Forums > General Industry > Crappy Photographers

Model

LucisPtera

Austin, Texas, US

Okay.  I'm well chastised.  Sorry I asked.  Thanks to those of you who gave me answers.

I did a search on this, and didn't find a thread, so maybe I used the wrong words.  Let me know if there are already threads.

I've been noticed by a photographer recently who really wanted to work with me...and this person's stuff SUCKED.  I know I can say "I'm not interested at this time" or something like that...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

Nov 26 06 08:07 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

LucisPtera wrote:
I did a search on this, and didn't find a thread, so maybe I used the wrong words.  Let me know if there are already threads.

I've been noticed by a photographer recently who really wanted to work with me...and their stuff SUCKED.  I know I can say "I'm not interested at this time" or something like that...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

This bring to mind the old adage, those in glass houses....

Nov 26 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

NCISTUDIOS

Ripon, California, US

oopsssss

Nov 26 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

NCISTUDIOS

Ripon, California, US

Your booked for the next few weeks/months, You appreciate the interest ans will keep in touch.

You will let the Photographer know when you become available......which  sounds like never:-)

But I would not turn down an op to improve your port.

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Lamonica wrote:

This bring to mind the old adage, those in glass houses....

Ya know Lamonica, I was thinking the same thing but not wanting to say it.

Model

LucisPtera

Austin, Texas, US

Thanks for the responses.

And I know, the those who live in glass houses bit.  Which is one reason I considered not posting this.  But I wanted to know, and I would hope that those who feel the same towards me would find a polite way to say "you need work" as well.

Nov 26 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

LucisPtera wrote:

I've been noticed by a photographer recently who really wanted to work with me...and their stuff SUCKED.  I know I can say "I'm not interested at this time" or something like that...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

'A' photographer or several?  "Their' worked sucked or 'his' work sucked?  smile  Had to say it since you are a teacher. 

The other replies are sufficient I would think.  You will note his interest and keep his email and will get in touch when/if you have time.

Nov 26 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

It doesn't matter what you tell photographers they are people too.
Some will take it with grace and some will send you nasty emails back.
Just be polite and to the point.
"I'm sorry but I'm not looking for your style of work in my current portfolio"

And remember todays newbie could be tomorows superstar. don't burn bridges.

Nov 26 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

LucisPtera

Austin, Texas, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
'A' photographer or several?  "Their' worked sucked or 'his' work sucked?  smile  Had to say it since you are a teacher.

wink  Fixed it.

Photographer

Digital Focus

Glendale, Arizona, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

Ya know Lamonica, I was thinking the same thing but not wanting to say it.

So true, on so many levels.

Model

LucisPtera

Austin, Texas, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
And remember todays newbie could be tomorows superstar. don't burn bridges.

That's exactly why I was looking for a nice way to say it.

Nov 26 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

PPRO Analyst

Chicago, Illinois, US

LucisPtera wrote:

I'm not going to the "Glass House."  All I have to say for ALL parties involved, is that is that if the person creating the image is happy with it, that's all that matters. 

I've had people tell me "not to quit my day job" and I've sold prints for $500 a copy.  Guess what?  I like the photos I produce and that's all that matters to me.

peace...

Nov 26 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Why do you feel the need to educate people about their mediocrity? Do you go up to strangers on the street and say, "Jeez, that's an ugly look -- hope you're not planning to have sex with anybody soon?"

Just politely decline and let it go. Besides -- you never know -- you wouldn't believe the horrible unkind things that have been said about artists who go on to become one of "the greats."

LucisPtera wrote:

I've been noticed by a photographer recently who really wanted to work with me...and this person's stuff SUCKED.  I know I can say "I'm not interested at this time" or something like that...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

Nov 26 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

LucisPtera wrote:
I know I can say "I'm not interested at this time" or something like that...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

That's not your business, really. If they're happy doing what they're doing, or even if they aren't - either they'll improve or reality will catch up with them or they'll just keep on doing what they're doing. Your responsibility for their art begins and ends with your deciding whether or not to pose with them.

Now, you can approach that in a couple of different ways, ranging from the
"Thank you but I am not interested."
to
"I don't really like your work very much, so I'd rather not."

mjr.

Nov 26 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

"Thank you for contacting me, currenlty your (style of photographic work) (project)is not what I'm looking for in my portfolio, feel free to contact me if you have any diffrent projects in the future."

oh I missed the day job part... nope non of your buisness, sorry you have no clue what they will be shooting next year.
besides it may just be a fun hobby or the may honsetly be shooting low end shlock because it is fast easy to produce and sells well.

