Forums > General Industry > America's Top Model

Photographer

- null -

Never saw one second of that show until tonight.

All I can say is ...

WOW! Thank goodness I am a hobbyist and have no desire whatsoever to be a professional photographer! If THOSE are even a pale refelction of the kind of nimrods that populate the "real" fashion world ... Bwah, ha, ha, ha! What LOSERS!

Oh, please tell me that is all fake and made up for television. The judges are a bunch of jokes and parodies and stereotypes of the fashion industry; Hilarious gay bois and in-the-closet metrosexuals and some stuck-up withered hag? The models themselves are vapid and annoying. And Tyra? Holy crap. Her "wisdom and sensitivity speeches" are the WORST acting and load of horsedung I've seen in ages.

I had no idea what that show was like! I feel so out-of-the-loop and behind-the-times. Who knew it was a comedy?

People actually watch this manure?

Damn, that was funny.

Nov 26 06 04:10 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

E|||B wrote:

All I can say is ...

WOW! Thank goodness I am a hobbyist and have no desire whatsoever to be a professional photographer! If THOSE are even a pale refelction of the kind of nimrods that populate the "real" fashion world ... Bwah, ha, ha, ha! What LOSERS!

Oh, please tell me that is all fake and made up for television. The judges are a bunch of jokes and parodies and stereotypes of the fashion industry; Hilarious gay bois and in-the-closet metrosexuals and some stuck-up withered hag? The models themselves are vapid and annoying. And Tyra? Holy crap. Her "wisdom and sensitivity speeches" are the WORST acting and load of horsedung I've seen in ages.

I had no idea what that show was like! I feel so out-of-the-loop and behind-the-times. Who knew it was a comedy?

Damn, that was funny.

Did you just call Twiggy a hag?

And Mr. Jay is sooo not in the closet.

Nov 26 06 04:13 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Lamonica wrote:
Did you just call Twiggy a hag?

And Mr. Jay is sooo not in the closet.

Read again. I said gay bois AND in-the-cloest metrosexuals. I dunno who the hell "Mr. Jay" is because I never saw the lame show before.

Twiggy? Nooooooo. Say it isn't so! That scary-looking old lady is the gorgeous and infamous Twiggy!? Ugh. That's tragic, man. Freakin' tragic. There's no excuse for that. Look at Dyan Cannon! She's OLDER than Twiggy and STILL smokin' hot.

Nov 26 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

E|||B wrote:

ROTFLMAO....... Not only do they watch it but they BELIEVE IT!!!! It's UN-reality TV at it's very worst.

Studio36

Nov 26 06 04:23 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

E|||B wrote:

Read again. I said gay bois AND in-the-cloest metrosexuals. I dunno who the hell "Mr. Jay" is because I never saw the lame show before.

Twiggy? Nooooooo. Say it isn't so! That scary-looking old lady is the gorgeous and infamous Twiggy!? Ugh. That's tragic, man. Freakin' tragic. There's no excuse for that. Look at Dyan Cannon! She's OLDER than Twiggy and STILL smokin' hot.

Who's the in the closest metrosexual? Nigel Barker? He's not metro, just British...hehe wink

Nov 26 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

anyone else wonder why the bull was in the ring when in the final photos they photshopped him in somewhere else? Why did he need to be in there with them? Just to make the chance of someone being really hurt that much more?

Nov 26 06 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

to see if the models are up to taking chances and show that they are prepared to do ANYTHING for a good shot.

And the shows are worth watching : especially when you are into editorial high fashion-photography.

but for each his/her own

Nov 26 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Damn you, Eric.. I know you're the devil, but you will NOT make me watch!

Nov 26 06 11:13 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

E|||B wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Twiggy is gorgeous! She has aged so beautifully. She hasn't gone the route of "I always have to look perfect so I'm going to get surgery on everything that starts to slip."

Nov 26 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Yes, people actually watch that manure.

And yes, it's definitely made up. They recently fired all their writers after the Writers Guild joined ANTM writers on the picket line.

Now their writers are called editors or segment producers, or some such, but they're still making that crap up.

Nov 26 06 12:31 pm Link

Model

Nitasha

Forest Park, Illinois, US

i actually love that show. - its like watching the real world to me ha- but..
i do watch it to get tips- like on posing and just to hear what the judges have to say. ya- alot of it might be bull- but i feel thay do give some real good tips sometimes...
am i alone here?

Nov 26 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

ELPHA

New York, New York, US

Oh.

Nov 26 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

MadRussian

New York, New York, US

Nitasha wrote:
i do watch it to get tips- like on posing and just to hear what the judges have to say. ya- alot of it might be bull- but i feel thay do give some real good tips sometimes...
am i alone here?

