Forums > General Industry > can thug models or tatoo models be on gq magazine?

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:

Now, take that little soliloquy and find one professional male model who talks like that in general conversation and see what they're doing with their career.  Cover of GQ?  Naw, those models would be on the cover of Lowrider and Vibe, but not GQ....

So be his tutor . . .

See?  Everybody knows how to talk, but nobody knows how to help.

Dec 08 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

U dont come across as a "thug" to me.

Dec 08 06 07:58 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I have tattoo's ....what does thug mean ROTF I am kidding!
Kisses,
MEL

Dec 08 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

Bondo Photo wrote:

The topic of the thread is the question: "can thug models or tatoo models be on gq magazine?"

My answer: yes. 50 Cent, a self proclaimed thug (with tattoos no less) made the pages of GQ.

Simple facts, no generalizations, no comparisons of 50 Cent to benzyb.

That is because 50 Cent is a celebrity, they get different treatment.
Kisses,
MEL

Dec 08 06 08:04 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

You know what... I looked at your port and your stats... and, as my personal opinion, I think it's great.

I think that you may have a great chance at acting as well... and some edgy, e.g. borderline mainstream commercial adds.

Again... that's just my opinion. You also have a great smile in ONE photo, very friendly, it's cool.

All the other expressions in your port vary from "Blue Steel", to "LeTigre" and a hint of "Magnum". It's some sort of a variety, but if you could add a few more... that would be swell.

Heck, if you would be in NYC, I would shoot with you some fashionstuff, my style. I also work in the urban fashion and music segment a lot... but... hey... as TXPhotog said... you gotta move!

I thought I was the only Zoolander fan in here.

But anyways.  Just wondering.  Do you not want to be an urban model or are you just afraid of being typecasted?

melissa

Dec 08 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

I thought I was the only Zoolander fan in here.

You are not alone Melissa...

Enjoy!

The Ultimate "Zoolander" Movie Quote Tribute
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=88426

Dec 08 06 08:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

This is the best advice I've heard all day.  I'd take it, if I were you.

TXPhotog wrote:
You aren't going to get anywhere very significant while sitting in North Carolina, and being signed with some goofy agency in Brooklyn won't do it either. 

Get serious, or not.

Dec 08 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

can thug models or tatoo models be on gq magazine?

Yes. It seems that the industry is going that way. Just wait and see. smile

GUNTHER +

https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k114/G220/zedcard02-verysmall.jpg

Dec 08 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

Lamonica wrote:
I was thinking the same thing? What is a "thug model"?

UdoR wrote:
A "thug model" is a model that goes to a photoshoot, shoots first the photographer (with a Glock), then the MUA and then the stylist and finally the photographer's assistant.

Then takes all the cash, credit cards, jewelry, any drugs he can find and as much of the photogear to sell'em at the pawnshop.

Simple... "thug model"... I thought you knew that? tongue

Are you stereotyping, sir?

GUNTHER +

Dec 08 06 08:39 pm Link

Model

Adieu

You know you can always cover your tattoos up...

-Monica

Dec 08 06 08:42 pm Link

Model

JESSICA CLAIRE

Los Angeles, California, US

I honestly think there is a place in the world for everyone, but you should consider shooting some other types of looks. Variety is the spice of life

Dec 08 06 08:46 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Yehoshua David wrote:

Lamonica wrote:
I was thinking the same thing? What is a "thug model"?

Are you stereotyping, sir?

GUNTHER +

No, Hun, he was being sarcastic.

Dec 09 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Casadie wrote:
the boy just asked a simple opinion question. he asked for advice. not for you to attack his speech. it's the computer. who are you to him? are you offering him a job? soooooooo, why is he talking to you all proper again? yall need to get over yourselves and think before you speak.

he asked for advice. if you don't have advice, apparently he wasn't speaking to you. of course you'd have to go to his profile-- otherwise you wouldn't know how many tats he had and wouldn't be able to subjectively answer his query. grow up people. my goodness

Yes, this is a public forum, but it's still a representation of you.

Based on his response, someone who could have possibly wanted to work with him, could have been completely turned off by it. You never know who's lurking around these forums.

