Forums > General Industry > Model Sharking

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Just wondering if any photographers have experienced model sharking through MM, Myspace,OMP,etc

Model sharking= Photographer sees a model on your friends list and/or knows she wants/plans to work with you. Photographer contacts her trash talking you hoping to get her to pose for him and not for you. Model cancels shoots with you and works with the other guy.

I had a couple photographers do this with my myspace account a couple years back and even proved it.

I eventually had to get some coding from myspace to add to my profile so my friends list was only visible to me.

Nov 08 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

As far as I know this has never happened to me. But models rarely if ever contact me from here or anywhere else for that matter. So, I don't think the opportunity for "sharking" ever comes up.

Nov 08 06 03:11 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Yep. And I too keep my friend list hidden. I'm getting ready to go nap, but I'll post more on this tomorrow...

Oh, and there is a way to view someone's friend list, even with it being hidden by the coding. If you want to know how to do it, let me know. wink

Nov 08 06 03:12 am Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

that's just dumb. Why would the model not just shoot with both of you? And why would a photographer diss you like that?? people are stupid..what's with the dog marking everywhere? Are model like fire hydrants?????

Nov 08 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Rossi Photography wrote:
Yep. And I too keep my friend list hidden. I'm getting ready to go nap, but I'll post more on this tomorrow...

Oh, and there is a way to view someone's friend list, even with it being hidden by the coding. If you want to know how to do it, let me know. wink

I wanna!

Nov 08 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Annique Delphine wrote:
that's just dumb. Why would the model not just shoot with both of you? And why would a photographer diss you like that?? people are stupid..what's with the dog marking everywhere? Are model like fire hydrants?????

photographer a spreads rumor to model about photographer b, model believes rumor, cancels photographer b shoot and wont have anything to do with him and works for photographer a instead.
why would a photographer do this? Why do people steal other girls boyfriends away and vic versa...They want them and will do what it takes to make sure they get them.

Nov 08 06 03:48 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I wanna!

it's easy...just click the view friends link from someone else's page... then replace their number in the url, with the other person's number

Nov 08 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Iris Swope wrote:

it's easy...just click the view friends link from someone else's page... then replace their number in the url, with the other person's number

that just enables you to see the profile of the person whose number you just put in,no?

Nov 08 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Shaun Lang

Los Angeles, California, US

I've shot a few models here on MM and have never had a problem with this.  First, I always meet with the model first which gives us the opportunity to talk and get a feel for each others styles.  I even bring tear sheets (examples from magazines, other photo shoots, etc.) to come up with some ideas and get the creative juices flowing.  Often we will shoot somewhere close for five minutes...I send the model three of the best shots.  If she/he likes what they see we move forward...you establish A: You're serious. B: You're trustworthy C. Your talented.  This entire process takes between 30min and an hour.  Why would anyone not want to shoot with you?  Keep shooting:)

Nov 08 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Shaun Lang wrote:
I've shot a few models here on MM and have never had a problem with this.  First, I always meet with the model first which gives us the opportunity to talk and get a feel for each others styles.  I even bring tear sheets (examples from magazines, other photo shoots, etc.) to come up with some ideas and get the creative juices flowing.  Often we will shoot somewhere close for five minutes...I send the model three of the best shots.  If she/he likes what they see we move forward...you establish A: You're serious. B: You're trustworthy C. Your talented.  This entire process takes between 30min and an hour.  Why would anyone not want to shoot with you?  Keep shooting:)

Some people are very good liars.

Nov 08 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

photographer a spreads rumor to model about photographer b, model believes rumor, cancels photographer b shoot and wont have anything to do with him and works for photographer a instead.
why would a photographer do this? Why do people steal other girls boyfriends away and vic versa...They want them and will do what it takes to make sure they get them.

If a model would believe what someone else tells them about me instead of what they see about me with their own eyes or hear with their own ears I'm not sure that I want to shoot with them. Before anyone says anything I know all about references, and i agree with getting references about someone you don't know, but I also think that a model (and photographer) should go with their gut instinct after conversingwith the other person.