Tips on posing: read a book! Any book.  If you were "natural" (1 in a mil) - you'd be signed by now.

Alot? How about 100% is bull.
My ex used to watch that show.  What was the last shoot anyone here did that looked anything like theirs?!

I HOPE you are here alone. I really do!  But since it's "tv", I doubt you are.
This is NOT AT ALL like getting your cooking tips on a food channel!
It's a comedic show with a hint of GWA allure. "Any bimbo can do it, so why not me?" kind of show.

Nov 26 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Star wrote:
anyone else wonder why the bull was in the ring when in the final photos they photshopped him in somewhere else? Why did he need to be in there with them? Just to make the chance of someone being really hurt that much more?

YES!!  I was wondering the same damn thing.  I thought using the bull period was well....you know!

Nov 26 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Whew! Okay. Good. Glad to hear so many others think the show is a laughable crock of vomit too. That restores a LITTLE of my faith in the intellect of humanity.

And for those few folks who actually think the show is useful, you have all given me a good laugh. So, in my universe, you kids are at least worthy of being jesters who amuse me.

Nov 26 06 01:51 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Carmella Wint

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Tyra's speeches are the absolute worst. I don't even watch that part of the show. I usually only watch the shoots because they do some amazing make up on those girls. Other than that, that show is nothing but drama

Nov 26 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

my "Storm Reborn" was actually inspired by the first show of last season wink
(where the girls posed as and with mannequin dolls)
(ps :for more photo's with "storm" as a mannequin doll check out my website)

glad to have made you laugh E|||B smile

Nov 26 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

E|||B wrote:

All I can say is ...

Damn, that was funny.

I saw a couple episodes and yeah, it's just a stereotype of the fashion world.  They can't just have a man, he has to be a gay man.  And he can't just be a gay man, he has to be the west hollywood accented drama gay man.  And if that's not enough, they have a black man who thinks he's a woman(no, I'm talking about Tyra!!).

Nov 26 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

E|||B wrote:

omg...Dyan makes me want to vomit!! heh...no, I don't like her at all.  And seeing naked on Ally McBeal almost caused me to go blind.

Nov 26 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Dennis Veldman wrote:
to see if the models are up to taking chances and show that they are prepared to do ANYTHING for a good shot.

And the shows are worth watching : especially when you are into editorial high fashion-photography.

but for each his/her own

even though real high fashion - editorial photography is very different from what they show on antm. although the photography itself is obviously not the main forcus of the show.

i still enjoyed watching the few episodes i did though...

Nov 26 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

True, but still nice to see how it goes (and there is more to see from behind the scenes via the antm website)
The concepts they use are for me very useable because i can use these idea's and develop my own that way..
everybody does things his/her own way i guess

Nov 26 06 08:35 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I think Twiggy looks better than most of the nipped, tucked, botoxed hags in the industry.

https://www.cwtv.com/images/topmodel/twiggy-220.jpg

Nov 26 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

i love ANTM but havent watched this season's yet. been too busy watching top chef,lol.

Nov 26 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

AmberULeda

Jamestown, North Dakota, US

I've watched the last 2 seasons, the pictures turn out amazing and they always have something different. Sure they pick certain people just to make you watch and they alwayz have at least one bad-attitude person that they keep on way to long... but in the end you can learn interesting poses and see different makeup and outfits they do. Oh and you can't forget they alwayz give a little info on different people they work with.

yes it is a joke, but its fun to watch:)

Nov 26 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Dmitri Markine

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I like the show a lot. I've watched all 6 seasons of ANTM,then 2 seasons from Australian,2 from England and 1 from Germany and Canada.Germany's version was the best and Canada's was the lamest one.

The show has a lot of flaws,but it's a show and there has to be drama and all that stuff.
There's a lot that I've learned from there.

Nov 26 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

Same here Demim, havent you seen the dutch "Hollands Next Top Model"?
It was a pain to watch. the shoots didnt even come close to what they do in ANTM.
Comparing the american VS the dutch version; the dutch version can go right in the bin.

PS: @ Lamonica : that photo of Twiggy is way too edited

Nov 26 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Dennis Veldman wrote:
It was a pain to watch. the shoots didnt even come close to what they do in ANTM.
Comparing the american VS the dutch version; the dutch version can go right in the bin.

im suprised they haven't sued the shit out of hollands next top model for stealing their idea. unless of course it is by the same folks.

Nov 26 06 10:27 pm Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

E|||B wrote:

All I can say is ...

Damn, that was funny.

Haha! You never cease to amaze me! ROFlMAO

All the best,
Britt

Nov 26 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Damn you, Eric.. I know you're the devil, but you will NOT make me watch!

