Forums > General Industry > Friend Requests

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Why would someone who doesn't know me, doesn't live near me, doesn't say "hello" or "nice work" ask to be my "friend" on this site?? I find it a little bit rude because I know that all that they really want is to get some free advertising on my page. So, instead of calling it a "friend request" I think we should change it to "free advertising requests". Agree or disagree??

Nov 08 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

of course thats what it is
it started with myspace, yeah right like you have 8734682374612092378965 frinds...
i kno who you are

but at this point ive stopped caring
its whatever

Nov 08 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

I agree - but honestly, it's free advertising for you as well - because when you add them, you get bumped to the top of their page too.

Just be selective about who you add - only add people who's work you like. smile

Saryn

Nov 08 06 11:50 am Link

Hair Stylist

Positively Beautiful

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Saryn Angel wrote:
I agree - but honestly, it's free advertising for you as well - because when you add them, you get bumped to the top of their page too.

Just be selective about who you add - only add people who's work you like. smile

Saryn

Gotcha :-)

Nov 08 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

I had one model tag me and send a friend request, she's local to me.
I've sent her numberous emails to talk about a shoot but she doesn't reply.
And all messages have been read and I've even seen her on the shout box.
So I delete the tag, comments and friend requests....simple.

There's another one from Texas, same thing.  Saw her on the Shout Box the other day, tried to talk to her but I was ignored....so I hit the delete key.

Nov 08 06 11:53 am Link

Model

K Ann

Renton, Washington, US

You never know. I don't want to count anyone out. I take it as an offer to work anytime we get the chance.

Nov 08 06 11:53 am Link

Model

tark

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

omg tell me about it.. it say this in bold letters on my port that SAY SOMETHING to me before addin me as a friend..and some people dont even care enough to read my port to see this request!!!!!!
it pisses me off soooooooo bad its not even funny

Nov 08 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

It's just networking, some works better than others.

If I tag a model, it's because I want to work with them. If it's a photographer, I admire their work. That simple.

Like the previous poster said, those who hit the add friend button, but can't hit the reply button on a PM, are subject to deletion...lol.

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Hair By Shelli wrote:
Why would someone who doesn't know me, doesn't live near me, doesn't say "hello" or "nice work" ask to be my "friend" on this site?? I find it a little bit rude because I know that all that they really want is to get some free advertising on my page. So, instead of calling it a "friend request" I think we should change it to "free advertising requests". Agree or disagree??

AGREE!!! I have put on my page not to send blind friend req....but people still do, I just don't approve them.

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Advertising isn't a bad thing, for anyone. The primary reason most of us are here. If I admire someone's work, or just like 'em why not ask for a friend req....not like I'm asking for a date or session with them. Don't always have the presence of mind to compose an original tag, if they've already got a ton of 'em. And probably won't have time, motivation to reply to 'em all.
I'm kinda flattered by most friend requests... as I'm no celebrity

Nov 08 06 12:00 pm Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

howard..
NOT ME RIGHT???
im a cool tx girl! smile

Nov 08 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

JordanDanielle wrote:
howard..
NOT ME RIGHT???
im a cool tx girl! smile

Lol...Jordan, it's not you.
smile

Nov 08 06 12:04 pm Link

Model

Natalie Addams

If they're not local, maybe they are planning to travel, and wanted to keep you in mind.

My "friends" are only people that I would work with, so when I am planning to travel, I look through my friends and see who I can/should work with.

Nov 08 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Neda Asli wrote:
omg tell me about it.. it say this in bold letters on my port that SAY SOMETHING to me before addin me as a friend..and some people dont even care enough to read my port to see this request!!!!!!
it pisses me off soooooooo bad its not even funny

I have it in bold in my port as well....either people can't read or they do it on purpose to piss me off...but I don't get pissed off I just hit .
smile

Nov 08 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

Howard Garcia wrote:

Lol...Jordan, it's not you.
smile

PHEW!

wink

Nov 08 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

kevbailey

Hemet, California, US

I can understand your point.  I for one, add friends based on whether or not I admire their portfolio.  Some are photographers, some are models.  Some I will have the oppurtunity to work with and some I won't, due to distance, most likely.  I have sent messages to several models asking for the "OK" to add them, with no reply, however once I went ahead and sumitted the request, it was approved!  Go figure.  LOL

I do wish, though, that they had a box to add some kind of greeting to go along with the request.  That way we could at least type a quick note to add a reason for the friend request.

