Forums > General Industry > America's Top Model

Model

rhadames julian

Dallas, Georgia, US

Being a professional model for three years and having traveled quite a bit i can say that that show is pure garbage.  I hate the way they sterotype everything about the industry. The industry is nothing like that.

Nov 27 06 03:31 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Couture Imagery wrote:
im suprised they haven't sued the shit out of hollands next top model for stealing their idea. unless of course it is by the same folks.

I believe all the other top models series from different countries all got permission from the original. I'm sure Tyra got hefty payments for them too.

Nov 27 06 03:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

jo jorgenson

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Star wrote:
anyone else wonder why the bull was in the ring when in the final photos they photshopped him in somewhere else? Why did he need to be in there with them? Just to make the chance of someone being really hurt that much more?

YES! i was wondering that too! odd.

Nov 27 06 03:41 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

For those people working in the industry on a full time basis, I'm interested to know which parts of ANTM don't represent the industry properly so I have a few questions:
1. Their varied photoshoots produce some amazing results, do you agree?
2. The girls picked for ANTM are chosen for their modeling potential as well as their entertainment value. Do you agree?
3. The lessons in each show 'i.e. acting, dancing, media training' are all important tools a professional model needs to use in her career. Agree/Disagree?
Plenty more questions but that's a starter. I'm genuinely curious because a lot of the professional photographers I work with down here don't watch the show (Australia's Next Top Model isn't the huge craze America's Next Top Model is...most likely because our 'Top Model' was some girl most people had never heard of) and I haven't heard a lot of bad feedback so this is interesting.

Nov 27 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

spot on Kelly Kooper smile

Its easy to judge these people (mister jay, tyra, miss jay, JD, NB, Twiggy)

But to achieve what they have, isnt easy.

i love watching the Tyra show she is hilarious!
(you can watch it via youtube - since i am from holland and we dont have the show on television)

Hollands next top model was hosted by Yfke Sturm.

here is a link to the resuls of the shoots :
http://www.modelmasters.nl/pages/renderpage/133

what do you think?

Nov 27 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Hollie_Anna

Derby, England, United Kingdom

It can be quite entertaining, I usually watch it if I do to laugh at the arrogance and bigheaded-ness (a new word for you) of some of the girls.

I like to take idea's from the show of shoots I think look fun, and then put my own spin on them. But alot of it is a big truck load of shit!

Lianna, the last girl to win Britains Next Top Model, Lives in the same area as me and went to school with my sister, I have only ever seen her once in a magazine, and doubt I will again. I think it's all a big build up for nothing!

I like Nigel (he's hot) and Twiggy is still stunning. Janice however looks like she's been ran over.

Nov 27 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I just watch to see the bitches go down. tongue

Nov 27 06 08:36 am Link

Model

elegantcaroline

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

Nov 27 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

I like how the "stuck up withered hag" always appears on every season, but in a different incarnation. She always insults the girls and cuts them down needlessly. I don't think I could be on that show, because I would probably tell her to shut the hell up because she looks like a Shar-pei dog that got stuck in a toaster oven.

Nov 27 06 09:16 am Link

Model

Ermine

Chicago, Illinois, US

e-string wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Twiggy is gorgeous! She has aged so beautifully. She hasn't gone the route of "I always have to look perfect so I'm going to get surgery on everything that starts to slip."

No way, Twiggy looks like a scarecrow. Anorexia is what did her in, I think.

Nov 27 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

I am sure you would Alexis.
If you made it past the selection

Nov 27 06 09:24 am Link

Model

Paz Crystal

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

dont hate lol i love that show

Nov 27 06 10:49 am Link

Model

Kelley Mantia

Naples, Florida, US

Here's the scoop on ANTM:  It's a reality show!  Those girls were not chosen for their "potential".  They were chosen because they will produce the right amount of drama to keep ANTM on the air.  I believe Tyra has good intentions but she is in it for the money as well.  There was a girl on Model Mayhem who was beautiful and very talented and they turned her down because she was "too pretty".  In other words, she wasn't a drama queen/psychopath/whiner.  I don't trust that show and other so called "reality shows".  They're trash but it is fun to watch them.

Nov 27 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I love the show. It's awesome.

And Melrose is going to win unless Eugenia learns how to open her mouth.

The show is all about reality. If you're a thin whiny biotch you get on the show. If not, then you don't.

Nov 27 06 12:15 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

MadRussian wrote:

Tips on posing: read a book! Any book.  If you were "natural" (1 in a mil) - you'd be signed by now.

Alot? How about 100% is bull.
My ex used to watch that show.  What was the last shoot anyone here did that looked anything like theirs?!

I HOPE you are here alone. I really do!  But since it's "tv", I doubt you are.
This is NOT AT ALL like getting your cooking tips on a food channel!
It's a comedic show with a hint of GWA allure. "Any bimbo can do it, so why not me?" kind of show.

wow that was kind of rude...