Nov 26 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

LucisPtera wrote:
but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

When people write me to tell me I suck, they usually suggest I take a basic photography course or assist a "good" photographer.

Or, you give him a list of "rates".

Most models I talk to just flat out tell me I suck and not to ever write to 'em again.  Some people don't mind burning bridges!

Nov 26 06 08:22 pm Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

I don't think it's fair to criticize the photographer's portfolio, unless you expect someone/anyone to criticize yours as well.

As for a nice way to say "no, thanks" there isn't really a nice way, because no is no.  You can tell him you're busy, say you're not interested/it doesn't fit your portfolio, or do the typical no reply (which I don't recommend).  Just tell him, "Thank you for your interest, but I'm not interested in shooting at the moment."

Nov 26 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

Josh Separzadeh

Venice, California, US

Tell them you're dead

Nov 26 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Often photographers get better over time.  I would not burn any bridges but tell him at this time you are not interested.

Nov 26 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The photographer that took this picture is rather proud to be a 'crappy photographer':

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 … 8629wtqvcF

Nov 26 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Wow!

Nov 26 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Just because YOU think one person's photography sucked doesn't mean everyone thinks so. So you can just say you're not interested.
Everyone has different visions, different styles. Who are you to say someones work is shit or better yet that they should quit? People should NEVER quit if it's something they love.
Besides everyone starts somewhere.
What one person views as a masterpiece another may view it as a work of crap.

Nov 26 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

LucisPtera wrote:

yeah -

"I'm sorry but although your portfolio is nice, it's not the direction that I'm going. All the best'

Nov 26 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

Stop stalking me you pervert!  That's what models tell me smile

Nov 26 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

LucisPtera wrote:
...but is there a way to nicely tell someone that they need to not quit their day job?

::sigh::

Saying that I have a problem with that statement would in no way convey the vehement displeasure I felt upon reading it...

First things first: this in not dating.  You are under no obligation to let someone down easy or spare their feelings.  This is not to say you should feel pressed to say something tactless or crass in regards to what you think of their work.  Unless the photographer asks you for your opinion on his/her work... keep that shit to yourself. 

Really. 

All the photographer really wants to know is whether you are interested in working with him/her or not.  So simply say "Actually, this isn't a project I'm interested in" and be done with it.

As to your quoted question... let's put the shoe on the other foot.  Say  -hypothetically, of course-  that I would like to tell you (very nicely) not to quit your dayjob.  How would you suggest I do that?  In a way that doesn't smack of obnoxious self-righteousness, that is. 

But before you answer that, do you really care what I think beyond my interest in working with you?  Honestly.  With that answer in mind, what you think about a photographer's work is relevant only insofar as it affects your desire to work with that person. 

Again, beyond that, a photographer really doesn't want to know your opinion on it.

Well, at least this one wouldn't be interested...

Nov 26 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

some photogs wear many hats:

job hat

mr. mom hat smile

Part-time job hat

and are wanting to build their port

if he/she pays you... well, that's just fine & dandy...do it!

if it's tfp/cd... say 'no thanks'

Nov 26 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
. . .

What Jay say.

Nov 26 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Good topic here. Diplomatically truthful? Or creatively deceitful?

Some people (like me) don't take likely to hints. I'd rather hear "no thank you" or "respectfully decline" than some lame sounding excuses.

Nov 26 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

::sigh::

Saying that I have a problem with that statement would in no way convey the vehement displeasure I felt upon reading it...

First things first: this in not dating.  You are under no obligation to let someone down easy or spare their feelings.  This is not to say you should feel pressed to say something tactless or crass in regards to what you think of their work.  Unless the photographer asks you for your opinion on his/her work... keep that shit to yourself. 

Really. 

All the photographer really wants to know is whether you are interested in working with him/her or not.  So simply say "Actually, this isn't a project I'm interested in" and be done with it.

As to your quoted question... let's put the shoe on the other foot.  Say  -hypothetically, of course-  that I would like to tell you (very nicely) not to quit your dayjob.  How would you suggest I do that?  In a way that doesn't smack of obnoxious self-righteousness, that is. 

But before you answer that, do you really care what I think beyond my interest in working with you?  Honestly.  With that answer in mind, what you think about a photographer's work is relevant only insofar as it affects your desire to work with that person. 

