Forums > General Industry > What would you do if .... ??

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

If you did TFCD with a model (who claims to be an amature photographer), a few times ... and you notice in the photos she is posting (that she took) are blatent copies of your work that you did with her.

same place , same pose , and even similar editing style (same filters and such , just not done as well) ... done with friends of hers...

she obviously doesnt have the equipment or eye that i have , but its just the fact that shes trying to copy ...

i feel like she is shooting with me to spy on my technique ....

Nov 06 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Ya know that kinda happened to me... Suck it up and move on...I would like to see the similarities!!

Nov 06 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Take it as a compliment, you are her inspiration.

RB

Nov 06 06 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

i dont mind that much , although when i confronted her , she claimed that i was wrong and her work if origional ...

that pissed me off ... im not stupid ... 10 days after shooting with me , she posts new pics that look more similar to mine than they should ...

its just the fact that you should be able to trust people you create art with ... theres a kinship there that shouldnt be betrayed ...

Nov 06 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Yerkes Photography wrote:
its just the fact that you should be able to trust people you create art with ... theres a kinship there that shouldnt be betrayed ...

Where the eff do you live? Cause that sentence sounds like you live in la la land....NEVER trust anyone....

Nov 06 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

If you did TFCD with a model (who claims to be an amature photographer), a few times ... and you notice in the photos she is posting (that she took) are blatent copies of your work that you did with her.

same place , same pose , and even similar editing style (same filters and such , just not done as well) ... done with friends of hers...

she obviously doesnt have the equipment or eye that i have , but its just the fact that shes trying to copy ...

I'm a, well used to be, a model also... Everything I learned, I learned from a photographer I shot with, or saw shoot.

It's perfectly normal.... I've seen lots of models compliment a photo of mine, and a week later, end up with a photo that looks like it. As long as you're better, be happy. If you're not better, work harder smile

Nov 06 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Dee wrote:

Where the eff do you live? Cause that sentence sounds like you live in la la land....NEVER trust anyone....

yeah , thats the harshness of being betrayed talking ...

you must have missed the SHOULD in both of those statments ...

Nov 06 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

yeah , thats the harshness of being betrayed talking ...

you must have missed the SHOULD in both of those statments ...

nah didnt miss them but I dont think that way...NEVER have....I lost my innocense back at about 15....long story that I dont need to get into..I just can read people, I trust who should be trusted and I can smell ya coming a mile away if you a rotten terd....

Nov 06 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Iris Swope wrote:

I'm a, well used to be, a model also... Everything I learned, I learned from a photographer I shot with, or saw shoot.

It's perfectly normal.... I've seen lots of models compliment a photo of mine, and a week later, end up with a photo that looks like it. As long as you're better, be happy. If you're not better, work harder smile

i understand that people learn from others ... im fine with that ...
but the same location ... same pose ... and similar editing  is rediculous ...

then posting them as origional , pisses me off ...

theyre not nearly as good ... im not threatened at alll ....
i just think its really bad fourm ... not somthing to be done ...

i cant work with someone i feel is going to copy me ...

Nov 06 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

i cant work with someone i feel is going to copy me ...

Easy solution....dont work with her again....

Nov 06 06 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

heres a abd example of what im talking about ...

had to copy the thumbnails ... but you can get the idea ...

and remember , her shots were all taken within a week or two of mine ... and she was on said shoots ...

https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/calliesmom/matt/Project1-1.jpg

Nov 06 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i've seen that happen so many times.
she's probably not doing it on purpose.
this reminds me of the american beauty rose petals pic.

Nov 06 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Dee wrote:

You drinking tonight? smile

Nov 06 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

JM Dean wrote:

You drinking tonight? smile

I effin wish....

Nov 06 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Dee wrote:

yeah , that pretty much what im saying...

just wondering what you think about the subject , and if anyone had anything to speak to about it ...

Nov 06 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Dee wrote:

I effin wish....

You're all over the place. Never seen you so active smile

Back on topic wink

Nov 06 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

yeah , that pretty much what im saying...

just wondering what you think about the subject , and if anyone had anything to speak to about it ...

