Forums > General Industry > ** Reminder ** - No Outing Thread allowed

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

There has been a string of outing threads naming names on the forum lately from many newbies.

Please note that it is not allowed on Model Mayhem.

We don't allow this for the very simple reason that there are always two sides of the story and rarely either side presents the truth.

Also, please remember that this site is searchable by Google, anything you write here will effectively be public record.

Just a reminder.

Leo - Moderator

Dec 06 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

You should make this a sticky thread.

Dec 06 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
You should make this a sticky thread.

Only Tyler can make anything sticky...unfortunately.

You can all help keep this bumped.  smile

Dec 06 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Lighten Up Designs

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I was guilty of that. It was not my intention to "out" but rather to warn people in my area about a shifty person in our industry. This is a forum no? People's opinions will not always be recognized or appreciated i understand. My post was a fact.I was trying to protect my peers.

I'm dissapointed with M.M. in one of the most opinionated industries of all. If i was a member of Typhon Mayhem i would most certainly want to know when the next storm was coming. Catch my drift??? Pardon the pun.

T.

Dec 06 06 05:18 pm Link

Model

aLyshia Lynnette

Cranford, New Jersey, US

bump

Dec 06 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Lighten Up Designs wrote:
I was guilty of that. It was not my intention to "out" but rather to warn people in my area about a shifty person in our industry. This is a forum no? People's opinions will not always be recognized or appreciated i understand. My post was a fact.I was trying to protect my peers.

I'm dissapointed with M.M. in one of the most opinionated industries of all. If i was a member of Typhon Mayhem i would most certainly want to know when the next storm was coming. Catch my drift??? Pardon the pun.

T.

As you may have recently seen some of our more outrageous members have
started some very controversial threads outing people.  In two cases the
outed person responded and in one case the thread reached over 60 pages
of responses where the OP looked bad.  Most of these types of threads only
serve to spread gossip and we never really know for sure what really happened.
If someone has committed a crime the first stop is the police.  Then a report
to the mods so they can review whats going on.

Maybe the person is a problem but maybe the person reporting them has a
grudge or is being dishonest but that never happens on MM where members
are always truthful.  Right?

Dec 06 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

Let's not turn this into a thread about niel patrick harris

Dec 06 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Lance Bass was outed and now he and his boyfriend have split....see what outing causes

Dec 06 06 05:54 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Lance is my hero.

Dec 06 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

what was the question? I'm just here because I like Leo's cool new avatar. :-)

Dec 06 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

To quote a Monty Python movie: "Stayyyyyyy UP!"

Dec 06 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

arianna77

Germantown, Maryland, US

lll wrote:

Only Tyler can make anything sticky...unfortunately.

You can all help keep this bumped.  smile

Erm...that just sounds bad... LOL.  Ewww, Tyler!

Dec 06 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

My post was a fact.I was trying to protect my peers.

Your post was YOUR alleged fact.  We don't know the other person, couldn't get his/her story.  It is unfair, unjust and unreasonable.

You may have the best intention, but we need to be fair.

Thanks.  Also, you were not the only one guilty of doing this in the last week or so.

It's over.

Leo - Moderator.

Dec 06 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Get back to where you once belonged.

Dec 06 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

DFWlens

Dallas, Texas, US

Google, huh?

Colonel Mustard told me lll did it. In the Lounge. With the candlestick.

Dec 07 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Yup.  When I search "SickShooter" in google...I get a bunch of MM posts I made smile

Dec 07 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Bumped, eventhough the people who need to read this probably won't bother. 

Rules are rules.  Following them isn't that difficult.  I didn't even bother to skim them until almost 6 months into my membership and found that I hadn't even broken a single one. 

It's not that difficult...

Dec 07 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

T.

Yeah, but if you say a Typhoon is coming and it doesn't, do you get sued for being wrong?  Have you hurt the Typhoon's Reputation?

I understand your point, but as Leo said, their are two sides to every story.  How would you feel if a model you worked with turned out to be a nutcase and started talking about how you touched her (though true, you only move hair away from her face) and it made her feel uncomfortable.  If you've been around here long enough, you'll find some members think that even moving a model's hair is unprofessional and you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER TOuch a model.  Knowing this, do you really want people judged in MM forums?

Dec 07 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Thomas B wrote:
Lance Bass was outed and now he and his boyfriend have split....see what outing causes

Serious?! haha, maybe Lance started getting hit on by better looking dudes?

Dec 07 06 03:25 pm Link

Model

Alex Davenport

Spokane, Missouri, US

arianna77 wrote:

Erm...that just sounds bad... LOL.  Ewww, Tyler!

Hehe. What does it mean to make a thread sticky anyway??

Dec 07 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

Yeah, but if you say a Typhoon is coming and it doesn't, do you get sued for being wrong?  Have you hurt the Typhoon's Reputation?

I understand your point, but as Leo said, their are two sides to every story.  How would you feel if a model you worked with turned out to be a nutcase and started talking about how you touched her (though true, you only move hair away from her face) and it made her feel uncomfortable.  If you've been around here long enough, you'll find some members think that even moving a model's hair is unprofessional and you should NEVER EVER EVER EVER TOuch a model.  Knowing this, do you really want people judged in MM forums?

Chris has made a excellent post.  Recently a model alleged something
very serious about a photographer.  Her comments were full of holes and she
was largely discredited but some still came on to defend her.  They didn't take
the time to really read her original complaint and responses but thought that
the photographer was wrong.  If a model has a criminal complaint then her
first stop should be the police and not the court of MM.

Dec 07 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Alex Davenport wrote:

It stays at the top of the forum, like the other two that are there now.

Dec 07 06 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

OK, so how about FIELD TRIP threads?

Sorry -- couldn't resist -- teeny little mind.

Dec 07 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Alex Davenport wrote:

Means the thread topic will always stay at the top.  No bumping required.

Dec 07 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Len Cook Photographer wrote:
OK, so how about FIELD TRIP threads?

Sorry -- couldn't resist -- teeny little mind.

Almost but not quite entirely unlike clever. wink

Dec 07 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Okay even though we know it was all your fault and you pushed your ex over the edge. I'll take you up on your offer to be friends. Aside from being heartless and cruel, being extremely hot will push any one over the edge.
  If you want to pay me for this most exhalant advise, I take beer by the six-pack and or 1/2 off Denney’s coupons.

Dec 07 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

Sorry. What thread is this??

Dec 07 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I notice that Lighten Up Designs, an originator of one of these offending posts, is no longer a member of MM.  He left (was kicked off?) after ~7 posts.  Is that a record?

Dec 07 06 04:06 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I notice that Lighten Up Designs, an originator of one of these offending posts, is no longer a member of MM.  He left (was kicked off?) after ~7 posts.  Is that a record?

That sucks! is the only way to get kicked off the site through the forums? If you post something against the rules *poof* thats it??? I have seen quite a few people post something sort of controversial, click on their avi and their port is gone. Scary...makes me want to watch very carefully what I say in here.
But my point was, the forums are the ony way people get kicked off?

Dec 07 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Alix Andrea wrote:

In the info tab under the header they have a link to the rules here.  I'm under the impression that people have indeed been banned for other things than forum-related issues.

Forum posting seems to be the attention-getter because one second you see the person posting and the next you click on the avatar and they're no longer a member...

Just my thought...

Dec 07 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Alix Andrea wrote:

That sucks! is the only way to get kicked off the site through the forums? If you post something against the rules *poof* thats it??? I have seen quite a few people post something sort of controversial, click on their avi and their port is gone. Scary...makes me want to watch very carefully what I say in here.

If you model for me and wear my Angels jersey, you are protected from the BanStick. Check my gallery of Angels and you'll see that NONE of them have ever been banned.  Tyler and I have this agreement.  So if you're really worried, just come over and put my jersey on for a few pics.

Dec 07 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Jay Bowman wrote:

In the info tab under the header they have a link to the rules here.  I'm under the impression that people have indeed been banned for other things than forum-related issues.

Forum posting seems to be the attention-getter because one second you see the person posting and the next you click on the avatar and they're no longer a member...

Just my thought...

Posting in the forums brings your profile to their attention. If you never post, you can probably get away with a lot of things before getting caught, if ever.  There are too many profiles to police everything.

Dec 07 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Alix Andrea

DigitalCMH wrote:

If you model for me and wear my Angels jersey, you are protected from the BanStick. Check my gallery of Angels and you'll see that NONE of them have ever been banned.  Tyler and I have this agreement.  So if you're really worried, just come over and put my jersey on for a few pics.

Hahaha....Hmm, I see, none of them have been banned. Well, I do want to be protected from the BanStick smile

Dec 07 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Alix Andrea wrote:

Hahaha....Hmm, I see, none of them have been banned. Well, I do want to be protected from the BanStick smile

big_smile

Dec 07 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Bodi

East Northport, New York, US

I am upset. I was going to out Tony Lawrence as a  good photographer.

Dec 07 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!!

...wait...

*skims over thread*

...oh...nobody's mentioned me. Right, then. Carry on.

smile

Dec 07 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

This thread makes sense. It is fun to post in threads that make sense.

Dec 07 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Just to be clear, he left himself.  He didn't want to follow a simple, reasonable rule, so he decided that MM isn't for him.  Good riddance.

And bump for this.

Dec 09 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

lll wrote:
Just to be clear, he left himself.  He didn't want to follow a simple, reasonable rule, so he decided that MM isn't for him.  Good riddance.

And bump for this.

When he posted something that I thought was inappropriate, I posted a reply (that I thought was direct but polite) asking him to modify his original post, and I explained why such posts were inappropriate.  He sent me a message, claiming that he was acting for the better good; let's say that he was a little less than polite.  He refused to change his post.  So, I asked the moderators to take a look.

I also notice that he posted on this thread, above.  In that post, he still demonstrated that he didn't get it.

If he left, that's fine.  He did send me a second e-mail message, entitled "Thanks", but I couldn't read it once he left.  I suspect that he blamed me for his troubles.

Ah, well.  People with clogged ears have a learning disability.

Dec 09 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

Bumped for newbies.

Dec 09 06 05:34 pm Link