Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How the heloo MAVRINis retouching Skin ??

Photographer

SebastienLory

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Title says it all ! I am a big Fan of Mavrin Pics.

Ok, for sure superb girls, quite nude all the the time but hey, i'm talking about skin.

Particularly because of lot of nude pics, there are always lot of skin visible and I ABSOLUTELY  LOOOVE how the skin looks !!! ( color , texture, lights and shadows ... ) DAMN I AM SO LOVING the way it retouch !!

Sure it is not high end but i don't care, this is what i love to see !! Skin is looking natural, not too smooth, realistic lights and shadows, not the usal D&B often a bit flat look etc ...

You will have understood, i love and i would like to understand how he deals with so much skin to retouch on all his pics, and i'm pretty sure he is not kind of guys staying many hours per images for retouching skins !!

So, if anybody can help me to understand what he could do ... I spent so much time trying to analyse, test ... but canno't reach any similar kind of look sad

Thx in advance

Sebastien
http://sebastienlory.com

Feb 10 15 06:43 am Link

Photographer

cwwmbm

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It's great that you didn't forget to post the link to your website, but maybe post a link to what you're trying to achieve? Or do you expect people to google in order to help you?

Feb 10 15 09:57 am Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Mavrin just like Lenin has a very Russian approach to retouching. Best is probably to look at Russian retouching videos.
Besides that, their choice of models already eliminates a lot of problems at the base.
I believe the model in my avatar did work with both of them and I can tell you that I didn't have to photoshop her skin much, in contrast to most western models I worked with...

Feb 10 15 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

It is very russian. smile You can check Max Twain also. His videos on Youtube would give you some ideas.

Feb 10 15 11:08 am Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Looks like some pics have gradient adjustment layer clipped to low frequency for coloring

Feb 11 15 02:04 am Link

Photographer

SebastienLory

Tulack wrote:
It is very russian. smile You can check Max Twain also. His videos on Youtube would give you some ideas.

Hummm, Max twain, for me it looks totally overdone and nothing to compare to MAVRIN stuff.  Mavrin, the skin looks real and natural while obviously retouched because too much "perfect" in term of texture or color to be only due to good looking girls  ...

Really, i am amazed by the dude...

Feb 11 15 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

SebastienLory wrote:
Hummm, Max twain, for me it looks totally overdone and nothing to compare to MAVRIN stuff.  Mavrin, the skin looks real and natural while obviously retouched because too much "perfect" in term of texture or color to be only due to good looking girls  ...

Really, i am amazed by the dude...

smile Overdone is just a scale of someting being done.

Feb 11 15 11:36 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Feb 11 15 11:59 am Link

Photographer

CunoniPhotoG

Boston, Massachusetts, US

wow i said the same thing about , @dplysnin  " Dmitriy Plyusnin editing skills . and been trying to figure out . very similar style .

Feb 12 15 07:09 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

he is having alot of fun big_smile

Feb 13 15 07:35 am Link

Photographer

SebastienLory

CunoniPhotoG wrote:
wow i said the same thing about , @dplysnin  " Dmitriy Plyusnin editing skills . and been trying to figure out . very similar style .

Totally agree !! Murbo is good also ! I follow also this guy and some other russians !  But Mavrin is definitely the best for me

Feb 13 15 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Dev

Reno, Nevada, US

*note to self: Bucket list - Plan a trip to Russia & connect Mavrin. 1) Understand how he gets such consistently, unbelievable skin tone. 2) Verify on russian models  smile

Feb 25 15 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Dev wrote:
*note to self: Bucket list - Plan a trip to Russia & connect Mavrin. 1) Understand how he gets such consistently, unbelievable skin tone. 2) Verify on russian models  smile

smile No need to go to Russia. Just open in HSL and you will get your answer. It's consistent for every image.

Feb 26 15 01:04 am Link

Retoucher

SamCross

Stupino, Moskovskaya Oblast, Russia

they do not retouch magazine. As a rule, the skin tone in chocolate color rework. and toning. if you want to develop the right taste retouching, see more magazines. This finished product

Feb 26 15 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Tulack wrote:

I didn't know there was a Russian way to retouch. Is there an American way to retouch?
I'd love to see a comparison list of culturally different retouch styles! Is that a thing?

Feb 26 15 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Penumbra Photography wrote:
I didn't know there was a Russian way to retouch. Is there an American way to retouch?
I'd love to see a comparison list of culturally different retouch styles! Is that a thing?

When (if) you go to fifth grade you will learn that there are things as Italian school of painting, german school, eastern, western, modern, postmodern etc. And it's not because they are using diferent kind op paint, but because people in community affect each other.

Feb 26 15 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Penumbra Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Tulack wrote:
When (if) you go to fifth grade you will learn that there are things as Italian school of painting, german school, eastern, western, modern, postmodern etc. And it's not because they are using diferent kind op paint, but because people in community affect each other.

