Forums > General Industry > Photographers who want pics before shooting

Model

Urheartdesires

Ok! Have you ever heard of a photographer asking a model before shooting to lay outfits out on bed, and take pictures then email them? This is so they could plan how they want to shoot model. If model doesn't want to email outfits before shooting then they don't want to shoot. Why would a model take pictures of outfits before actually shooting?

1. They don't have a set date of when they want to shoot model
2.Models wardrobe could change
3. Only way you can plan how you want to shoot is if you see outfit on model
4. Model can take picture, but he don't like outfit so may want to see other outfits.
5. This is the professional way to do it (so they say)

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the outfit would look better on model then you could plan.....Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives. 

Do you think this is crazy?  What do you think?

Nov 25 06 02:51 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

well, variety being what it is, we're again reminded that everyone does in fact have his/her own way of approaching a shoot. maybe not the way many of us other photographers prepare a project, and not necessarily "right" or "wrong", ..., but certainly different.

F

Nov 25 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Ok! Have you ever heard of a photographer asking a model before shooting to lay outfits out on bed, and take pictures then email them? This is so they could plan how they want to shoot model. If model doesn't want to email outfits before shooting then they don't want to shoot. Why would a model take pictures of outfits before actually shooting?

4. Model can take picture, but he don't like outfit so may want to see other outfits.

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the out would look better on model then you could plan.....Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives. 

I've done this.  If I have a model that I have a limited window to shoot and she wants X number of looks, rather than having her bring 30 outfits and trying to winnow it down to 3-5 in our limited time I can plan out the shoot & images in advance & have her bring only what she needs.  It also makes it easier to coordinate shoes and details like nail polish.  If you only have time for 2 makeup "looks" you can show the outfits to the MUA remotely and plan them out in advance too.
With most digicams, shooting & uploading is FAST and saves lots of times on a shoot.  One model I worked with has snapshots of herself in most of the outfits she owns posted as a Flickr set so photographers can review them in advance, I think that's a GREAT idea.

Nov 25 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

JimNew

Los Angeles, California, US

I've had models do this, and it's been very helpful. There was a shoot where I was getting props and background fabrics, and I wanted to be sure they would work with the outfits. If emailing wardrobe photos isn't something you want to do, then you shouldn't do it. But don't think it's necessarily an unreasonable request.

Nov 25 06 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

either you'll do it because you want to work with the photographer,
or it's too much trouble and you move on.

i think it's probably a good idea, actually, because then the photographer could coordinate accessories, props, or even change a location based on colors, shapes, textures, and other details of the wardrobe.

Nov 25 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

I think you need to stop being lazy and you need to get some perspective.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Yes, I've heard of it... in fact it is a very good idea and a sign that your photographer is actually thinking about his/her work.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Part of the planning process to be sure, but why would s/he want to set a date if you're too lazy to take the first steps in planning and determine a theme and direction.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Well not if you take a set of photos of the wardrobe and send them to him/her... hopefully you'll still own those things the day of the shoot.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Wow... have I got a couple of thousand polaroids that say different.  Often a photo of the wardrobe on a rack or on a mannequin is the only type of preview a photographer has of what s/he is going to be shooting.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

So?

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Quite so.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the out would look better on model then you could plan.....Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives.

I *do* hope you're being sarcastic or posting this in jest...

*EDIT* Nope... you're not joking...  Ok, time for me to move on, cause I'll just get mean from here out.  You're beyond redemption.

Nov 25 06 03:00 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

Dave Wright Photo wrote:

i think it's probably a good idea, actually, because then the photographer could coordinate accessories, props, or even change a location based on colors, shapes, textures, and other details of the wardrobe.

Its time consuming as model might have other shoots booked, and don't have time to take images of wardrobe, and email them.  But your right if its a hassle move on.

Nov 25 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the out would look better on model then you could plan.....

I've never asked for pictures of outfits before but knowing the colors before hand is very helpful so you can coordinate background colors, props, etc. You wouldn't want to wear a white dress against a white background, etc...

Some photographers are limited on studio space so setting up multiable backdrops might be out of the question. I'm lucky enough to have enough space to sset up 4 to 5 backdrops but I still want to know what types of outfits your bringing.

Most of this can be done over the phone or in person. Thats why pre shoot and pre planning meetings are so important.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives.

Modeling is a job.....you get out of it just what you put into it!
It makes me laugh how many models seem to forget this.