Nov 08 06 12:09 pm Link

Model

Brandon Beecham

Katy, Texas, US

I've had my share of requests too lately, but its good for me because I could use the boost since I'm still a newbie to the industry.

Speakin' of which, get in touch with me if you like my port at all smile

Good day folks!

Nov 08 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I add people who have work I like and I want to keep up with as far as what they are doing.  I assume people sending me requests are doing the same thing.  I mean, someone adds me as they like the type of work I do and they want to see my updates and travel info, etc.  If they email, cool, if not, cool...I don't care...it doesn't hurt me to add them.  I have never considered friends lists on here or myspace to mean people who are actually friends...they are networking sites after all.

Nov 08 06 12:13 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

i am so sending the op a friend request smile

Nov 08 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Prescott Photo

Howard Garcia wrote:

I have it in bold in my port as well....either people can't read or they do it on purpose to piss me off...but I don't get pissed off I just hit .
smile

I agree with this.  I have the same thing on my page and they don't even take the time to read it.  I extremely shorten my bio so more people can see no TFP and that if you don't say anything or comment that I don't add as friend and still everyday I get emails from models wanting TFP or friend request with no comments.  I just delete the friend request also unless, like it was stated earlier, they are in my area and maybe in some way I can use them in the future.

Nov 08 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I try to limit my friends both here and on myspace to people who I actually know, would like to work with, or feel really sorry for (have to go through my portfolio and delete some of those). I only send friend requests to those whose work I really admire or those model with whom I would like to work with or follow their work.

Nov 08 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

I usually do it just a way of keeping the people I like stored in a safe place.

Nov 08 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Prescott Photo

kevbailey wrote:
I can understand your point.  I for one, add friends based on whether or not I admire their portfolio.  Some are photographers, some are models.  Some I will have the oppurtunity to work with and some I won't, due to distance, most likely.  I have sent messages to several models asking for the "OK" to add them, with no reply, however once I went ahead and sumitted the request, it was approved!  Go figure.  LOL

I do wish, though, that they had a box to add some kind of greeting to go along with the request.  That way we could at least type a quick note to add a reason for the friend request.

When there is someone's work that I admire, I just ad as a favorite and I can check them out from time to time like that, plus its easier to find them that way.

Nov 08 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Infinite Eye

New York, New York, US

It's always good to have more people have heard your name (in any business!), and to be in some contact with as many people as possible in your field.  The only reason not to add someone is if you don't like or feel comfortable with their work.

BTW, I have two myspace accounts, one for only people that are my rl friends, and another for photography.  I don't add anyone I don't know on my personal page, but on my business page, anything(one) goes!

Nov 08 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Speaking only for myself, I make friend requests to models I'd like to photograph and photogs I'd like to open a dialouge with. It's easier if I can fine them on my own page. Since the majority of those on my list live within a four hour drive, I see it as building my network. I mainly make friend requests to newly joined people, so they benefit from free promotion more than I do. This is a networking site, look at a friend request as an opportunity, not a nuisance.

Nov 08 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:
Speaking only for myself, I make friend requests to models I'd like to photograph and photogs I'd like to open a dialouge with. It's easier if I can fine them on my own page. Since the majority of those on my list live within a four hour drive, I see it as building my network. I mainly make friend requests to newly joined people, so they benefit from free promotion more than I do. This is a networking site, look at a friend request as an opportunity, not a nuisance.

bingo.

Nov 08 06 12:46 pm Link