Here come here....~HUGS~ ITS OK!! she is inspired by you....embrace it....

Nov 06 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

JM Dean wrote:

You're all over the place. Never seen you so active smile

Back on topic wink

Rough night and I am venting on everyone else...shew I feel better!

xoxo

Nov 06 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Dee wrote:

Rough night and I am venting on everyone else...shew I feel better!

xoxo

LOL. Well heres to a better tomorrow. And I'll drink one for ya smile

Nov 06 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Dee wrote:

Here come here....~HUGS~ ITS OK!! she is inspired by you....embrace it....

thanks for the hug ... that was great !... i feel soooo much better now .... wheres those drinks  .... ????

btw .... i loved this on your page :

"ATTENTION ALL TFP's

My TFP slots are very limited, if you cancel, even in advance, there are NO reschedules. Both of our time is very valuable, so if you schedule a shoot, TFP or paid, it is in your best interest to keep your appointment! "

can i buy the rights to use that on my page ??? ... lol

Nov 06 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

thanks for the hug ... that was great !... i feel soooo much better now .... wheres those drinks  .... ????

btw .... i loved this on your page :

"ATTENTION ALL TFP's

My TFP slots are very limited, if you cancel, even in advance, there are NO reschedules. Both of our time is very valuable, so if you schedule a shoot, TFP or paid, it is in your best interest to keep your appointment! "

can i buy the rights to use that on my page ??? ... lol

Oh hell no that would be copying me.....

tongue

Nov 06 06 11:24 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Dee wrote:
Oh hell no that would be copying me.....

tongue

i purposely said "buy the rights to use" ... lol ...
so i wouldnt get caught in my own trap ...

edit :  wink

Nov 06 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

i purposely said "buy the rights to use" ... lol ...
so i wouldnt get caught in my own trap ...

DAMMIT....I missed that part....ok 1.5 mill and we are good!!!

Nov 06 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Dee wrote:

DAMMIT....I missed that part....ok 1.5 mill and we are good!!!

deal ! ! !

what would you like ... 1.5 million :
salt crystals ...
grains of sand ....
leaves ... (i'll give you 1.75mil in those ... i have tons right now)
pumpkin seeds ...

let me know how you want that 1.5mil ... and i'll fed-ex it to you ...

Nov 06 06 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

deal ! ! !

what would you like ... 1.5 million :
salt crystals ...
grains of sand ....
leaves ... (i'll give you 1.75mil in those ... i have tons right now)
pumpkin seeds ...

let me know how you want that 1.5mil ... and i'll fed-ex it to you ...

1.5 mill wads of dough!!!

Nov 06 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

OK g'nite!

Nov 06 06 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

hmmm..whitch ones are yours and whitch ones are hers?

Nov 06 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

XposurePhoto wrote:

hard to see them , being so small .. hers are on the left ...

Nov 06 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

RBDesign wrote:
Take it as a compliment, you are her inspiration.

^^^

Nov 06 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

btw ... thank you all for your input ...

Nov 06 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

XposurePhoto wrote:

LOL is that a serious question? because it's pretty funny as a joke

Nov 06 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Annique Delphine wrote:

LOL is that a serious question? because it's pretty funny as a joke

yeah , i thought it was a joke too ... but i ignored it ...

it is kinda funny , but it would be funnier about someone else ...

Nov 06 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

All of us tried to copy those we like when we started out.If for no other reason than to see how they did it so we could then apply the techniques in our own ways.

Nov 06 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

It's understandable that you're irritated. But I think you can relax about the fact that she does not have your skills and that you'll always be a step ahead of her.

I had an assistant once for a shoot and I told him it was cool for him to bring his camera and shoot too. But then when I set up the photo and art directed it and he just snapped away basicly taking the same picture I was taking it did irritate me..but what did I think was going to happen? Now when i see his photos I am kinda pissed about it but I can't blame him.

