Forums > Model Colloquy > Model thoughts on senior photographers

Photographer

Phil_I

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

There is a thread in Photography Talk forum on "Any photographers over age 40 in here": https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/976077 - it appears that were infact a number of photographers over 60. I myself am approaching 70. I was wondering what part the photographers age the model takes into consideration in the decision making process. Do models go for the quality of the images in the photographer's portfolio and other sources of the photographers ability or do some consider the more "aged" or "senior" photographers to be more "creepy". From my own experience I have had numerous shoots with the models I have shot with and my age has not been a problem to them - in fact I have become friendly with many of them and have been asked to be the photographer for some of their special events. But many of their friends have told them it is rather creepy having a senior person photographing them.

Jun 28 19 03:01 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I'm 72 Phil. Age seems to be the last consideration, if at all. Although, I notice there are more hugs than handshakes these days. :-) 
I think it is much more how they are treated from the get go. I think most can tell by the way you say hello exactly what you have in mind.
Professionalism is ageless.

Jun 28 19 05:03 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Now that I am 76 years old and unable to financially compensate models my MM contribution is down to almost zero.
Also it has become physically more challenging to go up and down a step ladder to set up backdrop lights etc.....
I worked from the dinning area of my apartment.....That being said, I never felt that any models had any problems with my age
gap (Average 45 to 50 years gap!!) and my nonprofessional shooting environment.

Jun 28 19 05:05 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

A photographers career is long lived. A model's career, in general, is very short lived. Drink it up while you can. I have gone to many meets and always see photographers in their 60's and even 70's. We all end up there some day.

Jun 28 19 04:25 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Phil_I wrote:
There is a thread in Photography Talk forum on "Any photographers over age 40 in here": https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/976077 - it appears that were infact a number of photographers over 60. I myself am approaching 70. I was wondering what part the photographers age the model takes into consideration in the decision making process. Do models go for the quality of the images in the photographer's portfolio and other sources of the photographers ability or do some consider the more "aged" or "senior" photographers to be more "creepy". From my own experience I have had numerous shoots with the models I have shot with and my age has not been a problem to them - in fact I have become friendly with many of them and have been asked to be the photographer for some of their special events. But many of their friends have told them it is rather creepy having a senior person photographing them.

Hello,
Considering that I am in "old age" or the "third act" of my life now I don't necessarily have any views. Still, I'm not likely the average online model and started briefly in my 20s before the internet or digital was really a thing. As far as I can recall I didn't care about the ages of the photographers I shot with then were really. Still, it was only a brief attempt at fashion modeling in Chicago then so maybe it was a different mindset.
Jen

Jun 28 19 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Visual Delights

Austin, Texas, US

Before a first shoot, communications between photographer and model usually take place through messages and texts, so a model probably wouldn't know the photographer's age until they actually meet. As a result, at least for an initial shoot, it seems that a model couldn't take the photographer's age into account.

Jun 29 19 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I find it interesting, perhaps even telling, that no model thus far has responded to the OP question. Or perhaps the silence is the answer.

Jun 29 19 09:14 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Weldphoto wrote:
I find it interesting, perhaps even telling, that no model thus far has responded to the OP question.

Do you wish to change your post ?

Jun 29 19 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
Do you wish to change your post ?

He was off by one. The point still stands. It's all too common in this part of the forum for photographers to chime in overwhelmingly on questions directed specifically to models. It's why the models now have their own models-only colloquy.

I just wish we photographers were able to view that models-only part of the forum while still being unable to post to it. We could learn a thing or two.

Jun 29 19 11:33 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've never asked for a photographer's age before working with them - whoever is on the other side of the camera is a complete surprise to me when I show up, unless we've connected on other social media and I've happened across a photo of them or something.

I've had good and bad experiences with people of all ages, but I will say that the few younger people I worked with seemed a bit more humble/afraid of looking like they didnt know what they were doing. I've never had a younger male photographer act like a complete ass trying to talk down to me and make himself look like some bigshot, it's always been the "I've been doing this since before you were born" guys.

Jun 29 19 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Orca Bay Images wrote:
I just wish we photographers were able to view that models-only part of the forum while still being unable to post to it.

