, to the regular flu. in large numbers.

Remember the swine flu in 2009? 60 million Americans infected. 17.000 dead, among them many children and the elderly.
yet this thing they are giving a very lopsided view of it.

Mar 13 20 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Absolutely nothing to worry about, folks. As Medal of Freedom winner Dr. Rush Limbaugh has said,"I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus.,,, The coronavirus is the common cold, folks."

Oh! now I feel sooo much better!!. let's go back to free travel around the world! The rest of the world is over reacting!
We are the leaders we know better!! maybe just get extra boxes of tissues if need be...….

Mar 13 20 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:

Oh! now I feel sooo much better!!. let's go back to free travel around the world! The rest of the world is over reacting!
We are the leaders we know better!! maybe just get extra boxes of tissues if need be...….

I know you are being sarcastic, but why?  You are making no sense.  First, that isn't a quote from Limbaugh.  That isn't what he said, so apparently you are commenting on Focuspuller's personal views.  Why?
There are a lot of things going on right now.  There is so much new information.  There is a lot of cooperation going on.  You seem to be stuck behind the times in some kind of lie-world that amuses you.  'Not relevant.

Mar 14 20 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
One thing I feel is under reported, is the skew between the infection rate and the deaths. this virus appears to be very infectious, yet the statistics so far paint a picture of something mass people are getting and by and large are recovering. going by the numbers so far, one could say 80% of the people who are getting this, appear to be getting something that seems far milder than whats being reported.

it would seem, the full weight of the reporting is centered on its infectious abilities. there are exceptions, but by and large, people are getting it, and surviving. 

despite what you hear on the news, that this isnt the flu, sure I get this...the elderly and those with underlying illness are especially susceptible to this...but the thing is, they always are, as those are the usual suspects who tend to die the most during any outbreak of whatever, from swine flu, to the regular flu. in large numbers.

Remember the swine flu in 2009? 60 million Americans infected. 17.000 dead, among them many children and the elderly.
yet this thing they are giving a very lopsided view of it.

It keeps getting repeated that you are at low risk unless you have some combination of being elderly and health issues.

"...they are giving a very lopsided view of it."  Yes, but we have just formulated a new national approach to dealing with pandemics that, if it works, may becomes the basis for future plans.  We may be adjusting our view so that the outcome of something like the H1N1 flu where so many died seems outrageous.  The president will probably start calling shots early rather than waiting around, golfing, and never calling it an emergency.

Mar 14 20 01:01 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Focuspuller wrote:
As Medal of Freedom winner Dr. Rush Limbaugh has said,"I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus.,,, The coronavirus is the common cold, folks."

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
First, that [the above] isn't a quote from Limbaugh.  That isn't what he said....

Here’s the verbatim quote from Rush: “This coronavirus, they’re just — all of this panic is just not warranted. This, I’m telling you, when I tell you — when I’ve told you that this virus is the common cold.“

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Yes, but we have just formulated a new national approach to dealing with pandemics that, if it works, may becomes the basis for future plans.

I see you’ve got your Dr. Epidemiology hat on again. Allow me a simple response-WTF!!! “A new national approach”!!! “The basis for future plans”!!! Ummmmm...The U.S. is playing catch up with the rest of world as to how to competently handle this current pandemic. The U.S. response is being held up as to what NOT to do. I know. I know. Your obvious political beliefs gives you special insight so you know more than the doctors.

Mar 14 20 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
[...]First, that isn't a quote from Limbaugh.  [...]

sorry- you're wrong.

transcript from Rush Limbaugh's Feb 24, 2020 broadcast (as published on his own website):  (bolding is mine)

"Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks."
    -----Rush Limbaugh
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020 … nst-trump/

Mar 14 20 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

rfordphotos wrote:

sorry- you're wrong.

transcript from Rush Limbaugh's Feb 24, 2020 broadcast (as published on his own website):  (bolding is mine)

"Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks."
    -----Rush Limbaugh
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020 … nst-trump/

Thanks.  I stand corrected.

