Forums > General Industry > model got a little mad

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Costa Mesa, California, US

a model came in to my studio October a year ago 05,  and paid a $ 100 deposit on a photo shoot ,date to be agreed later.

tried her cell to fix a date for photo shoot  but her # disconnected ,

well never heard from her again until  today Nov 06, she came in and said look  I have put on two much weight , so I do not want a photo shoot ,
give me my deposit back ,

which I had no problem in doing ,it was not that big a thing ,

but she then said you have had my $100  bucks for a year so I want  interest  on it at 6% a month,

I laughed and thought she was joking , man did she got mad , she was serious,
well she left  with her $100,  told me where to put my head and that my parents  where not married and  left me with  have a nice day  then slammed the door,

just thought I would  mention  it

Nov 21 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

CarrJacked Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

WTF??? Are you serious??

Nov 21 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Sorry... I find this very amusing for some reason. Maybe I find stupid people amusing... I just don't know. She was damn lucky you gave her back the $100.00; I think most people wouldn't have.

-P-

Nov 21 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Deposits are often non refundable... she is lucky she got the 100.00 back!
Good grief...

Nov 21 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Carr Images wrote:
WTF??? Are you serious??

yes very serious  (its funny)  but she was mad

Nov 21 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

You need to clearly communicate the terms and conditions under which you take your deposit, or as I prefer to call it, retainer.

The retainer should be to reserve a specific date. You need a retainer, because presumably, other clients are coming to you to shoot on  that date, and you are turning them away because you're already booked. So she owns a particular date, whether she uses it or not.

When I book months in advance, I make the retainer refundable until six weeks before the date. I figure I can rebook the date within a six week window. But after that, it's mine, because there's not enough time to rebook the date. Within that six week window, I'm a hard-ass -- no refunds for any reason, period.

If she complains about paying a deposit under those circumstances, no problem -- she can call the night before the shoot, and if you're still available, you'll shoot her. If not, you'll tell her you're busy.

It's simple. But truthfully, I don't see any point in accepting a deposit when you can't also set a date. It's a recipe for disaster.

RDSPhill wrote:
a model came in to my studio October a year ago 05,  and paid a $ 100 deposit on a photo shoot ,date to be agreed later.

well never heard from her again until  today Nov 06, she came in and said look  I have put on two much weight , so I do not want a photo shoot ,

but she then said you have had my $100  bucks for a year so I want  interest  on it at 6% a month,

well she left  with her $100,  told me where to put my head and that my parents  where not married and  left me with  have a nice day  then slammed the door,

Nov 21 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Pat Thielen wrote:
Sorry... I find this very amusing for some reason. Maybe I find stupid people amusing... I just don't know. She was damn lucky you gave her back the $100.00; I think most people wouldn't have.

-P-

it was  amusing  after she had gone , but not at the time

Nov 21 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Tracey

Sacramento, California, US

ha that was funny people these days

Nov 21 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

haha, WTF?

You're a photographer, not a bank!  Geeeeez!

Nov 21 06 08:06 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

RDSPhill wrote:

6% a month?  w/o a contract isn't that illegal?

Nov 21 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

RDSPhill wrote:

it was  amusing  after she had gone , but not at the time

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't all that fun at the time. I just took a look at your photos; she was a complete idiot to not have you photograph her. You have some excellent work!

Just sayin'...

-P-

Nov 21 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

This story made me laugh out loud...are you for real?  :-)

Nov 21 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

hotrodmatt

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I'm amazed that after 13 months you returned the deposit. Personally I think that was a good business practice. But I would have countered the interest claim with a fee for holding the money of say 6% per month.

Nov 21 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

ModeLogic...patent it !

Nov 21 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

she canceled because she was 6% bigger per month.. seems like she made a reasonable request..

it's not like you emailed her and asked if she was keeping her weight down..

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
ModeLogic...patent it !

the people who work with modal logic will have issues with that...

Nov 21 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

6% a MONTH????? That would come to well over $200, wouldn't it???? I wonder where she thought you had kept the money? 

You are a VERY good person for giving her the deposit back.  I make it very clear that deposits are 100% NON refundable.

Glad you can laugh about it now!

Nov 21 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

6% a month?  w/o a contract isn't that illegal?

