Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Photographer

Fist Full of Ish

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Trump's correct.  The risk IS low.  It's getting late in the season, and compare to 1918 when 675,000 were killed by the flu. If there were 100K infections, I wouldn't say that, but there aren't many right now.

Feb 29 20 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Influenza cases reported annually by month tend to be vary low to near zero during summer months when looking at the bar charts that go up to 20K to 30K  on the Y axis.  So watching new reported cases of COVID-19 during the summer will show if this virus is different from normal flu viruses.  And whether it survives over the summer and comes back next fall and to what intensity.  Or if it grows during the winter months in the Southern Hemisphere from June to September.   

The other effect is to the economy on manufacturing and tourism.  Stocks have taken a hit in the past week since traders peg stock value to where they think the market will be 2-4 months in the future.  How fast will China's manufacturing return to supply world corporations that depend on parts, etc.  Asian tourists spend a lot in the U.S.  And a slow down in U.S. domestic manufacturing and tourism will impact employment.    Being retired, I think I'll stock up on popcorn.  And do more in home dining.

Mar 01 20 12:42 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I DO NOT want this to appear political in nature- it IS NOT.

It is a shame that the information/misinformation about Covid-19 has nearly become more of an issue than the disease itself.

In a time in the US when the people are looking towards the govt for clear guidelines we are instead getting confused and contradictory information.

I URGE people to be VERY careful of the sources of information they are getting on this outbreak. Some unknown, uneducated blogger isnt a good source of facts- (or some idiot like me)- Twitter probably will be crowded with more misinformation than truth. Same with all social media.

"Reasonable" people say there ARE things we can do, individually, to both prepare for and hopefully mitigate the virus in the US. It isnt the end of the world, but it is an issue we need to deal with.

I choose to use the information I get at : https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html  over the "facts" Mike Pence or Mick Mulvaney seem to be putting forth.

Covid-19 IS NOT the seasonal flu. Basing our nation's response on the "wishful hope" that it behaves the same way seems short sighted to say the very least. We will best be able to defend ourselves if we have GOOD factual information.

I hope this all blows over. I hope when summer comes we will have forgotten this whole episode. I hope we can all get back to shaking our heads over the republicans and democrats arguing with each other over BS.

Mar 01 20 03:17 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Trump's correct.  The risk IS low.  It's getting late in the season, and compare to 1918 when 675,000 were killed by the flu. If there were 100K infections, I wouldn't say that, but there aren't many right now.

Thank god that finally a photographer with an advanced degree in epidemiology and no doubt decades of public health expertise and experience has contributed to this thread and set our fears to rest about this viral hoax.

Mar 02 20 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Baanthai wrote:
Thank god that finally a photographer with a medical degree in epidemiology and decades of public health expertise and experience has contributed to this thread and set our fears to rest about this viral hoax.

You left out Clairvoyant and Weather Forecaster.
We've had 6 deaths in Washington state so far, it is here.
And, we've had fairly heavy (for the coastal area) snowfall in mid-April.
Not unusual to be wet and fairly brisk well into May.

Assuming this is just like the flu (which is not yet known) there may be some basis in fact even though people getting flu in the summer is not unheard of, nor has something "gone away" if it thrives in the Southern Hemisphere for six months. On the other hand, some research shows it is more like a cold virus, summer colds are fairly common and easily spread.

Reality will happen regardless of what people say to make themselves feel good.

Edited, the death toll in Washington state is now 6...

Mar 02 20 07:56 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

You have to remember that the U.S. is 6 weeks behind much of the world in terms of having a good testing and reporting system.  So expect the U.S. number to jump sharply over the new few weeks presuming that they now have a (hopefully?) working set of tests in place.

The virus was officially announced over 2 months ago on Dec 31st.  The Gene Sequence was released about 1 week later.  In British Columbia we had a working reliable test in place 1 week after that which was turned over to the World Health Organization.   A "Political Decision" was apparently made in the U.S. to ignore that test as they wanted to make their own test and "make it better".  The CDC references to a "political decision" was because the medical / scientific Pandemic Response Teams at the CDC, plus the White House overseeing office, along with the supporting teams at the NSC, DHS, and HHS, were all dismantled a couple of years ago.

