Forums > General Industry > "Women Only?"

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

Is there any nice way that doesn't look sexist to tell male models that I prefer to only photograph women? Maybe it limits me, but I just don't find photographing men interesting (yet).

- Matt

Nov 20 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Im working on another project using female models only - i will hope to work with you at some other  time in the future?

Nov 20 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Not Really. I cannt think of something to say. Just lie to them that your fully booked, or something.

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

You get to shoot what you want, there's nothing wrong with that.  Just be nice and say that they don't fit your current projects, or flat out tell them that you're only shooting women right now, but you'll keep them in mind of that changes.  No biggie.  smile

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about something else.  Nevermind.   wink

Nov 20 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Shyly wrote:
You get to shoot what you want, there's nothing wrong with that.  Just be nice and say that they don't fit your current projects, or flat out tell them that you're only shooting women right now, but you'll keep them in mind of that changes.  No biggie.  smile

I started to add that to my profile, it just looked "wrong" somehow.

Nov 20 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about something else.  Nevermind.   wink

ditto

Nov 20 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

KM von Seidl wrote:

Haha, I know that it's the titles that grab people. :-)

Nov 20 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

modeldennis

s-Gravenhage, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Unfortunately men often get bullshit reasons....just be honest about it, that will be appreciated wink

Nov 20 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Matt Towler wrote:
but I just don't find photographing men interesting (yet).

I like the 'yet' part wink

So why saying "My speciality is female portrait/galmour/lingerie/[you name it] .... " would make them think that you are sexist ?

Nov 20 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I state on my profile that I only shoot women.

Nov 20 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Just say "Horny Male with Camera" that will keep them away.

M

Nov 20 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Matt Towler wrote:
Is there any nice way that doesn't look sexist to tell male models that I prefer to only photograph women? Maybe it limits me, but I just don't find photographing men interesting (yet).

- Matt

I disagree. Photographing men is a challenge in my eyes. You cannot use the same techniques with both sexes. I can imagine the look I'd get if I told "Sam" to give me that cute look...
I will say it is a bit more satisfying at times to get a fantastic image featuring a male model. You know the effort it took to get the desired image.

Rich

Nov 20 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

Me either and I'm a female photographer!!!! I am married though, and I really am only attracted to my husband- so that may have something to do with it. I would love to someday have the passion/ability to shoot men.

Nov 20 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

You're thinking "in the box" again.  I prefer to shoot women because that attracts me most.  But I try to think ("out of the box") what others want to see.  Most women want to see a hunk of a man, and remember, they are 50+% of the population.  Never cut yourself off...., others will do that for you just fine.

Nov 20 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

LeB

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Don't worry about it. You get used to it around places like this, when you are a male model. Just be honest. There are so many gwc's, glamour photographers blah blah blah, that you see it all the time. Real fashion happens with agencies and those associated with them, not here. How many photogs that get hired to shoot some Burberry, for example, only shoot women.....
This place is for (serious)fun. All my legit work comes through my agencies.....Ask any working agency model how often they meet photogs that would never shoot a male.

Nov 20 06 01:12 pm Link

Model

Lee Frederic

Chicago, Illinois, US

LeBrone wrote:
Don't worry about it. You get used to it around places like this, when you are a male model. Just be honest. There are so many gwc's, glamour photographers blah blah blah, that you see it all the time. Real fashion happens with agencies and those associated with them, not here. How many photogs that get hired to shoot some Burberry, for example, only shoot women.....
This place is for (serious)fun. All my legit work comes through my agencies.....Ask any working agency model how often they meet photogs that would never shoot a male.

Hear hear. The man is dead on! Its all about the agency. If they accept you then they work with male models.My agency doesn't send me to female only shoots b/c I'm a male and they book me according to the clients needs.

Nov 20 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LeBrone wrote:
Ask any working agency model how often they meet photogs that would never shoot a male.

Lee Frederic wrote:
Hear hear. The man is dead on! Its all about the agency. If they accept you then they work with male models.My agency doesn't send me to female only shoots b/c I'm a male and they book me according to the clients needs.

1.  Many agencies rep female models only.  There is no reason for a photographer doing tests for them to shoot males.

2.  While it's true that shooting men requires a different skill set than shooting women, there is no reason why a photographer needs to acquire that set of skills if he isn't interested in it, any more than he needs to learn to shoot product photography if he isn't interested in it.

3.  Some people make their money by being versatile enough to shoot many things.  Other people specialize. 

4.  Some people aren't doing photography for money, and can shoot whatever they please.

It is what it is, no judgments other than that needed.

Nov 20 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

What if they're gay? :-P

Nov 20 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Rich Mohr wrote:

I disagree. Photographing men is a challenge in my eyes. You cannot use the same techniques with both sexes. I can imagine the look I'd get if I told "Sam" to give me that cute look...
I will say it is a bit more satisfying at times to get a fantastic image featuring a male model. You know the effort it took to get the desired image.

Rich

Notice that I said not interested YET.

Nov 20 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

ZingArts wrote:
You're thinking "in the box" again.  I prefer to shoot women because that attracts me most.  But I try to think ("out of the box") what others want to see.  Most women want to see a hunk of a man, and remember, they are 50+% of the population.  Never cut yourself off...., others will do that for you just fine.

I'm not saying that I'll never do it...just not feeling inspired by the ones asking me, let's just say.

Nov 20 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Guy Daniels

New York, New York, US

Lee Frederic wrote:

maybe i need to get with an agency then

Nov 20 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

If you want to only shoot female models, then just say that.

If you don't want to shoot someone in particular, just say they don't have the look you are working on right now.

Honesty and tactfulness work best.

And why should you feel apologetic about whom you will and won't shoot. I personally will only shoot certain people on a non monetary basis, but if they want to pay me, I don't care.
I'll shoot anyone to the best of my ability, but some of them will have to pay me to do it.

Nov 20 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Webspinner wrote:
If you want to only shoot female models, then just say that.

If you don't want to shoot someone in particular, just say they don't have the look you are working on right now.

Honesty and tactfulness work best.

And why should you feel apologetic about whom you will and won't shoot. I personally will only shoot certain people on a non monetary basis, but if they want to pay me, I don't care.
I'll shoot anyone to the best of my ability, but some of them will have to pay me to do it.

With all the talk about "guys with cameras" on here, I don't want to be seen as such. I do it primarily for artistic reasons.

Nov 20 06 02:54 pm Link

Model

L E O III

Toledo, Ohio, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

M

Yep.....that should do it

Nov 20 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

My response to requests for TFP from male models is as follows:

"Thank you for your interest. I am not currently working on any projects for which your look would be suitable. If you would like to schedule a portfolio shoot, my rates are very reasonable. (link to my website page on paid shoots.)"

It's the same response that female models who make such requests and whose look is not suitable for any of my projects get.

M

Nov 21 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

AEV Foto

Carolina, Carolina, Puerto Rico

Matt Towler wrote:

- Matt

Hummm, how nice of you. I just reply that I don't shoot men. Haven't heard anyone cry yet.

Nov 21 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

Just say you don't shoot guys.  What's the problem?  I don't shoot guys and have turned several away because I don't shoot guys just like I don't shoot macro, wildlife, nudes of women with implants, etc.  Shoot what you want and be honest about it.

Nov 21 06 09:25 am Link