Mar 14 20 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Baanthai wrote:
I see you’ve got your Dr. Epidemiology hat on again. Allow me a simple response-WTF!!! “A new national approach”!!! “The basis for future plans”!!! Ummmmm...The U.S. is playing catch up with the rest of world as to how to competently handle this current pandemic. The U.S. response is being held up as to what NOT to do. I know. I know. Your obvious political beliefs gives you special insight so you know more than the doctors.

You are dreadfully wrong on all points here.  Yes, a novel, new approach and a model for what we will do in the future.  But you have to be aware of what has transpired yesterday to know what was happening in the previous two weeks. 
YOU are showing obvious political bias.

Mar 14 20 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Well apparently, a large chunk of the previous "hold-outs" (that didn't understand the seriousness of the situation) have gotten on board over the last week.

But according to Quinnipiac University Polling, the last real "die-hards" are apparently older Americans who identify Fox News as their main source of news.  That's a little surprising since, despite their earlier days of downplaying and false comparisons to the regular flu, etc, the Fox News brass are now fully onboard.  The shift is to recognize it as a medical crisis rather than a possible political threat.

The Fox News brass memos to their staff called it a very serious crisis, and have ordered a switch to working from home and using Skype, etc.  Along with major steps to block as many staff and vendors from entering the offices, combined with heavily reduced studio bookings, etc.  They also indicated that they have even more steps coming to deal with the "crisis of this magnitude".

Apparently fewer of the Fox News "talking heads" are still in denial, but they're being pushed to get more realistic as there's been a realization that "the network's coverage could harm their very own viewers".

Cross your fingers, as the more people that get educated, the better!

Mar 14 20 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

LightDreams wrote:
Well apparently, a large chunk of the previous "hold-outs" (that didn't understand the seriousness of the situation) have gotten on board over the last week.

The bell curve has seemed to have shifted some but
I know a lot more people that are not taking it seriously
than those that are.

Mar 14 20 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
[...] {just to save space}

Isnt this always the case? In every emergency situation I can remember, the best "medicine" for the "nerves" of the citizens has been clear, concise pertinent information.

Rumors, propaganda, misdirection, outright deliberate misinformation--- just dont serve any good purpose. Inevitably they are exposed as the true facts emerge, and the rumormongers, the liars, the opportunists are exposed, and shown to be the charlatans they are.

We have to get back to a world where it is ok for our leaders to admit--- "hey we dont know yet- we are working on it"

Rather than hollow hopes, admit we dont yet know, tell the truth. The flip side of that is media has to stop beating the hell out of a leader that doesnt have EVERY fact about EVERY situation immediately on hand.

Mar 14 20 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

They are closing the borders between many European countries.

Mar 14 20 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Oh yes...Mr. President I will pray tomorrow....

Mar 14 20 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

LightDreams wrote:

But according to Quinnipiac University Polling, the last real "die-hards" are apparently older Americans who identify Fox News as their main source of news.  That's a little surprising since, despite their earlier days of downplaying and false comparisons to the regular flu, etc, the Fox News brass are now fully onboard.  The shift is to recognize it as a medical crisis rather than a possible political threat.

The Fox News brass memos to their staff called it a very serious crisis, and have ordered a switch to working from home and using Skype, etc.  Along with major steps to block as many staff and vendors from entering the offices, combined with heavily reduced studio bookings, etc.  They also indicated that they have even more steps coming to deal with the "crisis of this magnitude".

Apparently fewer of the Fox News "talking heads" are still in denial, but they're being pushed to get more realistic as there's been a realization that "the network's coverage could harm their very own viewers".

You obviously don't watch Fox News.  You think there are people changing their stories.  I haven't seen it.  They've been telling a consistent story.  You even show how you use poling of university students to provide you with "truth".  "[the "truth" doesn't surprise you because ... you assume something else]"  'Ridiculous!