Nov 27 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

The ending was so annoying. Tara was talking as if each word was its own sentence. Much like Captin Kirks' speaches on star treck but at a slower rate of speed. It was painful to watch.

Nov 27 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

MadRussian wrote:
My ex used to watch that show.  What was the last shoot anyone here did that looked anything like theirs?!

I shot with a bull just last night.

Nov 27 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Alexis Silsbe wrote:
I like how the "stuck up withered hag" always appears on every season, but in a different incarnation. She always insults the girls and cuts them down needlessly. I don't think I could be on that show, because I would probably tell her to shut the hell up because she looks like a Shar-pei dog that got stuck in a toaster oven.

Mean. Snotty. Funny.

Okay. I officially like you. You can ride at the back of the bus with the cool kids.

Nov 27 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

Null0000000

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Dennis Veldman wrote:
spot on Kelly Kooper smile

Its easy to judge these people (mister jay, tyra, miss jay, JD, NB, Twiggy)

But to achieve what they have, isnt easy.

i love watching the Tyra show she is hilarious!
(you can watch it via youtube - since i am from holland and we dont have the show on television)

Hollands next top model was hosted by Yfke Sturm.

here is a link to the resuls of the shoots :
http://www.modelmasters.nl/pages/renderpage/133

what do you think?

WHOAH!!! they ALL actually look like models.  on antm i usually think maybe one will look like a real model.  or maybe everyone in holland is just hot.  or maybe i'm just saying that cause i have some dutch in me. whatev.

Nov 27 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Robin Arcuri

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

By no means want I ridicule anybody... but this statement makes me wanna https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/th_banghead.gif

After ALL the real world info we, who ACTUALLY work in this industry have given, all the flaws and mistakes we have shared with you models about that scripted television show. Hey the former owner of the largest commercial print agency in NYC, who is a member on MM (when will he lose his spirits?) even wrote to the producers of ANTM to point out the fundamental flaws in the show and they ignored him... cause the truth doesn't give them the quotas...

We have just lost a 40 years veteran of the real world fashion industry (oldguysrule) to the rampant stupidity on the fora... he simply couldn't do it anymore...

So... for all those... who rather believe that television show is still telling them the truth about the real world fashion industry... I've got a fashiontip for all of you:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/downtheroad.jpg

I can be such a cranky meanie at 4am... big_smile

Thank You!

Nov 27 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kelly Kooper wrote:
For those people working in the industry on a full time basis, I'm interested to know which parts of ANTM don't represent the industry properly so I have a few questions:

I am running out of the house right now... but I am reposting a text I wrote about a year ago... I have others with more detailed information... but that's for you... for now.

Please... think about those issues.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Thoughts about "Americas Next Top Model"
Category: Fashion, Style, Shopping

With all your enthusiasm for ANTM, please keep in mind that this show is a scripted "reality" show.

Here are a few points to think about:

There are supposedly a Million girls applying to be on that show.

Now, do you really think that those girls being picked are really the most suited ones for high fashion runway and print?

I don't think so...

Why is it, that you have some real knuckleheads making the cut, who are too short, plus size, have tremendeous mental issues etc.?

Well, because they select the models (characters) to reflect the target audience, girls who watch the show.

If they would select, and I am sure that among the Millions of applicants, there are at least a few thousand girls that have the look and height for what it takes to actually be a top model. But those are NOT the ones you see on screen.

Because, if they would chose the real model material, the show wouldn't be so interesting and so many girls wouldn't be able to identify themself with the girls on the show.

But... it's about ratings..., hence, they select characters in which the average American girl with model aspiration, but no real chance, can live a dream, for an hour, once a week... and make them switch on the television set... over and over again... for each season.

So... can you get ideas from the show... absolutely, you also get interesting info on how you work on a photoset etc., but, as long as you realize what the show is really about... enjoy it as any entertainment show.

All the best

UdoR
Runway &
Fashionphotographer

P.S.: We casted for the Couture Fashionweek a few hundred girls here in NYC.
Out of those over 300 models we saw over the course of a few weeks... we needed models that are without heels about 5'10" (the shortest girl we selected was 5'9",  the tallest 6'2") and all their dress sizes were 0-4.

We selected just over 90 models for our shows.

Each one of them,  could have been a match for ANTM,  and we saw only over 300 girls...
So,  I think it's fair to say that among a Million hopeful applicants... they should be able to pick a handfull... really top models... who actually have a great chance in the industry after the seasons are over.

Hell... each dropout... would have an immediate chance to walk the runway for any other agency or designer out there.

Nov 27 06 09:34 pm Link

Model

Hidee Kay

Austin, Texas, US

I watch the show and it's so entertaining.  Once in awhile I feel like I learn something as well.  The most important lesson is that if you really want to be a llama going on ANTM is not the way to follow your dream.

Nov 28 06 06:19 am Link

Photographer

David Gabel Photography

Skippack, Pennsylvania, US

E|||B wrote:

Mean. Snotty. Funny.

Okay. I officially like you. You can ride at the back of the bus with the cool kids.