Nov 06 06 11:53 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well, although the ideas aren't that original where her work is concerned, I suppose you could see this as a form of flattery? wink

Nov 06 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
All of us tried to copy those we like when we started out.If for no other reason than to see how they did it so we could then apply the techniques in our own ways.

agreed .... but did you go out and model to copy the photogrpaher ... then deny that you copied ...

if she asked me to teach her , or to assist me .... it would be completely different ...

even if she said , i like your work and i want to try to replicate it ... thats ok ...

my problem is the dishonesty ... going "undercover" as a model and "spying" on my process ...

if i had never met her , and she had seen them on the net , and tried to copy  ... i wouldnt care ... but shes there when i take them ... she has access to inside info ...

Nov 06 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Saw your shots and hers, why are you losing sleep over this, people often try to copy just for practice to see if they can get the same look and quality.

Obviously she has to keep on practicing, which is fine.

The don't look close enough to yours in style or quality, someone might think she saw your work and did the same theme, but didn't do it as good, so why give it another thought.

I had some shots in my portfolio and I have seen almost the exact thing in Vogue and a commercial ad!  This was after I took the shots!  But I can be sure no one copied my work, it just was by chance.

You should be happy she is trying to see if she comes up to your quality, she must think your ideas, style and work is worth trying to duplicate for practice.  So let her learn.

But if I were shooting with a friend and I wanted to do a shot say of a building and they took it before I did, I wouldn't take the shot after that, but that's just me.

Nov 07 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Imitation and flattery.

First, you need to apologize to her for going off on her with that conspiracy theory.

Next, offer her the opportunity to assist you on a few shoots. Teach her something and have fun. That's what this is all about, not protecting "your" shoot ideas, locations, techniques, etc.

It's obvious that she likes something in your images, but she doesn't know what it is, so she tries to replicate the shot. But once she learns *why* she likes your shots, she'll come up with her own ideas.

Nov 07 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Yerkes Photography

Kingston, New York, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Imitation and flattery.

First, you need to apologize to her for going off on her with that conspiracy theory.

Next, offer her the opportunity to assist you on a few shoots. Teach her something and have fun. That's what this is all about, not protecting "your" shoot ideas, locations, techniques, etc.

It's obvious that she likes something in your images, but she doesn't know what it is, so she tries to replicate the shot. But once she learns *why* she likes your shots, she'll come up with her own ideas.

first , i didnt go off .... i just asked her about it ...

second , had she said " yeah , i'd like to practice with some of your ideas " ... everything would have been fine .... i'm not a complete dik ... i mean , i give her tips on posing ... told her a few of the filters i use , and such ... i have no problem teaching anybody ...
but , her answer was ... " my work is completely origional " with an attitude.... that boils my balls , because i'm not stupid ...

all she had to do was be honest ... i guess its the dishonesty that burns me most ...

Nov 07 06 08:45 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have to agree with others here: Imitation is the highest form of flattery. Its going to happen, and you should be honored that she chose your shots. Even if she is out to try to get one up on you its obvious that she's got a LONG way to go before she can achieve that. Honestly, I don't think that the three shots are THAT similar. The boxing shot is the only one that I see a real parallel. The other two are sorta kinda the same, but I wouldn't have recognized that unless someone pointed it out to me. Honestly, it looks more like the location is what is similar - not the actual shot it self. Reading your original message I got the feeling that the shots were exact copies.

Trying to copy someone that is better than you is a good way to learn. As an art student way back when I was a young teenager one of our assignments was to replicate a painting by a master. I choose one that was full of colors and all sorts of things. I STRUGGLED with it, but it taught me SO much about color and how to achieve the precise color that I was going for. I had a friend that replicated the french painting that I can see in my mind but haven't a clue what the name is... Another friend of mine did Van Gogh's Starry Night. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done, but it sure refined my skills by leaps and bounds.

I don't think you should be upset. If its really that big of a deal to you, then simply don't shoot with her again. If you'd like to help someone gain some skills a little faster, then take her under your wing and say thanks for the complements, let me help you...

Nov 07 06 08:54 am Link