Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Get 1 image retouched for free + Learn from it

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

EDIT:

I no longer have the time for this. Sorry.

Feb 24 16 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Sausage69

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

I'm interested! But your port seems to be mainly beauty retouching. Can you accept other types of photos? I have some that were shot outdoors, natural light.

Feb 25 16 08:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 25 16 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sausage69

Hi Anchev,

I've sent you a photo via PM, to see how you'd retouch it.

Feb 27 16 01:56 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 27 16 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Sausage69

Thank you, I quite like the touch up, but on my computer it looks like there's a pretty yellow cast. I'll see how it looks when opened in photoshop later. The eyelashes were a big problem.. earlier I tried to just clone everything to look more uniform, but there wasn't enough of the original black color to cover all the white spots.

Feb 27 16 05:37 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 27 16 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Feb 27 16 08:40 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 27 16 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

I agree with you - "The model might hate me for this"

Feb 27 16 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sausage69

I think that photo looks really great in monochrome.

Feb 27 16 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

anchev wrote:
Hi,

I would like to open a discussion about retouching, focusing on aesthetics of images. This will also give you the opportunity to have an image retouched for free and I will explain in short what is done and why.

This is very good of you George, to lend your time and talent is quite generous.
To give and illustrate your insight is the biggest value.

Feb 27 16 08:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 28 16 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Hello anchev,
I like your idea very much and I am thinking about wich RAW to send to you. What I do not understand is the first part of your feedback "First impression" or "What do we see".
"A girl sitting on the floor in unnatural and uncomfortable pose........" reminds me to the man asked, what is a soccer game?, answering, twentytwo grown-up running after a ball.
Arent most of the bauty or fashion pictures without any sence (besides keeping attention or selling something). Of course there is a first impression of any picture, and maybe in less than a secound we decide if we like it or not. I love many pictures with unnatural and uncomfortable poses. In this way I can describe one of your photographer portfolio pictures "A girl is hitting herself without any reason to the right cheek, and even if we know it does not hurt, shes opening her mouth as if it would." I cant see the reason to describe pictures in that way. Are you doing it to get the direction of the retouch, like should i use warm or cold colors, or are you doing it to understand why this photo was taken?
Please let me know, because I retouch my own pictures and I am interested in the part we should think about before we start the retouch.
Greetings Frank

Feb 28 16 02:16 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 28 16 04:16 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Thread peaked my interest as I use an Eizo CG-248 4K monitor and I had to look at the cosplay image on it under its factory set profiles due to the yellow questioning response.  Also, the new Windows 10 "Photo Viewer" does make it more saturated, especially the red flowers, than in CS6 too. By default, the new Windows 10 photo viewer does enhancing on its own (There is a way to turn it off in settings.).

The yellow cast on the first cosplay image is likely due to the blond hair color casts.  However, on her arm sans any makeup, it does look correct in the retouch to me on my Eizo as well.  I guess one could argue the photo being taken in the shade and maybe with a cold-colored flash as well which would make us think it should be more blue tint too.  Remove the yellow tint and the arm will go bluish.

For Sausage69, I see where you used a D7100 and possibly the kit zoom lens (18-105mm or 18-140mm). I have an older D7000 and the 18-105mm kit lens really never was sharp for me.  I traded it in and went to the "supposedly better" 18-200mm and it was worse which was disappointing, but seemed in line with DxO findings I later learned.  Someone twisted my arm to try the 24-70mm f/2.8 and what huge increase in sharpness, it was like a whole new camera.

I do like the monochrome one a lot!  Nice nose job too.  I might move her upper row of teeth to the left a bit to center with her lower teeth that appear even with her nose line.  Don't know if she canted her jaw a bit as her mouth-line appears correct.  Maybe remove the stray loose forehead hairs too, but still it's a cool looking retouch.

Feb 28 16 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Hello anchev,

thanks for your reply, which cleared my questiones.

Here is the link to my pic I would appreciate if you could retouch

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxsn2xoo1dm6z … 5.ARW?dl=0

Here are my impression of the original pics so far.
On first one its obvious that it is to dark. The second for me is, tha the eyes look down or are closed, that makes it a bit live less.
On the secon I thin the model is a bit tired or not at the spot with her attention, pics like that I sometimes get in last part of a shooting.

Greetings Frank

Feb 28 16 08:19 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 28 16 08:37 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 28 16 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Hi, thank you for your feedback. I can follow every sentence of it and I think you nailed the important points. For the bad quality theres the shame on me, I switched from Canon to Sony and this was my first shooting with the new camera, and at some point I must have pushed the wrong button by accident. So technically the rest of the shooting was a disaster.
Anyway this time two links and if you want to, you can choose one of them, it would be me a pleasure.
Regards Frank

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84uo00z7g5aox … 9.CR2?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmxs41kbu914k … 7.CR2?dl=0

Feb 28 16 01:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 28 16 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Blue Ash Film Group

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Very interested. Sending an image.

Feb 28 16 04:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 08:50 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 08:53 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

anchev wrote:

I would say this is a difficult image in the sense that it is interesting in a certain way but at the same time the shot could have been better with a clearer presentation of the concept. She has a strong stare at the camera which makes the eye constantly shifts toward her and (maybe less) towards the hands. This splits the attention. The hand idea might have been done in a different way, maybe even without face but we cannot fix this in retouching.

This is interesting as I had some issue with that same image that I couldn't figure out.  Fwiw, I also played a bit with it but gave it up for some reason.

You mentioned the "attention split" and that might be the key as to what bothered me too and why I shut down on it.  I worked between the head and neon hair, and back to the chocolate and white hands far too much.  Maybe had they been separate crops or ideas it would be better, but tying them together does make it confusing.

