Forums > General Industry > Value of Model Mayhem

Photographer

Natural Body Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I am finding it easier (or at least as easy) to find models to work with, outside of Model Mayhem, than within.  I found that a bit strange, because I joined the Mayhem a few years ago, because I was looking for motivated models, and I did; I have enjoyed participating in various projects with about twenty five different beautiful young ladies (some two or three projects). Now, successful contacts are coming from me just going about my non-photographic, day-to-day activities, without really even trying.  I thought about canceling my membership, but I realized this site does provide valuable valadation, for when I mention to others that I am a photographer.  Any thoughts?

Mar 16 14 08:46 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

I shot this beautiful model 5 days ago - 3/11

http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/6IiPr.png  18+
http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/cSfw0.png  18+
http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/PGsf0.png  18+

If it weren't for modelmayhem I would never knew she exist. Nor how to contact her.  her port https://www.modelmayhem.com/2705092

In fact, every beautiful models in my port are credits to MM.  All except that one happy waiter guy.

Mar 16 14 08:54 am Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

I cancelled my membership and just went with the free package. I honestly find very little value in this site other then the forums. If you put yourself out there, it's easy for you to find models. I go to group events a good bit. Hand out business cards to random girls I want to shoot with and do a ton of networking on Facebook.

Mar 16 14 08:57 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Model Mayhem is what you make of it.

Do good work that models see value in, make fair offers, be positive, network, etc, and you'll find plenty of value in being here. 

If you don't do any/all of the above, you probably won't find much value.

Mar 16 14 09:04 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

barepixels wrote:
I shot this beautiful model 5 days ago - 3/11

http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/6IiPr.png  18+
http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/cSfw0.png  18+
http://199.167.201.88/screencaptures/PGsf0.png  18+

If it weren't for modelmayhem I would never knew she exist. Nor how to contact her.  her port https://www.modelmayhem.com/2705092

In fact, every beautiful models in my port are credits to MM.  All except that one happy waiter guy.

^^^^ Does amazing work, networks, and is a very positive person.  Perfect example of the type of photographer that ends up finding plenty of great models here, and gets plenty of value from being on MM.   smile

Mar 16 14 09:09 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

haha thnx.  you are pretty awesome too.  amazing portfolio!  can't wait to shoot you.

Mar 16 14 09:17 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

barepixels wrote:
haha thnx.  you are pretty awesome too.  amazing portfolio!  can't wait to shoot you.

I love the positive attitude, assuming that we'll definitely shoot.....because you're probably right.  wink

One of these days, when I make it to San Diego....

Mar 16 14 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Cherrystone

Columbus, Ohio, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Do good work that models see value in, make fair offers, be positive, network, etc, and you'll find plenty of value in being here. 

^^This^^

OP, learn to separate the wheat from the chaff on here. Granted there is more chaff than wheat, but if you do proper separation you'll do just fine.

Photographer

GER Photography

Imperial, California, US

If I lived closer to a big city, I would be ecstatic with MM because models wouldn't have to come 50+ miles to show up. As it is, I shoot once every couple of months. I need to just set up photo days in San Diego which is a nice two hour drive through the mountains from me.

Retoucher

Lidia Stolyarova

Kiev, Kiev, Ukraine

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Good point.

There are many good professionals here on MM. But also there are tones of amateur profiles which confuse. So it takes time to find good ones.
IMHO, MM is nice place to keep in touch with colleagues , but not for serious work.

Mar 16 14 09:39 am Link

Model

D A N I

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

I find MM better to decide who to work with and who to avoid. I met a few photographers on Facebook but after looking at their presence on the forums here, their profile, the "rules" they state (I never pay models, EVER, don't ask!), and just the overall quality of their port...I decided to avoid them. Ended up dodging a few bullets too thanks to this site.

It works for some and doesn't work for others. Same with everything else in this world. Find something that works for you, ignore the rest.

Mar 16 14 09:43 am Link

Photographer

barepixels

GER Photography wrote:
If I lived closer to a big city, I would be ecstatic with MM because models wouldn't have to come 50+ miles to show up. As it is, I shoot once every couple of months. I need to just set up photo days in San Diego which is a nice two hour drive through the mountains from me.