I watch it. I like the photo sessions part to see how professional photographers work... smile

and the girls' side-show bickering is hell funny smile

Nov 26 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

HerbP

Winter Springs, Florida, US

Star wrote:

The live bull was there to add drama to ANTM. I was told years ago that the bulls used in bullfighting in Spain were kept in pens so that they did not get exercise and were way out of shape when they faced the bullfighter. So what they did was run the bull around the ring a few times to tire him out and then place him at the other side of the bullring. Although intrigued by the models and cameraman, he would not charge that far unless some special motion caught his eye. They probably ran him around again after each model or couple of models to keep him tired out.

Nov 26 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

KoriK

Phoenix, Arizona, US

HAHA!!!! Totally Agree!

Nov 27 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Angela Sheridan

Fairfax, California, US

Nitasha wrote:
am i alone here?

Nov 27 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Nitasha wrote:
am i alone here?

Not at all. I think it's a great insight into the real modeling world. Regardless of any personal feelings, these people (Tyra, Jay, Twiggy, Nigel) have made it to the top in their fields and if nothing else, that should be respected because every 2nd person thinks they can do it and very few make it anywhere near. So, yeah, I love the show too smile

Nov 27 06 02:21 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Dennis Veldman wrote:

Well, she looks the same to me on the show. Radiant.... she is letting herself age (unlike most people in the industry) very gracefully, IMO. I think we're sooo used to seeing plastic surgery junkies, that we forget what a real woman her age is supposed to look like.

Nov 27 06 02:27 am Link

Model

Mila R

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I do and don't like the show.
It seems like the same critiques are always given out, and in my opinion, a lot of the girls I felt were doing the best didn't even make top 5. But what do I know?

Has anyone ever watched Tyra's show? I mean she's a beautiful women, but seriously, not everyone is made for hosting. She had one show on how the industry exploits young women by promising them big deals when it's just sleezy photographers trying to get nude shots. Uh DUH! lol

Nov 27 06 02:40 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Not at all. I think it's a great insight into the real modeling world.

By no means want I ridicule anybody... but this statement makes me wanna https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

After ALL the real world info we, who ACTUALLY work in this industry have given, all the flaws and mistakes we have shared with you models about that scripted television show. Hey the former owner of the largest commercial print agency in NYC, who is a member on MM (when will he lose his spirits?) even wrote to the producers of ANTM to point out the fundamental flaws in the show and they ignored him... cause the truth doesn't give them the quotas...

We have just lost a 40 years veteran of the real world fashion industry (oldguysrule) to the rampant stupidity on the fora... he simply couldn't do it anymore...

So... for all those... who rather believe that television show is still telling them the truth about the real world fashion industry... I've got a fashiontip for all of you:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/downtheroad.jpg

I can be such a cranky meanie at 4am... big_smile

Nov 27 06 02:42 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

UdoR wrote:

By no means want I ridicule anybody... but this statement makes me wanna https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

After ALL the real world info we, who ACTUALLY work in this industry have given, all the flaws and mistakes we have shared with you models about that scripted television show. Hey the former owner of the largest commercial print agency in NYC, who is a member on MM (when will he lose his spirits?) even wrote to the producers of ANTM to point out the fundamental flaws in the show and they ignored him... cause the truth doesn't give them the quotas...

We have just lost a 40 years veteran of the real world fashion industry (oldguysrule) to the rampant stupidity on the fora... he simply couldn't do it anymore...

So... for all those... who rather believe that television show is still telling them the truth about the real world fashion industry... I've got a fashiontip for all of you:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/downtheroad.jpg

I can be such a cranky meanie at 4am... big_smile

Richard was the bomb! So sad sad He made my sleepless nights far too much fun.....:haha!

Nov 27 06 02:53 am Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

I seen a few seconds of an episode of the show a few days ago. Those girls didn't look like models to me. I remember watching the first season. That was good.

Nov 27 06 03:11 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Star wrote:

LOL! I tottally agree. They did all that for the hell of making a good show. It seems they wasted more time cause they had to photo shop the bull's orignal spot out and put it somewhere else.

Isn't it funny too that all the best models are the ones that don't have to try so hard? Damn you Amanda! smile

https://www.cwtv.com/page/images/topmodel/photos/Amanda_1.jpg

Nov 27 06 03:28 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

e-string wrote:
Are you fucking kidding? Twiggy is gorgeous! She has aged so beautifully. She hasn't gone the route of "I always have to look perfect so I'm going to get surgery on everything that starts to slip."

I've never seen a former model age bad. LOL! Maybe its just special "supermodel" genes. Well minus Janice Dickinson although I love that chick she has aged miserably (mainly from all the surgery)

But Elle McPherson and the rest of them? Still stunning!

Nov 27 06 03:30 am Link