The U.S.'s own delayed test turned out to be a bit of a mess.  When it did report a positive for COVID-19, it also reported false positives for all sorts of other issues at the same time.  So no one knew what to believe.  Plus, a funding decision had previously been made that only one lab in the U.S. would analyze the test samples.

So you ended up with a strange situation where the Province of BC (where Vancouver is located), as of last Wednesday, had done twice as many COVID-19 tests as had been done in the entire USA (the population of BC is 1 1/2% the size of the U.S.)

No guidance had been sent out to the U.S. as to how to handle the tests, or to properly handle suspected cases for two months until 3 days ago.  3 Days ago the States were instructed to still use these tests and to believe them when they said that COVID-19 was present, but to ignore the same tests on all other false causes.  At the same time (3 days ago) they were allowed to start processing the tests locally to try and get around the "one lab" backlog.  Remember that the preparation for such a scenario would have been handled by the (dismantled) Pandemic Response Teams which would also (normally) have kicked into high gear on December 31st.

The State of New York says that the special U.S. tests are still useless and is going with their own testing system, presumably based on the one the rest of the world is using.

The reason that Washington State declared a State of Emergency is that they figure it's been out there for about 6 weeks with no testing system / numbers to get a better idea of what's really happening.  Plus they figure that they have over 50 people with serious symptoms that they can't officially verify as COVID-19.

The next few weeks should start to get some real numbers for the U.S. (presuming they're right about how to use their "special" test).  Hopefully the numbers will be relatively low and/or the impact will be mostly mild.

Cross your fingers!

Mar 02 20 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Whenever there's a threat of a virus, I try to make sure I have basic cold/flu meds on hand and have some soup and broth stocked in the pantry.   If I get something, I stay home if possible so I'm hopefully not passing it onto others.  I"m a more cautious about trying to ensure I'm not compromising my immune system:  adequate sleep, don't run myself down, eat well, etc.

Mar 02 20 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Mar 02 20 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Fist Full of Ish wrote:
Trump's correct. The risk IS low.  It's getting late in the season, and compare to 1918 when 675,000 were killed by the flu. If there were 100K infections, I wouldn't say that, but there aren't many right now.

Trump, and you, are wrong. We are not talking about the FLU, which has a LOWER mortality rate. We have no idea in the US how many infections we have because of delays in testing, faulty tests, and shrinking the disease control agencies. Even with Pence praying the virus away, the likelihood is a spike in infections in the near future.

Mar 02 20 11:28 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I watched Gov Cumo on the news today and he was doing what a leader is supposed to do, calm people and reduce fear.

He also said the US has the best medical system in the world and especially in NY and NYC. I largely argree with him on this.
But like many other politicians he was also saying in the past that we have the worst in the world, behind every developed county and just barely ahead of some third world countries .

The symptoms are similar to other viruses so how do we know when the first cases showed up anywhere?

How many pandemic scares have we had since 1975 that are going to be worse than the Spanish Flu?

The old and the already sick are most likely to die. That is pretty much true on any day of the year in any place on earth.

Dont worry and wash your hands

Mar 02 20 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Baanthai wrote:

Thank god that finally a photographer with an advanced degree in epidemiology and no doubt decades of public health expertise and experience has contributed to this thread and set our fears to rest about this viral hoax.

Lmao
/thread

Mar 02 20 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

You dont have to be an expert in any of this. all you need is life experience. SAR's, West Nile, Ebola,Swine flu.
most of us are just too old. we've been here before, and the same types will be in absolute panic over the next thing.
I'd worry more about people being susceptible to CNN panic panic panic reports than the actual thing <insert virus here>

Mar 02 20 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Roughly 7.5 Billion people live on the planet.  As of today, a little over 3,000 people have died.  If you had $7.5 billion in the bank, would you be overly concerned about losing $3,000? 

As far as those infected go; there are roughly 90,000 people around the globe.  Rose Bowl stadium seats 90,888.  You could literally fill the Rose Bowl with every infected person on the planet.  How much of an impact would that have on your life, or on your community?

Granted, this virus has the potential to grow exponentially and infect millions of people.  If people practice good hand washing and minimize contact with others for a while though, then it might not spread as bad as we might be imagining.  I'm not going to dismiss all concerns, so I'll still be cautious; but I'm not going to become paranoid about this (At this point, at least) and start building a fallout shelter in my kitchen. 

