Forums > General Industry > how the heck do you get models to PAY on this site

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

So I have noticed that models always say they are really impressed with my work, but they quickly lose interest when they discover I do not shoot free tests (or tfp).  I am wondering if I am wasting my days informing models on this site of my upcoming shoots in various cities, and explaining why they need professional pictures or something other than a shot of them holding their shirt up in a bathroom mirror.  Can someone please shed some light on my non profitable problem? 

Cully Wright
[cwright]Photography

Nov 04 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Marry her... then she will be paiyng for it for the rest of her life.

Nov 04 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

MM isn't really a good source of paid testing.  If you have access to agency models, that's the way to go.  We're a bunch of TFP addict losers.  smile

Nov 04 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Most models on this site know if you wont shoot them for free someone else will. And most know they don’t need professional images to get into an agency. So basically yea. There are a few far and between naive ones. But this is Mayhem!

Nov 04 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

ya don''t.

Nov 04 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

bd miller

If you bother to look around, you will notice hundreds of professional and serious amatuer photographers on this site. They are here, like most of the models are, to network and collaborate to better their skills and their portfolio. No matter how good you may be you have nothing to offer that is beyond this. That is what this site is for. Not for either models or photographers to make money off of each other. You need to look elsewhere for those oportunities.

peace,

bd

Nov 04 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Shyly wrote:
MM isn't really a good source of paid testing.  If you have access to agency models, that's the way to go.  We're a bunch of TFP addict losers.  smile

One of the most honest post I've seen!!!  jh

Photographer

Eikona

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Generally speaking (enter Sweeping Generality) we photographers and models here cannot afford each other.  This is a great site to arrange testing, TFCD, TFP, what have you. But my ideal paying clients would be art directors, magazines, ad agencies, model agencies - folks with deep pockets who can fund me, my MUA, my prop stylist, my wardrobe stylist, my catered lunch, taxi fare, eqiupment rental and my model.

There are, I'm sure, notable exceptions and deviations, and they are all welcome to self-identify below.

Photographer

Thayer Photographic

Kentwood, Michigan, US

Shyly wrote:

yep yep... MM is a great place for TFP, but not such a great place for us photogs to make a dollar.

Nov 04 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Michael McGowan

Tucson, Arizona, US

If your business model is based primarily on getting models to pay you, you're destined to be broke and miserable.

Clients generate real income. Models, whether agency or elsewhere, will at best provide beer money, at least compared to what clients will generate.

So, spend the time finding real, paying clients and shoot models for fun.

Nov 04 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

bd miller

Nov 04 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Jefferson Dorsey

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What, you don't get paid?!

Nov 04 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

Well, thanks everyone. I do work with agencies, but thought that I would broaden my network on this site. But I do not shoot free tests (which I state clearly in my profile), so I guess what I was getting at I that if a model contacts me saying they want to shoot with me then I have to assume that they have in fact read my profile, looked at my pictures and then responded to inquire about my prices.  Silly me, thinking that if I write it out, people will understand. Thanks for your responses MM...

Nov 04 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

JM Dean wrote:
Most models on this site know if you wont shoot them for free someone else will. And most know they don’t need professional images to get into an agency. So basically yea. There are a few far and between naive ones. But this is Mayhem!

I disagree - to be marketed by an agency to clients top notch professional shots are required. jh

Nov 04 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

This is a whole different beast than what you might be used to. There are ways to make money. Just not in the traditional way. Think outside the box if you want to make money here.

Nov 04 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

C Wright Photography wrote:
Well, thanks everyone. I do work with agencies, but thought that I would broaden my network on this site. But I do not shoot free tests (which I state clearly in my profile), so I guess what I was getting at I that if a model contacts me saying they want to shoot with me then I have to assume that they have in fact read my profile, looked at my pictures and then responded to inquire about my prices.  Silly me, thinking that if I write it out, people will understand. Thanks for your responses MM...

Now their supposed to read too lol.

You will get a few inquires about rates but not many. Never hurts to leave up the port.

Nov 04 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

bd miller

Once again... looking to models as your client base for paying work is a dead end and will never amount to a career. You HIRE models to shoot for real clients that will pay you both.

Nov 04 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

well...it is hard enought to get a model to show up or even reply to a paid shoot...none the less pay us...I emailed last week to 20 models about a paying assignment and only 1 replied  and was not interested...needless to say I have not done the shoot and still emailing more..even post it with no replies...

but, there are a few willing to invest into a quality portfolio knowing that it will bring them more work if they have a better looking portfolio that looks professional...and even I have gotten paid shoots from models on this site and even from Myspace.

there is always an inteligent model out there (not naive)

Believe in your work...state your grounds.

XP

Nov 04 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

john hill wrote:

I disagree - to be marketed by an agency to clients top notch professional shots are required. jh

I agree, after they are signed only.

