Forums > General Industry > can thug models or tatoo models be on gq magazine?

Model

BENZ VEAL

Los Angeles, California, US

What is my chance of being on a gq magazine or detail magazine or am I stuck in the urban world

Dec 04 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LOL!

Dec 04 06 01:41 am Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

If you call yourself a "thug model," probably.

Dec 04 06 01:41 am Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

Lol shawty my past is my past but who would look past what's on my body without questioning

Dec 04 06 01:49 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Two words: 50 cent

Dec 04 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Kareem Ajani

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

What relation does 50 Cent have to this guy?  People are so quick to generalize, and what the hell is a thug model?

Dec 04 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Leroy Ferguson

Nassau, Minnesota, US

From looking at your port i dont really see thug model i just see a model. You can only hope for what you wanna achieve.

Amaru

Dec 04 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

You aren't going to get anywhere very significant while sitting in North Carolina, and being signed with some goofy agency in Brooklyn won't do it either. 

Get serious, or not.

Dec 04 06 09:55 am Link

Model

Sean-Patrick

LA JOLLA, California, US

if you're looking for a cover shot its simple....become famous. other than that, GQ almost exclusively has celebrities now(both male and female). i dont know why you couldnt be in an ad inside GQ. just my .02

Dec 04 06 09:56 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

kareem ajani wrote:
What relation does 50 Cent have to this guy?  People are so quick to generalize, and what the hell is a thug model?

I was thinking the same thing? What is a "thug model"?

Dec 04 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

kareem ajani wrote:

The topic of the thread is the question: "can thug models or tatoo models be on gq magazine?"

My answer: yes. 50 Cent, a self proclaimed thug (with tattoos no less) made the pages of GQ.

Simple facts, no generalizations, no comparisons of 50 Cent to benzyb.

Dec 04 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

ATMPhotos

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sean-Patrick wrote:
if you're looking for a cover shot its simple....become famous. other than that, GQ almost exclusively has celebrities now(both male and female). i dont know why you couldnt be in an ad inside GQ. just my .02

Best advice given so far.

Dec 04 06 01:46 pm Link

Model

Jaketa Rae

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

I say find some girl to nominate you for Cosmo "guy w/o his shirt on"

Dec 04 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Bondo Photo wrote:

maybe if you got shot 100 times then you call yourself one dollar...?

Dec 04 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

ChristianInc

New Brunswick, New Jersey, US

Most GQ Models are wearing cloths , you wouldn't have tyo worry about it too much. On the other hand , from what I noticed, alot of GQ models have a certain look. Ask yourself , do you fit that look , and if you feel that you do , go for it. smile

Dec 04 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Lamonica wrote:

"Thug Model" was a "wanna be playa" here on MM posing as a model trying to pic up girls. He got banned in like two days for statements like...."damn babe, why you hatin', I'm just trying to feed and water my seed"

https://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL434/108615/2345336/210773131.jpg

Dec 04 06 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lamonica wrote:

A "thug model" is a model that goes to a photoshoot, shoots first the photographer (with a Glock), then the MUA and then the stylist and finally the photographer's assistant.

Then takes all the cash, credit cards, jewelry, any drugs he can find and as much of the photogear to sell'em at the pawnshop.

Simple... "thug model"... I thought you knew that? tongue

Dec 04 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

UdoR wrote:

A "thug model" is a model that goes to a photoshoot, shoots first the photographer (with a Glock), then the MUA and then the stylist and finally the photographer's assistant.

Then takes all the cash, credit cards, jewelry, any drugs he can find and as much of the photogear to sell'em at the pawnshop.

Sounds like my average shoot.

Dec 04 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

HarveyT

Sacramento, California, US

From someone with a jaded past, I'd say you can accomplish whatever you set out to do, regardless of where you come from.

Dec 04 06 08:14 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

GregBrownDesigns

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tyson Beckford worked with a lot of tattoos...but you KNOW they hated paying for all the Photoshop work at RL. I think I would focus on a portfolio with as little body work as possible. You have a terrific face, and shoot really well. Honestly, you're going to lose more jobs because of your tats than they will get you...It comes down to how badly you want to be a model, and finding the agent who will help you push past what is on your body to make it regardless. (I'm not making a judgement here-just saying the "norm" is going to be someone with a lot fewer tattoos than you have-BUT...There WAS that Juicy Couture ad just a couple of months ago...Guy had ALL KINDS of tattoos on him....it happens.)

Dec 04 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

benzyb wrote:
What is my chance of being on a gq magazine or detail magazine or am I stuck in the urban world

You know what... I looked at your port and your stats... and, as my personal opinion, I think it's great.

I think that you may have a great chance at acting as well... and some edgy, e.g. borderline mainstream commercial adds.

Again... that's just my opinion. You also have a great smile in ONE photo, very friendly, it's cool.

