Forums > General Industry > people use their crappiest shot for their avatar.

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...we do ????

Nov 21 06 01:34 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia wrote:

Nope that's all I wanted to hear because in order for me to validate myself I need others approval of what I do because I, in fact, have low self esteem big_smile

Actually I could care less about what you think about me or anyone else, but I just find it funny that you would start a thread on such a stupid topic and defend it so.  I like mine, my opinions on others isnt relavent and neither are yours, time to move on.

Cheers, smile

It just wasn't meant to be so serious or offensive and it bothers me that people took it that way, I don't think they would have if they had read thoroughly and sought to understand what my point was. That's it:) I feel like I'm in crazy land.

Nov 21 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

little apple blossom wrote:

It just wasn't meant to be so serious or offensive and it bothers me that people took it that way, I don't think they would have if they had read thoroughly and sought to understand what my point was. That's it:) I feel like I'm in crazy land.

You are in crazy land, I am just posting because I am bored, I really have no opinion one way or the other. I am just entertaining myself

Nov 21 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Frog516 wrote:
Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either

This is my newest picture that's why I have it up. that's why I said I change them from time to time to show new shots not neccessarly because they're my best work

Photographers & models both are often counseled "Only show your best work!" and "Quality over quantity!" ... but yet, there are those who will show [less than best] just because something's new, or to have a certain number filled up in the port, etc. Again, perhaps it's the varying opinions & personal tastes that lead some to not follow those suggestions ... ?

F

Nov 21 06 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Frog516 wrote:

You are in crazy land, I am just posting because I am bored, I really have no opinion one way or the other. I am just entertaining myself

Jeez frog I'm going to run out of invisible gold stars with you, maybe I should just defer my opinions and reasoning to your posts lol

*Hands Frog another invisible gold star*

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

plus what the hell does it matter if its their worst shot, its their portfolio let them worry about it

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

blah blah blah, no one wants to respond to what I actually wrote, oh well maybe someday...smile

Nov 21 06 01:39 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

FML-Photography wrote:

Frog516 wrote:
Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either

Photographers & models both are often counseled "Only show your best work!" and "Quality over quantity!" ... but yet, there are those who will show [less than best] just because something's new, or to have a certain number filled up in the port, etc. Again, perhaps it's the varying opinions & personal tastes that lead some to not follow those suggestions ... ?

F

thank you, thank you..

Nov 21 06 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Kasmia wrote:

Jeez frog I'm going to run out of invisible gold stars with you, maybe I should just defer my opinions and reasoning to your posts lol

*Hands Frog another invisible gold star*

I am now offical opinion counsel for Kasmia, if you would like his opinion on anything please fill out these forms in triplicate and submit them to me. I will get back to you, with his opinion as soon as possible.

Nov 21 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Shyly wrote:
Mine is currently the crappiest shot in my portfolio because I dyed my hair hot pink on Sunday, and my awesome ode to MySpace bathroom photograph is all I've got to show my current look.  Plus, it's hot pink.  I dig that.

Hey, I like the pink hair shot
And the big smile!

Nov 21 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

not me

Nov 21 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

There are really only two choices here:

1. You are a lot smarter than these people, and you are seeing things in their work they just don't have the talent, artistic sense, and skills to see.

2. You are dumber than these people, and there are positive qualities to the images that you are missing out of ignorance, lack of aesthetic sense, or some other factor.

3. There is actually a third choice -- maybe it's just an honest difference of opinion. Happens all the time.

Those are the choices. Only you can figure out which one fits.

Regards,
Paul

I don't understand it. I know there's different opinions about what's good and what's bad, but some people have hands down the crappiest shot in their port as their avatar. Usually I end up looking at their ports only because they post so many times that I finally have to know what their work looks like.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just don't get it. Sometimes I look at their work and it's pretty good but you would never know it by their avatar. I mean sometimes I put up a new avatar that isn't my best just to show a new shot but these people keep their horrible pictures up to represent themselves permanently.

I know it's hard to hear but I feel like they should know because it seriously hurts their chances of getting work but so far no one's appreciated or heeded the advice so hopefully after this post you know who you are! and I don't have to personally tell you. Okay that's all.

Nov 21 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

bang bang photo wrote:
There are really only two choices here:

1. You are a lot smarter than these people, and you are seeing things in their work they just don't have the talent, artistic sense, and skills to see.

