Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Remake, sequel, or perfect as is?

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>  But hey, I started this thread.

I hate how Hollywood changes "perfect" books or shows or movies and changes the ending. 

So, name one of these "perfect" films and propose how Hollywood would change it nowadays.

They did that  with Fight Club. The ending is nowhere near how Palahniuk wrote it. Way way bad ass in the book. Marla and the narrator holding hands...ppsshhhhh.

Jan 09 15 11:17 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Repo Man: pretty much perfect as is.

Jan 09 15 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
You might be able to do 'Looker' but the technology is almost mundane now.

I was so happy when Looker came out on DVD a few years back.

Jan 09 15 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Good Egg Productions wrote:
The stunt where the woman falls onto the roof of the car is still, in my opinion, the greatest stunt every captured on film.

Real stunts are amazing to watch.  I recently watched all of the James Bond movies, because I'd never seen them.  I was really impressed with the jetpack.  These days it would be cgi and blue screen.  Those days it could have been mirror, wires, and smoke.  But no, the James Bond people didn't resort to any kind of special effects trickery.  When they needed a man flying away in a jetpack, they filmed a man flying away in a jetpack.  I was so disappointed in a later movie when the flying car (a ford pinto perhaps) wasn't actually a flying car, but just a special effects trick.

Some movies are getting really good at CGI though.  When I watched The Last Circus, a movie from Spain, I was so impressed at how little CGI they had and their use of real stunts and real actors.  When I watched the makeing-of, I had to revise my position, and instead be impressed at just how good their CGI was.

Looker can't be that far off...

Jan 09 15 11:51 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

Pixar's, "The Incredibles" is probably the best super hero movie ever made.  No need for a sequel.

Crap! 

http://screenrant.com/incredibles-2-cars-3-details/

Jan 09 15 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

Schlake wrote:
Real stunts are amazing to watch.  I recently watched all of the James Bond movies, because I'd never seen them.  I was really impressed with the jetpack.  These days it would be cgi and blue screen.  Those days it could have been mirror, wires, and smoke.  But no, the James Bond people didn't resort to any kind of special effects trickery.  When they needed a man flying away in a jetpack, they filmed a man flying away in a jetpack.  I was so disappointed in a later movie when the flying car (a ford pinto perhaps) wasn't actually a flying car, but just a special effects trick.

Some movies are getting really good at CGI though.  When I watched The Last Circus, a movie from Spain, I was so impressed at how little CGI they had and their use of real stunts and real actors.  When I watched the makeing-of, I had to revise my position, and instead be impressed at just how good their CGI was.

Looker can't be that far off...

Maybe not in this movie but it was done for real

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automoti … -airplane/

Isn't the "Looker gun" the same thing as they use in MIB to make people forget stuff?

Jan 10 15 05:37 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Jaws might be so much more fun now...

Priscilla, queen of the desert could do with a facelift.

Ben Hur. Ramming speed.

Jan 10 15 07:04 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I wish Americans would stop remaking foreign films (and shows) that were awesome to begin with.

Take, for example, "Let the Right One In." It's a beautiful movie.

The American version, "Let Me In" was focused more on the horror element, lacked the intense emotional components that made the European one so amazing. I was like, "Meh."

If I'd never seen the European one, I could have watched the US version and been like, "Ok. Solid entertainment value," but after seeing the original, it was just disappointing.

Also, the British version of The Office was really funny. The American one bored me to tears, and I couldn't figure out why. It just wasn't as good.

Jan 10 15 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Koryn wrote:
I wish Americans would stop remaking foreign films (and shows) that were awesome to begin with.

The American version, "Let Me In" was focused more on the horror element, lacked the intense emotional components that made the European one so amazing. I was like, "Meh."

If I'd never seen the European one, I could have watched the US version and been like, "Ok. Solid entertainment value," but after seeing the original, it was just disappointing.

Also, the British version of The Office was really funny. The American one bored me to tears, and I couldn't figure out why. It just wasn't as good.

Yeah, I agree with this too. The remake of La Femme Nikita was lame as was the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Jan 10 15 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Perfect as is:  The Odd Couple -- no need to remake, or make a sequel, or..
     Oh -- Nevermind.

Well, then, perfect as is:  The 12 Monkeys --
     Oh -- Nevermind.

Jan 10 15 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Kurosawa that raging egotist. He thought he could do better than Shakespeare. All he could come up with was that piece of tripe Ran.

And de Palma, that hack. What made him think he could do better with his version of Scarface?

The magnificent seven? Pfft. What hubris to remake Kurosawa.

Same goes for a fistful of dollars (though they didn't have the rights to do so and were successfully sued because of it)

Oh. Let's not forget cronenberg's terrible remake of the fly. Such tripe.

Jan 10 15 09:38 am Link

Photographer

GK photo

Laguna Beach, California, US

"call me ferdinand."

Jan 10 15 12:21 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Koryn wrote:

I never watched the American version. The Swedish movie was awesome. My boyfriend at the time was really into Swedish everything so he kind of made me watch it and I'm glad he did.

The American version of the Office is fucking hysterical. Totally totally disagree.

