Forums > General Industry > ** Reminder ** - No Outing Thread allowed

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wait...wait a second.
First, are you saying we can't warn fellow MMers that there is a problem person out there? Without mentioning a name? Isn't that making MM an accessory to a crime if the person should happen to rape or kill a fellow MM model and we just had to sit idly by?

Second, I believe one person was Punished for outing someone that had their age at over 100. Is this correct. How the f*&k is that outing? It's pointing out a mistake. Someone who incorrectly puts their age in is not going to come up in searches. If that's there reason, that's defeating the purpose of this networking site. If it was a mistake, it's helping them. If it was done by an underage model, it is helping find them.

Dec 09 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Ban Stick..."Ban" stick, haha...? Maybe that Angels jersey should be autographed.

Dec 09 06 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Vito wrote:
Wait...wait a second.
First, are you saying we can't warn fellow MMers that there is a problem person out there? Without mentioning a name? Isn't that making MM an accessory to a crime if the person should happen to rape or kill a fellow MM model and we just had to sit idly by?

Second, I believe one person was Punished for outing someone that had their age at over 100. Is this correct. How the f*&k is that outing? It's pointing out a mistake. Someone who incorrectly puts their age in is not going to come up in searches. If that's there reason, that's defeating the purpose of this networking site. If it was a mistake, it's helping them. If it was done by an underage model, it is helping find them.

The idea is simple:  you can't post someone's name on these public forums, warning others of potential problems.

For example:  I can't tell everyone that Vito touched his models inappropriately & then refused to pay them (neither is true -- I'm just making it up for illustration).

Why is this a bad thing? 
     1) We have no proof that the OP is telling the truth.  Why should we belive it?
     2) The accused isn't given a chance to present her/his side of the story.
     3) If the accused can show damages, he or she can sue not only the OP but also
         MM.  Even if the accused doesn't win, her/his suit can cost folks lots of money
         and could potentially result in MM being shut down.

So, suck it up.  If someone asks you for a reference, go ahead & say whatever you want to say.  But just don't use these forums to air your dirty laundry.

Dec 10 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

The idea is simple:  you can't post someone's name on these public forums, warning others of potential problems.

For example:  I can't tell everyone that Vito touched his models inappropriately & then refused to pay them (neither is true -- I'm just making it up for illustration).

Why is this a bad thing? 
     1) We have no proof that the OP is telling the truth.  Why should we belive it?
     2) The accused isn't given a chance to present her/his side of the story.
     3) If the accused can show damages, he or she can sue not only the OP but also
         MM.  Even if the accused doesn't win, her/his suit can cost folks lots of money
         and could potentially result in MM being shut down.

So, suck it up.  If someone asks you for a reference, go ahead & say whatever you want to say.  But just don't use these forums to air your dirty laundry.

Just curious here, but if a model or photographer made a list of names on their profile of those they had worked with and gave them a star rating (say, 1 to 5) beside their name or MM number, would that violate MM rules?  No information or accusations other than a rating, no stories or remarks - just 1 to 5 stars beside a name.

Dec 10 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Just curious here, but if a model or photographer made a list of names on their profile of those they had worked with and gave them a star rating (say, 1 to 5) beside their name or MM number, would that violate MM rules?  No information or accusations other than a rating, no stories or remarks - just 1 to 5 stars beside a name.

Dunno.  I'm not a moderator.

In general, I think that both models & photographers should ask for references more often than they do.  (I tell all potential models that they are welcome to contact any model I've worked with, and I am careful to attribute the photographs I post in my profile for that reason).

Here's something to think about:  what is the objective of your profile?  I'd say that the objective of the profile is to make a good first impression.  Therefore, I attempt to say only positive things on my profile (and post only my best images in my portfolio).  What impression would you get if you saw a profile that devoted considerable energy to negative comments/ratings on some models?

Some folks thought about posting a no-show list on their profiles.  If I saw such a list, I would think two things:
   1)  I don't know the full story behind the alleged no-show.  Perhaps the
        owner of the list was to blame?  We don't see the full story, and the accused
        doesn't have an opportunity to tell their side of the story.
   2)  I do know that the owner of the profile has devoted valuable first-impression
        space to airing negative dirty laundry.  That tells me that the profile owner is
        mean spirited & vindictive, which is not the kind of person whose judgement
        I respect.

Dec 10 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Some folks thought about posting a no-show list on their profiles.  If I saw such a list, I would think two things:
   1)  I don't know the full story behind the alleged no-show.  Perhaps the
        owner of the list was to blame?  We don't see the full story, and the accused
        doesn't have an opportunity to tell their side of the story.
   2)  I do know that the owner of the profile has devoted valuable first-impression
        space to airing negative dirty laundry.  That tells me that the profile owner is
        mean spirited & vindictive, which is not the kind of person whose judgement
        I respect.

I do not like the idea of dirty laundry lists either.  A star rating system could mean anything from no-show flakes to models showing up on time, but being difficult to work with (Divas) to being a reliable and pleaseant model, but awkward & stiff in her posing, or blatantly misrepresenting her appearance & weight in her profile to being the best model I've ever worked with.  Similar with models ratings of Photographers.  A star rating would require a personal message to the profile owner to get clarification on why XXX got 2 stars and XXXX got 5 stars.  With a star rating, there is no "he said-she said" B.S. going on.  Like a movie critics rating of a film, it is completely subjective, and could not be considered libelous. (YMMV.)

Dec 10 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jim Ball wrote:
I do not like the idea of dirty laundry lists either.  A star rating system could mean anything from no-show flakes to models showing up on time, but being difficult to work with (Divas) to being a reliable and pleaseant model, but awkward & stiff in her posing, or blatantly misrepresenting her appearance & weight in her profile to being the best model I've ever worked with.  Similar with models ratings of Photographers.  A star rating would require a personal message to the profile owner to get clarification on why XXX got 2 stars and XXXX got 5 stars.  With a star rating, there is no "he said-she said" B.S. going on.  Like a movie critics rating of a film, it is completely subjective, and could not be considered libelous. (YMMV.)

Definitely a gray area.  Maybe okay, maybe not.  If it is a five star rating, would it be safe to assume that the ratings will average out to 3?

I guess it's up to you (but again, I'm not a moderator).  I'd just suggest that you ask yourself what it says about you when you devote significant portions of your profile to your rating the suitability of others (especially if you include lower than average ratings). 

Speaking only for myself, I guess I have a little too much humility to feel comfortable doing that.  I try to find something positive to say about everyone publically.  I am honest & detailed when asked for a reference -- that's somehow different for me, but I would never post a poor rating for strangers to see.

Dec 10 06 12:32 pm Link