Forums > General Industry > Is MM really just a popularity contest?

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

Just a random thought because I'm bored and freezing my ass off. (it's -43F atm)  Sometimes, it seems that it is. To me anyways. At times, it seems like people are more concerned with gathering tags and friend requests than actually MEETING models, stylists, etc. And it seems some people are just here to cut up other photographers or models that aren't as good as they may be.

I'm somewhat guilty myself, as I often finding myself logging on to check for comments, friend requests, etc, rather than looking for a model to shoot with or a makeup artist who wants to get in on a shoot and get new material for their own ports. But hey, sometimes, it'd better than being bored to death. big_smile

Nov 29 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Yes.

Nov 29 06 12:23 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

photiesto wrote:
Just a random thought because I'm bored and freezing my ass off. (it's -43F atm)  Sometimes, it seems that it is. To me anyways. At times, it seems like people are more concerned with gathering tags and friend requests than actually MEETING models, stylists, etc. And it seems some people are just here to cut up other photographers or models that aren't as good as they may be.

I'm somewhat guilty myself, as I often finding myself logging on to check for comments, friend requests, etc, rather than looking for a model to shoot with or a makeup artist who wants to get in on a shoot and get new material for their own ports. But hey, sometimes, it'd better than being bored to death. big_smile

This is what it looks like if you lock 10,000 narcissists in a room with typewriters..

The mods merely clean up the poop.

Nov 29 06 12:24 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

yes.

life is a popularity contest.

Nov 29 06 12:26 am Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Like prom it's not always the prettiest people that win.

Nov 29 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

just know Bennies smile

Nov 29 06 12:29 am Link

Model

Tori L

Granite Bay, California, US

As I sit here writing this comment and procrastinating on homework...

I'm curious, how much this site, myspace, and one model place, have cut down on agency work. I understand that agencies are used, but these sites must be irritating the hell out of them.

Models, photographers, and MUAs all working together without agency getting any percentage of the action.

I just did a shoot for a local business guy, who in the past had to get Ford model, a photographer and the photographer would find an MUA. His total costs for a good shoot would end up being about $3000. This time he did it with me (free), MUA (free thanks to MAC counter), and photographer being about 350... Total 350. That has to kill agencies to think how many deals are going on like that....

Nov 29 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

photiesto wrote:

-43f and you're thinking model, i'm sitting in +43f and i'm thinking more firewood..

Nov 29 06 12:38 am Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Really I think there are some people here that are overcelibrated for what their work consists of. Or sometimes a popular and talented person will post pictures that I don't think are very good but they still get tons of love and I wonder if it's a case of the emperor's clothes.

Nov 29 06 12:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

YEP

Nov 29 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

little apple blossom wrote:
Really I think there are some people here that are overcelibrated for what their work consists of. Or sometimes a popular and talented person will post pictures that I don't think are very good but they still get tons of love and I wonder if it's a case of the emperor's clothes.

i know i like seeing models that shop the same place that he did

Nov 29 06 12:48 am Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

lotusphoto wrote:

i know i like seeing models that shop the same place that he did

ha ha

Nov 29 06 12:49 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Tori L wrote:
As I sit here writing this comment and procrastinating on homework...

I'm curious, how much this site, myspace, and one model place, have cut down on agency work. I understand that agencies are used, but these sites must be irritating the hell out of them.

Models, photographers, and MUAs all working together without agency getting any percentage of the action.

I just did a shoot for a local business guy, who in the past had to get Ford model, a photographer and the photographer would find an MUA. His total costs for a good shoot would end up being about $3000. This time he did it with me (free), MUA (free thanks to MAC counter), and photographer being about 350... Total 350. That has to kill agencies to think how many deals are going on like that....

I sincerely doubt the agencies are suffering that much.

But to answer the original question:  MM is for networking.  You can't network if you aren't interested in getting to know people. 

And nothing wrong with being popular.  I mean, as a model, I want to be popular.

Nov 29 06 01:03 am Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yes, the site seems to be a good place to get your ego stroked if you're nice about it, and crushed to itty-bitty pieces if you show a hint of attitude without having friends here first, but hey, that's life. I mostly joined to see if it would bring me to more photographers than OMP, and it hasn't exactly, but it HAS given me my own personal gallery of amazing photographers and models who inspire me and sometimes make me insanely jealous..... best of all, I can see it for free, yay! Also, I love the inane chatter and the fact you can comment on everyone's work if you feel like it.... it's kind of like MySpace with less emo's and scene kids... pretty much every website I belong to works just this way though, you have your central "popular" group who never shut up and of course are the "be all/end all" of said group and everyone who doesn't fit the mold or improve on it in some way gets eaten alive and alienated until they just fade away... no different from real life as I have experienced it so far... so....yeah....

Nov 29 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

lotusphoto wrote:
-43f and you're thinking model, i'm sitting in +43f and i'm thinking more firewood..

Yeah, but I'm Canadian. big_smile Another few degrees, and I'll have to start wearing a coat when I run out to do errands. big_smile

And i do mean "Run", the radiator on the Jeep is frozen solid and the power steering is frozen, so... i can't drive till the weather warms up. sad

Nov 29 06 01:05 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

It is a great site.
I love it.
But the popularity part of it bothers me.
I get noticed by default often not in a good way.

