Forums > General Industry > First implied, advice?

Model

Melanie Poses

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm doing my first implied shoot and would like to hear what kind of advice you guys might have for me. Also,  what are done methods you have tried, liked or disliked as far as pasties (etc) goes?

Thanks!

Jan 19 14 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

I don't really shoot implied nudity on purpose but I can tell you what drives me crazy. It's seeing photos of women who are obviously and awkwardly covering up their bits and pieces for the photo. It should either look very natural OR overly exaggerated in my opinion. Anything in between is just fake looking.

ETA: Don't know why you'd wear pasties. If you're actually worried about the photographer seeing you naked you'd be better off just not shooting that type of stuff. It'll show in the photos that you're uncomfortable being nude.

Jan 19 14 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Depends on who you're working with.

With a legit  photographer... realize you'll be nude and nobody cares. With someone who wants to see boobies, even with pasties, they'll get their fix, you're covered, and its still no big deal.

Jan 19 14 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Ditto on Keith's post above.  Poses should be relaxed, natural and just so happen to leave strategic areas out of sight in the photos.  If your first concern is keeping your ladybits out of the photo, you will not look relaxed and natural.

This shot was from this model's first implied shoot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95453138/DSC00154%20mandies%20edit3.jpg

Work with a photographer whose work you like and whose references have checked out, ideally, someone that you've worked with before to give you a little more comfort with them.

Likely that it will feel a bit awkward for the first 15 minutes or so.  Don't do "the" shot that you really wanted first.  Save it until you're had a chance to relax a bit.

As far as pasties, I've never had a model use them, although it wouldn't bother me if she did.  I have had a few models that didn't want me to see them and I would turn my back while they got into position.  A minor inconvenience, but if it keeps the model looking comfortable in the photos, it's worth it.  About 1/2 of the models that started the shoot on this basis would tell me midway through the shoot not to worry about it, as they became more comfortable being nude on the set.

Jan 19 14 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

All Yours Photography wrote:
Likely that it will feel a bit awkward for the first 15 minutes or so.  Don't do "the" shot that you really wanted first.  Save it until you're had a chance to relax a bit.

+1

I will say, that the most successful implied shoot I have ever done was with a model who had never shot nudes.

She asked me to find the cheesiest song I could find, so I put on "Barbie Girl" - she got nude and danced around like an idiot... after that, shooting implieds was no biggie.

(You may want to try the barbie girl method at home - just get comfortable prancing around with no clothes)

Jan 19 14 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Eyesso

Orlando, Florida, US

"Don't be nervous"?   I mean...if this is your first time, and you are American, not raised as a nudist, then chances are you have misgivings about skin.  So just go into this for the experience, expect that you'll probably be pretty nervous and that the shots will convey that.  But....if you happen to realize that it's no big deal and you feel more relaxed halfway though, then good, better shots. 

Work with a photographer you TRUST, one you have worked with before.  Then you don't have to wear pasties, you can just say you don't want to show this bit or that, and she/he will make sure you're "implied" before pressing the shutter button. 

Whether you are indoors or outdoors, have a handful of classic poses in mind.  Shop on a site like "Pinterest" for ideas.  For instance, a simple Google search of "implied nude pinterest" yielded this collection, which I think has a lot of those classic poses in it.

http://www.pinterest.com/tjswinno/implied-nude-posing/  (18+)

Remember you are the muse for a classic greek sculpture....and not a young girl hiding her boobs.  Grace & beauty always outlive propriety.

Jan 19 14 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

Melanie J Utz wrote:
I'm doing my first implied shoot and would like to hear what kind of advice you guys might have for me. Also,  what are done methods you have tried, liked or disliked as far as pasties (etc) goes?

Thanks!

Pasties, what is that?  Implied nude means that you are not nude in the view of the camera.  You are indeed nude in front of the photographer.  You can cover with your hands or clothes, but why bother.  Just keep you clothes on and be comfortable. 