Mar 14 20 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

rfordphotos wrote:

Rumors, propaganda, misdirection, outright deliberate misinformation--- just don't serve any good purpose. Inevitably they are exposed as the true facts emerge, and the rumormongers, the liars, the opportunists are exposed, and shown to be the charlatans they are.

'Darned right!  You just need to pay attention right now.  One side is lying big time, and it's obvious!

Mar 14 20 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
You obviously don't watch Fox News.  You think there are people changing their stories.  I haven't seen it.  They've been telling a consistent story.  You even show how you use poling of university students to provide you with "truth".  "[the "truth" doesn't surprise you because ... you assume something else]"  'Ridiculous!

Let's stick to facts, shall we?

1)  These are not (to quote you) "poling of university students to provide you with "truth". These are respected national polls.  As Wikipedia describe it, "Quinnipiac University Poll receives national recognition for its independent surveys of residents throughout the United States. It conducts public opinion polls on politics and public policy as a public service as well as for academic research."

2) The Fox News Tucker Carlson shift:  To quote Tucker Carlson (who has the second highest rated show on Fox):  "People you trust — people you probably voted for — have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson told his audience. “Though these people have good intentions as they say this — many of them, anyway ― they may not know any better. Maybe they’re just not paying attention or maybe they believe they’re serving some higher cause by shading reality.”

3) Fox Business Benches Trish Regan After Outcry Over Coronavirus Comments
The host of “Trish Regan Primetime” told viewers this week that concerns about the coronavirus were “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”... etc, etc.  Fox News made a decision to put her show on hiatus "until further notice".  This is not the kind of reaction that they've had in the previous weeks / months to that kind of on air claim.

4) No one (ESPECIALLY Fox News) has disputed the email sent by Fox News Chief Executive Suzanne Scott and Fox News President Jay Wallace and how they described the seriousness of the crisis that we're facing and the emergency orders they issued to all staff.

5) I will ignore your claim that "One side is lying big time, and it's obvious!".  This is about ALL of us, not "one side" or the other.

Others have suggested to you that with your constant baiting and, in this case, claims of "truth" and "ridiculous" doesn't accomplish anything and wouldn't change anyone's mind, or vice versa.  So why not "agree to disagree" and leave it at that?

Or possibly, how about trying to helpful about the situation?  There's a lot at stake for a lot of people.  I know you won't listen to me, but maybe, just maybe, take a bit of advice from Tucker Carlson at Fox News, and/or both the Fox News Chief Executive and the Fox News President?  Or even the more recent approach that is now being taken by the White House?  Or...?

Mar 15 20 07:34 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Interesting that the "Other Countries" (Yellow) line is showing it flat-lining now since all these quarantines went into effect by multiple countries.  China (Orange) has been flat-lining for a while too.  Maybe the worst is over.  Death count daily seems to be dropping as well as it was averaging ~400/day and now it seems <200/day.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar … 7b48e9ecf6

Mar 15 20 08:18 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

From day one, this has been bungled by inept people, using the most knee jerk reactionary measures.  No planning.  No foresight.  Silence the experts, as has been protocol in other areas.  All other areas in which reality doesn't match policy. 

The author of the linked article is speaking from personal experience and observation.  She is not a staff writer.  She is a corporate person.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions … -pandemic/

The administration apparently learned nothing from all the news about what China and other countries were doing, like checking temperatures and isolation, or this botched event, which further illustrates the administrations efforts to silence others:

https://time.com/5792135/coronavirus-wh … employees/

Mar 15 20 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

LightDreams wrote:
Let's stick to facts, shall we?

1)  These are not (to quote you) "poling of university students to provide you with "truth". These are respected national polls.  As Wikipedia describe it, "Quinnipiac University Poll receives national recognition for its independent surveys of residents throughout the United States. It conducts public opinion polls on politics and public policy as a public service as well as for academic research."