Nov 04 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

brad miller wrote:
Once again... looking to models as your client base for paying work is a dead end and will never amount to a career. You HIRE models to shoot for real clients that will pay you both.

got it. thanks for your help. Have a great night. smile

Nov 04 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

brad miller wrote:

Ding Ding Ding! Listen to this man.

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6396/jeeziz3.jpg

Photographer

Fotographic Aspirations

Long Beach, California, US

Maybe because I am in Los Angeles its different for me. In assisting models develop a body of work I gather new faces, and these are the first that I draw upon when paid work comes my way. New models get some of their first paid gigs, I get new faces for gigs at a fair price (far below calling an agency) its win / win. Now that is not to say flakes do not abound, but after some time you learn how to flush these out with ease.

Outside of LA / New York any big city not sure MM will do much good ??
If your selling your ability as a photographer , hard to do on a site that allows anyone sign up for free. 

FA

Nov 04 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

Afablb wrote:
Outside of LA / New York any big city not sure MM will do much good ??
If your selling your ability as a photographer , hard to do on a site that allows anyone sign up for free. 

FA

Thanks again. I do rely mostly on paid shoots from agencies and also local fashion designers... MM is far from being my sole source of income, I guess in the begining I should have rephrased my statement to say "I tend to not shoot free tests, is there any chance on MM that I can continue to book paying jobs"
THanks again to everyone who has contributed... CW

Nov 04 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

JM Dean wrote:

I agree, after they are signed only.

Agencies don't want to see nudes,swimwear or galmour shots when considering someone to represent.They want representative photography.  jh

Nov 04 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

john hill wrote:

Agencies don't want to see nudes,swimwear or galmour shots when considering someone to represent.They want representative photography.  jh

Or Polaroid’s smile

Nov 04 06 01:04 am Link

Model

Krisha

New York, New York, US

Eikona wrote:
Generally speaking (enter Sweeping Generality) we photographers and models here cannot afford each other.  This is a great site to arrange testing, TFCD, TFP, what have you. But my ideal paying clients would be art directors, magazines, ad agencies, model agencies - folks with deep pockets who can fund me, my MUA, my prop stylist, my wardrobe stylist, my catered lunch, taxi fare, eqiupment rental and my model.

There are, I'm sure, notable exceptions and deviations, and they are all welcome to self-identify below.

mmhmm deep wonderful pockets big_smile

Nov 04 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

i do have to say.. polaroids are an exception, but ive talked to models on this site and they dont know what the heck I am talking about when I talk about digitals or polaroids... they would rather treat this site like an extention to their myspace page...

Nov 04 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

i do have to say.. polaroids are an exception, but ive talked to models on this site and they dont know what the heck I am talking about when I talk about digitals or polaroids... they would rather treat this site like an extention to their myspace page...

That’s basically what it is. It’s not a professional modeling site. It’s just like OMP and the others. Except most models on here are brighter than the ones on OMP smile Not many internet models go to work for agencies. You and I both know that. And most models do to.

Nov 04 06 01:20 am Link

Photographer

Star

steal their wallets

Nov 04 06 01:21 am Link

Photographer

john hill

Louisville, Kentucky, US

JM Dean wrote:

Or Polaroid’s smile

Actually I've gotten a couple of accounts off of my polaroid image transfer shot.

Nov 04 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

... they would rather treat this site like an extention to their myspace page...

WeLL tHen JUsT saY you'LL maKe tHEm a StaR!

Nov 04 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

One other note Cully. Most models on this site are looking to get paid by photographers. Kinda screwed up but this is Mayhem smile

It’s really been discussed a few hundred times before on this site. Models wanting to be paid and photographers wanting to be paid. It’s a no win battle so that’s why most of us just shoot for the fun of it.

**edit** Now that I think about it, it seems the only ones getting paid on this site are the MUA's lol.

Nov 04 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Dude, I think there's a thread about you!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=87681

I don't know if it's really about you, but similar....

Nov 04 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

thats a hard one

Nov 04 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

CullyWright Photography

Iris Swope wrote:
Dude, I think there's a thread about you!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=87681

I don't know if it's really about you, but similar....

I dont think this is similar to me at all... did you read my threads and what I wrote? I value the fact that I have integrity in both my business and personal life. I am very clear about my prices and if a model is interested in working with me I let them know up front what the cost to them will be.  Thanks for the example and yes it is unfortunate for that model to have had to deal with someone trying to take advantage of her. Hope you have a great night. CW

Nov 04 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

I think it's like sex, guys are the ones that pay for it, not girls...because girls can get it anytime they want.  Anyone attractive enough to be a model is not going to have any trouble finding someone to shoot them for free.   Your work is nice enough but honestly, i know super-amazing-fantabulous photographers that do free tests,  i'm kinda suprised that you're expecting models to pay you.

Nov 04 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

S_D

Thats it, Ima Go to school to be uh MUA!

Nov 04 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

ya get what you pay for

Nov 04 06 02:48 am Link

Photographer

Josie Tan Photography

Clackamas, Oregon, US

I think models get paid here tho.. one way street.

Nov 04 06 02:54 am Link