The media is doing what it normally does, which is stoking fear and cramming that fear into our news feeds every hour of every day.   If the mortality rate was closer to 10% or higher, then I'd be a lot more concerned.  I'm seeing a ton of over-reaction out there though, considering most people will likely just experience something similar to the flu.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, but these two guys are.  I'm likely going to follow their lead, but still keep an eye open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWY0oZV51VY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl2nA_xuHjY

Mar 03 20 03:29 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
If the mortality rate was closer to 10% or higher, then I'd be a lot more concerned.

During the Spanish Flu, between 2% and 3% of those that were infected died. The estimates are that there were between 17 and 55 million fatalities.  Just to put it that 10% figure in perspective.

As of this morning the current fatality rate for COVID-19 appears to be 3 1/2% (3,115 died, 90,000 cases).

That does NOT mean that we'll see the same impact, at all.  It just means that the potential is there.  And, as the World Health Organization says this morning, we're now in uncharted territory.  So yes, we have to to behave in a smart, non-panicked, but cautious way.

The most disturbing thing is how that 3 1/2% actually breaks down when it comes to age. 3 1/2% is just a mathematical average.  If you're young and healthy the odds are almost non-existent. But if you are middle aged +, then the odds are MUCH higher.

That's great news if you're young and healthy, but not so great for the rest.  So don't just write it off, but don't panic either.  Just be practical and smart about it.

Mar 03 20 06:43 am Link

Photographer

Dorola

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I worked in China in 2003 during the SARS outbreak, so I have some first and expirinse at ground zero. Most of what you see in the news is just the media flapping their lips and making noise. The goverenment officials don't want to create panic because is is bad for commerce and they have led the people to beleive that there are effective controls being put in place. Read  how some similar happened over 100 years ago and kill 500 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Mar 03 20 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
You dont have to be an expert in any of this. all you need is life experience. SAR's, West Nile, Ebola,Swine flu.
most of us are just too old. we've been here before, and the same types will be in absolute panic over the next thing.
I'd worry more about people being susceptible to CNN panic panic panic reports than the actual thing <insert virus here>

“It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine,”

Mar 03 20 08:55 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

OK, COVID-19 will not kill off 500 mil to a billion people.  Although the planet could use a reprieve from human infestation.

The economic issues will be with us for awhile.   The annual housewares trade show in Chicago this month has been cancelled.  It draws 50,000+ visitors from over 130 countries plus 2000 vendors.  It's a $77 million hit to the cities economy for just one week.  How many other conferences and trade shows will take a pass in the coming months?  And how about attendance at the start of baseball next month?  Or concerts, theme parks, etc?  The Fed cut interest rates 50 basis points this morning.  The stock market normally goes up.  So far today it's declined.   And the economic impact to uninsured folks who could be quarantined or hospitalized?   The list goes on.   

Today it's a trip to the grocery store and I will have my hand sanitizer with me.

Mar 03 20 09:00 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
During the Spanish Flu, between 2% and 3% of those that were infected died. The estimates are that there were between 17 and 55 million fatalities.  Just to put it that 10% figure in perspective.

As of this morning the current fatality rate for COVID-19 appears to be 3 1/2% (3,115 died, 90,000 cases).

That does NOT mean that we'll see the same impact, at all.  It just means that the potential is there.  And, as the World Health Organization says this morning, we're now in uncharted territory.  So yes, we have to to behave in a smart, non-panicked, but cautious way.

The most disturbing thing is how that 3 1/2% actually breaks down when it comes to age. 3 1/2% is just a mathematical average.  If you're young and healthy the odds are almost non-existent. But if you are middle aged +, then the odds are MUCH higher.

That's great news if you're young and healthy, but not so great for the rest.  So don't just write it off, but don't panic either.  Just be practical and smart about it.

Just to add a bit to what you are saying. It appears that the very young (10 and younger) can get infected, but all will recover.

Mar 03 20 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

What's your point, exactly? "SAR's, West Nile, Ebola,Swine flu..."  were no big deal? Nothing to worry about? And your gratuitous swipe at CNN speaks volumes.

