Forums > General Industry > Value of Model Mayhem

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

In the last year, I have recruited the grand total of one model from MM.  In previous years, MM was far and away the dominant source.

Many of my recent models have an MM profile, but MM has not been the initial point of contact as it has been in the past.

I suspect that there is a freight train coming and, despite its superabundance of faults, that freight train may be facebook. 

OMP did not see its MM "freight train" coming.  I wonder if MM is any more prescient?

Mar 16 14 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

DougBPhoto wrote:

I must have missed something, but I always thought that agencies are the best place to find agency models, I don't recall there ever being a suggestion that MM has ever been the place for that.

As for Facebook, is there a browse option where you can search for models on there?

Tools, gotta pick the right one for the job and know how to use it properly.

Yes you probably have, some of us use multiple tools.

Mar 16 14 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

I think MM is a great place to start out and for placing casting calls.

But the same can be done on Facebook if you sign up for the right groups.

Mar 16 14 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Darren Brade wrote:
Yes you probably have, some of us use multiple tools.

Actually, that was what I was saying with the word "tools", plural.

While some people only use one tool, many of us have multiple tools and select the best one for doing what needs to be done.

Sorry if you missed that.

Mar 16 14 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

MM is just like life: you get out of it what you put into it.  You'll find the Good, the Bad and the Beautiful.  The trick is to work with people who appreciate what you bring to the party.  Personally and professionally... it's been great to me.  -JULIAN

Mar 16 14 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

I've had great luck finding models with MM. I've also had great luck finding photographers that are far better than I able to answer my questions and help me out with tips and techniques.

While I'm still not satisfied where am I am as photographer and understanding that MM has not made me a better photographer, the models and photographers that are here certainly have. So it's been pretty much and continues to be invaluable to me.

Mar 16 14 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

ChadAlan

Los Angeles, California, US

MM is great!

I work with a lot of models on MM but have found Instagram to be a great way to connect as well.

Mar 16 14 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

DougBPhoto wrote:

Actually, that was what I was saying with the word "tools", plural.

While some people only use one tool, many of us have multiple tools and select the best one for doing what needs to be done.

Sorry if you missed that.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Mar 17 14 12:29 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been a VIP member here for several years and lately I'm starting to question that value of that. In the 5+ years I've been active on MM I have seen a very dramatic decrease in the quality of "models" they approving accounts for. I'd say about 1/2 of the new accounts I've seen open in the area in the last year have portfolios filled with selfies and cell phone pictures. I'm also seeing a much higher population of models who have mediocre portfolios but demand payment for everything.

All that aside though, I think my biggest frustration is the casting calls. First you have models who post a casting call, I respond to it, and you get an answer back 2 months later. Second, and most frustrating, is when I run a casting call and MAYBE I'll get 1 or 2 responses. Two years ago I would run a casting call for a shoot and I'd get 25-30 responses in a day. A few weeks ago I ran a casting call for a simple, PAID gig for a corporate event and I got 3 responses. It's like nobody even looks at the casting calls anymore. For me, that's my #1 reason for being here and now that so few people even look at the casting calls I'm really starting to question the value of MM when Facebook and Craigslist generate such better results.

Mar 17 14 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I've found models I liked working with via MM and more of the same from other sources. I figure on MM it's somewhere between 1 out of 50 and 1 out of 500 that I want to work with. That's somewhat better odds than the general population.

Mar 17 14 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

MM is worth it's weight in Gold when referring to model quality and ability to hook up for photo shoot(s) particularly for it's easy, breezy click-to-see and follow-up with other MM models and photographers for quality of work and character.
Nothin to it but to do it...

Mar 17 14 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Wow Photos

Dayton, Ohio, US

Honestly over the past few years, It's been hit and miss with a lot of models on here, but I don't blame that so much on this site as I do with the overall lack of drive in young models these days, and the increase in drugs in the generation as well...  There are still the occassional diamonds in the rough, but I like several others have stated, have had to just start handing out cards to random people to see if that gets a better chance of shooting at times.

Mar 17 14 03:17 pm Link

Model

Josie Lee

San Diego, California, US

I still firmly believe that MM is the BEST resource
for finding models and other industry related professionals.

No matter what state/country I am visiting, I can pull up the pages of many local
talents. So easy and convenient to use, and many agency models
as well as freelance and/or aspiring models. Almost everyone is here.
Their casting calls have been so useful!
Then when images are credited it is a reasonable way to vet
others if needed.

I love MM!

Mar 17 14 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Body Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

natural beauties of qld wrote:
In the last year, I have recruited the grand total of one model from MM.  In previous years, MM was far and away the dominant source.

Many of my recent models have an MM profile, but MM has not been the initial point of contact as it has been in the past.

I suspect that there is a freight train coming and, despite its superabundance of faults, that freight train may be facebook. 

OMP did not see its MM "freight train" coming.  I wonder if MM is any more prescient?

I didn't expect the thread to be so heavy M.M. vs. F.B.  I actually had my facebook(s) before my MM account; I guess I should revisit it and my Twitter as tools in addition to Model Mayhem.  I do enjoy the forums more.  That is a strong point for MM; I remember a couple of years ago, you couldn't ask a question on here, without becoming some wolf's chew toy.

Mar 17 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Josie Lee wrote:
I still firmly believe that MM is the BEST resource
for finding models and other industry related professionals.

No matter what state/country I am visiting, I can pull up the pages of many local
talents. So easy and convenient to use, and many agency models
as well as freelance and/or aspiring models. Almost everyone is here.
Their casting calls have been so useful!
Then when images are credited it is a reasonable way to vet
others if needed.

I love MM!

I definitely agree, MM is the "universal" internet modeling site. There are a few local(ish) ones for the UK that are more active (locally) but MM is the mother of them all.

Mar 17 14 05:32 pm Link

Model

Goodbye4

Los Angeles, California, US

I feel like MM used to have a lot more traffic 5 years ago than it does now. A lot of my bookings come through Facebook now while a smaller percentage come through MM than before.

Mar 18 14 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

I find model mayhem has lost its way for actually finding models, models that show up for shoots basically come from social media these days.

Mar 18 14 07:11 pm Link