Nov 08 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

I know a few photographers here in NC that won’t work with a model if they have already shot with certain other photographers. Dumb shit. I imagine they talk trash about the other photographers to the models also. Of course they think they are some kinda photo God too lol.

Nov 08 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Yes they are, but you should trust yourself. If your inner voice is saying something that contradicts the lie then believe yourself.

Nov 08 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

If a model would believe what someone else tells them about me instead of what they see about me with their own eyes or hear with their own ears I'm not sure that I want to shoot with them. Before anyone says anything I know all about references, and i agree with getting references about someone you don't know, but I also think that a model (and photographer) should go with their gut instinct after conversingwith the other person.

I agree with all that but the references. Those are no good to me.Maybe it is because I have been in the position of hiring people for the kitchens ive worked in.But think about it,who is gonna give a bad reference when you ask for references?

Nov 08 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Yes they are, but you should trust yourself. If your inner voice is saying something that contradicts the lie then believe yourself.

oh I believe in myself.Confidence is no issue for me. Just thought I would see if this happened to anyone else.

Nov 08 06 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Shaun Lang

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Nov 08 06 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Shaun Lang

Your work doesn't lie.

S

Nov 08 06 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Shaun Lang wrote:
Your work doesn't lie.

S

True. The only way to see why their lies worked was to get inside the models head I guess.  I talked to a couple after the fact ,disproved the lies and they really felt bad.

Nov 08 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

I had something similar to this happen to me years back...though it was with me as a model. There was a photographer that I had worked with that apparently ended up bad-mouthing a photographer that I wanted to work with. So, since photographer B saw that I had worked with photographer A, he decided he wasn't going to work with me, just for spite.

Rumors can ruin jobs for a lot of people...no matter if the rumor is true or not, it can cause harm to those involved.

Nov 08 06 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Just wondering if any photographers have experienced model sharking through MM, Myspace,OMP,etc

Model sharking= Photographer sees a model on your friends list and/or knows she wants/plans to work with you. Photographer contacts her trash talking you hoping to get her to pose for him and not for you. Model cancels shoots with you and works with the other guy.

I had a couple photographers do this with my myspace account a couple years back and even proved it.

I eventually had to get some coding from myspace to add to my profile so my friends list was only visible to me.

I believe it happens to me but I don't have proof.  Lately I had some shoots cancelled by the model maybe to shoot with another photographer.  When a photographer does this to another photographer it only shows how insecure he/she is.  The internet (OMP, MM, Musecube, etc) is the worst place to get reliable models.  I say there are less than 10% of the models who are serious about modelling, professional and commited.

Nov 08 06 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Wayne Chow Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BeccaAnnPhotoGal wrote:
Rumors can ruin jobs for a lot of people...no matter if the rumor is true or not, it can cause harm to those involved.

That's why there are slander and defamation laws.

Nov 08 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

oh I believe in myself.Confidence is no issue for me. Just thought I would see if this happened to anyone else.

I didn't say 'believe in' I said trust as in trust your instincts about someone.

Nov 08 06 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I didn't say 'believe in' I said trust as in trust your instincts about someone.

Misread, 2:30 amitis,lol

Nov 08 06 04:17 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Annique Delphine wrote:

I've had a photographer do this before.  I didn't really pay attention, but I'm sure other girls will.

Nov 08 06 04:20 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

waynesglamgirls wrote:

That's why there are slander and defamation laws.

So very true.

Nov 08 06 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

BeccaNDSouth wrote:

So very true.

I guess i'm weird, I listen to what people say about other people but reserve judgement until I meet the other person

Nov 08 06 04:33 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I guess i'm weird, I listen to what people say about other people but reserve judgement until I meet the other person

It all depends with me...I guess it depends on what is being said about the person. If it is something completely idiotic being said about the person, I tend to shake it off. I don't like to judge people strictly on hear-say. I wait until I have spoken to the person in question myself, and then decide for myself.

