Forums > General Industry > people use their crappiest shot for their avatar.

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

I don't understand it. I know there's different opinions about what's good and what's bad, but some people have hands down the crappiest shot in their port as their avatar. Usually I end up looking at their ports only because they post so many times that I finally have to know what their work looks like.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just don't get it. Sometimes I look at their work and it's pretty good but you would never know it by their avatar. I mean sometimes I put up a new avatar that isn't my best just to show a new shot but these people keep their horrible pictures up to represent themselves permanently.

I know it's hard to hear but I feel like they should know because it seriously hurts their chances of getting work but so far no one's appreciated or heeded the advice so hopefully after this post you know who you are! and I don't have to personally tell you. Okay that's all.

Nov 21 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

little apple blossom wrote:
I know there's different opinions about what's good and what's bad...

You answered your own question.

Nov 21 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

we do?

Nov 21 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

this is going to sound rude, but it really is not meant to be. Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either. As a model I think you should have a photo that shows more of you, I could not tell what you looked like at all from your avatar. So I guess it is just personal preference

Nov 21 06 12:53 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

I don't understand it. I know there's different opinions about what's good and what's bad, but some people have hands down the crappiest shot in their port as their avatar. Usually I end up looking at their ports only because they post so many times that I finally have to know what their work looks like.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just don't get it. Sometimes I look at their work and it's pretty good but you would never know it by their avatar. I mean sometimes I put up a new avatar that isn't my best just to show a new shot but these people keep their horrible pictures up to represent themselves permanently.

I know it's hard to hear but I feel like they should know because it seriously hurts their chances of getting work but so far no one's appreciated or heeded the advice so hopefully after this post you know who you are! and I don't have to personally tell you. Okay that's all.

In whose opinion is it crappy?
You think they are crappy but maybe they do not?
Maybe they are proud and really like their image and thats why they choose to use it for their avatar.
Maybe they do think it is good.
Maybe it IS good but you have different tastes to theirs?
Personal preferance is what keeps many of us in work big_smile

Nov 21 06 12:55 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

the thing is it's usually the only bad shot in their port. the rest are good or even great and the shot they use as their avatar is just bad I mean I don't think anyone could argue these shots are good, they're really really bad.

Nov 21 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

I am not a model  by any means but I too like attention.....

That is why I use the only decent photo taken of me in the last five years as my avatar....

Nov 21 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Mine is currently the crappiest shot in my portfolio because I dyed my hair hot pink on Sunday, and my awesome ode to MySpace bathroom photograph is all I've got to show my current look.  Plus, it's hot pink.  I dig that.

Nov 21 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Frog516 wrote:
this is going to sound rude, but it really is not meant to be. Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either. As a model I think you should have a photo that shows more of you, I could not tell what you looked like at all from your avatar. So I guess it is just personal preference

This is my newest picture that's why I have it up. that's why I said I change them from time to time to show new shots not neccessarly because they're my best work. I know this isn't my best it's just new and that's all.

Nov 21 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

the thing is it's usually the only bad shot in their port. the rest are good or even great and the shot they use as their avatar is just bad I mean I don't think anyone could argue these shots are good, they're really really bad.

If THEY thought it was bad they surely wouldnt use it as their avatar.
They are using it as their avatar and obviously think its good enough or like it well enough to do so.

Nov 21 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Sirensong wrote:

If THEY thought it was bad they surely wouldnt use it as their avatar.
They are using it as their avatar and obviously think its good enough or like it well enough to do so.

That's just why it doesn't make sense to me, so do they think the rest of their port is bad?

Nov 21 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

So are you admitting that your avatar is crappy?
If this "advice" your haning out is someone you know, wouldn't it have been better to just send a private message rather than irritate others in the forums?
You really need to look at your own port before you judge others...

Nov 21 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

That's just why it doesn't make sense to me, so do they think the rest of their port is bad?

No,.they just really like the shot they are using as their avatar.
Or at that moment in time they like it enough to choose it above the others.
Or perhaps all the others in their port are rated 18 big_smile

Nov 21 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Rich Mohr wrote:

So are you admitting that your avatar is crappy?
If this "advice" your haning out is someone you know, wouldn't it have been better to just send a private message rather than irritate others in the forums?
You really need to look at your own port before you judge others...