2) The Fox News Tucker Carlson shift:  To quote Tucker Carlson (who has the second highest rated show on Fox):  "People you trust — people you probably voted for — have spent weeks minimizing what is clearly a very serious problem,” Carlson told his audience. “Though these people have good intentions as they say this — many of them, anyway ― they may not know any better. Maybe they’re just not paying attention or maybe they believe they’re serving some higher cause by shading reality.”

3) Fox Business Benches Trish Regan After Outcry Over Coronavirus Comments
The host of “Trish Regan Primetime” told viewers this week that concerns about the coronavirus were “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”... etc, etc.  Fox News made a decision to put her show on hiatus "until further notice".  This is not the kind of reaction that they've had in the previous weeks / months to that kind of on air claim.

4) No one (ESPECIALLY Fox News) has disputed the email sent by Fox News Chief Executive Suzanne Scott and Fox News President Jay Wallace and how they described the seriousness of the crisis that we're facing and the emergency orders they issued to all staff.

5) I will ignore your claim that "One side is lying big time, and it's obvious!".  This is about ALL of us, not "one side" or the other.

Others have suggested to you that with your constant baiting and, in this case, claims of "truth" and "ridiculous" doesn't accomplish anything and wouldn't change anyone's mind, or vice versa.  So why not "agree to disagree" and leave it at that?

Or possibly, how about trying to helpful about the situation?  There's a lot at stake for a lot of people.  I know you won't listen to me, but maybe, just maybe, take a bit of advice from Tucker Carlson at Fox News, and/or both the Fox News Chief Executive and the Fox News President?  Or even the more recent approach that is now being taken by the White House?  Or...?

1. OK.  The university poll just sounds like a student poll.  I still put little faith in polls.  I also think you inserted some interpretation that I wouldn't agree with.
2. I agree.
3. OK.  I don’t see a problem.
4. The message you speak of: : In email seen by the paper, Fox News’s chief executive, Suzanne Scott, and president, Jay Wallace, wrote: “We are reducing the staff footprint at our headquarters in New York and some of our bureaus and will be instituting telecommuting starting Monday, March 16th for all of those departments capable of doing so.” 
Yeah.  ‘Looks fine to me.
5. OK.  You don't recognize the sides.  I think we're good.

I don't really have much difference with you except on your first point.  We can agree to disagree on that.

I haven't been "baiting" anyone.  Maybe it's you who are doing that, 'cause it isn't me?

Your last paragraph fails because the one major thing that I'm not going to "listen" to you about is your interpretation of the polls.  Also, I'm fine with your points on Fox, and certainly the WH.

Mar 15 20 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
From day one, this has been bungled by inept people, using the most knee jerk reactionary measures.  No planning.  No foresight.  Silence the experts, as has been protocol in other areas.  All other areas in which reality doesn't match policy. 

Yeah, I can see your point about how so many people (even presidential candidates!) called the president's early imposition of travel restrictions "xenophobic", and now Dr. Fauci of the National Institute of Health (parent of the CDC) has said the president's action was a crucial move.  What a mass buffoonery!  But after two weeks of bipartisan planning, congress has released a new nationwide testing program that will alleviate the huge strain on medical facilities caused by an epidemic under our current practices.

Mar 15 20 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Time for another reminder for those who may still not be taking it seriously.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who has become the White House's more recent face for COVID-19 information,  said today that hundreds of thousands of Americans could die from coronavirus "and it could be worse".

BUT, the challenge "is to try and make that not happen.”

“If we go about our daily lives and not worry about everything” THEN "the death toll will be high,"

Once again, this is for those that may still not be taking it seriously.  Don't panic but understand that one of the most serious dangers are those who ignore it.

Dr. Fauci is being credited with some of the biggest recent shifts in how seriously the White House has been portraying the situation.  He might not always be successful, but he has moved the markers considerably over the last week or so.