All the other expressions in your port vary from "Blue Steel", to "LeTigre" and a hint of "Magnum". It's some sort of a variety, but if you could add a few more... that would be swell.

Heck, if you would be in NYC, I would shoot with you some fashionstuff, my style. I also work in the urban fashion and music segment a lot... but... hey... as TXPhotog said... you gotta move!

Dec 04 06 08:48 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

benzyb wrote:

speaking black man to black man.....just as long as you cover up your tats....

I got tats too, so i wondering the same.

If 50 can get on the cover with that femmy ass pose he did, then anyone can if they look good

Dec 07 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

You know what... I looked at your port and your stats... and, as my personal opinion, I think it's great.

I think that you may have a great chance at acting as well... and some edgy, e.g. borderline mainstream commercial adds.

Again... that's just my opinion. You also have a great smile in ONE photo, very friendly, it's cool.

All the other expressions in your port vary from "Blue Steel", to "LeTigre" and a hint of "Magnum". It's some sort of a variety, but if you could add a few more... that would be swell.

Heck, if you would be in NYC, I would shoot with you some fashionstuff, my style. I also work in the urban fashion and music segment a lot... but... hey... as TXPhotog said... you gotta move!

oh then give me a call. LOL....

Dec 07 06 07:41 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Daniel Hobson wrote:

speaking black man to black man.....just as long as you cover up your tats....

I got tats too, so i wondering the same.

If 50 can get on the cover with that femmy ass pose he did, then anyone can if they look good

Not true.... 50 is a celebrity.

Just like if most actresses weren't who they are, they would never be on the cover of Vogue.

Dec 08 06 07:16 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't know b.. you don't really look like a thug.. You actually look kind of soft. I know a few photographers in Philly that look more thug than you do. You may have a couple tats and muscles.. maybe you're influenced too much by Tupac? maybe all the tats was a mistake.. Love to see you at 75 with a thuglife tat across your belly.. Maybe you can hide the T in Thug and make it say; " HUG LIFE" I don't know..

Really no reason for a virtually unknown model to broadcast, "I'm a thug, can I make it?" Cheap ploy to get people to look at your port, did it work??

Dec 08 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

Sorry,  I grew up in the Burbs, not too many thugs... a lot of those white boy wannabes but no real ones. big_smile

Dec 08 06 07:22 am Link

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I don't know b.. you don't really look like a thug.. You actually look kind of soft. I know a few photographers in Philly that look more thug than you do. You may have a couple tats and muscles.. maybe you're influenced too much by Tupac? maybe all the tats was a mistake.. Love to see you at 75 with a thuglife tat across your belly.. Maybe you can hide the T in Thug and make it say; " HUG LIFE" I don't know..

Really no reason for a virtually unknown model to broadcast, "I'm a thug, can I make it?" Cheap ploy to get people to look at your port, did it work??

Sounds like you're challenging him . . . you must be what a REAL thug is . . . ???

I doubt he was giving a self-proclamation.  Maybe he's been offered only urban-related job or urban roles, and is looking for more diverse work.  You know what's funny?  I would go to casting calls for urban work (a few music videos, some print stuff), and I'd never get picked!  Lol, I guess I'm not urban ENOUGH, lol.

Dec 08 06 02:33 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

Lamonica wrote:

Not true.... 50 is a celebrity.

Just like if most actresses weren't who they are, they would never be on the cover of Vogue.

OOPS, my bad. Thanks Lamonica...

let me rephrase...you could be INNNNN GQ, but not on the cover. and as far as getting hired, the more the body work, the better the model you should be....no one should be stuck in ONE market

Dec 08 06 02:51 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

I agree man.....for one, being a model you should try not to broadcast yourself as a stereotype, because they will look at you like you're crazy. Hell i'm from Gary, Indiana which is seen as "The Murder Capitol of the WOrld" but i don't exhibit that in my photos or in person. Leave your life at home because you are a blank canvas in front of the camera

Dec 08 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

Lelah G wrote:

Sounds like you're challenging him . . . you must be what a REAL thug is . . . ???

I doubt he was giving a self-proclamation.  Maybe he's been offered only urban-related job or urban roles, and is looking for more diverse work.  You know what's funny?  I would go to casting calls for urban work (a few music videos, some print stuff), and I'd never get picked!  Lol, I guess I'm not urban ENOUGH, lol.

well not to be mean Lelah, but your port is borderline video model. I see more skin than cloth, and most urban ads nowadays RARELY show that much skin. However, video model castings.....