I have a photographer friend who spent a summer at his parent home in some small town.  he was miserable. He said, when he search for models within 50 miles he found only about a dozen total and more than half have not log in over a year.

So yeah being in big city is a huge advantage.  It's not MM fault though.

Mar 16 14 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Ed Devereaux

Woodland, Washington, US

MM was a great place to help build a portfolio but if you want to make a living out of your photography, you have to leave the computer and get out and meet and greet.

Mar 16 14 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Varton

New York, New York, US

Ed Devereaux wrote:
MM was a great place to help build a portfolio but if you want to make a living out of your photography, you have to leave the computer and get out and meet and greet.

well said.

Mar 16 14 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Most of my models were from MM but many were from art networks or both.

MM is not the powerhouse they used to be. First it was OMP hen MM. Lately I have seen people in my circles drop MM for what ever reasons and go to more focused networks.

I look at MM as the yellow pages of models. Everyone and their mother is here which is overwhelming sometimes

Mar 16 14 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

As far as finding models (or photographers) within or without MM that's going to depend largely on a variety of considerations such as your age, employment, recreational and social activities, genres, experience/skill, location, etc.  I find MM my casting pool of choice because:
I'm old--Lots of models think shooting with a 76-year old man is creepy (especially if
     he's shooting nudes),
I'm retired--Work is one of the best ways to meet new people and around the water
     cooler is a great place to put the word out.  I don't have that any more.
I don't go out much--Lots of old people are boring and lots of young people are
     uncomfortable around old people, besides which, I've got a wife who's witty and
     fun.
I shoot nudes--Which turns a lot of people off, even if they're not asked to shoot
     them.  Sometimes because they're not asked to shoot them,
I'm not the best--I'm a good distance away from the worst, but still it's unlikely that
     anything shot by me will grace the cover of a magazine or museum wall.
I live in a less than popular neighborhood--But that's changing as artists, etc. get
     priced out of neighborhoods like Williamsburg and Dumbo, etc.

However, if I did find the MM pool drying up for me, I could:
Expand my genres--There are thousands of young actors, dancers, etc. looking for
     headshots, for example, and some people look better with their clothes on.
Perform a community service--Lots of senior citizens centers around--great source
     for interesting faces.  Lots of youth centers that would love to have someone
     willing to teach art or photography classes.  I've never tried it, but family portraits
     is a legitimate business.
Join or start a meet-up group--In  New York, it's hard to walk around without tripping
     over a wanna-be model.
Socialize more--Saint though she is, there are days when my wife would like to throw
     me out of the house. And some old people are kinda cool. 

And within MM, I've found that being an active, supportive part of the forums is a great way to reassure potential models that I'm one of the good guys.  It's a great way to meet models.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Mar 16 14 10:26 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

I hardly ever arrange shoots on MM actually. But I still found it very valuable, and still do today. Some examples, for me:

*amazing inspirational work on here. I love that I can list stuff I really like
*I met a ton of people. Even made a couple of friends on here!
*I don't have an open facebook account, so not everyone can see my pictures... if someone wants to see my portfolio, I direct them here
*the handful of shoots I have done through here have all been awesome
*generally, it opened my mind a lot. I have a much wider view of beauty and awesomeness than I did before joining the mayhem
*it's done wonders for my english vocabulary! great practise big_smile
*I get to help other, new models in their journey on here

Mar 16 14 10:43 am Link

Photographer

GeorgeMann

Orange, California, US

Art Silva wrote:
Most of my models were from MM but many were from art networks or both.

MM is not the powerhouse they used to be. First it was OMP hen MM. Lately I have seen people in my circles drop MM for what ever reasons and go to more focused networks.

I look at MM as the yellow pages of models. Everyone and their mother is here which is overwhelming sometimes

This; just as Art, I used to get all my models through OMP, but since the new owners took over and most of the models I work with no longer update, or even visit their ports there, I get most of my new models here on MM.
I rarely shoot new models and am content working with the tried and true ones that I have worked with before, so MM is a very good source for communication.

Mar 16 14 11:09 am Link

Photographer

L2Photography net

University City, Missouri, US

I have found great models on and off MM but this is the only site with great forums. Someone ask a question in a forums and I have often read it and pick something up I didn't  know or think about how to do.
L2

Mar 16 14 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Bare Essential Photos

Upland, California, US

MelissaAnn  wrote:

Very accurate statement.