Mar 15 20 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
What a mass buffoonery!  But after two weeks of bipartisan planning, congress has released a new nationwide testing program that will alleviate the huge strain on medical facilities caused by an epidemic under our current practices.

[EDIT] Deleted as it's time for me to quit reacting to his claims.  Anyone can easily Google What Congress actually passed for themselves, and at what level they get involved versus where they don't. Additional general funding for the COVID-19 fight, yes, but that one was a while back.  The new relief plan that they did just pass, is quite different, as anyone can check.  However, it did legislate that testing should be free. [/EDIT]

----------------------

In unrelated (breaking) news:

The Federal Reserve just cut their target interest rate to Zero Percent...

Mar 15 20 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

We can all sit around and argue, and point fingers about who or what did what when.... and it wont change the course of this thing a bit. We can all argue to our hearts content when this is all history. (LOL, And I will make my heart content smile)

The ONLY thing that matters now, is what we do from this point forward.

My summary thoughts on the situation:

The fatality rate is hard to determine. If you use ONLY "test confirmed cases", it seems to be about 3.5%. (35 out of a 1000 infected, die.)

But- if you calculate the rate like we do for seasonal flu---- using BOTH tested and suspected (cases with no medical intervention)- the fatality rate will undoubtedly drop much lower. (estimated at a bit less than 1%)

The fatality rates for diseases like SARS and MERS and Ebola etc are all calculated using actual, test confirmed cases. So comparisons to the seasonal flu are really apples to oranges.

They talk a lot about "transmission rates"- how easy it is to infect others. Obviously they are still learning, but it appears to be a bit more contagious than the average seasonal flu, but no where near as bad as the measles. (Measles is considered one of the most contagious common diseases)

Important to note- the "mitigation" they are talking about DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY REDUCE the number of people infected. It simply impedes the spread, slowing it down, so we have a better chance of not overwhelming the medical system. The same number of people will get sick, the same number of people could die.

HOPEFULLY by "flattening" the curve- slowing the spread, we can avoid overwhelming the medical system, and give BETTER health care to the sick, and REDUCE the death rate.

If you remember- the Chinese built SEVERAL huge hospitals in the first month to handle the enormous load on the medical system. I dont think the west could ever do that...

Angela Merkle, Germany's leader, says their govt expects between 60 and 70 percent of the population to become infected. That would be something like 45 million Germans.

If we use the same figures in the US--- (I used 55% getting infected) we would get something like 175,000,000 infected.

Lets play with those numbers....

175,000,000 infected.
lets say 80% get mild cases, and dont need a doctor.
that would be ~140,000,000 staying home, getting well, and returning to normal.
leaving 35,000,000 needing a doctor.
at a worst case fatality rate of 3.5% that is about 1.25 million dead.
at a hopefully more accurate fatality rate of 0.75% about 250,000 dead.

Hey, Mr. Limbaugh- still think it is the common cold?

Mar 15 20 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LOL---- Oh shit its gettin' real now......
closing the BARS------OMG

Bay Area coronavirus updates: All bars and nightclubs must close in California

LATEST, March 15, 2:15 p.m.: California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced all "bars, nightclubs, wineries, brewpubs and the like" must close temporarily due to the threat of coronavirus.

"We are directing that all bars, nightclubs, wineries, brewpubs and the like be closed in the state of California," Newsom announced Sunday afternoon, calling them "nonessential" businesses during the COVID-19 crisis.
[...]

In addition, Newsom asked the state's 5.3 million residents who are 65 or older to self-isolate at home. Seniors and those with chronic illnesses are particularly vulnerable to COVID-19.

"We recognize that social isolation for millions of Californians is anxiety inducing ... but we need to meet this moment head-on," he said.

