Forums > General Industry > First implied, advice?

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Melanie J Utz wrote:
I'm doing my first implied shoot and would like to hear what kind of advice you guys might have for me. Also,  what are done methods you have tried, liked or disliked as far as pasties (etc) goes?

Shoot a bunch of selfies in the mirror. Study them. Send them to me to study. This will make you comfortable.

Don

Jan 20 14 09:16 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

I don't call that "implied nude." Implied nude is an image that looks nude with strategic placement of the garment and composition (cropping either in camera or in post-production).

In your image, I could clearly see your model was nude, but due to posing, her vagina and breasts aren't showing.

All Yours Photography wrote:
Ditto on Keith's post above.  Poses should be relaxed, natural and just so happen to leave strategic areas out of sight in the photos.  If your first concern is keeping your ladybits out of the photo, you will not look relaxed and natural.

This shot was from this model's first implied shoot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95453138/DSC00154%20mandies%20edit3.jpg

Work with a photographer whose work you like and whose references have checked out, ideally, someone that you've worked with before to give you a little more comfort with them.

Likely that it will feel a bit awkward for the first 15 minutes or so.  Don't do "the" shot that you really wanted first.  Save it until you're had a chance to relax a bit.

As far as pasties, I've never had a model use them, although it wouldn't bother me if she did.  I have had a few models that didn't want me to see them and I would turn my back while they got into position.  A minor inconvenience, but if it keeps the model looking comfortable in the photos, it's worth it.  About 1/2 of the models that started the shoot on this basis would tell me midway through the shoot not to worry about it, as they became more comfortable being nude on the set.

Jan 20 14 09:39 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Ronald N. Tan wrote:
...I could clearly see your model was nude, but due to posing, her vagina and breasts aren't showing.

It's pretty tough to photograph a vagina anyway, because it's an internal organ. As in photographing a colon, an endoscope or some serious stretching is required.

But the model's vulva is not seen in the photo.

Don

Jan 20 14 09:46 am Link

Photographer

My personal and (professional) opinion on implied nudes can be summarized from the "Star Wars."

Yoda wrote:
Do or do not, there is no try.

Either you summon up the courage to do a high-fashion nude like Kate Moss or Gisele Bundchen or you don't. Your location plays an important factor. If your idea of nude is exemplified in the 18+ contests, I wouldn't even consider doing nudes. Be mindful that once your nude goes on the internet, it can't be retracted. There is a chance that someone out there in cyberspace saved a copy for their private collection.

Nudity—when execute properly with the right, competent photographer can be a rewarding experience.

Melanie J Utz wrote:
I'm doing my first implied shoot and would like to hear what kind of advice you guys might have for me. Also,  what are done methods you have tried, liked or disliked as far as pasties (etc) goes?

Thanks!

Jan 20 14 09:51 am Link

Photographer

I sit here corrected. Thank you for pointing my incorrect identification; my grasp of human anatomy is rusty.

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

It's pretty tough to photograph a vagina anyway, as it's an internal organ. Like photographing a colon, an endoscope or serious stretching is required.

But the model's vulva is not seen in the photo.

Don

Jan 20 14 09:53 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
ETA: Don't know why you'd wear pasties.

Oops... I've read "pastries" in the OP and envisioned her smearing frosted cupcakes somewhere... LOL

Silly me!  facepalm

Jan 20 14 09:54 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Ronald N. Tan wrote:
I sit here corrected. Thank you for pointing my incorrect identification; my grasp of human anatomy is rusty.

You're welcome. I doubt it's at all rusty. You followed the MM convention and were perfectly clear, but it's one of my many pet peeves. Apologies for stepping on your post.

Don

Jan 20 14 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

To the OP: Feel comfortable with who you are shooting with; otherwise the pictures will not be what you expect. You have to have trust in the photographer that they will not get your lady bits in the image. Being uncomfortable shows in your facial expressions and body language.

For the rest of the respondents, the above was my personal note to the OP. My next post is meant for those bickering and derailing the thread.

Jan 20 14 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Kev Lawson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Moderator Note!
Please keep this on topic. This is not a critique thread of the OP's bio, this is not a thread to argue who thinks implied means this or that. The OP asked a question and hopefully got her answer. If you want to discuss what implied means in your opinion start a new thread asking that.

Jan 20 14 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Studio 12

Spartanburg, South Carolina, US

Carl Blum Photography wrote:
Keep all of your clothes on....

+1

Jan 20 14 10:14 am Link

Photographer

J-Gan

Yes, this thread has drifted in another direction but it illustrates how people who shoot implied have different meanings. So, I'm sure the OP may not have a clear understanding herself.

Find a photographer who has patience and discuss your concerns. Make sure you and the photographer are on the same page. Don't do this with words but with pictures illustrating what you want to shoot. I suggest having a MUA on the shoot to help with the process.  Good luck.