But I do believe I know this site or at least the threads and the history of them better than most and can recall them.   I do find the fact that some great talent is ignored while others reap the rewards of being the head cheerleaders in high school or the head burnout.

It is but I still like it regardless.

Nov 29 06 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Yes, and I am losing

Nov 29 06 01:18 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

No, I am mostly to meet photographers here, to improve, to produce every time  something different from what was done before. I don't think popularity drives everything. If somebody has 100 comments under lousy pic, this only means it was shown to 200 times more people than average pic wink

I like communication to other models too. Some of the ports are very inspiring and I have my favorite photogs and models and enjoy watching their latest pics.

Nov 29 06 01:18 am Link

Photographer

Joseph D Castleberry

Chicago, Illinois, US

LOL - what a great topic - If it is a popularity contest - I'd be the last one to give a shit - I think everyone on here should feel this way - but  , just an opinion !

Either way - it shouldnt matter - being a part of something "like MM , or other sites " is not about what others do or think - you should be doing for your own reasons always !

Nov 29 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

I've never been good at popularity contests.  I was the kid who got shoved in a locker, daily at school sad...   Looks like I am taking a beating on here too.  I just can't win!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Nov 29 06 01:26 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

cisstudio wrote:
I've never been good at popularity contests.  I was the kid who got shoved in a locker, daily at school sad...   Looks like I am taking a beating on here too.  I just can't win!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You did't really mean it, did you? https://foolstown.com/sm/ven.gif

Nov 29 06 01:42 am Link

Model

ciaogoodbyeadios

I don't use it as a popularity contest.  I won't add people that won't help me.  IE.. models.  I believe I have only one model added to my friends list and that's because i want to keep up on her career.  Other than that... I don't add people unless I honestly would like to work with them someday.

Nov 29 06 02:52 am Link

Model

Yehoshua David

Richmond, California, US

no. i am a professional

Nov 29 06 03:09 am Link

Model

KoriK

Phoenix, Arizona, US

yes...

Nov 29 06 03:31 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Yehoshua David wrote:
no. i am a professional

*snork*

*vomit*

haha, that made me laugh.

Nov 29 06 03:33 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Oh don't worry, we meet
and plan meetings   ...  then meet again

We talk s**t too! (you wouldn't believe the things i heard!!)
if i just spoke the language ...

but yes it is ''popularity'' too
heres mine:
https://foolstown.com/sm/daz.gif

Nov 29 06 03:34 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
This is what it looks like if you lock 10,000 narcissists in a room with typewriters..

I woke up at 3:30 am to get a drink of water and this just made my night. I definitely LOL'ed

Nov 29 06 03:34 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

you have a lovely  LOL ...

wink

Nov 29 06 03:35 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

and to answer the OP, well I think that sometimes MM is a popularity contest because yes I do see some ports with crap images in them (photographers, models, no one is spared) yet people leave tons of comments on them "wow! this is great!"

which makes me wonder sometimes....do people really like MY pictures or are they just kissing my butt? I don't really know.

Nov 29 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jessalyn wrote:

I woke up at 3:30 am to get a drink of water and this just made my night. I definitely LOL'ed

It was a funny post.

Nov 29 06 03:38 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

Star wrote:
Yes, and I am losing

hardly  i live just to wish i was you...
https://bestsmileys.com/angles/3.gif
or working with you
and Joey....
https://bestsmileys.com/angles/3.gif

Nov 29 06 03:46 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

Yup and an ego trip. I like people telling me that I'm purrty big_smile

But I like getting work too...

Nov 29 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Anybody who thinks that this is just a popularity contest has not been participating much in the industry related fora.

There is such a wealth of information available and you can find models if you want... it all depends what you are looking for and MM got it all.

For me... I don't look for models on MM, but it's for networking etc.

So, if you want to explore MM's value... try to participate in the fora. By having 5 posts ever or a 100plus... it's a faint indication that your own contribution is not that great yet and no wonder you are stuck with the idea of a popularity contest... which is certainly part of MM, but by no means the non plus ultra of MM.

Toodles

Nov 29 06 05:36 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

W.G. Rowland wrote:

ROFLMFAO

Nov 29 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

sure why not.....pick me add me to your friends list......lol

Nov 29 06 05:50 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

photiesto wrote:
At times, it seems like people are more concerned with gathering tags and friend requests than actually MEETING models, stylists, etc.

Trust me when I tell you that 'TAGs and Friend Requests' definitely turn into meetings... so keep that action goin... wink

Nov 29 06 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

It's whatever you make it. . . with certain rigid limitations. . . .

Nov 29 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

photiesto wrote:

Where have you been?  A cave?

The world is a popularity contest, in case you hadn't noticed.

Nov 29 06 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

Where have you been?  A cave?

The world is a popularity contest, in case you hadn't noticed.

There hasn't been a person born that didn't want his 15 minutes of fame!

Nov 29 06 06:36 am Link

Model

Lady_Death

little apple blossom wrote:
Like prom it's not always the prettiest people that win.

But you can always crack open that ballot box and fix the votes! heehehehehe I seen too many teen movies...

Nov 29 06 06:40 am Link