Dec 09 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

Casadie wrote:
the boy just asked a simple opinion question. he asked for advice. not for you to attack his speech. it's the computer. who are you to him? are you offering him a job? soooooooo, why is he talking to you all proper again? yall need to get over yourselves and think before you speak.

he asked for advice. if you don't have advice, apparently he wasn't speaking to you. of course you'd have to go to his profile-- otherwise you wouldn't know how many tats he had and wouldn't be able to subjectively answer his query. grow up people. my goodness

thanks for that and you right people criticize people not even knowing who they are and you right they need to get over themselves, I aint gonna lie I aint no model this was just an opportunity that I was given and I decided to embark on the journey, shit why wouldn I if this could be something to help me leave the streets alone why not at least try, hell throwing bricks at the the pen everyday sure aint a way to be and an existing record doesn help so this is a field where a person wit a record has a chance,all these people making negative gestures and comments who the hell have they shot famous? Or are they famous ya dig, have they acquired a big business deal, hell I aint even a model and I had a professional in which most proclaimed models haven even got that far and I just started

Dec 09 06 06:09 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

benzyb wrote:

thanks for that and you right people criticize people not even knowing who they are and you right they need to get over themselves, I aint gonna lie I aint no model this was just an opportunity that I was given and I decided to embark on the journey, shit why wouldn I if this could be something to help me leave the streets alone why not at least try, hell throwing bricks at the the pen everyday sure aint a way to be and an existing record doesn help so this is a field where a person wit a record has a chance,all these people making negative gestures and comments who the hell have they shot famous? Or are they famous ya dig, have they acquired a big business deal, hell I aint even a model and I had a professional in which most proclaimed models haven even got that far and I just started

If that made sense, it might actually get to people.

"hell I aint even a model and I had a professional in which most proclaimed models haven even got that far and I just started"

What does that mean?

Dec 09 06 06:20 pm Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

People this is too much ok thug model I say its a person who is from the gutter, faced with extreme obstacles meaning surviving in places where people looked upon you not to make it or be successful, who looks to a life of crime to survive out here in society, who lives where there is low income to poverty, but who survives and still is here. Of course a lot of these photographers never really experienced this life and majority of the models never experience what its like in the hood or the projects, or was subjected to becoming a product of there environment just a bunch of judgemental people, I know this world of modeling is cut throat and I learned that majority of photographers are perverts ,I mean people want to sit up here and judge me and make little jokes and comments when all I did was asked a opinionated question wasn asking  to be judge, now if I was the type of dude to get real deep into those who have negative comments you wouldn like the things I would have to say to yall asses on some real shit,those of you that got yall head up In the clouds should come back down to earth because ya definitely not better than anyone else, but thankyou for any photographer or model that left me with some advice and pointers I guess there is some normal people out there that are still down to earth

Dec 09 06 06:25 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

benzyb wrote:
People this is too much ok thug model I say its a person who is from the gutter, faced with extreme obstacles meaning surviving in places where people looked upon you not to make it or be successful, who looks to a life of crime to survive out here in society, who lives where there is low income to poverty, but who survives and still is here. Of course a lot of these photographers never really experienced this life and majority of the models never experience what its like in the hood or the projects, or was subjected to becoming a product of there environment just a bunch of judgemental people, I know this world of modeling is cut throat and I learned that majority of photographers are perverts ,I mean people want to sit up here and judge me and make little jokes and comments when all I did was asked a opinionated question wasn asking  to be judge, now if I was the type of dude to get real deep into those who have negative comments you wouldn like the things I would have to say to yall asses on some real shit,those of you that got yall head up In the clouds should come back down to earth because ya definitely not better than anyone else, but thankyou for any photographer or model that left me with some advice and pointers I guess there is some normal people out there that are still down to earth

I think what people are saying is, why does that matter?

Just like I won't say I'm an Upper Middle Class model. Why not just market yourself as a male model. Labeling yourself "thug" isn't the best thing. It's limits you more than helps.

Dec 09 06 06:31 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

benzyb wrote:

Also, this quote probably burned more bridges than helped you network.

Dec 09 06 06:33 pm Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

Bondo Photo wrote:
Two words: 50 cent

Wow.  He looks NOTHING like 50 cent.  He is way better looking in fact.
50 cent is just so....blah...

Dec 09 06 08:11 pm Link

Model

BENZ VEAL

Mos Photography wrote:
U dont come across as a "thug" to me.

of course pimpin because thugs don't model, but this decided to and plus I am versatile, pimpin

Dec 13 06 09:39 pm Link