Nov 25 06 03:03 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

James Jackson wrote:

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

I think you need to stop being lazy and you need to get some perspective.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Yes, I've heard of it... in fact it is a very good idea and a sign that your photographer is actually thinking about his/her work.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

How am I being lazy?  I have a life.
Part of the planning process to be sure, but why would s/he want to set a date if you're too lazy to take the first steps in planning and determine a theme and direction.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

My point exactly
Well not if you take a set of photos of the wardrobe and send them to him/her... hopefully you'll still own those things the day of the shoot.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Wow... have I got a couple of thousand polaroids that say different.  Often a photo of the wardrobe on a rack or on a mannequin is the only type of preview a photographer has of what s/he is going to be shooting.

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Time consuming
So?

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Quite so.

I *do* hope you're being sarcastic or posting this in jest...

Nov 25 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Its time consuming as model might have other shoots booked, and don't have time to take images of wardrobe, and email them.  But your right if its a hassle move on.

Take one day off & devote 4 hours to having a friend take quickie digital snaps of you in every outfit & combo you own.  When you buy something new, take one fast shot of it.  Post them all in Flickr.  MINIMAL investment on your part, MAXIMUM return.
It takes work to do well.

Nov 25 06 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

And I'd add that it's frustrating for a model to schedule a shoot with no concept in mind prior to the shoot ... show up and say, "Well, what do you have in mind."  At the very least, think through the shots yourself, if at the very least give the photographer some idea of the colors you'll be wearing, and at the very least be thankful he/she's thinking ahead and planning on the shot.  I usually take 1/2 hour to set up for a basic shot, assuming I have some idea of what the model will be wearing.

In return, I tell her the colors of backdrops I have and can always default to black or white, if need be, but she may have something that allows me to use one of my others.

It's all about working as a team to get the best images the two of you can in the limited amount of time you have.

Good luck, Cheers, Tim

Nov 25 06 03:06 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

Icecold Images wrote:

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the out would look better on model then you could plan.....

I've never asked for pictures of outfits before but knowing the colors before hand is very helpful so you can coordinate background colors, props, etc. You wouldn't want to wear a white dress against a white background, etc...

Some photographers are limited on studio space so setting up multiable backdrops might be out of the question. I'm lucky enough to have enough space to sset up 4 to 5 backdrops but I still want to know what types of outfits your bringing.

Most of this can be done over the phone or in person. Thats why pre shoot and pre planning meetings are so important.

Modeling is a job.....you get out of it just what you put into it!
It makes me laugh how many models seem to forget this.

Right I wouldn't have a problem with telling photographer what I will be bringing, but to take a pic of every outfit it could easily change. I can say I have dresses, gauchos, w earthtone, or vivid colors, and they should be able to at least put a eye on it.

Nov 25 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
How am I being lazy?  I have a life.
Time consuming

That is just plain lazy.

What is your "life"... what are you doing right this very moment?  Sitting at a computer and arguing with me.  What could you be doing instead?  Laying clothes out on the bed and taking photos of them.

Nov 25 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Right I wouldn't have a problem with telling photographer what I will be bringing, but to take a pic of every outfit it could easily change. I can say I have dresses, gauchos, w earthtone, or vivid colors, and they should be able to at least put a eye on it.

Many of the best photographers are such visual people that these words would be meaningless to them.

Nov 25 06 03:11 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

SLE Photography wrote:

Take one day off & devote 4 hours to having a friend take quickie digital snaps of you in every outfit & combo you own.  When you buy something new, take one fast shot of it.  Post them all in Flickr.  MINIMAL investment on your part, MAXIMUM return.
It takes work to do well.

Right it makes sense!

Nov 25 06 03:13 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

That is just plain lazy.

What is your "life"... what are you doing right this very moment?  Sitting at a computer and arguing with me.  What could you be doing instead?  Laying clothes out on the bed and taking photos of them.

Oh brother....ain't that the truth!

Nov 25 06 03:13 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

James Jackson wrote:
That is just plain lazy.

Well I'm answering email, but your right in a way.  I'm bout to get off and go to bed its 4am.  I have a little time to do tomorrow, but if person doesnt plan on shooting till jan I have plenty of time to email

Nov 25 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Icecold Images wrote:

Oh brother....ain't that the truth!

smile

Just trying to provide some perspective.

Nov 25 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

James Jackson wrote:

smile

oh I agree 100%....
and it goes back to that ol' sayin' "If I have to explain it, you just wouldn't understand"

Nov 25 06 03:17 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

James Jackson wrote:

smile

Your right.  I could be doing that.