I am just sayin'

Jan 19 14 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Carl Blum Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Keep all of your clothes on....

Jan 19 14 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Pasties are a bad idea for a variety of reasons. If you have to have pasties for shooting "implied", you're not ready to shoot that yet. So don't.
If you're going to shoot shots with nudity where the nipples aren't meant to show, then shoot with a photographer you trust and have an agreement that no images that show nipples will be released. Simple as that. This is what big girls do.

Jan 19 14 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Incident Image

If you're shooting implied but worried about being nude or partially nude in front of a photographer or crew, then you shouldn't be shooting implied.  Plain and simple.

If you're nervous or apprehensive, it WILL show in your posing and expressions.  You'll be more concerned "covering' yourself than doing the job you should be doing.  If the photographer is legit, he will make sure nothing is revealed in the photos.

Jan 19 14 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Charger Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Back in 2009 I booked a shoot with a model... she told me she was cool with implieds but not nudes... During the shoot she was just trying to cover herself and all the pics were a waste.. I cut the shoot short... every single image she had that look of not comfortable... since then... I shoot with models who do nudes... and if the final image is an implied its all good....
They are lots of models who are comfortable being nude.... they just don't want pics showing their bits... and walk around the studio butt nekkid... no problem working with them.... smile
Just make sure you are comfortable nude and have fun shooting

Jan 19 14 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

H D P

Stuart, Florida, US

Incident Image wrote:
If you're shooting implied but worried about being nude or partially nude in front of a photographer or crew, then you shouldn't be shooting implied.  Plain and simple.

If you're nervous or apprehensive, it WILL show in your posing and expressions.  You'll be more concerned "covering' yourself than doing the job you should be doing.  If the photographer is legit, he will make sure nothing is revealed in the photos.

Yeup....

Jan 19 14 11:15 pm Link

Model

Haruka Salt

As others have noted, try to look natural. It looks awkward when the model is covering up just for the sake of implied. That being said, pasties do look odd unless you're doing pin up / burlesque. You can get a lot out of using fabric and clothing. And if you get uncomfortable, I would let the photographer know. I know it can be disconcerting your first time.

Jan 19 14 11:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Marc Damon Retouch

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

Others have said it. But I'll repeat it.
A photographer you trust and not caring who sees what during the shoot are essential. I you're not comfortable, don't do it.

Jan 20 14 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Marc Damon Retouch wrote:
A photographer you trust and not caring who sees what during the shoot are essential. I you're not comfortable, don't do it.

Others said it, he repeated it and I'll quote it for emphasis.

Jan 20 14 05:30 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Marc Damon Retouch wrote:

Mark C Smith wrote:
Others said it, he repeated it and I'll quote it for emphasis.

Quoted also.

If you do decide to do it, definitely do it with a photographer you trust. There WILL be some nip slips and peaks (among other slips) and I have seen unscrupulous photographers post them. My avatar was an implied nude shoot.

Jan 20 14 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

-JAY- wrote:

+1

I will say, that the most successful implied shoot I have ever done was with a model who had never shot nudes.

She asked me to find the cheesiest song I could find, so I put on "Barbie Girl" - she got nude and danced around like an idiot... after that, shooting implieds was no biggie.

(You may want to try the barbie girl method at home - just get comfortable prancing around with no clothes)

Along these same lines, I was going to recommend that she just whip them out and shake them around to get over her fear, but your idea is probably better.
smile

Jan 20 14 06:19 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Pasties? Sounds like you should not be shooting, you are too nervous and its bound to show.

Jan 20 14 06:26 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

The methods that I've had the most success with when shooting a model who's nude but doesn't want the bits to show in the photo:

Having a release that details the limits of what we're shooting and what we do with it.
Explaining what I'm doing and looking for in the direction.
Telling the model if something's showing that she doesn't want to show and giving her time to fix it.
Letting her see the shots.