Disagree.

Couple of reasons there are only few posts from models:

Most models do not follow forums.
Models do not want to shoot themselves in the foot bc some photographers might get upset.

Jun 30 19 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

I'm 82 and in my experience and observation, it's a problem only with the most inexperienced models, as is the unreasonable fear of male photographers generally.  I submit that much of that fear is sparked by those outside the industry who see us all, models and photographers, as depraved oversexed monsters, augmented by a cadre of white knights among our ranks.

Although I have no statistics to back it, it seems to me that this problem has been much reduced here with the creation of the models only forum, to which most of the white knights are forbidden.  If so it may be the biggest benefit of that forum.

Jun 30 19 05:56 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PHP-Photography wrote:

Disagree.

Couple of reasons there are only few posts from models:

Most models do not follow forums.
Models do not want to shoot themselves in the foot bc some photographers might get upset.

There used to be tons of models in the forums.

We know what happened.

Jul 02 19 08:08 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
He was off by one. The point still stands. It's all too common in this part of the forum for photographers to chime in overwhelmingly on questions directed specifically to models. It's why the models now have their own models-only colloquy.

I just wish we photographers were able to view that models-only part of the forum while still being unable to post to it. We could learn a thing or two.

Trust me, you are not missing anything at all. I started to look and actually post in there recently. It is as dead as the rest of the place, (and I suspect caused a huge part of the last level of demise here but, that is just my opinion.)
All the drama for nothing.
Jen

Jul 02 19 09:23 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

G Reese wrote:

This. In my experience, the only photographers who have ever lacked professionalism tended to be the younger ones. Older photographers know their stuff and know how to behave with professionalism and good manners.

Jul 03 19 08:57 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Creepy has never been associated with the age of a photographer or artist. From my experience some of the younger to middle age ones are more likely to have that problem, not the older ones.

I pick who to work with by quality of their work, which is also not age related. I also work with a lot of students, particularly college students in art or photography classes. Over the 30+ years I have been modelling, I have posed for student artists as young as 14 or 15 in life drawing groups (who were there with permission of their parents and the director of the group) and I have also posed for photographers and artists well over age 80.

Jul 04 19 05:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Michelle Genevieve wrote:

This. In my experience, the only photographers who have ever lacked professionalism tended to be the younger ones. Older photographers know their stuff and know how to behave with professionalism and good manners.

This is a good point!  I don't think that anyone has mentioned it before.

Jul 04 19 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Rick Jolson

Ellicott City, Maryland, US

Jul 07 19 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Jolson

Ellicott City, Maryland, US

G Reese wrote:
I'm 72 Phil. Age seems to be the last consideration, if at all. Although, I notice there are more hugs than handshakes these days. :-) 
I think it is much more how they are treated from the get go. I think most can tell by the way you say hello exactly what you have in mind.

I'm 73 and could not agree more!

Jul 07 19 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Grofton

New Port Richey, Florida, US

We are not old we are vintage. And there are some models that are modeling into the 60's

Jul 18 19 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Old Photographers Don't Disappear . . .
We Just Fade Away . . . . .

Jul 18 19 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Like in here?
https://bogatiurns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/102097386-155902364.1910x1000.jpg

Jul 18 19 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Models even clients who will not work with me due to some flaw in me that has nothing to do with my work have saved myself any further trouble. I am grateful for any superficial filters.

Jul 19 19 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

I’m nearly 69 and I think a male photographer’s age is certainly a factor when shooting much younger female models.

I think this is perfectly understandable.

But it does depend on the model and the circumstances of the shoot.  The more experienced and professional the model, the less it’s likely to be a factor.

And with fashion models not at all, in my experience.

Jul 23 19 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Derek Ridgers

London, England, United Kingdom

Laura UnBound wrote:
We know what happened.

I don’t know what happened but I do know there are so few people posting on these forums now that it doesn’t seem worth me checking in here any more.

I think they are still a valuable resource, if one has a very specific question but as a forum per se, it seems moribund.

A real shame IMHO.

Jul 23 19 04:12 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Derek Ridgers wrote:
I’m nearly 69 and I think a male photographer’s age is certainly a factor when shooting much younger female models.