Nov 25 06 03:18 am Link

Model

Ryoga Vee

Sunnyvale, California, US

I'm siding with the photographer on this. Its a great idea.
In fact, i have a shoot coming up, and i think i'll do this just so the photographer knows how to plan things.

Nov 25 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Too often models arrive at the estudio with inappropriate, cheap looking, unironed or even dirty clothes.  Unless you are shooting portraits or nudes, the clothes are as important to getting the right shot as the model.  Knowing what they are will help the shooting plan, the MUA will see if one look can work with 2  or more outfits and the photographer can avoid clashing backgrounds. 

In your own portfolio you have a nice pose in a great yellow dress against a brick background.  I think that the dress and you looked so hot that the photographer shot you in it anyway but didn't have the chance to pre plan a different background.

Nov 25 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Olaf Mueller Photograph

...ask yourself how a fashion stylist would prepare for a shoot. They need to see the garments in order to know how to match them with the right accessories and props to match the location and concept of the photographer.

Sometimes photographers already know from day one what they want to shoot. Therefore, we would like to see what kind of clothing is available and how it can be matched with the concept. Eventually the shooting concept may change with what is available.

Nov 25 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

I feel a model should just bring 2-3 outfits of everything they will be shooting, and go from there.  Why should you have to take a picture before shooting to plan how you want to shoot model? I'm sure the outfit would look better on model then you could plan.....Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives. 

This thread has to be absolutely absurd.  COME ON -- to think that a model actually has a life?  He He!  JK.  But seriously, if you look at all the top models out there and try to adopt their work ethics, you will see that they actually put in a lot of hard work.  Imagine, having to wake up at 4 or 5am to prepare for a photo shoot and then work all day to do it all over again the next day, also not to mention to be vibrant and energetic the entire time.  Hard work!  Therefore, if you feel that you can not devote at least an hour out of your day to complete such a thing to help get the best possible images, then perhaps you should choose a different profession or re-prioritize your goals.  Either way, if you reevaluate your time, you will realize that you are more then likely not managing your time 100% effectively.  Remember, Time Management is extremely important in anything we do.  Take care!

Nov 25 06 03:33 am Link

Model

Urheartdesires

cisstudio wrote:

This thread has to be absolutely absurd.  COME ON -- to think that a model actually has a life?  He He!  JK.  But seriously, if you look at all the top models out there and try and shape yourself towards their work ethics, you will see that they actually put in a lot of hard work.  Imagine, having to wake up at 4 or 5am to prepare for a photo shoot and then work all day to do it all over again the next day, also not to mention to be vibrant and energetic the entire time.  Hard work!  Therefore, if you feel that you can not devote at least an hour out of your day to complete such a thing to help get the best possible images, then perhaps you should choose a different profession or re-prioritize your goals.  Either way, if you reevaluate your time, you will realize that you are more then likely not managing your time 100% effectively.  Remember, Time Management is extremely important in anything we do.  Take care!

Thanks, but I never said I wasn't going to email images.  I will if I really want to shoot with photographer.

Nov 25 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

ElitePhotosPhotography

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Thanks, but I never said I wasn't going to email images.  I will if I really want to shoot with photographer.

The mere fact that you took the time to create this thread, as well as the attitude that your wording portrays, gives the impression that you were leaning towards not completing such images for the photographer.  No matter what your decision would be, that is all up to you and your priorities.  My point was you really need to see what is beneficial for you and your goals, given your time and considering your opportunity costs.  Then from there you can decide whether it is beneficial to complete the photo shoot or not.  I never indicated that you were not going to complete it but was merely commenting on the fact that although it may seem rather tedious to do, it is definitely not as time consuming as you portray.  Take care!

Nov 25 06 03:48 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

DaveW wrote:

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Its time consuming as model might have other shoots booked, and don't have time to take images of wardrobe, and email them. But your right if its a hassle move on.

Ms Quianna, pls do know that there are those among us photographers who work differently: you would be carefully sized/fitted, then simply show up for wardrobe furnished on your shoot, one which the photographer has carefully orchestrated, perhaps with the help of a stylist, eventually hair & MUA too, for completion in a timely manner.

Don't give up! Move on, sure, but don't give up!

G'luck!

F

Nov 25 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

So what is wrong with this practice?  It can only make the shoot better.

Nov 25 06 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
ever heard of a photographer asking a model before shooting to lay outfits out on bed, and take pictures then email them?

Far West Imaging wrote:
So what is wrong with this practice? It can only make the shoot better.

time is money, right? some of us will choose to manage otherwise the preparation proceedure. doesn't mean it's "right" or "wrong"; just different. a different way we use our pre-shoot time, think out our concept, direct our set. something.