There was no need for the condescending tone in your reply, I meant no disrespect by my comment. I am legitimately surprised that there is such a noticeable difference within a culture when it comes to retouching. And I would really enjoy a comparison of each cultures style. I don't know why that seems ill-learned to you, retouching isn't exactly painting. It's manipulation, which is starting from an already created piece and changing it. I figured that was universal... fuck me, right?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/48109763.jpg

Feb 26 15 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Penumbra Photography wrote:
retouching isn't exactly painting. It's manipulation, which is starting from an already created piece and changing it. I figured that was universal...

It's not. Starting with... In Russia every photographer also a retoucher.  Piece created when retouching is done. Not before. And if you notice, here was mentioned 5 names. And they are all russian. I can name 5 more from memory. And I don't know any from US who does the same.

Here is another style you can find only in Russia.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/939905

Retouching has nothing to do with technics. It's set of mind.

Feb 26 15 11:59 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

Very strange. There are estimated to be 84.5 million internet users in Russia. Retouching online is an open worldwide market to virtually anyone. What's this uniquely Russian thing all about?

Feb 26 15 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

What kind of photographer would give it's images to somebody else?  Plus there in no market for photographers. Brand is valuble, regardless of cost.

84.5 million included those who checking email once a month. There are about 20 photographers in Russia, and as I know they all retouching their own images. And I know only one retoucher who is not a photographer.

Feb 26 15 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Tulack wrote:
What kind of photographer would give it's images to somebody else?

Busy photographers.

Annie Liebovitz. Craig McDean. Steven Meisel. Inez and Vinoodh. Nick Vedros. David LaChappelle. ...

Feb 26 15 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tulack

Kevin Connery wrote:
Busy photographers.

Annie Liebovitz. Craig McDean. Steven Meisel. Inez and Vinoodh. Nick Vedros. David LaChappelle. ...

They are not busy. They are just old school who got used that film makers and film developers were doing their job for them. This is just atavism. Photographers who process their images are already dinosaurus. For nowadays if you are not a 3d guru you have no feature.

Disney hired Annie Liebovitz just to push the button on the camera. - Come over here, push it, you free to go, we will do the rest. Most dinosarus work like that.

Take her early work

https://juliawakeham.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/john-yoko.jpg

What is it? A master piece? Person who took a camera first time can make such snap shot. She did even less. Because film makers already put a "look" to film she used, and film developers process it the right way.

Feb 26 15 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Tulack wrote:
https://juliawakeham.files.wordpress.co … n-yoko.jpg

What is it? A master piece? Person who took a camera first time can make such snap shot. She did even less. Because film makers already put a "look" to film she used, and film developers process it the right way.

Yeah, technically "simple"... but what about the story..., the idea for that shoot... the trust of those two celebrities into the photographer as an artist, to execute such a vulnerable situation?!

Would your anecdotal beginning photographer be able to be allowed by those two (or others) people to be photographed like that, unless there would be a very special relationship already established?

Too many photographers are hung up on technical and retouching perfection!

I am a story-teller, not a technician, who beliefs that imperfection can be more exciting than technical perfection! Alternatively, you can also put it that content has priority over perfection.

However, I am in search of a retouching style that fits me... although I do have a "system"... I am searching for something in addition to support the mood that I try to evoke, sometimes.

Feb 27 15 12:57 am Link

Retoucher

Helena

Pervomaysk, Mykolayivs'ka, Ukraine

This is not a Russian style. This style - one particular person, Max Twain. He teaches and sells lessons retouching. Lessons about 10,  different types of retouching - weddings, collages, nude, art. Mavrin Appeared in retouching later. I think he took those lessons.

Retouching - frequency sp.
Highlights and shadows - in 50 % gray layer.
Color Correction -   Channel Mixer.

This is one technique. How highly clean skin,  color toned and add effects decides each.
Knowing the technique can make natural picture. If enlarge - will be art.

Mar 14 15 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Doug Stringham

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Helena  wrote:
This is not a Russian style. This style - one particular person, Max Twain. He teaches and sells lessons retouching. Lessons about 10,  different types of retouching - weddings, collages, nude, art. Mavrin Appeared in retouching later. I think he took those lessons.

I agree with your assessment.

Frequency separation is critical to great skin in photos.

Mar 15 15 01:40 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

Doug Stringham wrote:
Frequency separation is critical to great skin in photos.

Occasionally useful but certainly not critical. Some of the best retouchers don't use frequency separation at all.

Mar 15 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

Helena  wrote:

Where is Max Twain lessons selling at.  I want to see

Mar 15 15 08:21 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

barepixels wrote:

Where is Max Twain lessons selling at.  I want to see

http://www.maxtwain.com/#!store/cvkz

Mar 15 15 08:32 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

thnx.  i went and saw.  umm maxtain is way over done for my taste

http://mavrinstudios.com/  is very nice

Mar 20 15 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

SebastienLory

barepixels wrote:
thnx.  i went and saw.  umm maxtain is way over done for my taste

http://mavrinstudios.com/  is very nice

I fully agree.   What is great in Mavrin retouch is that the skin looks still very natural !!  For the color, depending on the taste  people can like or not ( personally i like the consistency ) but how the hell can he retouch so much skin in each models while keeping it looking so natural ... in D&b it would take hours, in FS it won't look natural at all and smmothed ...