I did, thanks.

Nov 21 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I like how you try and lump everyone into one single statement.  Sure some people don't have great avatars but its their choice, deal with it.  Some people have amazing avatars.  Is it really worth writing a post about?

Nov 21 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Frog516 wrote:
this is going to sound rude, but it really is not meant to be. Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either. As a model I think you should have a photo that shows more of you, I could not tell what you looked like at all from your avatar.

I have to agree.

The photo in little apple blossom's avatar is a good photo, but a bad choice for an avatar. In the avatar, it is so small that I get almost no idea at all what she looks like. I wouldn't even be able to tell she is a woman if it didn't say "Female" right under her name.

I think many people don't realize that your choice for an avatar on MM gets shrunk down by the system to a width of 90 pixels. (Oddly, it doesn't seem to matter how tall it is, only the width.) So in general, it is a better idea to choose a vertical rather than a horizontal image. And then pick one that looks good when shrunk down to the size of a postage stamp.

I chose my avatar photo not because I think it is my best photo (I like it, but I like lots of others too), but because it is a vertical panoramic format, and looks great shrunk down to 90 pixels wide. One of my current favorite photos, Birdman, would look terrible shrunk down to 90 pixels wide.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1176369
Same with this one:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1188877
Good photos, bad avatars.

Nov 21 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Sirensong wrote:

No,.they just really like the shot they are using as their avatar.
Or at that moment in time they like it enough to choose it above the others.
Or perhaps all the others in their port are rated 18 big_smile

I'm not going to humilate people but if I told you the people I'm talking about I'm sure you would all agree. I don't think you understand the difference I'm talking about between the rest of their port and their avatar. I mean it's day and night. The avatar usually looks like someone with no photographic skills whatsoever and a really crappy camera took it, and the port looks professional or semi professional, usually a mix of the two. The point is it's not representative of that persons port. I would think you would want to make people think your port is better than it is not worse. Maybe they want people to be delightfully suprised when they see it, if they ever come to see it.

Nov 21 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

its because we live for crappy photos.....or something like that? umm ya lol its all in opinion really like everyone else said.....that and indecision

Nov 21 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Beasley Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Maybe you did this to try and make people look at your portfolio, just maybe

Nov 21 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Gee, thanks. sad  I spent 8 hours in PS on this photo sad

lol wink

Nov 21 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Shyly wrote:
Mine is currently the crappiest shot in my portfolio because I dyed my hair hot pink on Sunday, and my awesome ode to MySpace bathroom photograph is all I've got to show my current look.  Plus, it's hot pink.  I dig that.

this I understand, same deal with mine. Some people are getting really deffensive, not you shyly, but I'm absolutely not talking about anyone who has posted. Has no one else honestly noticed this? it just frustrates me because I want others to succeed and they are hindering their own success, that's all, nothing for anyone to get upset about.

Nov 21 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia wrote:
I like how you try and lump everyone into one single statement.  Sure some people don't have great avatars but its their choice, deal with it.  Some people have amazing avatars.  Is it really worth writing a post about?

no one forced you to read it.

Nov 21 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

This is my newest picture that's why I have it up. that's why I said I change them from time to time to show new shots not neccessarly because they're my best work. I know this isn't my best it's just new and that's all.

See you came up with a reason, on why you have a crappy avatar up (not saying crappy photo) maybe everyone else has a good reason for it too

Nov 21 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Usually I end up looking at their ports only because they post so many times that I finally have to know what their work looks like.

Once again you answered your own question...it got you to look.

Nov 21 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Oh no, see it was my choice.  I chose to read it and watched how you claimed everyone had chosen the wrong photos for their avatar.  I personally like mine a lot, and there are some really good ones.  Maybe try not to be so broad brush and you'll get a better response.

Frog516 wrote:

See you came up with a reason, on why you have a crappy avatar up (not saying crappy photo) maybe everyone else has a good reason for it too

Ding ding ding

*Frog gets an invisible gold star*

Problem solved, next thread!

Nov 21 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

In the same way no one forced you to post it?
Or forced you too look at their portfolios?
Or forced you to take a closer look at their avatar?