Shooting with an older photographer is safer for the model, they can outrun us smile

Jul 23 19 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
Shooting with an older photographer is safer for the model, they can outrun us smile

Kinda agree!

I was a model internationally for many years, and I had to do a lot of freelance work too.

I have shot with a great many SENIORS and they were almost all quite charming and 'safe'' 

;-)

It was more likely a commercial shoot had a younger photographer
but also more likely they might be, well, rushed rude offhand inconsiderate ...
ie make you feel less comfortable
or hit on you !

SENIORS by and large, did not expect model interest - just to do a creative job together

Jul 25 19 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

From what I have read in other threads on the subject and in my personal experience, most models don't consider the age gap to be important, far fewer than the older photographers fear.  And most of those that do have a preference on the subject actually feel more comfortable with the photographer in their dad's age range or older.

Aug 11 19 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Like our "C" prints.

Oct 15 19 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/841542/1

Ancient record shows that there indeed are models who have difficulty emoting for a camera if it’s handled by an elderly gentleman!😉

Oct 17 19 12:23 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Personally i do not care about the age of the photogrpaher,  but I care about  their level of health.
If the shoot gets cut short because dearie needs to lay down it generally sucks.

Manners should be present in young and old alike.

On a sidenote, I've done some of my best work with senior photographers.

Oct 18 19 01:03 pm Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

G Reese wrote:

100%

Oct 26 19 07:47 am Link

Photographer

RPJimages

Thousand Palms, California, US

An interesting thread that is pertinent to me. I recently worked with a 35 year old model/photographer. We took it turns to model (nude) out in the desert. We were very comfortable with each other despite having never met before.
Yes. I do still model at the age of 68 and have posted a few images of myself on my photographer profile.
Do you think it's a good idea to include those images of myself or should I start another profile as a sixty something model?
Thanks
Richard

Sep 20 20 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Seems there was a quote I heard many Years ago, something about Models getting old while Photographers get better.

Sep 20 20 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Am I the only one who thought this headline was in regards to school yearbook photos...lol

Sep 21 20 01:28 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Photographers should be forced to retire at 47

Sep 21 20 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

veypurr wrote:
Photographers should be forced to retire at 47

agree, then maybe zombie threads like this one wouldnt get bumped so much, and the models' forum wouldnt have gotten overran.
i'll retire before 47.

Sep 21 20 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Am I the only one who thought this headline was in regards to school yearbook photos...lol

Nope. :-D

Oct 03 20 07:09 pm Link

Model

Kayla_Ann

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Phil_I wrote:

Honestly, age DOES tend to be a yellow flag for me and the "creepy" factor DOES cross my mind--but I try to just ignore that, because no one deserves judgement straight out of the gate without even knowing them personally.

I have already been mistreated by young and more senior photographers... The main "creep" factor that often comes up for me with older males is that some feel completely justified in how they mistreat women. The fact is that women had a lot less independence and sexual freedom even 30 years ago than we have now--and a lot of older men seem resistant to fully respecting me as a creative equal--especially when it comes to shoots in which I won't have much or any clothes on.

My two worst experiences have been with a photographer who was in his early 20s and a photographer who I estimate was probably late 60s. The latter photographer tried to ask me out on a date after a business meeting that ended in casual conversation that was dripping with misogyny and victim blaming women for sexual harassment.

Honestly, it's probably mainly that I find it impossible to understand how after 60+ years on this earth, there are still older men that don't actually see women as human beings with feelings. I'm much more accepting of younger people who haven't woken up to that fact yet.

All this aside, if someone respects me fully, I'm more than happy to shoot any genre with them including nude and erotic.

Oct 15 20 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:
A photographers career is long lived. A model's career, in general, is very short lived. Drink it up while you can. I have gone to many meets and always see photographers in their 60's and even 70's. We all end up there some day.

Most of the workshops I've been to, or any event with other photographers, most were thrice my age.

Well past tense because now they are only twice my age.

There is no indication that professional models care, as they are exposed to this reality far more than I ever would be, until the other photographers are not twice my age but the same.

Oct 15 20 02:34 pm Link