I watch a LOT of eclectic movies that make people uncomfortable because I appreciate the director's work and it is usually about something that is a good idea to put yourself in someone else's shoes. The movie Funny Games is by an Austrian director Michael Heneke. I adore all of his work. All of it. They are all subtitled because they are Austrian actors in Austria. Naomi Watts saw it and wanted him to make an American version. I didn't see the Austrian version but basically it is frame by frame the original movie just with American actors in English. It's a brilliant film that will scar you.

Jan 10 15 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

John Photography wrote:
Isn't the "Looker gun" the same thing as they use in MIB to make people forget stuff?

The "flashy thing" in MIB was held like a ball point pen.  The looker gun was shaped like a timing light.  THEY ARE CLEARLY DIFFERENT DEVICES.

Jan 10 15 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Matt Blais Photography wrote:
I would like to see someone try to capture the Carlos Castenada book "The Teachings of Don Juan"
Maybe Peter Jackson could do it justice as well as the two follow up books

Thats a very interesting idea

Jan 10 15 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

Koryn wrote:

Cecel B. Demented has a section dedicated to this idea.  The scene in which studio executives are told they must continue to shuck and eat oysters or they will be shot and killed.  A truly great move I should have remembered earlier.

Jan 10 15 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Schlake wrote:
The "flashy thing" in MIB was held like a ball point pen.  The looker gun was shaped like a timing light.  THEY ARE CLEARLY DIFFERENT DEVICES.

>>>>>  Tangent Alert  >>>>>
For a long time, I've had in my head a TV sitcom where there was a show within a show -- the main characters play one character in the show and another in "real life", and the characters would be radically different.  Like the stereotypical "dumb blonde" playing the super-scientist in the show within the show.

Meanwhile, the executive producer of the show within the show was under pressure from the network -- the network wants to cancel the show, but the show is too popular to cancel, so the network slashes the show's budget.  Meanwhile, the executive producer secretly has a nervous breakdown. 

The show within the show is a sci-fi Star Trek-like show, and rather than fire people, the producer slashes the budget for props & sets.  So, for example, the tri-corder is a stapler, the ray gun is a label maker, the alien's helmet is a stainless steel bowl, and so forth. 

If I was a better writer, it would be hilarious.
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Jan 10 15 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Schlake

Socorro, New Mexico, US

The show within the show is a sci-fi Star Trek-like show, and rather than fire people, the producer slashes the budget for props & sets.  So, for example, the tri-corder is a stapler, the ray gun is a label maker, the alien's helmet is a stainless steel bowl, and so forth. 

If I was a better writer, it would be hilarious.
>>>>>  End Tangent  >>>>>

Part of the reason British television, sci fi in particular, works so well despite it's low budget is the never-say-die full-steam-ahead attitude.

For example, the Daleks.  For decades they were the most feared TV monster in the entire universe (though recently the weeping angels have edged them out).  For decades the most feared TV monster in the entire universe was an upside down garbage can equipped with a bathroom plunger and covered in ping pong balls.  And they are still pretty scary.

The Prisoner spent a lot of money trying to make the high tech police robot for the island.  It didn't work.  So they used a weather balloon instead.  That weather balloon is still scary, and still very iconic.  I believe it was even on The Simpson's once, wasn't it?

Jan 10 15 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

Leave the original Smokey & The Bandit alone. Remake the sequels so that just *maybe* they'll be interesting movies.

Jan 10 15 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

it takes a visionary to redo/adapt a story (film) and make it better. watch "12 monkeys" sometime, then go watch the short it was adapted from. two totally divergent ideas.

Jan 10 15 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Shot By Adam wrote:

Yeah, I agree with this too. The remake of La Femme Nikita was lame as was the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Oh you mean that movie with Bridget Fonda........ Yeah not so hot that .

Jan 10 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

oops double post

Jan 10 15 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

GK photo

Shot By Adam wrote:

John Photography wrote:

the tv show was even worse...but the chick was the hottest nikita of them all. smile the besson flick was great.

Jan 10 15 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

"Hey, Stop Stabbing Me!" is perfect as it is. It may be a low-budget indie film, but it's hilarious, and it's obvious that the cast and crew had fun with it.

Jan 11 15 12:39 am Link

Photographer

alessandro2009

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Name a movie, book, or TV show and suggest whether it needs to be remade, it needs to have a sequel, or it is perfect as is.

Star Trek, returning to its roots, about space exploration.
Jurassic Park, without the Park thing, somethink like a widespread of dino and the upheaval in everyday life with a realistic scenario.
However, for what it's worth, I think that most of the ideas on the movies, in the next series, often are watered down, for lack of immagination or simply for easy business.

Note:
I speak about series, don't a single movie that no matter how good is made, remain too shoort for a proper development of the story.

Jan 11 15 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Cinema Photography

Boulder, Colorado, US

Eugenya Donald Images wrote:
"Casablanca".  Every time I read that some movie producer or actor wants to remake that (perfect) movie, it really pisses me off.  I think they're a bunch of egotistical idiots to think that they could improve "Casablanca".  Sean Penn is guilty of this, among others.