But as noted above, until the model is comfortable with the concept, and/or trusting of the photographer, the tension is going to show in the shot. And I tend to agree that if the model's worried about pasties, the model may want to rethink the shoot.

People's personal limits should be honored, period, whether it applies to photography or other things. I have nothing against having inhibitions. I have quite a few myself. But if you're not comfortable with pushing the envelope some, then maybe it's best to wait. A picture is forever, especially now.

Jan 20 14 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

My advice would be to edit the info in your profile, because there were not 3 "kidnappings".
Perhaps you never bothered to read the whole story.

Oh wait,..Is that advice you want?

Jan 20 14 06:43 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Keith Allen Phillips wrote:
ETA: Don't know why you'd wear pasties. If you're actually worried about the photographer seeing you naked you'd be better off just not shooting that type of stuff. It'll show in the photos that you're uncomfortable being nude.

Implied does not mean that the model is nude. Look up the concept of implied. It implies that the model is nude while in actual fact she is not. Are you, perhaps, referring to partial nudity?

Jan 20 14 06:48 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All Yours Photography wrote:
Ditto on Keith's post above.  Poses should be relaxed, natural and just so happen to leave strategic areas out of sight in the photos.  If your first concern is keeping your ladybits out of the photo, you will not look relaxed and natural.

This shot was from this model's first implied shoot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95453138/DSC00154%20mandies%20edit3.jpg

Work with a photographer whose work you like and whose references have checked out, ideally, someone that you've worked with before to give you a little more comfort with them.

As far as pasties, I've never had a model use them, although it wouldn't bother me if she did.  I have had a few models that didn't want me to see them and I would turn my back while they got into position.  A minor inconvenience, but if it keeps the model looking comfortable in the photos, it's worth it.  About 1/2 of the models that started the shoot on this basis would tell me midway through the shoot not to worry about it, as they became more comfortable being nude on the set.

The photograph looks like a full nude to me.

Jan 20 14 06:50 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Incident Image wrote:

If you are shooting implied then why would anything be revealed to either the viewer or photographer?

Jan 20 14 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

The Aperture Studio wrote:
The photograph looks like a full nude to me.

You obviously aren't clear on the concept of implied nudity.

I am. And my post stands as it was written. For those with decent reading comprehension skills and common sense it should be fine.

Jan 20 14 06:55 am Link

Retoucher

Marc Damon Retouch

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

If you are shooting implied then why would anything be revealed to either the viewer or photographer?

um.... no. Just no. neutral

Jan 20 14 07:01 am Link

Photographer

howard r

first of all, choose a photographer with good taste. (i would not choose them based on the fact that they are offering to pay more money.) secondly, as so many others have pointed out, if you look like 90% of your concentration is on making sure nothing shows, then it will be a waste of time.

also understand that the photographer will see you naked and if you are relaxed in your poses, in some frames things will end up showing. you should have a clear understanding that those images will not be used, or will not be used on mm, or will not be used without your permission, etc. if nudity is a huge issue for you - you can tell the photographer that you want to add a line to the release that addresses that arrangement. if they refuse to add that, it could be a sign of a potential problem. but discuss all of that before you get to the shoot, not afterwards. it's not fair to the photographer to try to impose restrictions after the fact.

Jan 20 14 07:12 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You obviously aren't clear on the concept of implied nudity.

I am. And my post stands as it was written. For those with decent reading comprehension skills it should be fine.

???

It appears that your reading, comprehension and language skills may be lacking.

The model in the photograph is nude, she has absolutely no clothing on, so, how can you possibly think that she is not nude but doing implied?

Perhaps, you might consult a dictionary to understand the word "implied".

"Imply" in the Oxford English Dictionary:
Involve the truth of (thing not expressly asserted, that); mean; insinuate, hint.

and in Webster's College Dictionary:
To indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated.