Newsom said 335 cases of coronavirus have been identified in California, a 14-percent increase from Saturday.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/ … 129171.php

Mar 15 20 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

rfordphotos wrote:
The fatality rate is hard to determine. If you use ONLY "test confirmed cases", it seems to be about 3.5%. (35 out of a 1000 infected, die.)
But- if you calculate the rate like we do for seasonal flu---- using BOTH tested and suspected (cases with no medical intervention)- the fatality rate will undoubtedly drop much lower. (estimated at a bit less than 1%)
Lets play with those numbers....

175,000,000 infected.
lets say 80% get mild cases, and dont need a doctor.
that would be ~140,000,000 staying home, getting well, and returning to normal.
leaving 35,000,000 needing a doctor.
at a worst case fatality rate of 3.5% that is about 1.25 million dead.
at a hopefully more accurate fatality rate of 0.75% about 250,000 dead.

Excellent points.  One question on the math, though.  Doesn't the "more accurate fatality rate" already factor in the cases that don't need a doctor?  I.E. The "more accurate fatality rate of 0.75%" should be applied to the "175,000,000 infected number" instead of the reduced (and already factored in) "35,000,000 needing a doctor" number?

I.E. Is it possible that you've inadvertently knocked down that number twice as a result?

IF so (and I'll leave it to you to check), then 175,000,000 infected times the "more accurate fatality rate of 0.75%" comes up with 1.3 million dead.   Personally I REALLY prefer a lower result, so if I haven't followed what you intended properly then I'll defer to you.

Either way, your point is well made.

Mar 15 20 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
[...]

I.E. Is it possible that you've inadvertently knocked down that number twice as a result?

[...].

Is it possible my math is wrong LOL---- Ohhhhhh Yeahhhhhh- 'rithmetic be hard for me smile

in truth, it was unclear in the stuff I was reading if the lower rate was arrived at the same way as the seasonal flu. I wasnt really able to find out if they were calculating the lower fatality rate including untreated cases, or if they were saying the fatality rate was that low in KNOWN cases. What a surprise, the statistics arent clear.

What I tried to do, I hope successfully, was to represent a realistic lower limit on the expected deaths.

but could I be wrong--- LOL---- for sure!

Mar 15 20 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I see what you mean, I couldn't solidly nail that one down either...

So I tried a completely different approach to come up with a conservative / low-end number:

We know that the lowest multiple that the CDC has claimed is about 10X higher fatality rate compared to the regular flu.  The CURRENT REPORTED numbers are MUCH higher, but we are trying to get a more conservative, and hopefully more realistic, overall END number.

The official death stats from the regular flu in the U.S. for last year are not in yet, and the numbers appear to jump around dramatically.  However the numbers for the previous two seasons (which seem to be on both ends of the spectrum) were 61,000 and 34,200 deaths.  Let's average them out to 47.600 fatalities a year for the regular flu.  Multiply that by the CDC's (very conservative) factor of 10, and you have close to half a million COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. this season.

They're still pretty ugly numbers and ones that I hope turn out to be completely wrong.

[EDIT]  Let's hope that the CDC "10X" factor turns out to be too high, rather than low... [/EDIT]

Mar 15 20 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

nwprophoto wrote:
What should we expect in the USA? Get prepared for?

Maybe national lock down like Italy?!

Mar 15 20 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

nwprophoto wrote:
What should we expect in the USA? Get prepared for?

FFantastique wrote:

I think it is more likely they will target certain groups-- seniors/vulnerable people and restrict them.

California is already asking seniors over 65 to self isolate. I dont find it hard to believe they could make that mandatory.

I think it is reasonable to expect at least regional lockdowns... a more severe form of what they did in New Rochelle.

The CDC is recommending more and more stringent tactics, nearly every day.

I have NO clue how this is all going to work out. Regardless of your personal views on this, I hope each you make safe, responsible decisions that protect you and your families from WHATEVER this turns out to be.