F

Nov 25 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Nov 25 06 04:26 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Legacys 7 wrote:
[ deleted post verbally assaulting my response to this thread ]

I find it highly amusing that ever since I shot down your *expertise* in flash web design that you've made it a personal mission to go around trying to shoot down what I say... but that you don't seem to have the balls to stand behind it when you do.

If you have something to say, say it.  If you don't have something to say, then why even reply to her post?

Nov 25 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Its time consuming as model might have other shoots booked, and don't have time to take images of wardrobe, and email them.

If this is a TFCD shoot, please remember the time the photographer will spend scheduling, setting up, tearing down, downloading/sorting/posting/retouching photos, coordinating other models/MUAs, etc. My usual time investment is usually 2-3x the actual shoot time for TFCD. A little time invested on your part will go a long way toward *you* getting better pictures out of the shoot.

I definitely recommend that models have a complete inventory of their closet posted somewhere like Flikr. Another way to do this might be to engage the help of a beginning photographer who you might not usually shoot TFP with. Bring a few suitcases and do a very basic (commercial/catalog) pose in each outfit. You'll get better pictures (hopefully) than with your digicam, and the photographer will be able to build his portfolio with a variety of clothing styles in a single afternoon. Win, win, win.

Nov 25 06 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Frisson

I've asked models to do this, especially when they were travelling a long way and our shoot time would be limited. The pre-planning meant we didn't have to sit and discuss possible wardrobe, we just started shooting.

As mentioned above, if every model set aside an afternoon to have some photos taken in/of each item of wardrobe and upload them to photobucket then I'd be a happy bunny. It would be ME spending time viewing the wardrobe and planning ahead.

A description of the clothing is insufficient. I don't know what aqua is because I'm a guy, I know the colors of the rainbow, black, white and I prefix the colors with dark or light. If someone say Gouchos I think of the Marx Brothers LOL.

Terry

Nov 25 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Why would planning be crazy? It sounds like a photographer who is clear on what he wants to shoot. How is seeing the outfits you plan on bringing any different than a photographer wanting to see what a model looks like before agreeing to a shoot? Would you feel the same way if Vogue or the Ford Agency was asking the same thing of you?

Nov 25 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:
Plus taking pics and emailing is time consuming I mean models do have lives.

I just saw this line. Did you ever think that maybe the photographer was requesting this to be done prior to the shoot to save you BOTH some time? But, yeah, you're right, it probably is time consuming. A lot more time consuming than posting in forum threads. The time you spent on the forum could have been spent doing something productive for a shoot. But who needs that?

Nov 25 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

I generally ask the model the describe what she is going to bring and ask for some general stuff.. but the idea of the images is something worth looking into it. Great idea.. who do I send the check to?

Nov 25 06 01:31 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

urheartsdesire2 wrote:

Well if you are soooo booked up with other shoots then let the photographer know that. or shoot nekked...

Nov 25 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Cole

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I,ve asked models in the pasted to send me a pic of the outfits that they were planning to shoot in.....It helps...There is nothing wrong with doing it...

Nov 25 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

James Jackson wrote:

I find it highly amusing that ever since I shot down your *expertise* in flash web design that you've made it a personal mission to go around trying to shoot down what I say... but that you don't seem to have the balls to stand behind it when you do.

If you have something to say, say it.  If you don't have something to say, then why even reply to her post?

James, don't flatter yourself. If there is any critquing, I am able to take it. That is only in your little world that you believe this. As matter of fact that conversation that you had addressed in the past is still in your head, over a year now. Sad. Like I had said before and I'll say it again, I do recall that conversation, didn't trip off of you and there were multiple people that replied that were frank about the good and bad, because I did asked for replies. I also said that you read too deep into my reply to that. You agreed. 

My reply to you is no different than others who address your silly attitude, 'I'm mad at the world' attitude that yuou continue to post. The only reasoin that I chose to take it down is because it's not in the right place and I don't need to get knocked off of here. If it were in the Pit, than I'd keep it up. Again, don't flatter yourself. I find your post to be more amusing than anything else. Especially that one topic about 'using an Assistant for help'.

Nov 25 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

It's not uncommon to take photos of your clothing and send them via email. Although I prefer that the model show me his or her clothing in our intial meeting, it's better for me because it's right there in front me to see vs on camera. What may look good on a camera may not look good in person.

Nov 25 06 01:48 pm Link