Mar 03 20 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dorola wrote:
I worked in China in 2003 during the SARS outbreak, so I have some first and expirinse at ground zero. Most of what you see in the news is just the media flapping their lips and making noise. The goverenment officials don't want to create panic because is is bad for commerce and they have led the people to beleive that there are effective controls being put in place. Read  how some similar happened over 100 years ago and kill 500 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Key Point: Its not 100 years ago or the middle ages

Mar 03 20 09:50 am Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

matt-h2 wrote:
Just to add a bit to what you are saying. It appears that the very young (10 and younger) can get infected, but all will recover.

Ah, but grade schools are great for spreading contagions.  Kids come home and infect other family members including grand parents.  My aunt caught chicken pox from her 9 year old daughter and died.

Mar 03 20 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

LightDreams wrote:

I get that.  Even if 3% of the billions of people out there get sick, that still means millions could die.

I think the big difference between 1918 and today though, is how advanced science and medicine have become since then.  Our standard of living is also much better than it was back then.  So, while tons of people will get sick, I wonder if the fatalities will level off in first world countries. 

China might be technologically advanced, but it also has a billion people to take care of.  I don't imagine they're all living in the best conditions or have access to good hospitals.

Mar 03 20 10:39 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I get that.  Even if 3% of the billions of people out there get sick, that still means millions could die.

I think the big difference between 1918 and today though, is how advanced science and medicine have become since then.  Our standard of living is also much better than it was back then.  So, while tons of people will get sick, I wonder if the fatalities will level off in first world countries. 

China might be technologically advanced, but it also has a billion people to take care of.  I don't imagine they're all living in the best conditions or have access to good hospitals.

Agreed. Plus we have much better ability to communicate to everyone the steps to take to better protect themselves.  The more that people calmly adjust, and act accordingly, the better.

Mar 03 20 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

This morning's perspective on the Stock Market with the Fed cutting rates.
For an unknown period of time we will be entering a "stay at home" economy.

Bank stocks come down when interest rates go down.

Cyclicals go down when people stay home, so do restaurants, nightclubs (sales of liquor and certain food items), hotels and casinos, etc.

On the other hand, stocks that sell staples and "safe haven" stocks (precious metals for one) will be stable or go up as sellers abandon weakening sectors and move money into something less risky.

There will be opportunities to buy the dips of some excellent companies that get dragged down in the events of the day but do not deserve the downgrade long term. The first health care company to come up with a vaccine will do well but this takes about a year.

https://www.thestreet.com/video/jim-cra … ncerned%27

Mar 03 20 11:42 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Yes, this isn't 1918 in terms or personal nutrition and health for many of us here in the developed nations.  But for many people in the developed nations and through out the world, there are similarities to life in 1918.  It doesn't matter how good health care has become if there isn't any available to you or you can't afford it.  Just because a large segment of the population is better off nutritionally, it doesn't mean there aren't millions of people who can't afford to eat right, or have access to good food.

But this isn't 1918.  And the stark reality is that if the fatality rate for this disease is 2% in this country, it is 2% in this country.  The conditions of life in 1918 are not relevant.  A disease that has a 2% fatality rate now, probably would have had a much higher rate in 1918.  And the truth is, we have no idea what the infection rate or the fatality rate will be. 

Can we do what the Chinese did?  I talked to a friend in China this morning, her store hasn't been open for a month.  I got videos from another friend yesterday, of her adult daughter playing the piano.  The daughter lives in Australia and her flight was canceled while she was on a layover.  She had to get another flight back to her mother's city, and she has no idea when she can return home to Australia.  Meanwhile, she is still paying rent and expenses and has no income.  Another woman I know is enjoying her time, and not getting any sleep, because her daughter and brand new granddaughter came to visit her for spring festival, and they can't go home!  If this stuff happens in the USA, how will people who live paycheck to paycheck survive and how is that going to affect the fatality rates?  But thank God the interest rate was lowered a half a point.

Mar 03 20 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

LnN Studio wrote:
I watched Gov Cumo on the news today and he was doing what a leader is supposed to do, calm people and reduce fear.

He also said the US has the best medical system in the world and especially in NY and NYC. I largely argree with him on this.
But like many other politicians he was also saying in the past that we have the worst in the world, behind every developed county and just barely ahead of some third world countries .

No, not what he was saying. We may have the best medical care available...if you have insurance or can afford it. We are at the bottom of the list as to universal availability and outcomes versus money spent, including the highest drug prices in the known universe. Pathetic, actually.