Jan 20 14 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Relax...... The shots where models are grabbing their parts to get them covered look  dumb.  Look natural and make it flow.  To do an implied just to do an implied always looks too composed.  Get creative and.... relax.

G'luck!

Jan 20 14 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Suncatcher Imaging

Sacramento, California, US

You must be relaxed and comfortable with the photographer. Your pics will show your tenseness. Do not relax with a belly of booze or other relaxing substances. Practice in front of a full length mirror. Have a friend critique your posing. Study online implied studies. As for pasties, TACKY!!!!! You don't want to look like a 50's stripper. Be yourself. Ask the photographer if you could bring a female friend with you to make you comfortable...Good Luck!!

Jan 20 14 11:26 am Link

Photographer

afplcc

Fairfax, Virginia, US

Melanie J Utz wrote:

Thanks!

Lots of tips:
1.  Distinguish between "implied" (meaning, you could be nude in the shot but b/c of shadow or the pose, it's impossible to tell if you're nude or you're wearing a bikini bottom and bandeau top) and "demure" nudes (demure means you're obviously nude but your nipples and labia aren't visible...maybe a sheet is strategically draped over them or you've got a hand bra going).
2.  You're going to be nude in front of the photographer.  I'm not trying to make that sound prurient.  It's that don't think you can pose so the photographer can't see you nude.  You need to be completely, absolutely nude in front of the photographer.  You need to be willing to have your nipples exposed or have your pubic area visible.  B/c the purpose is not to hide your genitals from the photographer.  It's to create certain type of poses.  Case in point:  I did a shoot with a model who does NOT shoot nudes (not even implied or demure nudes).  But for the concept we were shooting (her leaping and spinning while covered in lace) she had to be completely nude while draped by a lace sheet.  And in some of the poses, as she spun and leaped, she'd expose her labia or her breasts or her butt.  And so I deleted those.   And in all of the results we had implied nudes.  But she had to get nude in front of me.  So if that's an issue for you, then don't do the shoot.
3.  Pasties are great...if you're shooting a concept where you play a stripper.  I don't really see any value in having them.  If you trust the photographer to not take nude photos of you, then lose the pasties.  If you're not sure, than don't do the shoot.
4.  Some other logistical tips:
--get some examples of some sample poses and print them out...not to copy but for inspiration.  If you're nervous, that will help you get started.
--don't do this gradually where you strip down bit by bit by bit during the shoot.  If you're nervous now, that just makes it worse.  if you're going to take off clothes and then shoot implied nude poses, strip down right away and get in to it.  You'll be less nervous, you'll work through the stiffness, and get in to a flow.  You'll probably find your best poses come at the end of the shoot after you've had 15-30 minutes to stop being self-conscious and instead focus on creating great poses.
--lighting (especially shadow) is great for shooting implied and demure nudes.  Just did a shoot with a model last friday, all nude.  Her one rule is "no pink."  Well, we did a series of her kneeling towards me with her legs spread.  But b/c of the positioning of the soft box, everything is in shadow.  In fact, 1/3rd of the shots from that look would pass muster as a "Safe for work" avatar on MM despite that her hands weren't covering anything and her legs were open and facing the camera.  What you're after her are good poses, not crossing personal boundaries by posing almost nude and then feeling a bit risqué.
--if you're going to be fully nude (and then do implied and demure poses), bring a robe or kimono of some sort.  Check the posing space for temperature (it often gets colder when the clothes come off) and drafts (you may work up a sweat posing and a draft of even warm air can produce goose bumps).
--as a general rule, I appreciate models who moisturize the night before a shoot.

Best of luck and I hope you have a great experience.

Ed

Jan 20 14 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

afplcc wrote:
Just did a shoot with a model last friday, all nude.  Her one rule is "no pink."  Well, we did a series of her kneeling towards me with her legs spread.  But b/c of the positioning of the soft box, everything is in shadow.  In fact, 1/3rd of the shots from that look would pass muster as a "Safe for work" avatar on MM despite that her hands weren't covering anything and her legs were open and facing the camera.  What you're after her are good poses, not crossing personal boundaries by posing almost nude and then feeling a bit risqué.

To add to the above, if you trust and can work well with the photographer, even shots that are otherwise great but reveal a bit more than you want can often be rescued with Photoshop

Jan 20 14 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

J-Gan

afplcc wrote:
2.  You're going to be nude in front of the photographer.  I'm not trying to make that sound prurient.  It's that don't think you can pose so the photographer can't see you nude.  You need to be completely, absolutely nude in front of the photographer.  You need to be willing to have your nipples exposed or have your pubic area visible. B/c the purpose is not to hide your genitals from the photographer.  It's to create certain type of poses.  Case in point:  I did a shoot with a model who does NOT shoot nudes (not even implied or demure nudes).  But for the concept we were shooting (her leaping and spinning while covered in lace) she had to be completely nude while draped by a lace sheet.  And in some of the poses, as she spun and leaped, she'd expose her labia or her breasts or her butt.  And so I deleted those.   And in all of the results we had implied nudes.  But she had to get nude in front of me.  So if that's an issue for you, then don't do the shoot.