These definitions would suggest that you do not understand what the concept of implied is. Perhaps, it is being misused by photographers in order to get the models to be nude in front of them even though the resulting photograph would not show nudity (breasts and/or genital area).

Models might be advised to clarify with photographers with whom they are contemplating shooting with to clarify what they really mean and expect the model to do in the photo shoot. An implied nude photo shoot does not involve any nudity. If it does, then it is not an implied photo shoot but, rather, a nude photo shoot and the photographers ought to be honest with the model at the outset.

Jan 20 14 07:15 am Link

Photographer

Keith Allen Phillips

Santa Fe, New Mexico, US

???

It appears that your reading, comprehension and language skills may be lacking.

The model in the photograph is nude, she has absolutely no clothing on, so, how can you possibly think that she is not nude but doing implied?

Perhaps, you might consult a dictionary to understand the word "implied".

"Imply" in the Oxford English Dictionary:
Involve the truth of (thing not expressly asserted, that); mean; insinuate, hint.

and in Webster's College Dictionary:
To indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated.

These definitions would suggest that you do not understand what the concept of implied is. Perhaps, it is being misused by photographers in order to get the models to be nude in front of them even though the resulting photograph would not show nudity (breasts and/or genital area).

Models might be advised to clarify with photographers with whom they are contemplating shooting with to clarify what they really mean and expect the model to do in the photo shoot. An implied nude photo shoot does not involve any nudity. If it does, then it is not an implied photo shoot but, rather, a nude photo shoot and the photographers ought to be honest with the model at the outset.

"Implied nude" is about the final result.

Models are most definitely nude in front of the photographers while shooting. It's up to the photographer to make sure that nothing is showing in the final image so that it is "implied nudity". What I and others have said is that if a model is so uptight that she feels the need to wear pasties so the photographer can't see her nipples while shooting(even if they aren't in the final image) then she shouldn't be shooting that type of image at all.

It's YOU who isn't clear on what "implied" means in this case.

Jan 20 14 07:23 am Link

Photographer

TrianglePhoto

Chicago, Illinois, US

Over the last 30 years, I've used "implied nude" with both meanings.

It seems the modern "internet" definition is as Keith has described - and for the most part, it is the definition that almost all models use today.

Back in college in the 80s, we had a more nuanced set of definitions than what is usually used today.

Nude. Pretty self explanatory.
Demure nude (or modest nude). As the example above - nude but no "bits" showing.
Draped Nude. Nude but using clothing or fabric for modesty.
Implied Nude. Subject is not nude, but photographed in a way to appear nude.

Plus I'm sure there were other delineations I've forgotten since then.

It seems the older definitions are archaic and rarely used today, which is too bad, I think they would help with some of the misunderstandings that people have when it comes to trying to set up an "implied shoot".

Jan 20 14 07:54 am Link

Photographer

howard r

you may in fact be correct as far as the literal definition of implied, but in practice, most people here (including models) use it to mean "nude but nothing showing", and as such there is no "bait and switch" intended.

Jan 20 14 08:01 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"Implied nude" is about the final result.

Models are most definitely nude in front of the photographers while shooting. It's up to the photographer to make sure that nothing is showing in the final image so that it is "implied nudity". What I and others have said is that if a model is so uptight that she feels the need to wear pasties so the photographer can't see her nipples while shooting(even if they aren't in the final image) then she shouldn't be shooting that type of image at all.

It's YOU who isn't clear on what "implied" means in this case.

I have stated my views. It appears that you are unsure of what you are stating.

As an example, if I am shooting a nude in a reclining, sitting, or standing position from behind and she is nude then it is a photograph of a nude and not an implied nude even though the breasts or genital area are not seen. By your definition, you would call it an implied shot.

I think it is you who ought to become familiar with concepts and terms.

Jan 20 14 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Flick

London, England, United Kingdom

There is no such thing as an "implied" nude shoot. You are either nude or you aren't nude, whether your bits are shown are not has to be discussed with the Photographer before the shoot.