So if I also am hateful of the show and the people on it, you'll like me too? No thanks, man.

I want to say that I'm displeased with how this thread has projected a notion of if you like the show you are a fool and ignorant. I've been looking for posts that actually prove the case with facts and not just opinion that the show is "bullshit". Some posters revealed some things but not enough to say the show's a total hoax. I found some opinions to be based in real experience in the modeling world, but they were just that, opinions. Why is the show not a real display of the industry? Explain yourself and why you think one way or the other. There is so much cynicism about the models not having potential who appear on the show. I could easily say that I've seen more stunning models here on the MM, but they were pros already. Isn't this show for the average model wannabe? Why wouldn't ANTM be a hopeful outlet for a model? Tell that to the season winners. $100,000 contract, remember? 

Please just give opinions that have no underlying bias against someone who disagrees, ok? Feel free to call it bullshit but don't allude to others who do like it to be idiots, or what ever, in your eyes. That just make it harder to post objectively for the poster and responder.

So, reader, based on your EXPERIENCE in the modeling industry, why is the show garbage? Why is it good?

Nov 28 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Heidi_K wrote:
I watch the show and it's so entertaining.  Once in awhile I feel like I learn something as well.  The most important lesson is that if you really want to be a model going on ANTM is not the way to follow your dream.

I tottaly agree! I went to the casting and although it was fun just to hang out with my good friend for the day (we were in line for 6 hours!) and I did make the first cut it was a waste of time.

At the end of the day I could of put more energy into going to an open call for an agency or something.

Nov 28 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

The show is just like any other "reality" show.  But why do so many people hate it so much???  I've always wondered that.  Also, why do so many people hate Tyra Banks so much???

Nov 28 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

e-string wrote:

Are you fucking kidding? Twiggy is gorgeous! She has aged so beautifully. She hasn't gone the route of "I always have to look perfect so I'm going to get surgery on everything that starts to slip."

...could not agree more.
Sophistocated and beautiful.

I enjoy the entertainment called America's Top Model.
I enjoy American Idol.
And
The 3X Super Bowl Champions -New England Patriots.

Enjoy...life's journey is for the fun of it all.

Nov 28 06 05:58 pm Link

Model

if_u_only_knew

Alexander, Arkansas, US

Lelah G wrote:
The show is just like any other "reality" show.  But why do so many people hate it so much???  I've always wondered that.  Also, why do so many people hate Tyra Banks so much???

i hate tyra cause she's full of sh*T. i hate those speeches she makes. SHE thinks she's Oprah but sh's so UN-genuine and non-Caring I see right through her. It's all about ratings(which I probably boost cuz i watch all the time, i can't help it it's like a train wreck u know u shouldn't look but you just GOTTA see the madness.  everything always has to be about HER. what SHE thinks what SHE would do what  HER mom was like What HER boyfriends did how SHE woudn't put up w/ this or that(by the way i'm talking about the Tyra Show and ANTM) uggh.... i just want to slap her.  and she ALWAYS inturrupts people, with more b.s of course!

Nov 29 06 12:52 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Lelah G wrote:

I love model Tyra, I just don't like the Tyra that talks.  ::shudder::

I don't hate it, but it used to be better.  Much better.  ANTM used to be the shit, like the year of Camille, but this year is so weak.  It's reality television and it does it's job so well.

Nov 29 06 01:00 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lol! I agree on the reasons posted above about Tyra. She does try the Oprah gig a little to hard and people are seeing through that.

I did like her for coming out in Black Hair magazine and admitting that she apparently wore a weave since most black celebs won't admit that. But then I find out its a wig so now I don't like her again.  https://bestsmileys.com/evil/9.gif

Nov 29 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Dennis Veldman

oeh baby let me fix my weave

Tyra Rocks

Nov 29 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

MadRussian

New York, New York, US

Alexis Silsbe wrote:

Hate to say that, but that's a personal attack that has nothing to do with her as a model!  She is there as a judge and not to pose.  So she could be in her 80s and still be a good judge.  You can't deny her experience as an ex-(ex*)-ex-model.

As far as cutting girls' egos down - it's all for the show's entertainment value.  Which, as we've covered is already marginal.  And some of 'em GWAs could use a dash of reality now and then.

Dec 02 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

MadRussian

New York, New York, US

> So... can you get ideas from the show...

I can "get ideas" from watching a water drip off the roof.  No need to get my intelligence insulted for an hour for THAT wink

Dec 02 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

- null -

ANNABELLA wrote:
lol! I agree on the reasons posted above about Tyra. She does try the Oprah gig a little to hard and people are seeing through that.

I did like her for coming out in Black Hair magazine and admitting that she apparently wore a weave since most black celebs won't admit that. But then I find out its a wig so now I don't like her again.  https://bestsmileys.com/evil/9.gif

You admit that Tyra is doing an insincere Oprah imitation ... but the REAL reason you don't like her is because she wears a wig?!

LOL

That's classic. I love it! You are SUCH a girl. wink

Dec 02 06 09:49 am Link