Forums > General Industry > Is MM really just a popularity contest?

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lady_Death wrote:

But you can always crack open that ballot box and fix the votes! heehehehehe I seen too many teen movies...

You have my vote, Ms. Death!

Nov 29 06 06:43 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

I sincerely doubt the agencies are suffering that much.

But to answer the original question:  MM is for networking.  You can't network if you aren't interested in getting to know people. 

And nothing wrong with being popular.  I mean, as a model, I want to be popular.

Ditto... having more people know who I am has definitely helped me a lot. I've already met soooo many people to possibly work with when I get to LA.

If you really think about it, life itself is a popularity contest... it has its pitfalls, but also its perks.

Nov 29 06 06:47 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

As with most things in life, yes, and as with most things in life, popularity is arbitrary vis a vis those who tend to deserve it most. In all walks of life, simple popularity tends to be taken, not earned.

Big deal......

Nov 29 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Well, some of us work in relative isolation, especially if our work isn't published, and are curious to know how others respond to our images. I have met models through MM, and I find the community amusing as a passtime. Right now I'm busy and not shooting, but when the weather warms up and I have time, MM will again become a useful tool for me.

Of course if people want popularity and gratification, they can just go to DeviantART. I put up a few photos last night, and they've already been looked at more than anything in my MM gallery:-) There's just more browsers there. It's not much good for anything else though.

Nov 29 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jessalyn wrote:
which makes me wonder sometimes....do people really like MY pictures or are they just kissing my butt? I don't really know.

Never worry Jess.....you continue to put out amazing work.

Nov 29 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

yep it is!!! and i am the ringmaster of the circus in my mind..

-troy

Nov 29 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

Face Arts wrote:
YEP

YEP II

Nov 29 06 09:04 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

Lamonica wrote:
If you really think about it, life itself is a popularity contest... it has its pitfalls, but also its perks.

Now we're getting philosophical.
  I always heard life is like a box of chocolates...

Nov 29 06 09:10 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

Jessalyn wrote:
and to answer the OP, well I think that sometimes MM is a popularity contest because yes I do see some ports with crap images in them (photographers, models, no one is spared) yet people leave tons of comments on them "wow! this is great!"

which makes me wonder sometimes....do people really like MY pictures or are they just kissing my butt? I don't really know.

How much would it bother you if they were kissing your butt?

I dig an ego boost. But I value criticism, when it's done right.

Nov 29 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Brian Douglas Ahern

Muskegon, Michigan, US

So far it hasn't been [a popularity contest] for the models I've contacted. Already had one amazing shoot with Grand Rapids, Michigan model Bretton Himes (he's really good, very professional & talented) and have made some good contacts.

I also tend only to leave comments on photos which appeal to me or with newcomers I feel show genuine potential--not those I think would look impressive in my Friends List. If I don't care for someone's work, I simply don't comment. I go on to find something that does appeal to me.

I guess it comes from going through life having NEVER been popular, so I never thought much of it.   I no longer care much if I'M popular--it's my work, and my models, who need to have a broad range of appeal.

Who is does that catchy tune "High School Never Ends"?

So true.

-Briz

Nov 29 06 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

lotusphoto wrote:

-43f and you're thinking model, i'm sitting in +43f and i'm thinking more firewood..

That makes two of us... Brrrrrrr!

Nov 29 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Stanton Digital

Connersville, Indiana, US

The biggest problem I find is getting models to return mail and follow up. I've had one out of eight I've contacted that I have actually shot. She was great too.

Nov 29 06 09:23 am Link

Model

Mr Weaver

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well it seems to be a popularity contest.. but also if your photos dont do to well.. then you really wont get to much work.. just a bunch of hits and miss..

Nov 29 06 10:15 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

lotusphoto wrote:

i know i like seeing models that shop the same place that he did

big_smile  S/H would be nothing for those parcels.

Nov 29 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Yehoshua David wrote:
no. i am a professional

Jessalyn wrote:
*snork*

*vomit*

haha, that made me laugh.

https://photoworks.ws/images/icons/icon_rofl.gif

Nov 29 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

Anthony Weaver Jr wrote:
but also if your photos dont do to well.. then you really wont get to much work..

Well, I'd like to think my photos (the ones in my port anyways) don't SUCK.. But I'm assuming that since I haven't got a bunch of negative tags, I'm at least good enough to not stand out in the wrong kinda way. But hey, I've only been shooting with people for a  few months. I have a lot to learn. And I have no studio, and no good lights to work with. But, with more work coming in, new gear is on the horizon. smile

Nov 29 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Tanya O

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, this site is a popularity contest.

Nov 29 06 12:27 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

KelseyAnn wrote:
I dig an ego boost. But I value criticism, when it's done right.

I agree with this.  Being told "your hot!" is great, but I wanna hear how I can be smokin'!  smile

Nov 29 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

Mission Viejo, California, US

hmmm... I've been on here a little over a month. My sole purpose in coming on here was to expand my horizons, learn some stuff, do some shoots with some folks that actually like being in front of a lens.. and then perhaps build my business from a "family photographer" to a more commercial venue.

So far, after some "networking" I've done three shoots, have about 6 others lined up for the next month or two.. and I'm looking forward to more... We'll see about how that last part pans out, as I'm not sure how much paid work I'll get from here yet.. But so far my port is growing and changing, and that's what I wanted when I joined up.