Mar 03 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

And, the 9th known death from coronavirus has been reported in Washington State.
North Carolina and Florida have confirmed cases.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/novel-coronav … 00833.html

If we take the 3% fatality rate as our measure, there would currently be 300 infected in the proximity of King and Snohomish Counties in Washington. If we believe our survival rate will be higher, say a fatality rate of 1%, then it means there could be as many as 900 infected in those areas.

We will see more areas reporting cases, this is spreading.

Mar 03 20 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Focuspuller wrote:
What's your point, exactly? "SAR's, West Nile, Ebola,Swine flu..."  were no big deal? Nothing to worry about? And your gratuitous swipe at CNN speaks volumes.

Too bad so sad, cry me a river. I suspect you like most here couldnt even say what the particulars of each of those viruses I mentioned without google. THAT is what speaks volumes.  just farts in the wind in relation to the big picture and the media hype.
you panic. you swim with the wave. I know its silliness for a certain type who buys this ...every...single..time.

Mar 03 20 02:03 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

LnN Studio wrote:
How many pandemic scares have we had since 1975 that are going to be worse than the Spanish Flu?

Approximately 32 million people have died of AIDS since the 1980s.

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
The conditions of life in 1918 are not relevant.  A disease that has a 2% fatality rate now, probably would have had a much higher rate in 1918.  And the truth is, we have no idea what the infection rate or the fatality rate will be.

Bubonic Plague has a modern mortality rate of around 10% for people who have access to decent hospitals. In the 14th Century, the mortality rate was around 60%.

***DISCLAIMER***

I have a degree in epidemiology. But! It’s from Trump University.

Mar 03 20 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Too bad so sad, cry me a river. I suspect you like most here couldnt even say what the particulars of each of those viruses I mentioned without google. THAT is what speaks volumes.  just farts in the wind in relation to the big picture and the media hype.
you panic. you swim with the wave. I know its silliness for a certain type who buys this ...every...single..time.

MEDIA hype? You are a joke. The tsunami of misinformation, lies, utter nonsense, and "1984" newspeak coming from the slugs and drones of the most incompetent administration in history is all yours to defend. Enjoy yourself, friendo.

Mar 03 20 02:59 pm Link

Artist/Painter

ethasleftthebuilding

Key West, Florida, US

How many of those deaths in Washington state were in the one nursing home?

Check that out and think about it for a minute.

The death rate among the nursing home (old age and weak health) population would not be the same as the death rate among the general population.

Mar 03 20 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:

The death rate among the nursing home (old age and weak health) population would not be the same as the death rate among the general population.

I agree, it should be higher among the elderly but we have little or no reliable data regarding the age or health conditions of the victims from other countries to compare to.

Most of our current worldwide stats came from China.
If you think they are going to provide detailed, factual information, think again.
We don't know much except raw numbers and those may or may not be reliable.
Their conditions are not like ours either, the quality of life is very different.

Your hypothesis is based on a sound idea, that disease will be more devastating to the elderly, the infirm, etc.
What is interesting is that they were not mobile, not cirulating among the general populace. So, how did the infection get into the nursing home? Somebody who works or was visiting there brought it.

Which means the coronavirus is circulating in the general population. It also means that if the death rate is lower than the current 3% figure that is calculated from assumed data from other countries, then the number of infected people could and should be much higher if we can postulate a ratio based on current fatalities.

One problem with that is as Light Dreams has pointed out, our testing system is well behind the curve. The Governor of Washington declared a state of emergency specifically because we do not know what our level of infection is here, yet.

It would have been easy to use the methods that were already proven for testing but poor decisions have been made at the national level, retarding progress.

News today was of confirmed cases in Florida and North Carolina, on the other side of the country. We will see more of this, you cannot contain people without diagnosis and that has been delayed by unreliable tests. We are (thankfully) not China and can't simply dictate to people what they will or will not do.

It is entirely possible that we will not have meaningful statistics on how the virus affects people in our country for some time to come. That makes it very difficult to reach any meaningful conclusions.

If it only kills the elderly that is still a hell of a lot of people.

Mar 03 20 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:

The percentages he used were the average of ALL of the population, both the very healthy that were infected and the much more vulnerable.  So, based on what the authorities have said about it to this point, that rough math still applies.