Model Mayhem has definitely been on the decline the past year and it will continue. However, that being said, it's still the best site for freelancers in modeling and photography to get together and contact one another.

The "no shows/flakes" are always going to be an inherent part of any site dealing with freelancers.

Mar 16 14 11:17 am Link

Model

lynne g

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

IMO, mm is akin to internet dating. Ie. You can meet some great people. Some even meet their life partner on the internet. And then you also meet a bunch of weirdos who misrepresent themselves. Makes you salty... Other people prefer to meet people they date face to face. And then again, some leave internet dating and cone back to it later after meeting too many creepy people face to face...

Look at mm that way for a perspective

Mar 16 14 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Kincaid Blackwood

Los Angeles, California, US

Your mileage may vary.

MM, I think, has a specific utility. If you're looking for a place that is geared towards social/community, MM is NOT the place! It just is not. I don't care what people say about the forums. Think of all the things you can do in your Facebook news feed. You can see your friends pictures, like them, comment on them, watch someone's video, post your own status which could easily include a link/video/picture, read through a particularly interesting discussion, like/comment on more pictures, see someone you don't know tagged in a friends photo and reach out to make a connection, like a few new pages… all in a matter of MINUTES. Seriously, all of that can be done in a span of ten minutes (depending on the length of those videos).

Can you do all of those things on Mayhem? No. So evaluating this site on those terms is missing the point. The value is in the directory and categorization. Seeing a member's body of work, how often they post, the relative popularity (based on views) of their look/work, the profile page is well-set to learn about an individual. It is functionally a directory that facilitates learning about an individual, not a communal experience. It's not a sharing community like Instagram or a communal soundboard like twitter. It's not a blog like Wordpress (thought clearly some do blog via forum posting).

If you want feeds and followers, MM just isn't the place to go. I can't find stats and info on a model by going to Facebook. I can't search for the specificity of a look on Instagram. I would agree that you get what you put into this site to a point. To me it has to do with site expectations going in. I can't expect my wrangler to offer what a camero offers. If my needs are to haul lumber then I have no business buying a mustang over an f150.

Mar 16 14 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Select Model Studios

Tempe, Arizona, US

GER Photography wrote:

Yeah I'd love MM if I actually had some options. If I did a local search right now.. 70% of the results on the first page would be horrible ports and mirror selfies. The last log in on the first page would have been from 6 months ago.

I am possibly moving to Raleigh. Down there, there are plenty of active models. I'm sure I'll use it a tad more. Small city life sucks at times.

Mar 16 14 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Natural Body Photo  wrote:
I am finding it easier (or at least as easy) to find models to work with, outside of Model Mayhem, than within.  I found that a bit strange, because I joined the Mayhem a few years ago, because I was looking for motivated models, and I did; I have enjoyed participating in various projects with about twenty five different beautiful young ladies (some two or three projects). Now, successful contacts are coming from me just going about my non-photographic, day-to-day activities, without really even trying.  I thought about canceling my membership, but I realized this site does provide valuable valadation, for when I mention to others that I am a photographer.  Any thoughts?

As others have said, it is what you make it.

It is true that I do see more model/photographer networking going on at places like Facebook than in the past, but that too (or any other tool) is how you use it and what you make of it.

If one gets/finds opportunities in other places as well, then look at it as a positive, because that is so much better than no opportunities at all. 

Opportunities are gifts, and they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  Appreciate what you have and work to move in the direction you want and towards the dreams you want to pursue.

Mar 16 14 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Laura Elizabeth Photo

Rochester, New York, US

I don't use MM anymore to find models, or even when I look I don't really find anyone promising.  For some reason Facebook is way better and nearly all the models I work with were found there.  Even the ones that do have an account on here probably don't even use it/aren't active.

I just come here for the forums, which I not only find helpful but entertaining too.

Mar 16 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

Of the 29 models in my current MM portfolio sets, 5 or 6 were from online contacts of one kind or the other. That means 75 - 80% came from real-world sources. It's like any other tool. Just as it isn't possible to build an entire house using a hammer, I certainly wouldn't depend on MM as my main source of contacts.