Rumors are evil...plain and simple.

Nov 08 06 04:43 am Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

I guess I'm lucky. I might hear from a photographer that a model said she wasn't thrilled with the other photographer, but they never trash talk and let me find out for myself because it might just be a case of chemistry between those two, not his/her overall personality.

N.

Nov 08 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes. I've had this happen. And eventually they talk shit to someone who actually knows me or has shot with me several times and then I find out about it. I used to get all worked up about it. But then I'd get into a big pissing match and eventually the model who's in the middle of the battle decides, "Fuck it!" and shoots with neither of us. So, I find it's better to just blow it off and let people believe what they want to believe. I have plenty of my regulars to shoot with that it's not going to kill me if one or two new ones get away.

Nov 08 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

welcome to the real world. people talk , SOME people listen

Nov 08 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Ive had this happen as well... photog with the initials dh but I won't say the losers name. All I know if that I was supposed to shoot with a model who was going to shoot with this guy and the next thing I know she is saying stupid things so I blew her dumbass off, don't even see her around anymore so I guess he did wonders for her.

It is really a sad situation. Even if I don't like someone personally I wouldn't say don't work with that photographer, but thats just me.

Nov 08 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

joeyk

Seminole, Florida, US

With the number of models on here that have made appointments and then cancelled or no-showed, I have suspected such, but never heard of it the way you described it.

It the real world studio biz, it's worse, way worse.

Nov 08 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I wanna!

Okay, I'll shoot you a message. smile

Nov 08 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Garcia

New York, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

It hasn't happened to me in Myspace but it has happened here.
A popular Conneticut model contacted me about shooting, we had several MM mail and email exchanges about schedulling the shoot. Suddenly she quit talking to me.
I can't prove it but I know this local photographer who shoots with her on a regular basis and who I had a falling out with, trash talk to her about me and caused her to quit talking to me.

But you know what?   I just go...NEXT!
smile

Nov 08 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

Lady - JADE

Dallas, Texas, US

ive had that happen to me so many times i cant even count
ive never heard so much sht talking as when i started modeling
i dont think ive ever spoken to a photographer who hasnt talked sht about every other photog that comes up in conversation
this isnt like just a few
its every one
it actually makes me lose respect for the sht talking photog...
its also annoying as hell
SO DONT DO IT! smile

Nov 08 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I don't think it's been done to me in this way.  I think I've had a few TFP shoots cancelled/no shows because another photographer offered $$. 
Sad to hear it happens, I'd rather be working on shoots than talking sh*t.

Nov 08 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

lol it has happen to me, but the models never cancel on me from those guys cause they see my work and they know i am better than those guys bashing me

Nov 08 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Any model that would cancel a shoot because another photographer changed her mind by spreading a rumor isn't worth the time it would take to defend the rumor. Incredibly immature in every aspect but it sounds very myspace. Sometimes I just have to shake my head...

Nov 08 06 01:09 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

I've seen this personally.  From the outside looking in, it looks like high school all over again.  I try to stay as drama-free as possible and make my own judgements.  Now, if I personally know a photographer and another one tries to talk smack on them for the sake of 'turning' me....I'll set them straight.

Nov 08 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

JordanDanielle wrote:
ive had that happen to me so many times i cant even count
ive never heard so much sht talking as when i started modeling
i dont think ive ever spoken to a photographer who hasnt talked sht about every other photog that comes up in conversation
this isnt like just a few
its every one
it actually makes me lose respect for the sht talking photog...
its also annoying as hell
SO DONT DO IT! smile

It's not just a few? It's every one? I highly doubt that every photographer bashes other photographers. If they are you're dealing with very unprofessional photographers. I've never bashed another photographer even if I've been less than awed by their work. I also don't think other photographers using common models are bashing me. Then again...how would I know? Oh God...which one of you pieces of shit are talking crap about me? smile

Nov 08 06 01:13 pm Link