I have done my fair share of implied shoots without seeing nipples or pubic area so I totally disagree with this. 

To the OP, don't do any leaping or spinning.

Jan 20 14 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

J-Gan

Eye of the World wrote:

To add to the above, if you trust and can work well with the photographer, even shots that are otherwise great but reveal a bit more than you want can often be rescued with Photoshop

For someone doing their first implied shooting, I would stay away from any provocative poses.

Jan 20 14 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Pasties call more attention to certain parts and look cheap.

Jan 20 14 05:19 pm Link

Model

Letsinia

Udine, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy

Melanie J Utz wrote:

Thanks!

I think that if you feel more at ease with pasties, you should go for it (after discussing it with the photographer).

When I did my first “total” implied (not only topless), I used pasties and a C-string.

I felt more comfortable because:
1) I had to sit on sofa/bed/ecc… and I think that using a C-string, even if little, was more hygienic.
2) No fear of ruining a good shot with some “slipping”.

I worked with that photographer many times and he knows I trust him and I have no problems being nude in front of him (I don’t shoot nudes for work reasons, not personal ones).

The shooting went really well and it is one of my most voted sets on Zivity.

Not a general rule, just my opinion (and experience).

Jan 21 14 05:17 am Link

Model

Ida Saint-Luc

Pasties, well, apparently no one is a fan of those. If you do use them, their purpose should be to ensure that an awesome shot isn't rendered unusable by a visible nipple, not to keep the photographer from seeing you naked.

I never used pasties and I did a fair amount of implied. However, I very often got emails from the photographers asking if they could pretty please use some photo where nip was visible (because it just happened to be a good capture, etc.) and I apologetically said no, because we had agreed on implied, etc. and I wasn't yet comfortable being nekkid all over the internet. That always sucked (for me and the photographer). Now I'm just nude --although, alas, some limits exist in that genre too. Significantly less annoying than for implied, however.

Anyway, I know it's not popular, but I DO see the pros of pasties if doing implied nudity is something you're really set on. You never really know if this or that is concealing your nipples from the camera's perspective and hand-bras are not advisable.

Jan 21 14 05:52 am Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Just make sure your photographer is honest and reputable. I have known of several models who shot "implieds" that  weren't, and the pics ended up on the internet the next day.

See if she/he is willing to put in writing, in contract form, that she/he won't publish, in print or to the internet, any pictures of your labia, anus, areola or nipple. Even when trying to keep you covered, even when wearing clothing, even with a good photographer who is looking out for your best interest, "oopses" can and do happen.

Jan 21 14 05:59 am Link

Photographer

CASUAL CLASSIC

Hickory, North Carolina, US

.... 2 - cents worth....!!! being a model on this site will lead to times when your naked.... call it what you like, implied/handbra/ semi covered, ect... to be shy is normal at first... after that it is part of the JOB....!!! work with a pro shooter, or at least advanced skills... check references....!!! it is a pure waste of your time & the photogs time if your determined to HIDE like an 11 yr old girl... GWC,

Jan 21 14 06:26 am Link

Photographer

CASUAL CLASSIC

Hickory, North Carolina, US

...oops,,,, as i was saying...GWC, please find another hobby.........

Jan 21 14 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Barely StL

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Mix it up with different poses. Think about creative poses before the shoot. There are many ways to pose of "imply" besides the hand bra (which usually seems to say, "What are you doing here?" or "You don't belong here."

While your shooting, think about posing, expressing, working the lights, etc. - not what you are or aren't wearing.

Jan 21 14 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Another Italian Guy

Bath, England, United Kingdom

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
I can tell you what drives me crazy. It's seeing photos of women who are obviously and awkwardly covering up their bits and pieces for the photo. It should either look very natural OR overly exaggerated in my opinion. Anything in between is just fake looking.

ETA: Don't know why you'd wear pasties. If you're actually worried about the photographer seeing you naked you'd be better off just not shooting that type of stuff. It'll show in the photos that you're uncomfortable being nude.

+1

Trying to shoot "implied" with a model not comfortable with being nude (and being photographed nude) is almost always a waste of time.

Either own it, or don't bother.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Jan 21 14 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Another Italian Guy wrote:

+1

Trying to shoot "implied" with a model not comfortable with being nude (and being photographed nude) is almost always a waste of time.

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

+1000 smile

Jan 21 14 08:52 am Link

Model

The Original Sin

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Melanie J Utz wrote:

Thanks!

