Forums > General Industry > The new model checklist

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

I know lots and lots of new models have these kinds of questions, so I'm gonna put my ignorance out there for them and ask them myself smile  The information on this site is so extensive, that when I searched for this stuff, I came up with a bunch of stuff that didn't help me or didn't pertain.  I am admittedly terrible at using a search function on any site properly, though.  I can never seem to find what I'm looking for, but I digress.

I would like some help on putting together a checklist for a new model.  I'd like to get into commercial modeling, but I don't know how.  What steps should I take at first?  Is the ultimate goal at the end of this "beginning" process to go to an agency that represents commercial models and show them my book, and hope they like me?  How do I get to that point?  Do I need to bring them a full portfolio? Or do I just need to bring them a comp card?  Does a commercial model need a comp card at all?

For that portfolio and/or comp card, should I just hire one photographer, or should I hire a couple to get different styles of images?  Does a professional photographer that I hire to take these shots provide a makeup and stylist, or should I hire them as well?  Lord knows I can't do my own.

How do I get the prints?  Will the photographer provide them?  How do I get comp cards printed?

Thank you all so much for volunteering your time and experience.  If you don't feel like typing out a response, and my question has been answered before, and you know where it is, and you feel like linking me, please please do so.  I'm serious about this, and I want to do it right smile

Nov 10 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Kali Doom wrote:
I know lots and lots of new models have these kinds of questions, so I'm gonna put my ignorance out there for them and ask them myself smile  The information on this site is so extensive, that when I searched for this stuff, I came up with a bunch of stuff that didn't help me or didn't pertain.  I am admittedly terrible at using a search function on any site properly, though.  I can never seem to find what I'm looking for, but I digress.

I would like some help on putting together a checklist for a new model.  I'd like to get into commercial modeling, but I don't know how.  What steps should I take at first?  Is the ultimate goal at the end of this "beginning" process to go to an agency that represents commercial models and show them my book, and hope they like me?  How do I get to that point?  Do I need to bring them a full portfolio? Or do I just need to bring them a comp card?  Does a commercial model need a comp card at all?

For that portfolio and/or comp card, should I just hire one photographer, or should I hire a couple to get different styles of images?  Does a professional photographer that I hire to take these shots provide a makeup and stylist, or should I hire them as well?  Lord knows I can't do my own.

How do I get the prints?  Will the photographer provide them?  How do I get comp cards printed?

Thank you all so much for volunteering your time and experience.  If you don't feel like typing out a response, and my question has been answered before, and you know where it is, and you feel like linking me, please please do so.  I'm serious about this, and I want to do it right smile

Without looking at your profile or portfolio, I suggest you look at some agency websites, click on the link that says “talent search” or “model search” and see want they want to see.

Nov 10 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

Kali,

most of the info you want -maybe- is provided by this website: www.newmodels.com

other info about contracts and shoot-info-needed and safety and when you receive prints can be found at my website:  http://home.earthlink.net/~hyphotograph … sites.html

I put those forms and info links, etc, up there just because so many models have asked me for info when they were starting. Figured "Why duplicate what is already written down".

hope this all answers at least most of your questions!

take care, have fun, be safe!

Nov 10 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

Honestly with your height I doubt you'd get an agent.5'4" is short plus for commercial models they normallly dont want people who have done nudes.

Nov 10 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Heres a few tips as well:

Here ya go

Hope it helps you out smile

Nov 10 06 11:01 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Thank you guys so much smile

I really AM too short even for print?  Crap!  Does that mean I am stuck doing what I am doing until I'm too saggy to do it?  I really would love to move out of the nude genre and all of the issues that come with it.  Have I already branded myself?

Nov 10 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

kali,

theoretically ... 5'4" models -can- do commercial print ...... BUT: that is the exception. usual seems to be 5'6" and above. so try to be 'exceptional'?

or: try catalog work. maybe tradeshows or spokesmodeling ... tho they like taller people too, some models -have- done pretty well at those.

its not glamourous, but some colleges and/or art schools use -clothed- models. not great pay but at least you get to keep clothes on!

do research!! there must be niche markets with photogs and stores and malls where you could work (clothed). I've seen a few ..... must be more.

good luck and take care!

Nov 10 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Thank you, kindly, Harry.  I'm trying to be realistic here.

Nov 10 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I thought all new models already followed a list? At least the ones I contact do. The list is something like:

1. Don't ever reply to a photographer's first 2 emails....it makes them think you're desperate.

2. When you finally do reply, make up an excuse as to why it took you so long, but express interest.

3. Stop replying.

Nov 10 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Grandart

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kali,
It looks to me that you have one question and the other one a statement. The statement is about nudes and you don't really like to do them anymore. If that's the case take those pictures out of your port. Get rid of them, because if you don't, there will always be folks asking you to do them. And you'll feel awful for having to say whatever it is you say.
With respect the question, relying on an agent to get you commercial work is about as much fun as watching grass grow. The truly succesful models that I know are in constant contact with clients and potential clients. Yes, you need to push. Leave your comp card every place you can. I've seen girls who creatively sell themselves do very well in the  business.
Hope this helps

Nov 10 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I thought all new models already followed a list? At least the ones I contact do. The list is something like:

1. Don't ever reply to a photographer's first 2 emails....it makes them think you're desperate.

2. When you finally do reply, make up an excuse as to why it took you so long, but express interest.

3. Stop replying.

Yes!

Nov 10 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

grandart wrote:
Kali,
It looks to me that you have one question and the other one a statement. The statement is about nudes and you don't really like to do them anymore. If that's the case take those pictures out of your port. Get rid of them, because if you don't, there will always be folks asking you to do them. And you'll feel awful for having to say whatever it is you say.
With respect the question, relying on an agent to get you commercial work is about as much fun as watching grass grow. The truly succesful models that I know are in constant contact with clients and potential clients. Yes, you need to push. Leave your comp card every place you can. I've seen girls who creatively sell themselves do very well in the  business.
Hope this helps

Thank you, I will take that advice as well smile

Nov 10 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Nora_Neko wrote:
Honestly with your height I doubt you'd get an agent.5'4" is short plus for commercial models they normallly dont want people who have done nudes.

Or....they want people with print books, and all the better if you can take the nudes out when you go to go-sees.....

Nov 10 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Daniela V wrote:

Or....they want people with print books, and all the better if you can take the nudes out when you go to go-sees.....

What's that mean?  That it is alright that I have done nudes before? or no?

sorry for all the questions *shy*

Nov 10 06 08:35 pm Link