Mar 16 14 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

GER Photography wrote:

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I lived in Houston for 20 years and never had a shortage of willing models to shoot. I moved to the country 20 years ago (3 hours from Houston) and MM is proving to be a great way to shop for talent. I do live in a college town (SFASU) so I still have no shortage of fresh faces to work with, but MM has introduced me to talent I would have never discovered otherwise. And the forums are a great place to keep up with the latest news and trends in the modeling/photography world. (and to give some of my new MM friends a hard time) LOL!

Mar 16 14 02:11 pm Link

Filmmaker

PrinceL

Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas

Extremely valuable! I've cast two films successfully from this site.

Being an independent filmmaker (until I start getting "Hollywood" budgets), I simply don't have the resources to set up multiple castings in cities across the US.

This site gives me a broad list of talent to choose from, tells me there skill sets, gives away a little of their personalties through their profile descriptions and a little bit of their style in their portfolios.

It simply makes the casting process for a film that much easier and less expensive.

Mar 16 14 02:24 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Much easier than maintaining a personal website and easier to segregate modeling and music.

Very valuable.

I book a lot of work and have made some great friends along the way.

Plus, I like to chat it up in forums work/no work so it's all-purpose for me.

Mar 16 14 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

MelissaAnn  wrote:

This is only one way of looking at things....

In my experience, MM got left behind for many people when Facebook became a messaging hub for just about every model I know. It's everywhere and makes networking much easier for me.

MM is just a small part in my network, it has it's value, but is no longer as essential as it used to be.

If people can find other ways of networking then that's fine, you're not doing anything wrong.

Mar 16 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Something not mentioned before in this thread, most (but not all) agency models will NOT have a MM profile but will have a presence on Facebook.

Mar 16 14 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

rxz

Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US

Everyone comes here for their own needs and reasons.  For me it's models now that OMP is mostly dead.  Not great but reasonably effective.  But referrals from other models generally matches what I find on MM.  As for the forums and contests, I find them of little value.

Mar 16 14 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Darren Brade wrote:
Something not mentioned before in this thread, most (but not all) agency models will NOT have a MM profile but will have a presence on Facebook.

Very true.

I've been approached by agency models via Facebook but never here as a far as I remember.

Most of the London agencies have a Facebook page too and of course the bookers are there too, and they tend to be pretty dismissive of MM in general.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Mar 16 14 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For what it's worth, MM is just a lot more fun than so many of the other sites I belong to.  That has to count for something.

Mar 16 14 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

L2Photography net wrote:
I have found great models on and off MM but this is the only site with great forums. Someone ask a question in a forums and I have often read it and pick something up I didn't  know or think about how to do.
L2

Yes.

Mar 16 14 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Eugenya Donald Photo wrote:
For what it's worth, MM is just a lot more fun than so many of the other sites I belong to.  That has to count for something.

The forums rock!

Not as hard as they used to, but still worth a good chuckle from time to time.

borat

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Mar 16 14 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Darren Brade wrote:

I must have missed something, but I always thought that agencies are the best place to find agency models, I don't recall there ever being a suggestion that MM has ever been the place for that.

As for Facebook, is there a browse option where you can search for models on there?

Tools, gotta pick the right one for the job and know how to use it properly.

Mar 16 14 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

DougBPhoto wrote:
As for Facebook, is there a browse option where you can search for models on there?

Yes.

It's called "The Friends List" wink

Amazing as it may seem, many agency models tend to be at least Facebook-friends with other models from the same agency and also models they've met at shows etc.

I shot a girl from Premier last year because she saw my photos of one of her friends on Facebook... smile

And the great thing about finding agency models via Facebook is that you usually don't have to go through their booker, which means you get more say over what, when and where you shoot.

Don't get me wrong; pulling girls from agencies via the bookers is a good option if you need somebody for an editorial with a big team because if she's sick or otherwise unavailable the booker will at least send somebody else along instead. But for simple testing with just me, the model and maybe a MUA, it's generally easier and less hassle to arrange it direct via Facebook.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Mar 16 14 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

DougBPhoto

Portland, Oregon, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:
Yes.

It's called "The Friends List" wink

I meant searching by stats, not just searching to find their accts.  wink

Mar 16 14 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy