Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > SF2: Ess Effin Two > Do I need a kitten bunker?

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I recently, and unexpectedly, acquired a new kitten to go along with a 13-year old cat at home. I've had both for about a month, and I'm in the midst of 'integrating' my household. The kitten was found as a stray and had worms, so they had little interaction for the first 3 weeks. Now the are co-mingling freely, but I'm concerned that the kitten is being bullied when I'm not around because he is always in hiding when I come home. I've set/up/arranged a few secure places for him to be around the house - spots the big cat can't get to, but I'm thinking about getting a big, heavy cardboard box that could be set up with bedding and and an opening just big enough for him. I think building a kitten bunker could be fun!

Aug 26 16 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

yes, a kitteh bunker would be awesome for everyone  (except for the big cat)
do it, you know you want to
https://www.fitdiva.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/organized-kittah3.jpg

Aug 26 16 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

need? no, want? yes!!!

Aug 27 16 05:18 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I recently, and unexpectedly, acquired a new kitten to go along with a 13-year old cat at home. I've had both for about a month, and I'm in the midst of 'integrating' my household. The kitten was found as a stray and had worms, so they had little interaction for the first 3 weeks. Now the are co-mingling freely, but I'm concerned that the kitten is being bullied when I'm not around because he is always in hiding when I come home. I've set/up/arranged a few secure places for him to be around the house - spots the big cat can't get to, but I'm thinking about getting a big, heavy cardboard box that could be set up with bedding and and an opening just big enough for him. I think building a kitten bunker could be fun!

Every time I integrated cats I still kept them separate when I wasn't home for at least a week.

https://www.petfinder.com/cats/bringing … oductions/

Jen

Aug 28 16 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Natural Light on Location

Fort Worth, Texas, US

Integrating katz is , um difficult.

Aug 28 16 11:47 am Link

Photographer

MerrillMedia

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Separate them when you are not at home until you are sure that the kitten has been accepted. The "bunker" idea is fine. However you set it up, however, make sure that can smell each other through the bottom of a door, air hole or whatever.

Aug 30 16 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

BTW in ye olde language of sf2, "kitten" was pronounced "kitteh".

the thread title may then read:
"my kitteh can haz bunker?"

never forget!

Aug 30 16 01:12 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
BTW in ye olde language of sf2, "kitten" was pronounced "kitteh".

the thread title may then read:
"my kitteh can haz bunker?"

never forget!

#neverforget
#wewillrebuild

Aug 30 16 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Things are slowly getting better. But kitten keeps getting himself cornered. I'm keeping everyone's claws trimmed. Still thinking of building that bunker...

Aug 31 16 03:57 am Link

Aug 31 16 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Cat in a box
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LriAJdNV2-A/UxQGjkyOPjI/AAAAAAAADLU/oCj69vCjNLk/s1600/Dance_cat.gif

Sep 14 16 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Building a bunker sounds like fun. My kitteh would like a bunker for himself. No other kittens need apply. But he has brought a bunny in the house twice. He wants a friend.

Jun 23 17 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Almost a year on and its the older cat that now could use a safe place. The kitten really wants to play with the older cat, who wants nothing to do with kitten. Kitten is also yuge now, at least 13-14lbs. Older cat is about 8lbs. Things are getting better. Older cat hisses and yells less each week.

Jul 07 17 07:27 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Robb Mann wrote:
Almost a year on and its the older cat that now could use a safe place. The kitten really wants to play with the older cat, who wants nothing to do with kitten. Kitten is also yuge now, at least 13-14lbs. Older cat is about 8lbs. Things are getting better. Older cat hisses and yells less each week.

Have you ever visited an elderly relative or friend in a nursing home?

Have you seen how much they enjoy having toddlers and teenagers run and bounce around their old, sore bones and set ways?
Nah, me neither..
This apllies to all animals, not just human ones. wink

I would love nothing more than a new Kitteh but my 8 year-old boys won't thank me..

A whole year of hissing and discomfort to an animal with an average of 15 year life span is a long time...

Aug 13 17 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Have you ever visited an elderly relative or friend in a nursing home?

Have you seen how much they enjoy having toddlers and teenagers run and bounce around their old, sore bones and set ways?
Nah, me neither..
This apllies to all animals, not just human ones. wink

I would love nothing more than a new Kitteh but my 8 year-old boys won't thank me..

A whole year of hissing and discomfort to an animal with an average of 15 year life span is a long time...

I know. I didn't mean to adopt the kitten. My sis had been looking for a kitten exactly like him, so I told his rescuer that I might be interested. Turns out there is no such thing as 'maybe' when it comes to animal rescue. The woman who had the kitten was going to surrender him to a county pound if no one would adopt him, and I was the only one interested. He had worms at the time and would have been destroyed pretty much immediately.

It has made the older cat more active. She was getting feline arthritis, but is now making jumps and getting to places she hasn't gone in years. I'm making sure to give her lots of extra attention.

Aug 13 17 08:21 am Link