2. You are dumber than these people, and there are positive qualities to the images that you are missing out of ignorance, lack of aesthetic sense, or some other factor.

Those are the two choices. Only you can figure out which one fits.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks I think I know which one it is. It's not really either becuase if they saw the one's I'm talking about I'm positive 90% would agree with me.

Nov 21 06 01:58 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia- you posted in another forum something like: is it kind? is it true? is it neccessary? and does it improve on the silence? something like that I'm sure it's not quite right but it actually makes me feel better about this thread because it's got 3 out of 4 of those going for it, so thank you, It really does make me feel better.

Nov 21 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kasmia- you posted in another forum something like: is it kind? is it true? is it neccessary? and does it improve on the silence? something like that I'm sure it's not quite right but it actually makes me feel better about this thread because it's got 3 out of 4 of those going for it, so thank you, It really does make me feel better.

Glad I could help smile

Now if only someone else handed out invisible gold stars...

Nov 21 06 02:03 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Kasmia wrote:

Glad I could help smile

I'll get right on that.

Nov 21 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Kasmia wrote:

Glad I could help smile

I guess you can have one of mine back... I don't want to wear two and seem pretentious

Nov 21 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

the thing is it's usually the only bad shot in their port. the rest are good or even great and the shot they use as their avatar is just bad I mean I don't think anyone could argue these shots are good, they're really really bad.

OK, so maybe you can be the avatar monitor for the site.

Nov 21 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Frog516 wrote:

I guess you can have one of mine back... I don't want to wear two and seem pretentious

I have a big pile of them, now if someone had cookies yikes

Nov 21 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

I don't think you have a problem with your avatar... I just licked my screen it is so nice.

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

hmmm...not a bad idea....smile

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

blah blah blah, no one wants to respond to what I actually wrote, oh well maybe someday...smile

Well, I don't find myself wanting or needing to be concerned with others' ports, just my own.  Their avatar choice is not mine to make.

Model

Sharde Latasha

North Little Rock, Arkansas, US

how is my aviater?

Nov 21 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

I don't understand it. I know there's different opinions about what's good and what's bad, but some people have hands down the crappiest shot in their port as their avatar. Usually I end up looking at their ports only because they post so many times that I finally have to know what their work looks like.

Has anyone else noticed this? I just don't get it. Sometimes I look at their work and it's pretty good but you would never know it by their avatar. I mean sometimes I put up a new avatar that isn't my best just to show a new shot but these people keep their horrible pictures up to represent themselves permanently.

I know it's hard to hear but I feel like they should know because it seriously hurts their chances of getting work but so far no one's appreciated or heeded the advice so hopefully after this post you know who you are! and I don't have to personally tell you. Okay that's all.

I know what you mean. I've often done a shoot with lots of great shots, but the model looks at the very worst one of herself and says "I like that one!".

It's because they're used to seeing so many photos where they look good, that they're excited to see a photo where they look different. When someone sees their own photo, they're looking at it in comparison to other photos of themselves. If 100 photos show a beautiful face, but 1 shows an awful scowl with a deformed eyes, that will stick out.

It used to bother me, but not anymore. I've realized that everyone sees the world through their own eyes, and it's rare and hard to see the world through the eyes of others.

Nov 21 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Sharde Latasha wrote:
how is my aviater?

aviater?  aviator?  avatar?

Nov 21 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Frog516 wrote:

I don't think you have a problem with your avatar... I just licked my screen it is so nice.

Can't blame you.  smile

Nov 21 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Frog516 wrote:
this is going to sound rude, but it really is not meant to be. Looking at your avatar and you being a model I think your avatar is not the right one either. As a model I think you should have a photo that shows more of you, I could not tell what you looked like at all from your avatar. So I guess it is just personal preference

People in glass houses should never even dream about throwing stones...

Nov 21 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

Image K wrote:

People in glass houses should never even dream about throwing stones...

I don't get it, are you saying my avatar sucks?

Nov 21 06 02:36 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

so I guess what I'm hearing is that no photo is any better than any other photo. Background, cropping, lighting, focus, it's all just personal opinion? None of it makes a "better" photo?

Nov 21 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

so I guess what I'm hearing is that no photo is any better than any other photo. Background, cropping, lighting, focus, it's all just personal opinion? None of it makes a "better" photo?

