Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Get 1 image retouched for free + Learn from it

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Mar 01 16 03:25 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

For fun, I opened the above image in Reallusion Face Filter 3 Pro (An $80 stand-alone program.) and it about blew me out of the chair.  Below is to get a feel of "electronic makeup" and where it's going.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/160301/08/56d5bd098f41d.jpg

After speaking with a Hollywood "Colorist" (Fwiw, a colorist is a movie retoucher.) they are doing a lot more additions to basic movie stock like more colorful or less as well as doing the actor's makeup electronically.  They are also moving into the gaming area for enhancement and more vibrant colors.  Seems like it could be an interesting field since it seems a lot of edited movie film goes to them for the final work now.  Guy I spoke to was building a new studio for $750K in Santa Clarita, CA and buying probably $90K in editing gear at the store in LA when I met him there.

Mar 01 16 08:22 am Link

Retoucher

Mar 01 16 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

GRMACK wrote:

First, thank you for playing around with my pictures. If you want to learn some feedback:
1) Median is not the right way to clean up "dirty" pictures smile I would use surface blur and than mask out, it keeps the edges(if I have time I will show how this would look like)
2) Using this makeup filter turns, for my eyes, the pic into a freak show.

Mar 01 16 09:18 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

anchev wrote:
Interesting version, funny indeed. smile Were you following any particular direction or just playing?

Naw. Just playing and hit the Dramatic button and this popped up which startled me.  I normally employ a MUAH person so stuff like eyes are tended to, but this electronic stuff was sort of a shock.

anchev wrote:
Are we invited? smile

I don't know.  He looked like the guy who was on the DaVinci Resolve 12 movie editing website. He was trashing his Apple Thunderbolts and buying four 31" Eizo CG-318 4K monitors (or whatever the $6K things each are called.) for replacements.  He didn't like the Apple T's for lack of shadow detail, glare, and too much vibrancy, which is also why I was at the same show to see them side-by-side before buying my cheapo 24" Eizo CG-278 4K monitor.  Sort of humbling really.

Fwiw, I just looked and the DaVinci Resolve 12 edit bay is $30K, and four Eizo 31" are $24K, so someone is making serious cash to do that sort of work.  He said he'll commute back and forth daily and seems to work late to avoid the rush hour stuff from Santa Clarita to Hollywood.  It was cheaper to build his new studio in Santa Clarita than LA.  I should have got his card maybe, but he likely has a whole lot of connections down there to do that too.

Mar 01 16 09:21 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Frank Sanders wrote:

First, thank you for playing around with my pictures. If you want to learn some feedback:
1) Median is not the right way to clean up "dirty" pictures smile I would use surface blur and than mask out, it keeps the edges(if I have time I will show how this would look like)
2) Using this makeup filter turns, for my eyes, the pic into a freak show.

Your probably right that Median isn't the best way to go along with the Quick Wand (or whatever its called) to mask an area.  I've played with it before and seems to even things out and hold onto shadows so it was my quickie tool than cloning.  I've never used the surface blur other than to soften something.  No doubt there's a lot of different ways to do something in PS.

And yes, the image looks like a freak show, but it was just for play and to demo this bizarre Face Filter software that works quick.  It could be dialed back in percentages - maybe - but the initial effect was shocking and meant as a demo for fun only - or maybe not depending on the person who likes that sort of artsy thing.

Problem for most images we see at the end is that we don't know what was at the front of the line.  Could be totally different.  Dunno.  I know when I shoot, I'm thinking of doctoring somehow at the end as it's often "bleah!" to me during the shoot.  The end often intensifies the beginning for me.

As to color issues far above, I have several devices and any image looks different on ALL of them:  Notebook. Tablet. Desktop. Cellphone.  They all appear different no matter how or if the devices are calibrated.  No doubt that difference is why when one sends the same image to several different labs, they rarely get back two that look alike.  Sometimes, not even the same lab can match a second run to the first.

The Eizo I have has an Emulation mode where I have all my gizmos loaded into it and can act on its screen as they would on the other device itself.  I can scroll the devices on the Eizo screen and watch the sundry device's image change.  I might like one on a given device, but the gamut the other device will never get there.  Example: One OLED is really blue, and the other is really red.  One has a rich black and no shadows; the other has shadows.  Pick one.  Which is right?  Whichever one I like.

While I was at the Eizo demo, the guy said their monitors are actually more than 100% Adobe RGB 1998.  How?  Because that Adobe RGB 1998 triangle we see in that CIE diagram contains more of the bottom portion of the triangle with their monitors than the assigned one in the CIE diagram.  So although their coverage is more, it does not quite hit the upper edge so they call it 99% Adobe RGB 1998 although it has more area in reality.

Plus, no two monitors are ever alike per X-rite even calibrated with consumerist tools.  What you see and what I see are likely not the same.  Same goes for lab outputs with their inks and monitor calibrations.  Perfect it isn't.  If we all used the same gear, maybe - but still tolerances exist as well as what the people who design this stuff think is good (i.e. X-rite  ColorTRUE, Apple ColorSync. MSI True Color. 15 different versions of sRGB lurking on a computer or Corel's PSP X8 sRGB current mess vs. Adobe. NKRGB.  Etc.).  It's a mess, and seems to be getting worse, imho.

Mar 01 16 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Frank Sanders

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Here the pic cleaned up with surface blur:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxySFA … sp=sharing

Mar 01 16 10:54 am Link

Retoucher

Mar 01 16 02:28 pm Link