Again, beyond that, a photographer really doesn't want to know your opinion on it.

Well, at least this one wouldn't be interested...

Somebody get Jay a Tums..please..

Nov 26 06 09:39 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

00siris, _Alexandra, and Experimental Photoworks said it best. Politely explaining that you are not seeking their current look/style at this time is the nicest thing you can do. It is the truth after all, isn't it?

Believe me, I have encountered many of those types of photographers, however, its also good to remember that for some of them their work actually sells to certain markets. Yes, it sucks because its about as far from artistic and original as it can get, however they actually have a market and are able to put (some sort) of bread on their table with it. So "sucks" is personal interpretation at best.

I feel you on those sorts of situations. They're awkward and uncomfortable to deal with. Being gracious is the best route, always.

Nov 26 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

TSSDAVIS

Davis, California, US

I'm a little amazed as to how shallow this thread is. Seems like to me, its more of an attempt to call attention to your portfolio then ask a legitimate question. Anyone with a general understanding of politeness (ie anyone with common sense) should know how easy it is to say "No thank you".

TooCoolQueeniee wrote:
Just because YOU think one person's photography sucked doesn't mean everyone thinks so. So you can just say you're not interested.
Everyone has different visions, different styles. Who are you to say someones work is shit or better yet that they should quit? People should NEVER quit if it's something they love.
Besides everyone starts somewhere.
What one person views as a masterpiece another may view it as a work of crap.

Word

Nov 26 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

softlight122

Poughkeepsie, New York, US

Ummm

Nov 26 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
The photographer that took this picture is rather proud to be a 'crappy photographer':

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/29 … 8629wtqvcF

that's too funny!

my thought on this thread is that the world would be a better place if people were nicer to each other.  and i do think that was the intent of the o.p.

i think the best approach is simply to say, 'thanks but i am not interested at this time' or 'thanks but i am committed to other projects/work obligations/military duty/etc. at this time'

this leaves open the chance to write him back if he becomes the next ansel adams.

Nov 26 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

I generally call it like I see it.
If someone's work isn't what I need for my portfolio, I say so.  No need to elaborate at that point.

If it's not a paying job and it won't add to your book, just politely decline.  They'll get it.

Nov 27 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

throw them a rate and most likely they will never bother you.

win/win situation.

Nov 27 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

One must remember, One persons 'crap' is another persons 'art'. If someone approaches you to shoot there's absolutely no reason to be snarky or rude or vicious, just say 'Thank you but I'm not looking for that particular style right now." Anything else may serve only to induce the photographer to give up on his/her dreams and who amongst us has the right to squash another persons dreams?

Nov 27 06 05:16 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

PPRO Analyst wrote:
.... if the person creating the image is happy with it, that's all that matters.

Really?  I would think a customers opinion might be important. I guess not!  wink

Nov 27 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Funny how it's okay for mediocre models to complain about crappy photographers but it's an ungodly sin for good photographers to talk shit about crappy models.. Stop trying to get free fuck'n shoots from the best photographers and pay a good photographer to shoot you then maybe your stock will raise...

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem..

Nov 27 06 08:53 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

LucisPtera wrote:
... I would hope that those who feel the same towards me would find a polite way to say "you need work" as well.

But this is basically your original question. Guess this came full circle in a hurry. There's nothing I can tell you that others haven't.

So let me just list my favorite three responses!

LarryB wrote:
Most models I talk to just flat out tell me I suck and not to ever write to 'em again.  Some people don't mind burning bridges!

https://photoworks.ws/images/icons/icon_rofl.gif

Josh Separzadeh wrote:
Tell them you're dead

https://photoworks.ws/images/icons/laughingOFFchair18-1.gif

Captured Live wrote:
Stop stalking me you pervert!  That's what models tell me smile

Frankly, unless your main interest is to draw negative attention to yourself, I would ask the MODS to terminate this thread.

Nov 27 06 09:01 am Link

Model

Washington, District of Columbia, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Funny how it's okay for mediocre models to complain about crappy photographers but it's an ungodly sin for good photographers to talk shit about crappy models.. Stop trying to get free fuck'n shoots from the best photographers and pay a good photographer to shoot you then maybe your stock will raise...

Now back to our regularly scheduled mayhem..

Ouch! lol

Nov 27 06 09:03 am Link