That wasn't your original post, asking what makes a good image.  Your post was complaining about the port owner's choice for an avatar. 

As Ansel Adams used to say, there are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs

Nov 21 06 03:05 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

Doug Jantz wrote:

That wasn't your original post, asking what makes a good image.  Your post was complaining about the port owner's choice for an avatar. 

As Ansel Adams used to say, there are no rules for good photographs, only good photographs

It is the response to my original post. I'm saying they have photos that are oustanding and use the one that is visually repulsive, not a style of any kind, just really poorly done.

Nov 21 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Admiral Frog

Roswell, Georgia, US

I guess people pick out a specific avatar for personal reasons, because besides your name this it what people see first. So maybe people pick them because they somehow, either consciously or subconsciously, represent some aspect of that person. Or maybe its just pure random selection

Nov 21 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

little apple blossom

MCMINNVILLE, Oregon, US

By the way there are only four specific people I am talking about and the avatar has always been their avatar, it isn't just a new shot thing. I just feel like were hear to help eachother. I have let them know politely but I too have been told the same thing in the past and I think you need to hear it from more than one person before you believe that it's somewhat universal. I just encourage people to be honest. It promotes the success of others.

Nov 21 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

It is the response to my original post. I'm saying they have photos that are oustanding and use the one that is visually repulsive, not a style of any kind, just really poorly done.

But you never asked what any of us thought made a good photograph.  And has been said, what you consider to be poor may not be considered that way by someone else.  This world is VERY diverse.  Same as with food.  What I like you may hate. Same with art.  Some of the classic paintings I think look stupid, but what do I know about art?

Nov 21 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Stacy

Englewood, Florida, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Hey, I like the pink hair shot
And the big smile!

I second that!!

Nov 21 06 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

This is my newest picture that's why I have it up. that's why I said I change them from time to time to show new shots not neccessarly because they're my best work. I know this isn't my best it's just new and that's all.

But you are trying to justify something another finds unappealing. It doesn't work like that. In your opinion, your avatar is good, which is why it's there. If it weren't you wouldn't put it there period.

Nov 21 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Crappy to you.  It's just your opinion. 

Sure, I've noticed this as well.  In general, I've found that models on the net are horrible judges of what's good and bad in a photograph because they can't seperate "themselves" from that picture long enough to look at it objectively.  Models are notorious for this but photographers are quite guilty of it, too. 

So they'll have all kinds of reasons for putting up something that you may hate, but they are in love with.  Maybe they like the colors.  Maybe they think the use of space is cool.  Perhaps the indeterminable expression on their face that looks better full-size made them pick it.  Perhaps they think it's their good side.  Maybe it's the newest piece of crap they have.  Maybe they're wearing a scarf that gramma made for them when they were 4.  Who knows?

And we all have are judgements.  We all think we know best.  Maybe it's simply a style that you don't like.  Personally, some of the people who are exaulted for their talents around here have work that really makes me question why they even bother.  As in, "Pack it up; you're wasting your time and everyone else's" kind of crap.

But that's a reflection of my tastes.  Your opinion is merely a reflection of yours...

Nov 21 06 03:42 pm Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

I'm not going to humilate people but if I told you the people I'm talking about I'm sure you would all agree.

This statement right here is just wrong off the bat. To you, it may be bad. But, to someone else, it may be perfect. You have to realize that everyone see's things differently.... not just through your perspective.

Nov 21 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Lamonica wrote:

This statement right here is just wrong off the bat. To you, it may be bad. But, to someone else, it may be perfect. You have to realize that everyone sees things differently.... not just through your perspective.

This is true!  And what most of have been saying.

I don't like the red hairdo, but that doesn't make it bad.  Just means I don't care for it.

Nov 21 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

By the way there are only four specific people I am talking about and the avatar has always been their avatar, it isn't just a new shot thing. I just feel like were hear to help eachother. I have let them know politely but I too have been told the same thing in the past and I think you need to hear it from more than one person before you believe that it's somewhat universal. I just encourage people to be honest. It promotes the success of others.

Young lady...

Don't take this personal...

Shut off your computer. Take a walk in the park. Read a good book. Call some relatives and tell them how much you love them. Rent some good movies, and gorge yourself on some sausage pizza...

Posting on MM just isn't working for you today...

There's always tomorrow...

Nov 21 06 05:16 pm Link