Forums > General Industry > Photographers who want pics before shooting

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

I've done this before, it's not a make-or-break thing, but it helps A LOT. Especially when you're doing TFP and don't have someone doing wardrobe. It's great and saves a lot of time I think. I can look at the image and tell the model to only bring two or three of those outfits, and it saves them a lot of time as well.

Nov 25 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Time consuming? It takes MAYBE 5 mintues to lay your clothes out on the bed, snap a quick picture, upload and email it.

Nov 25 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Ok! Have you ever heard of a photographer asking a model before shooting to lay outfits out on bed, and take pictures then email them? This is so they could plan how they want to shoot model. If model doesn't want to email outfits before shooting then they don't want to shoot. Why would a model take pictures of outfits before actually shooting?

1. They don't have a set date of when they want to shoot model
2.Models wardrobe could change
3. Only way you can plan how you want to shoot is if you see outfit on model
4. Model can take picture, but he don't like outfit so may want to see other outfits.
5. This is the professional way to do it (so they say)

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the outfit would look better on model then you could plan.....Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives. 

Here is what it comes down to...  if you want the best pics or potential for great images then you do it...  you talk about time ...blah blah blah!  you are willing to go for a shoot and spend time right? why not let everybody involved get prepared? and if they are willing to go through ur snapshots of clothes you have laid out to try and coordinate sets and lights and props..then can't you do that 1 little thing of sending some outfit ideas?  I think maybe you were surprised by the req. and thought it to be unusual but more surprised that you haven't gotten any support for your side...  collaborate, have fun and enjoy the process... great port by the way!

-troy

-troy

Do you think this is crazy?  What do you think?

Nov 25 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vida Studios

New York, New York, US

I dont know about all this, I just look at her portfolio, if she has what it takes and the dates are set, then thats it I see you that day with your bag and whatever you bring, i'll make the pics work. Ill tell her that look good that dont lets do it and boom is done, I dont need no pre pics unless she sending me nudes just cause she feels like being a bad girl,lol lol lol let me stop all jokes aside I work with whats infront, if she takes pics what she is going to work with that day, dont make no sence cause that day we might not want to shoot with that or the way it looked on her cheap camera or phone might not look nothing like they way it does in person or with my lighting and camera so why waist the time....Put it on and suprice me....

Nov 25 06 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

It's a lot of work preparing and setting up.
One day when your so famous, that you can walk on a set and have people wait on you hand and foot so you can just strike a pose or two and walk away with prints that will be the envy of everyone, then you can complain.

Untill then, try to realize the amount of work the photographer is putting into the project, because it's not all about you.

I have had women show up with terrible clothes that looked bad on them and had to shoot with what was there.

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

I haven't heard of it but it sounds like a great idea to me!  I hate having to just cross my fingers that a model will bring wardrobe I'm interested in.  Seeing it beforehand can make a much better shot or give the photog time to get different wardrobe or accessories/props that might match the wardrobe.

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Definitely not the best way to deal with it (coming from a fashion photographer's point of view) but I can understand what the impetus is.

Nov 25 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Definitely not the best way to deal with it (coming from a fashion photographer's point of view) but I can understand what the impetus is.

Not from that end no, but from mine of a girl contacting me & saying "I'd like some TFP or a paid shoot, 2-3 hours and X number of looks" it saves a ton of time.

Nov 25 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Not from that end no, but from mine of a girl contacting me & saying "I'd like some TFP or a paid shoot, 2-3 hours and X number of looks" it saves a ton of time.

Yeah, no real disagreement on that end.

Nov 25 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

Urheartdesires

Iona Lynn wrote:

Well if you are soooo booked up with other shoots then let the photographer know that. or shoot nekked...

You always have something smart, and ignorant to say. I can shoot nekked just so you can have something else to talk about.  Hater!

Nov 25 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
I can shoot nekked . . . .

Good solution.  And it only took 49 posts to get to it.

Or you could take the pictures he asked for.

Or you could just move on to the next photographer.

See?  All good solutions, and not one of them required making a silly post on the forum.

Nov 25 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

OK, I just looked at your port.  Why don't you just put the stickers on an envelop and mail them to him? ; )

Never asked for pictures of clothes before but I like the idea.

Nov 25 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
2.Models wardrobe could change

What are ya gonna throw away half of your clothes?

I have plans to do this for my wardrobe soon. Thanks for the reminder. Its a great idea, and really wouldn't take that long... well for most people I guess. Considering that I have a half a million clothes and shoes now.

The comment suggesting arranging with a newer photographer to do this kind of stuff is a terrific idea. Since my boyfriend is an amateur photographer I don't even have to worry about finding anybody. I think I'll go find that musin we bought for a backdrop tonight.

Nov 25 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

NC17 wrote:
What are ya gonna throw away half of your clothes?

I have plans to do this for my wardrobe soon. Thanks for the reminder. Its a great idea, and really wouldn't take that long... well for most people I guess. Considering that I have a half a million clothes and shoes now.

The comment suggesting arranging with a newer photographer to do this kind of stuff is a terrific idea. Since my boyfriend is an amateur photographer I don't even have to worry about finding anybody. I think I'll go find that musin we bought for a backdrop tonight.

That's another argument for posting outfits on Flickr.  You just delete those shots from your photostream when you ditch the clothes.

Nov 25 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
I can shoot nekked . . . .

TXPhotog wrote:
Good solution.  And it only took 49 posts to get to it.

Or you could take the pictures he asked for.

Or you could just move on to the next photographer.

See?  All good solutions, and not one of them required making a silly post on the forum.

Way too practical.  We shouldn't get this practical until we've had 100 posts.

Nov 25 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Its time consuming as model might have other shoots booked, and don't have time to take images of wardrobe, and email them.  But your right if its a hassle move on.

It's timre cosuming as a photographer to come up with lighting plans, props, ideas for the shoot and color coordinating your shots to each individual model.  If you think the 5 minutes it takes to layout some outfits on a bed and snap a picture and upload them to the photographer is too much then quit modeling....

Nov 25 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

You always have something smart, and ignorant to say. I can shoot nekked just so you can have something else to talk about.  Hater!

No actually i view her as always having something sensible to say to the smart ass, ignorant shit you consistantly post.

Nov 25 06 05:03 pm Link