Feb 29 16 10:30 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Thanks, for your effort. I think your absolutly right, that the pic is unbalanced because the attention switches between head and arms, I had that feeling looking at it, but it did not come clear in my mind. Hair is a mess, I had problem with all shoots in this series, The necklace is my fault and the bra was necessary but maybe another type of bra would be better.
Colors for my taste are to strong, and maybe to crop the picture at the button would be good.

Feb 29 16 11:56 am Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 12:11 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

I think we all learn something about retouching, even though there are times the subject in the photo might not like our interpretation (damhik either!).  wink

I just had a try at Frank's "Dirty Boxes" shot and I did learn something about using Noise > Median in PS to get rid of the dirty areas without a lot of work (Did blur the box edges a bit though.).  Then the Afro-hair became another big mess so I had to re-learn Topaz Remask and fix the strandy-hair stuff.  So a bit of re-learning helped me a bit so not all was lost.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160229/12/56d4a37e6b118.jpg

Above in sRGB and Windows 10.  Didn't look at it on the Eizo so hope it's right on whatever viewer since they all seem different.

Good practice though.  Thanks Frank for the play.

Feb 29 16 12:24 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 12:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

London, England, United Kingdom

anchev wrote:
I applied a stronger color look this time in order to make the separate elements more distinguished. And as the RAW file is of good technical quality this was possible without any damages. I reduced the green color in hair as cyan contrasts better with skin color..

Just a few questions!
1, You removed the bra but why did you keep the necklace? It doesn't give anything to the photo and you mentioned that too.
2, The original skin color was so much better and more natural. Now the skin is red. I don't know why did you do that.
In my opinion the actual blue hair and red skin color don't fit together.

Feb 29 16 01:11 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 01:38 pm Link

Retoucher

Feb 29 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

anchev wrote:
I have spent 2.5 hours to work on your image just to make something out of nothing and I wonder what you are trying to tell me with this.

Rather condescending.  I don't even want to get into the unsolicited critiques as if you were in the photographer's head and know what they were going for.

Thought the point was to teach people when and where to retouch, not what they did wrong as photographers.

Feb 29 16 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Lolz

New York, New York, US

As a retoucher, why would you remove anything other than blemishes without the photographer or creative/art director expressing so?  Unless you're told otherwise, the bra is part of the look.

The browser isn't the problem with sRGB vs Adobe RGB rendering (nor are computers or monitors).  AdobeRGB (wide gamut color/sat/gamma/etc) is primarily for print.  sRGB is for web and general computer or handheld use(close enough is good enough with compression) since that's what the digital industry adopted as a standard with the exception of major printing.  It has to do with JPEG rendering engines and the way they handle specific ICC Profiles and color spaces via different websites.  Not all websites convert Adobe RGB to sRGB to negate the issue.  Further, Adobe RGB looks bland with desaturated reds when rendered with sRGB engines.  Quite the opposite of your explanation.  This characteristic is also NOT converse in the opposite side.  sRGB will look the same on the web when rendered with an Adobe RGB engine.

Edit.  I just noticed you keep switching between sRGB and aRGB without realizing it.  Odd thing for a "retoucher" to do.

Feb 29 16 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

David Kilper wrote:

Rather condescending.  I don't even want to get into the unsolicited critiques as if you were in the photographer's head and know what they were going for.

Thought the point was to teach people when and where to retouch, not what they did wrong as photographers.

Thank you.

Feb 29 16 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Bolton Photography

David Kilper wrote:
As a retoucher, why would you remove anything other than blemishes without the photographer or creative/art director expressing so?  Unless you're told otherwise, the bra is part of the look.

The browser isn't the problem with sRGB vs Adobe RGB rendering (nor are computers or monitors).  AdobeRGB (wide gamut color/sat/gamma/etc) is primarily for print.  sRGB is for web and general computer or handheld use(close enough is good enough with compression) since that's what the digital industry adopted as a standard with the exception of major printing.  It has to do with JPEG rendering engines and the way they handle specific ICC Profiles and color spaces via different websites.  Not all websites convert Adobe RGB to sRGB to negate the issue.  Further, Adobe RGB looks bland with desaturated reds when rendered with sRGB engines.  Quite the opposite of your explanation.  This characteristic is also NOT converse in the opposite side.  sRGB will look the same on the web when rendered with an Adobe RGB engine.

Edit.  I just noticed you keep switching between sRGB and aRGB without realizing it.  Odd thing for a "retoucher" to do.

Thank you again !!!
I didn't want to start a debate about the unnecessary or unwanted altering of body parts/clothing/jewelry  - it's terribly insulting to the client!

Here was my retouch on that same image

https://www.dropbox.com/s/njwasy28pc4rc … c.jpg?dl=0

Feb 29 16 09:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

I think it's converting issue because my photos look the same in Firefox or Chrome.
Are you using Prophoto RGB in photoshop and what about the outgoing converting setup to sRGB?

Feb 29 16 10:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Mar 01 16 01:20 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

anchev wrote:
I open the RAW file and at development stage I put it in 16-bit ProPhoto RGB. It stays like this till the very end when I flatten and export the image. At the export stage I convert it to 8-bit aRGB (Perceptual).

As for browsers again: My own test shows that colors render correctly in Windows in Firefox and Chrome and at the OS level I use the color profiles which EIZO's software created during calibration.

In Linux (when color management is enabled) - they render correctly in Firefox but look oversaturated in Chromium and Google Chrome. If color management and profiles are not enabled and used at OS level, the browser may do all kind of strange things and default to whatever it is programmed to.

as I though! In your case it's not the browser.
The problem is the ProPhoto RGB and how you convert it into sRGB.
Can you make a screenshot please to see your export setup? It could help to see if there any the problem.
https://i.imgur.com/Y0clnlk.jpg

Mar 01 16 02:59 am Link