I shoot a model that Mavrin shot and yes she had really super skin but at the end all my pics canno't have this color consistency and so natural skin look

This model said me Mavrin learned also digital painting and this is why it make his retouch different.

Mar 21 15 12:46 am Link

Photographer

RINALDI

Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

SebastienLory wrote:
I fully agree.   What is great in Mavrin retouch is that the skin looks still very natural !!  For the color, depending on the taste  people can like or not ( personally i like the consistency ) but how the hell can he retouch so much skin in each models while keeping it looking so natural ... in D&b it would take hours, in FS it won't look natural at all and smmothed ...

I shoot a model that Mavrin shot and yes she had really super skin but at the end all my pics canno't have this color consistency and so natural skin look

This model said me Mavrin learned also digital painting and this is why it make his retouch different.

Ahhh then there is your answer. Everyone who learned (digital) painting can essentially paint a person from blank, they don't need a starting picture. Painters can comp and light by head. So for him having an image, that's just simple to enhace it by painting over it, so it might not even be cloning, healing d&b, etc, it might be possible that he paints over it and only uses the texture.

Edit:
Probably one of the reasons I am having trouble with retouching, I can't paint 2.5D, even failed painting class in high school wink

Mar 21 15 03:28 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

I'm sure he is a good photographer and that is one of the main part of his work but I don't know why you think he uses a special technique, painting or something else.
It's mostly dodge and burn!
MAYBE frequency separation combined with surface blur, dust and scratches, median, or special "skin" filter to make the skin work faster, easier and more even.
Of course toning, lightning and shaping etc. every standard post process.

Mar 21 15 11:23 am Link

Photographer

PeelFoto

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I've spent hours and days trying to replicate the Mavrin look. It does seem to be a trend in russian photographers, I agree with some of the postrs that mention this. Fedor Shmidt seems to achieve an even more flawless look while still retaining an element of realism in most of his work. If we look at it as a piece of art rather than a piece of photo realism, then you can't but help admiring their work. They don't appear too prolific though, which might be a clue to the amount of hours put in to each image. The digital painting does sound about right. I read a forum somewhere where someone outright asked Shmidt what technique was used... his response was simple, "Learn Photoshop".

I trawl through YouTube every once in a while looking for retouching demos that have this kind of end product, haven't yet found one that matches Mavrin or Shmidt though.

Good luck in your search... and drop me a line if you find what you're looking for!

Apr 01 15 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

BillyPhotography

Chicago, Illinois, US

MAVRIN has video tutorials......  A lot of lightroom sliders and regular dodge and burn.. See youtube

Apr 02 15 04:30 am Link

Retoucher

ST Retouch

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

Mavrin's  work is very nice.

Beside photography, post production , using of amazing beautiful models is that "extra charm " in his images.

I can see very well trained eye in his post production work which is crucial for photography, because there are no files straight from the camera.

Retouching of skin is very nice but this is not crucial with that level of work.

I can see very nice balance between foreground and background ( between model and background) , and this is something that you can achieve only in post production with very well trained eyes and talent.

There are no special retouching techniques here except very talented and trained eyes to make great composition.

Everything about retouching is already known, D&B, FS, whatever else  , but what you make different from the others are talent and trained eye for composition and final image.

I can see in his work very nice macro D&B steps for re-lighting of images and adding nice lighting effects and balance between foreground and background - some people call this technique digital painting , but is it not classic digital painting with drawing elements or textures - this is very well trained eye to completely re-light image with retouching.

These steps are more important in final composition then skin retouching.

It is not enough just to learn how to make skin retouching and to paint pixels on skin with D&B steps , for final images you need much more then skin retouching , you need  talent to make images and trained eyes for final composition.

Best
ST

Apr 02 15 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Tulack wrote:
https://juliawakeham.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/john-yoko.jpg

Yes, it is. 

Look, I do a lot of work with digital imaging, including compositing and, now, 3D work - I have nothing against it.  But if you can't see why this image (and one's like it) is more important than some slick ad campaign, and more than just a snapshot, then I really have to wonder about your artistic sensibility...

Apr 02 15 07:20 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Giacomo Cirrincioni wrote:
But if you can't see why this image (and one's like it) is more important than some slick ad campaign, and more than just a snapshot, then I really have to wonder about your artistic sensibility...

The only reason why this image is important because it's last picture of John Lennon. If it would be picture of you or me, even shot by Leibovitz, it would be just a piece of shit.

Apr 02 15 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Tulack wrote:

The only reason why this image is important because it's last picture of John Lennon. If it would be picture of you or me, even shot by Leibovitz, it would be just a piece of shit.

wow

Apr 02 15 10:48 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

Tulack wrote:
If it would be picture of.......me, even shot by Leibovitz, it would be just a piece of shit.

For once I agree!

Apr 02 15 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

AKMac wrote:

For once I agree!

Thank you.

Apr 02 15 12:21 pm Link