I agree, that said tho:

Harrison Ford as Rick
Marion Cotillard as Ilsa
Jean Dujardin as Lazlo
Kevin Spacy as Renault
Christoph Waltz as Strasser
Steve Buscemi as Ugarte
Morgan Freeman as Sam
/

That might be worth doing with a cast like that

Jan 11 15 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

The BBC series "Fawlty Towers" is about perfect - I have NEVER seen my father laugh that hard, as when he watched "Basil the rat"

"Escape from New York" is perfect as it is - and then they tried to go to the well a second time and made the "LA" version it was a swimming crapfest

"Looker" could be pretty much be seen as a documentary now.......

I'd be interested in seeing if somebody could re-visit the movie "10" - the original is fine - but, it looks SOoooo dated -  and the camera work and exterior shots look like 1970's "TV movie of the week" quality.

Jan 11 15 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

cinema photography wrote:
I agree, that said tho:

Harrison Ford as Rick
Marion Cotillard as Ilsa
Jean Dujardin as Lazlo
Kevin Spacy as Renault
Christoph Waltz as Strasser
Steve Buscemi as Ugarte
Morgan Freeman as Sam
/

That might be worth doing with a cast like that

Some good choices there, but Harrison Ford is too old now.  Perhaps when he was younger...

Morgan Freeman is too famous for that role, in my opinion. 

I have a crush on Cristoph Waltz, so maybe I would even watch it if he was in it!

Jan 11 15 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Shot By Adam wrote:

John Photography wrote:

I think the Bridget Fonda movie was "Kiss of the Dragon".  It was a "meh" movie.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was with Rooney Mara & Daniel Craig in its American version.  I thought it was pretty good, but they made some radical changes from the book (mostly, I guess, to shorten the run time to something manageable).  I liked the book version a lot better.

There was a Swedish version of all three books in the trilogy -- it was pretty good, but on a par with the American version.  I thought the American version definitely had better photography.

But I much prefer the book to any of the film versions.

Jan 11 15 09:35 am Link

Photographer

GeM Photographic

Racine, Wisconsin, US

There needs to be a sequel to "Serenity" since there is still more story to tell

(and Joss Whedon hasn't fully channeled his inner George RR Martin on the cast yet)

Jan 11 15 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

John Photography

Shot By Adam wrote:

I think the Bridget Fonda movie was "Kiss of the Dragon".  It was a "meh" movie.

No I thought he meant the Bridget Fonda version of La Femme Nikita.

I liked the TV series with Peta Wilson....

I liked the WB series with Maggie Q  even more.

Jan 11 15 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Dune needs to be remade. The movie just didn't do it justice. It didn't help that a cheesy Flash Gordon film came out at the same time and used the same soundtrack.

I'll say it. Star Wars episodes 1-3 need to be remade. Without Jar-Jar.

Airplane and Police Squad -- perfect as is. Cannot remake them without Leslie Nealson anyway.

Jan 12 15 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Caradoc

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

John Photography wrote:
No I thought he meant the Bridget Fonda version of La Femme Nikita.

"Point of No Return" is the Bridget Fonda version of Besson's "Nikita."

Jan 12 15 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

It's been a long while since we had a version of Star Trek on TV.  I'm ready.

Jan 12 15 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Amadea T wrote:
A Streetcar Named Desire.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

STELLAaaaaAAaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

I mean who would you even put in the cast?
Anyone relevant is either ancient or dead.

The Brando character (I forget the name) actually got away with the rape in the theater version. Hollywood forced Williams to change it for the movie version because the (then) audience wouldn't "buy it". Or more accurately, there had to be consequences.

Jan 12 15 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

It's been a long while since we had a version of Star Trek on TV.  I'm ready.

Reboot "Enterprise".  The voyages of the first starship Enterprise were fun.   Only this time, leave out the Temporal Cold War plotline which ran the series into the ground.  Time travel stories can be fun, but with lazy television writers involved it usually results in a big steaming mess:  Heroes.

Jan 12 15 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Well, then, perfect as is:  The 12 Monkeys --
     Oh -- Nevermind.

"12 Monkeys" was a remake of "Le Jetee," which was pretty damned cool in its own right.

Jan 12 15 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I'd love to see a remake of "Journey to the Center of the Earth," done absolutely faithful to the Verne book. No dinosaurs. No Atlantis. No evil arch-enemy.

Jan 12 15 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
"12 Monkeys" was a remake of "Le Jetee," which was pretty damned cool in its own right.

So true. To anyone who hasn't seen La Jetée, do yourself a favor and treat your peepers to this awesome film.

It will also be a treat (or maybe a threat) to your earholes (warning: this linked video essay on the soundtrack of La Jetée contains major spoilers).

Jan 12 15 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

DEP E510

Miramar, Florida, US

12 Angry Men- perfect as is

To Inherit The Wind- perfect as is

To Kill a Mockingbird- perfect as Is

Moby Dick- perfect as is, but wouldn't mind a 3-d cgi heavy remake

Jan 12 15 05:49 pm Link