We all make choices..some people chose to have an avatar you do not like or see as good enough when compared to their overall portfolio
THEY DO see it as good enough or else wouldnt be using it and there endeth the story pretty much.

Nov 21 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia wrote:

Oh no, see it was my choice.  I chose to read it and watched how you claimed everyone had chosen the wrong photos for their avatar.  I personally like mine a lot, and there are some really good ones.  Maybe try not to be so broad brush and you'll get a better response.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

Nov 21 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU.

Menstrual?

Nov 21 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Sirensong wrote:

We all make choices..some people chose to have an avatar you do not like or see as good enough when compared to their overall portfolio
THEY DO see it as good enough or else wouldnt be using it and there endeth the story pretty much.

I know they see it as such, duh. The point is no one else will and honestly it is about appealing to others when you want to get work. I'm just trying to help, that's all. It's the contrast between their port and their avatar that confuses me. No one has addressed that and that's what this thread is about.

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Sirensong wrote:

I know they see it as such, duh. The point is no one else will and honestly it is about appealing to others when you want to get work. I'm just trying to help, that's all. It's the contrast between their port and their avatar that confuses me. No one has addressed that and that's what this thread is about.

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Ding ding ding

*Frog gets an invisible gold star*

Problem solved, next thread!

Thank you thank you, I would like to thank all my fans, all the people who made this possible... Mom Dad, My Wife Sue, I love you. I would also like to thank God for giving me a brain to answer my own questions.

Peace

Nov 21 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

sorry double post.

Nov 21 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

So just so I'm clear, you think everyone on this site has a crappy avatar and needs to change it because you think so?  Because that's the general feeling I'm getting from you rantings.  Want me to post links to some members with amazing avatars?  Would that make you feel better?

Nov 21 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

sorry double post.

Perhaps it's a sorry thread...

Nov 21 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

Menstrual?

no, I don't thanks for asking. anyways I just wish people would read, before talking and not take everything personally. Talk about narccissism.

Nov 21 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia wrote:
So just so I'm clear, you think everyone on this site has a crappy avatar and needs to change it because you think so?  Because that's the general feeling I'm getting from you rantings.  Want me to post links to some members with amazing avatars?  Would that make you feel better?

no, why do you think I'm talking about most people, some people, that's what I said. Not you! your avatar is fine, does that make you feel better? Do you think it's crappy? why are you so insecure about it that you think this is about you?

Nov 21 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

YOUR opinion and what they have as their avatar is not going to be the universal one.
How do you KNOW no one else will, because you cant see it?
Just because YOU think its the crappiest doesnt mean it really is and just because it doesnt appeal to you doesnt mean that it wont to others.

You cant please everyone all of the time and so on.

No one else that has so far posted in this thread sees why you posted it..but you still did and I can only imagine they have a point/reason to THEM in using whatever avatar they choose.

Nov 21 06 01:28 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Sirensong wrote:

YOUR opinion and what they have as their avatar is not going to be the universal one.
How do you KNOW no one else will, because you cant see it?
Just because YOU think its the crappiest doesnt mean it really is and just because it doesnt appeal to you doesnt mean that it wont to others.

You cant please everyone all of the time and so on.

No one else that has so far posted in this thread sees why you posted it..but you still did and I can only imagine they have a point/reason to THEM in using whatever avatar they choose.

the thing is it's a shot with little views and no comments, maybe one negative one and the rest of their port will have lots of positive comments, so yes it's somewhat universal.

Nov 21 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

no, why do you think I'm talking about most people, some people, that's what I said. Not you! your avatar is fine, does that make you feel better? Do you think it's crappy? why are you so insecure about it that you think this is about you?

Nope that's all I wanted to hear because in order for me to validate myself I need others approval of what I do because I, in fact, have low self esteem big_smile

Actually I could care less about what you think about me or anyone else, but I just find it funny that you would start a thread on such a stupid topic and defend it so.  I like my avatar, my opinions on others aren't relavent and neither are yours, time to move on.

Cheers, smile

Nov 21 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

PS thank you sirensong for just responding with your own opinion without getting offended and deffensive.

Nov 21 06 01:33 pm Link