Even with a contract it might be illegal.  I dont know what the limit is, but it's against the law to charge exhorbitant interest rates, even if both parties agree.  I saw that on Judge Judy smile

Nov 21 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

I had no problem  returning her deposit of a $100  it really is not that bigger deal ,

I guess she needed the money may be for thanks giving

I thought that was it,  until she said she wanted interest as I had had the use of her money for a year,

I see we have some great answers  on here ,

I did laugh at the time but then realized she was serious ,   so I was then some what concerned

and yes I can laugh about it know , it is quiet funny

Nov 21 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

That is really weird.

Nov 21 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Don't get caught in a deposit trap.  Check your local and state ordinances.  Some have laws concerning what you can and cannot do regarding deposits, and interest on them.  Most of all have a written policy in place that does not conflict with said ordinances.

Nov 21 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

BrandiLane

Athens, Georgia, US

That is completely ridiculous...so, you are supposed to pay her 6 months interest b/c she couldn't stay in shape?!?!  That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard!  Wow! some people!

Nov 21 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Charge her studio rent for holding a day just for her.What a dumb ass.

Nov 21 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Daveion7101

Mint Hill, North Carolina, US

Did you smell her breath for alcohol? or maybe she was high?
6%???? this isnt check cashing!!! At that statement I would of changed my mind about giving her back her $100

Nov 21 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

she is breathing valuable air she does not deserve,give her to the taliban.

Nov 21 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Just Shoot Me Photograp

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Maybe she needed the extra money for a gym membership to get her fat ass back in to shape. Maybe they was running a deal on Big Mac's.

Nov 21 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Creativity Farm

Westville, New Jersey, US

6% a month?  Even if she meant 6% APR, that's above what banks are paying.  Do you offer free checking, and online services?  I want to open an account.

Nov 21 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

CarrJacked Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Just Shoot Me Photograp wrote:
Maybe she needed the extra money for a gym membership to get her fat ass back in to shape. Maybe they was running a deal on Big Mac's. [/quote

ha ha
covered both ends there

Nov 21 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Lifestyle Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

6% a month?
That's 72% a year!
She is a Loan SHARK.

Nov 21 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Daveion R Lashley wrote:
Did you smell her breath for alcohol? or maybe she was high?
6%???? this isnt check cashing!!! At that statement I would of changed my mind about giving her back her $100

I had given her $100 in cash ,  when she said this is not enough  what about interest  you had it for a year

Nov 21 06 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Ritchie

Creativity Farm wrote:
6% a month?  Even if she meant 6% APR, that's above what banks are paying.  Do you offer free checking, and online services?  I want to open an account.

just send me your money and I will see what I can do LOL

Nov 21 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

Meagan Colf

Seligman, Missouri, US

Yep I agree with the non refundable deposit! And anyway.... I think she owed YOU 6% interest!   Geesh, its models like this that give the hardworking, reliable ones a bad name!

Nov 21 06 09:47 pm Link

Model

LeB

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

LMAO...this is so funny, made my evening....

Nov 21 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

This one is really funny...

One day after she hands me the $100, she is not getting any of it back much less a year later...... lol crazy,,, just crazy

Nov 21 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

RDSPhill wrote:

well she left  with her $100,  told me where to put my head and that my parents  where not married and  left me with  have a nice day  then slammed the door

Some people are just plain crazy!
I love your work!! I'd want to shoot with you no matter how much weight i gained wink

Nov 21 06 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

RDSPhill wrote:
a model came in to my studio October a year ago 05,   ......

Bwahahahahaha! That's classic!

Shoulda bought a ham sanwich and a road map and given that to her along with her $94.86 in change.

Nov 22 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Wow.  The mental illness spread by exposure to weird ideas about modeling is getting worse.
I blame the media.

Nov 22 06 01:26 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

this girl is soooo lucky she got it back.... I can't believe she asked you for interest on it though....WOW!!!! that makes me laugh in stupidity of her...haha.... wow....first of all, I wouldn't have expected to get it back and furthermore, i really wouldnt have asked for it back.... due to it being my fault that we didnt and arent shooting.... wow...lol

Nov 22 06 01:31 am Link

Model

Chantelle Mathiasson

Carson City, Nevada, US

Chip Morton wrote:

Bwahahahahaha! That's classic!

Shoulda bought a ham sanwich and a road map and given that to her along with her $94.86 in change.

LMFAO!!!!!!

Nov 22 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

RDSPhill wrote:

Nice of you to refund the deposit.

I'm guessing you didn’t have in writing that her deposit would expire and be forfeited on a certain date?

I trust you had her sign a receipt for the refunded $100?

Nov 22 06 01:34 am Link

Model

Jus Chocolate

Yonkers, New York, US

Lmao,she's nutts

Nov 22 06 01:37 am Link