To explain a little more.  There were, apparently, an unknown number of intermediate sources (i.e. in the general population) that got it to the nursing home.  There was no direct single link from a traveler to the nursing home that would support the single isolated group logic.  That's why the authorities were so concerned when they labelled it a "community based transmission" event.   It would have made everyone's lives a lot easier if there was a single direct source...

So the percentage applies to all of the people that were infected (and their offshoot infections) along the way including the nursing home.  So the logic Shadow Dancer originally used would be correct.  But it is clear that who dies (that percentage out of the total number of the general population that was infected) is going to be overwhelmingly tilted in terms of those that are older and in poor health (i.e. the nursing home).

P.S.  Two men in their twenties who the Seattle PI says have been added to the list (that were in Issaquah, Washington), don't have any known connection to the nursing home or any recent travel.  They're a mystery ("community based transmission").  The new case in North Carolina, however, is different.  That one DOES have a direct link to the Washington State Nursing home.

Mar 03 20 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

A few days ago, I saw a good headline reminding us all that the Coronavirus is our enemy, not the [insert group of your choice here].

I think we all need to remind ourselves that the disease is the issue we need to be do battle with, not each other or the talking heads on TV and in govt.

Repeating rumors, half-truths, conspiracy theories etc etc will do ABSOLUTELY nothing helpful.

This is 2020. Lucky for us, most of the first world has sufficient medical tech to deal with a fairly severe pandemic, should one come. The third world may well pay a steeper price.

I am seeing the epidemiologists starting to compare this to the Asian Flu pandemic of 1957-1958. Not anywhere near as serious as the 1918 Spanish Flu, but it still killed about 2 million people worldwide and about 69,000 in the US.

As an old fart-(68) with COPD and CHF--- I am apparently one of the favorite targets of the virus.... LOL- Like I needed someone else shooting at me......

Mar 03 20 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

LightDreams wrote:
But it is clear that who dies (that percentage out of the total number of the general population that was infected) is going to be overwhelmingly tilted in terms of those that are older and in poor health (i.e. the nursing home).

You could probably add the homeless population into the higher risk group.

Mar 03 20 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

It would be interesting if China can trace back and identify patient "0" and the date of the first infection.  December, November, earlier?  And then make it public?

Mar 03 20 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

rxz wrote:
It would be interesting if China can trace back and identify patient "0" and the date of the first infection.  December, November, earlier?  And then make it public?

What would this accomplish ?

Mar 03 20 06:17 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Baanthai wrote:
Bubonic Plague has a modern mortality rate of around 10% for people who have access to decent hospitals. In the 14th Century, the mortality rate was around 60%.

What is your point?  Are you just trying to bring a disease with a higher death rate into the discussion?  Or are you trying to say that current conditions reduce the death rate of BP?  BP is caused by a bacterium, so it can be treated with common antibiotics.  What you didn't mention is, without treatment, the fatality rate for BP is way higher than 10%.  10% is more like the low end of the survival rate.

We don't have historical data to compare CV-19 disease against.  The only data we have is from the past few months.  So, I reiterate:  The fatality rate for CV-19 in 2020 is the fatality rate of CV-19 in 2020.  You can break it down by country or age group, but even then the rate is the rate.  It doesn't matter what happened in other pandemics, with other disease, or in other times.

In other news: New Hampshire has a second confirmed case that was spread by a man that was told to self quarantine, and he didn't.  He went to a party.  The carrier works for a medical center.  Sheez.  So, expect a lot of cases in New Hampshire.

Mar 03 20 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

Focuspuller wrote:

MEDIA hype? You are a joke. The tsunami of misinformation, lies, utter nonsense, and "1984" newspeak coming from the slugs and drones of the most incompetent administration in history is all yours to defend. Enjoy yourself, friendo.

I will enjoy myself. for another 4 years of secure borders, a great portfolio and the killing of america's enemies.
hey I hear you can buy a hazmat suit on amazon. get it while you can!

Mar 03 20 07:18 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
What is your point?

You need to improve your reading comprehension, both what you read and what you’ve written.

Hunter GWPB wrote:
It doesn't matter what happened in other pandemics, with other disease, or in other times.

And there it is-A fundamental mistruth being coughed up like a viral fur ball. Sorry but the study of epidemiology really does matter. Past epidemiological experience and knowledge is wholly relevant to solving a pandemic of today. Yes, there really are experts that know more than you or me.

Mar 04 20 06:19 am Link