Dec 08 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

GregBrownDesigns wrote:
Tyson Beckford worked with a lot of tattoos...but you KNOW they hated paying for all the Photoshop work at RL. I think I would focus on a portfolio with as little body work as possible. You have a terrific face, and shoot really well. Honestly, you're going to lose more jobs because of your tats than they will get you...It comes down to how badly you want to be a model, and finding the agent who will help you push past what is on your body to make it regardless. (I'm not making a judgement here-just saying the "norm" is going to be someone with a lot fewer tattoos than you have-BUT...There WAS that Juicy Couture ad just a couple of months ago...Guy had ALL KINDS of tattoos on him....it happens.)

and i do graphic retouching for a living, that shit is VERY STRENUOUS....they pay a lot of money for that...and to retouch the body especially when there's more ink than skin....you got to take the LITTLEST skin and make it your body. it's too much..but i see what u saying greg

Dec 08 06 03:02 pm Link

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

Daniel Hobson wrote:

well not to be mean Lelah, but your port is borderline video model. I see more skin than cloth, and most urban ads nowadays RARELY show that much skin. However, video model castings.....

I haven't made my monthly change of pictures yet.  I do mainly fashion & runway, right now you just see glamour.  The pictures you see are to display my body form; trust and believe, I'm a size 6, and folks think that 6 is too big, so I like to show my body form to let casting directors know that I'm not big.  And my look is not typical, like every female you normally see in a video, so you'd be surprised.

You may think my port is borderline video model, but I'm never picked, so uh, how do you explain that???  Just wait, you'll see my new pics . . .

Dec 08 06 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Daniel Hobson wrote:

If by "anyone" you mean, a famous, established and highly marketable celebrity.

Dec 08 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

If by "anyone" you mean, a famous, established and highly marketable celebrity.

i meant to say he could be IN GQ, but not ON GQ

Dec 08 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Hold up pimpin for one you don't know me, it aint about how ya look, and none of my tattoos were a mistake, and I aint posing to get people to look at my port, and yeah tupac influenced my life a bit and that's only because we had similar life and life struggles, and the reason thug life is on my body is because of the meaning, shawty, and the reason I look like that is because my agent ask me to try a different look ya dig, bruh you don't know where I been and where I came from for you to even to be speaking like that Lil homie, I just asked a simple question and wanted to know what people thoughts was, and here you go a hatin as person tryin to get shine off someone else ya really should chill out bruh

Dec 08 06 04:34 pm Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

Hold up pimpin for one you don't know me, it aint about how ya look, and none of my tattoos were a mistake, and I aint posing to get people to look at my port, and yeah tupac influenced my life a bit and that's only because we had similar life and life struggles, and the reason thug life is on my body is because of the meaning, shawty, and the reason I look like that is because my agent ask me to try a different look ya dig, bruh you don't know where I been and where I came from for you to even to be speaking like that Lil homie, I just asked a simple question and wanted to know what people thoughts was, and here you go a hatin ass person tryin to get shine off someone else ya really should chill out bruh

Dec 08 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Bondo Photo wrote:

One word:  talent.  Sell a million CDs, no one cares what your history is.

Sell zero CDs, you get questioned everytime you show up.

Dec 08 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

benzyb wrote:
Hold up pimpin for one you don't know me, it aint about how ya look, and none of my tattoos were a mistake, and I aint posing to get people to look at my port, and yeah tupac influenced my life a bit and that's only because we had similar life and life struggles, and the reason thug life is on my body is because of the meaning, shawty, and the reason I look like that is because my agent ask me to try a different look ya dig, bruh you don't know where I been and where I came from for you to even to be speaking like that Lil homie, I just asked a simple question and wanted to know what people thoughts was, and here you go a hatin ass person tryin to get shine off someone else ya really should chill out bruh

Now, take that little soliloquy and find one professional male model who talks like that in general conversation and see what they're doing with their career.  Cover of GQ?  Naw, those models would be on the cover of Lowrider and Vibe, but not GQ....

Dec 08 06 04:39 pm Link

Model

Casadie

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

the boy just asked a simple opinion question. he asked for advice. not for you to attack his speech. it's the computer. who are you to him? are you offering him a job? soooooooo, why is he talking to you all proper again? yall need to get over yourselves and think before you speak.

he asked for advice. if you don't have advice, apparently he wasn't speaking to you. of course you'd have to go to his profile-- otherwise you wouldn't know how many tats he had and wouldn't be able to subjectively answer his query. grow up people. my goodness

Dec 08 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:
Now, take that little soliloquy and find one professional male model who talks like that in general conversation and see what they're doing with their career.  Cover of GQ?  Naw, those models would be on the cover of Lowrider and Vibe, but not GQ....

HEY HEY HEY, Vibe is VERY respectable....(and so is Essence) Now, THE SOURCE or XXL on the other hand...

No disrespect benzyb on my part, but he does have a point in speaking like that.....cast directors wont care about that. It's like seeing someone trip in a hallway....you saw that they tripped and fell, you don't know WHY they tripped, you don't CARE why they tripped....the focus is that you TRIPPED...

same with these mags...they don't CARE that you have meaningful tattoos, they don't care that you are influenced by Tupac, all they see is that you have a helluva lot of tattoos and they wont cast you because it's a shitload of money put into photoediting.

Dec 08 06 05:47 pm Link