Mar 15 20 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

FFantastique wrote:

Would not surprise me to see it.

Mar 15 20 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel T

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Colorado has banned non-essential visitors to nursing homes, etc.  If we can (more or less) successfully protect the most at-risk population, that should go a long way towards preventing actual deaths.

Mar 15 20 07:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Regarding the travel ban from Europe.  Daily Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO6i8cH8SA

Mar 15 20 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Canada is going to close the border with the US.

Mar 15 20 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Been expecting that.
Maybe Mexico too.

Mar 15 20 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Trudeau has been dropping hints.  It sounds like he's been coordinating things so that both sides would be able to pull the plug at the same time (a politically smarter move).  How far off that is, is unknown.

I think that both countries (and probably many others) are waiting to give as many citizens a chance to get back home first.  Lots of warnings (on this side of the border) about getting home from any other country "while you can", without getting too specific.  I also think that the Governments are thinking in terms of the kind of nightmare problems they'd run into with citizens stranded throughout the world, with all sorts of situations (country by country) blocking them from getting home.  So try and get them all back now, just to be safe.  Of course, they're all supposed to go into 14 day self quarantine upon their return, regardless of the country they were in.

Personally, I doubt that the closure will be specific to the Canada / U.S. border.  I'm going to predict it's when both countries (in conjunction with each other, and probably others), escalate things to generally stop the movement of most people (not freight) from crossing borders.

I notice there's some speculation that the U.S. may bar domestic passenger flights at some point (presumably a later step?).  All to try and contain any "hot spot" areas within the country.  Who knows if that will actually happen, but I suspect that it will depend on how well, or not, things are playing out.

Mar 15 20 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Bars and restaurants in 5 states to close indefinitely.

https://tdn.com/news/state-and-regional … 45fe9.html

"Other governors have instituted such measures. California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday called for all bars, wineries, nightclubs and brewpubs to close in the nation's most populous state. The governors of Ohio, Massachusetts and Illinois also ordered bars and restaurants to shutter."

Mar 15 20 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

I'm not concerned with the virus. I guess if you are pushing 70 yrs. old, or a permanent resident of a nursing home (or have a loved one who is) you should be concerned. I haven't met anyone in Mexico who is concerned, except a French guy who is worried about the travel restrictions and him getting back home in time.

What's with the toilet paper hoarding?

San Francisco has declared a 'state of emergency' because of Corona Virus - yeah, the same city where you have to negotiate used syringes and human feces on the sidewalks.

I can't imagine Mexico closing the border with the US, Mexicans have more sense than that. US Americans - not so much.

I'm planning on a photo shoot the first week of April in the US, I hope people have regained their senses by then, but I doubt it. what is a sane person supposed to do in an insane world?

I imagine people telling their grandchildren about this - 'back in my day, we had to deal with Corona Virus - 2 weeks of voluntary quarantine, all we had to eat was the toilet paper we managed to scrounge from the local Walmart - it was worst than Y2K.' 'Granddaddy - what's a Walmart?'

Mar 15 20 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

valeurfoto

København, Hovedstaden, Denmark

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
They are closing the borders between many European countries.

Jerry is right. My home country, Denmark, has at a very short notice closed it's borders for all foreign visitors, so far untill April 13th. Also all Danish citizens have been advised to return to Denmark as soon as possible.
Things are changing rapidly here at the moment, so I strongly recommend anyone who have planned to go to Denmark to check the actual situation at the Danish Foreign Ministry's homepage at um.dk
Right now I would not recommend anyone at all to try to travel to Denmark, as visitors from abroad are stopped at the borders and returned back home a.s.a.p.

Mar 16 20 05:32 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

https://youtu.be/efaDuE-XEi4

Long video suggests public prepare for lockdown.
Source not vetted.
Calibre of intel not rated.
Provided in as-is condition.
Please do your own due diligence to determine reliability/credibility.

Mar 16 20 05:35 am Link