I love the tags and compliments!! Who doesn't?? But in the end, I'm the one I have to please, and I've found I'm far pickier about my work that anyone else is anyway. So I don't listen to opinions all THAT much (unless it's a paying client that is).. tho they do matter to me.

Life is what you make and create it to be. If I want mm to be my popularity test, then that's what it will be to me.. If I want to use it as a tool to grow, learn, experience and share.. then that's what it will be to me.

oooooohhhh... I sounded wise for a sec there didn't I??? lol!!

Dec 01 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

and Melissa.. in more than a few pics in your port, I KNOW I saw some steam from my monitor.. you're smokin' pretty damn well I'd say.. ;o) lol!

Dec 01 06 01:11 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

little apple blossom wrote:
Like prom it's not always the prettiest people that win.

Not sure where you went to school, but from my recollection, the prettiest people alway s won-whether they deserved it or not.

Dec 01 06 01:11 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

This is what it looks like if you lock 10,000 narcissists in a room with typewriters..

The mods merely clean up the poop.

Lol... so true!

Dec 01 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

Isis wrote:

Lol... so true!

Incredible shots, great mu.. it's why I like this site. Call it a "popularity contest" if you like.. But I'm thinkin' if you're calling it that, perhaps you've been on here to long and you've become numb to what you see on here.

Great stuff Isis!!

Oh wait.. was that part of the contest? oops! ;o)

Dec 01 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

SickShooter wrote:

Not sure where you went to school, but from my recollection, the prettiest people alway s won-whether they deserved it or not.

I hated high-school. ;o)

probably cuz I was the nerd with the camera.

Dec 01 06 01:21 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jack Blake wrote:
Incredible shots, great mu.. it's why I like this site. Call it a "popularity contest" if you like.. But I'm thinkin' if you're calling it that, perhaps you've been on here to long and you've become numb to what you see on here.

Great stuff Isis!!

Oh wait.. was that part of the contest? oops! ;o)

Thanks! smile  You have great work, and some cool concepts. 

Now, don't get me wrong, this site has some definite redeeming qualities, but you can't deny the truth.  Not to mention, the point of this site is being seen, the only way to be seen is to be active, hence popular people will eventually emerge.  Not a bad or good thing per se- merely interesting (to me atleast).

P.S.  It's cool that you view the site this way- it's people with your mentality that contribute to making this a good site.  I wouldn't say I'm numb to it- more so just realistic.

Dec 01 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Well, if it is I lost! And that's fine with me!

wink

Dec 01 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

Isis wrote:

Thanks! smile  You have great work, and some cool concepts. 

Now, don't get me wrong, this site has some definite redeeming qualities, but you can't deny the truth.  Not to mention, the point of this site is being seen, the only way to be seen is to be active, hence popular people will eventually emerge.  Not a bad or good thing per se- merely interesting (to me atleast).

P.S.  It's cool that you view the site this way- it's people with your mentality that contribute to making this a good site.  I wouldn't say I'm numb to it- more so just realistic.

Whoa.. there's an eye opener!! Why complain about this being a popularity contest, when the whole idea to the site is to see and be seen?? AND to be popular, liked, admired for your work, accepted by the "mm community" and to make some dough from it?

Isn't that the entire purpose in networking on here? Get "popular"?? (rich 'n famous)

Dec 01 06 01:32 am Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Like I said, to me it's not particularly a good or bad things... just something I've observed as well.  I love feedback and popularity in the community as much as the next person, but I'm also a fan of substance in this industry...  and what's popular sometimes lacks substance.

Dec 01 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
Well, some of us work in relative isolation,

Some of us are just isolated by distance..

(:-------

Hj

Dec 01 06 01:40 am Link

Photographer

Jack Blake

Isis wrote:
Like I said, to me it's not particularly a good or bad things... just something I've observed as well.  I love feedback and popularity in the community as much as the next person, but I'm also a fan of substance in this industry...  and what's popular sometimes lacks substance.

That's a completely different topic on it's own.. and open to the subjectivity of the viewer.

I've been a member of www.photo.net for years. The most "popular" photogs are ALWAYS the ones that do nudes.. just cuz they're nudes.

If I'd relied on that criteria in the "popularity" of my photography, I'd be sorely lacking. ANYTHING on the web seems to be like that... oh well.

Substance really is everything. And how you carry yourself professionally.

I figure if I carry myself, speak, act and create as professionally as I possibly can, the audience I'm trying to reach will find me "popular".. and will spread my word, and my work..

And I'll become popular.

I win, YOU win.. we all win.. right?

good job, Isis.

ooooops!!! You've become popular to me!! lol!! yikes)

Not a bad thing.

Dec 01 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

life is a popularity contest.

Dec 01 06 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Ron Goldstein

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

No, really ???? it can't be , I had no idea .. you mean ? is it ? MM? LOL

Dec 01 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

popularity is stupid.

Dec 01 06 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

cisstudio wrote:
I've never been good at popularity contests.  I was the kid who got shoved in a locker, daily at school sad...   Looks like I am taking a beating on here too.  I just can't win!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

But you know what? Everybody knew about the kid who always got shoved in the locker, so that makes you popular. As long as you're not the kid who shit his pants during Gym class.

Popularity, self promotion, hell yeah that's what it's all about...well, there are a few pictures to look at here and there too.

Dec 01 06 07:53 am Link