Forums > General Industry > Crappy Photographers

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Lamonica wrote:

This bring to mind the old adage, those in glass houses....

I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY!!!!

Nov 27 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Class Act Photography

STUDIO CITY, California, US

This thread actually hurt me emotionally.

Nov 28 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Class Act Photography wrote:
This thread actually hurt me emotionally.

Why?

Nov 28 06 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

NC17 wrote:
00siris, _Alexandra, and Experimental Photoworks said it best. Politely explaining that you are not seeking their current look/style at this time is the nicest thing you can do. It is the truth after all, isn't it?

Believe me, I have encountered many of those types of photographers, however, its also good to remember that for some of them their work actually sells to certain markets. Yes, it sucks because its about as far from artistic and original as it can get, however they actually have a market and are able to put (some sort) of bread on their table with it. So "sucks" is personal interpretation at best.

I feel you on those sorts of situations. They're awkward and uncomfortable to deal with. Being gracious is the best route, always.

Depends on the motivation of the llama. 

Some llamas don't care about quality photography or would even recognize it or be able to differentiate good from crappy.  As long as you are paying their 'rates' you can shoot with a $50k rig in a fully-equipped studio or an Instamatic in a hotel room: it's all the same to them (and their ports generally illustrate this).

Nov 28 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Tony Sharp Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

LarryB wrote:

LucisPtera wrote:
but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

When people write me to tell me I suck, they usually suggest I take a basic photography course or assist a "good" photographer.

Or, you give him a list of "rates".

Most models I talk to just flat out tell me I suck and not to ever write to 'em again.  Some people don't mind burning bridges!

Who in the hell would tell you that you suck?! Your work is fantastic!

Curt Burgess wrote:

Really?  I would think a customers opinion might be important. I guess not!  wink

As long as its a constructive opinion. If its just an insult with no advice, what's the point? Anyone with a mouth and 5-year-old's vocabulary can do that.

Nov 28 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Funny how it's okay for mediocre models to complain about crappy photographers but it's an ungodly sin for good photographers to talk shit about crappy models.. Stop trying to get free fuck'n shoots from the best photographers and pay a good photographer to shoot you then maybe your stock will raise...

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem..

I think I love you.

Nov 28 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
"I'm sorry but I'm not looking for your style of work in my current portfolio"

One of the best ways to say it that I have ever seen.

Nov 28 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Chris H

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Funny how it's okay for mediocre models to complain about crappy photographers but it's an ungodly sin for good photographers to talk shit about crappy models.. Stop trying to get free fuck'n shoots from the best photographers and pay a good photographer to shoot you then maybe your stock will raise...

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem..

agreed !

Nov 28 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Kelvin Hammond

Billings, Montana, US

Josh Separzadeh wrote:
Tell them you're dead

heh. Good one!

(beep) "Lucis can't come to the phone right now because she's dead. Please leave your name, number, and a brief message after the beep." (beep)

or...

(beep) "Lucis can't come to the phone right now because you are dead to her. Good day, sir."

Nov 28 06 11:17 am Link