If you aren't comfortable enough to be naked in front of the photographer, you really shouldn't be doing it. If it is a good photographer, he will not be gawping at you, but will be concentrating on his end of the shot with lighting and cameras etc.

Jan 20 14 08:14 am Link

Photographer

The Aperture Studio

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

howard r wrote:

you may in fact be correct as far as the literal definition of implied, but in practice, most people here (including models) use it to mean "nude but nothing showing", and as such there is no "bait and switch" intended.

It is both a literal and a real life definition. You are correct that many photographers use the term in that way but it is still not correct. The question also is: Is it professional to do so? I can see a GWC doing something like this but not a professional photographer. I know that this is Model Mayhem and the site does attract GWCs, as well.

It is sad to see that there are many photographers being loose with definitions for their own ends. I it is either ignorance or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the model. I am not sure which. I do know that it is not professional.

Jan 20 14 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

It is both a literal and a real life definition. You are correct that many photographers use the term in that way but it is still not correct. The question also is: Is it professional to do so? I can see a GWC doing something like this but not a professional photographer. I know that this is Model Mayhem and the site does attract GWCs, as well.

It is sad to see that there are many photographers being loose with definitions for their own ends. I it is either ignorance or a deliberate attempt to obfuscate the model. I am not sure which. I do know that it is not professional.

Hmmm... by your definition, I see no implied nudes in your "Nudes and Implied Nudes" folder. But this is getting off-topic from the original post.

Jan 20 14 08:36 am Link

Photographer

m_s_photo

Port Moody, British Columbia, Canada

The question also is: Is it professional to do so? I can see a GWC doing something like this but not a professional photographer. I know that this is Model Mayhem and the site does attract GWCs, as well.

Heck, GWC here, I do it all the time. Deliberate obfuscation is one of the main tools of my trade. Tell 'em it's implied then get 'em nekkid.

Works for me.

Anything beyond implied, and obfuscation breaks down. At that point I have to outright lie and tell 'em the shoot is about puppies and ponies. Gets a little dicey after that.

I find serving alcohol helps.

Jan 20 14 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Darryl Varner

Burlington, Iowa, US

When I started in photography - admittedly in the dark ages - there weren't so many sub-set definitions. Essentially, it came down to what the end product was to be. In Peter Gowland's book, "Guide to Glamour Photography", he defines a particular sub-set as "nude-but-not-nude". Photos of this sort would be used in advertising, for instance, when the client wanted a model to appear nude on the package or print ad, assuming that text or product placement would cover the strategic areas. At that time, it was generally assumed that the model would be nude during the session.

Jan 20 14 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Photo Bill

Chaska, Minnesota, US

AJScalzitti wrote:
Pasties? Sounds like you should not be shooting, you are too nervous and its bound to show.

Exactly

Jan 20 14 08:56 am Link

Photographer

howard r

Jeff Fiore wrote:
Hmmm... by your definition, I see no implied nudes in your "Nudes and Implied Nudes" folder. But this is getting off-topic from the original post.

yeah, i just noticed that as well - lol

as far as getting back to the op, she should know that there is a range of opinions on exactly what constitutes "implied" and that a little communication goes a long way.

one last tip for melanie: you can always say "please send some examples of the kinds of images you want to shoot" and you are free to come back with "i'm cool with everything except #4 and #7"

Jan 20 14 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Marin Photo NYC

New York, New York, US

I would say give it a shot. If you can't get comfortable you could always stop.

Jan 20 14 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Rob Walker

Brighton, Colorado, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
Pasties are a bad idea for a variety of reasons. If you have to have pasties for shooting "implied", you're not ready to shoot that yet. So don't.
If you're going to shoot shots with nudity where the nipples aren't meant to show, then shoot with a photographer you trust and have an agreement that no images that show nipples will be released. Simple as that. This is what big girls do.

This ++

Jan 20 14 09:12 am Link