Relax.  Don't take it too seriously, because then you'll tense up and it will show in the images.  It's implied, so you need to think of how the clothing/props are going to look from the camera's angle, so try to work with that idea in mind.

Most of all- try to have fun and enjoy it.  I don't know anyone who was 100% comfortable their first time doing nudes or implied, so be aware that you may not have 100 stellar images- 5/100 is a good goal.

Jan 21 14 08:58 am Link

Photographer

No One of Consequence

Winchester, Virginia, US

As many others have said, if you're not comfortable with the photographer (and his/her assistants, if any) seeing your ladybits, don't shoot any kind of nudity, implied or otherwise.    Fear and paranoia will affect the quality of your work.   

The only reason I can see shooting with pasties is if they're an integral part of the concept (EG burlesque) or you want something topless-ish that you can post to a venue where nipples aren't allowed.

The more comfortable you are with your body, the better you will be as a model - regardless of what you are (or aren't) wearing.

Jan 21 14 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Just echoing everyone else, you're not ready, don't do it.

Perhaps practice with a friend or something until you're comfortable with the concept.  Otherwise you'll just look awkward and both you and the photographer will end up with unusable photos.

Jan 21 14 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

Charger Photography wrote:
Back in 2009 I booked a shoot with a model... she told me she was cool with implieds but not nudes... During the shoot she was just trying to cover herself and all the pics were a waste.. I cut the shoot short... every single image she had that look of not comfortable... since then... I shoot with models who do nudes... and if the final image is an implied its all good....
They are lots of models who are comfortable being nude.... they just don't want pics showing their bits... and walk around the studio butt nekkid... no problem working with them.... smile
Just make sure you are comfortable nude and have fun shooting

I agree... given two choices for a model for a non nude shoot, and "all things being equal" (which they never are, but play along... ) I'd pick the model who does do nudes  just because overall because *usually* they are more comfortable with themselves.

What I think is silly is "no nudes" in the profile, from someone who is going nude studio shoots every other week.  I've seen plenty of models with two profiles, one nude, one 'regular.'  Even one who I shot with who has a nudes-but-no-face profile.

Jan 22 14 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Rik Williams

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

-JAY- wrote:
Depends on who you're working with.

With a legit  photographer... realize you'll be nude and nobody cares. With someone who wants to see boobies, even with pasties, they'll get their fix, you're covered, and its still no big deal.

Mmmmmm... Boobies

Jan 22 14 03:34 am Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

+1

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

Completely matches my experience.

Jan 22 14 06:22 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Just go full monty, it's easier.

Jan 22 14 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

+1

Just my $0.02 etc. etc.

I agree.

Jan 22 14 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

As that great philosopher Yoda said many years ago in a galaxy far far away "Do or do not". Ditch the clothes or keep them on.

As others have said the best results are when people are relaxed and natural. The worst are when the model is worried about what can be seen. Without trust there is nothing, so pick photographers that are trustworthy. Models need to be comfortable in their own skin, literary!

Most likely this is not the advice you want to hear but the advice you need to hear.

Jan 22 14 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Azimuth Arts

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Like most others have stated if you don't want the photographer to see you naked then don't bother.  My suggestion for most models shooting implied/concealed/covered nudes for the first time is to get as undressed as required for the shot and let everyone in the room (MUA, stylist, photographers assistant, etc.) see you naked.  Don't bother with pasties - they will be more likely to ruin a shot than your nipples slipping as they cover more skin.

And as others have said work with a photographer who you trust to not publish photos that show too much. 

That's my $0.02

Jan 22 14 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

No One of Consequence

Winchester, Virginia, US

DwLPhoto wrote:
I agree... given two choices for a model for a non nude shoot, and "all things being equal" (which they never are, but play along... ) I'd pick the model who does do nudes  just because overall because *usually* they are more comfortable with themselves.

This, 100%.

My experience is that wannabe/inexperienced models who make a big deal of the whole "ZOMG NO NUDES" thing come into a shoot - even if it's fully clothed - with an adversarial or defensive attitude and have a hard time taking direction.   Not worth the headache.

Jan 22 14 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

fsp

New York, New York, US

Take off your clothes n act shy. With some experiance, you'll learn to relax n do better work.

Jan 23 14 09:25 am Link

Model

MelissaAnn

Seattle, Washington, US

Just get all the way naked, and let the photographer see it all.  After the photographer has seen everything, you won't worry about what might be "showing" between sets/poses, and will be able to look a lot more natural.  Pick a photographer you trust to only post implied shots if that's what you're comfortable with. 

My main advice would be this: If you're not comfortable being seen by the photographer, completely naked, and don't trust him/her enough to only post implied shots, then don't go through with the shoot.

Jan 23 14 10:38 am Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Most likely, the photographer is going to see something. You have to be okay with that. If he's a professional, he's not going to care; he's not there to see boobs.

Jan 23 14 02:39 pm Link