Forums > General Industry > Models how far would you travel for TFP/CD?

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

theda wrote:
I doubt I'd ever travel more than 100 miles for a TFP. Actually, it's unusual for me to travel more than 100 miles for any shoot.

hello, you live in NY, isn't everything just 20 minutes away?

Jan 21 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

The presumption is that models should travel to photographers?

My routine is to photograph women while on business travel (which does get me everywhere eventually).  But my last two photoshoots were in Winnipeg and Dallas, and I flew from San Diego to these places specifically to photograph Ashley, Uma and Devi.  Chantel was a lucky bonus.

Today I'm riding the rocket bike (VFR800 Interceptor) to Hollywood and hiring a funky motel room for the photoshoot with Trish.  I think the wallpaper has a rooster motif.

A partial explanation here is that the density of suitably beautiful and fearless models wanting to do this erotic work for images is not as great as those that prefer to be pretty or glamourous or cute.  While I'm also willing to fly some exceptional models to San Diego, I enjoy travelling myself.

I will go anywhere at my own cost if I think it will result in one photograph worth putting in the folio.  No, not this online portfolio, but the real one.

-Don

P.S.  I have had models travel at their own expense from New York, Missouri, Montana and Virginia to work exclusively with me.

Jan 21 06 09:37 am Link

Model

Kataxenna

London, England, United Kingdom

If I knew I was going to get some really great shots then it wouldn't bother me that it's TFP. I personally don't do this for the money

Jan 21 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I would definately travel for TFP if I could manage it easier.
I don't drive, so it makes it more difficult, plus there's no trains or buses near me.

Bill

Jan 21 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

I seem to get a lot of" I would love to but, my god, you`re so far away" . The sad thing is, I most often get it from models who are within 25 minutes of me.I on the other hand have gone so far as to drive two hours to pick a model up, take her back to my studio when I had one, do the shoot, then drive her 2 hours back home and then come back to my studio after to clean up and get ready for the next shoot.

Jan 21 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I went all the way to the Bronx once, but I made the MUA drive. smile

Jan 21 06 11:54 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

so far, i have drove 3 hours! to columbus!  I'll drive further for TFP and make it worth my wild.  I'd make it on the weekend and maybe try to shoot with two photogs and just enjoy it as a free weekend!

I'm willing to travel to do TFP wink I like to travel ~hint hint~

Jan 21 06 11:54 am Link

Model

DaniP

Los Angeles, California, US

I traveled 2,000 miles for a TFP. From LA to FL and it was worth it. My food was paid for and the photogpher gave me spending money and I would do it again.
-Danielle

Jan 21 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

I have a model traveling 4 hrs tomorrow to shoot with me for 3 hours and then she is going back. Her idea... so I BETTER get her some great shots.

I am planning on paying for her gas but she doesn't know that yet (just decided after reading these posts).

Jan 21 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

DaniP wrote:
and the photogpher gave me spending money
-Danielle

Then that wasn`t tfp lol

Jan 21 06 12:59 pm Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Well I have done a TFP in Las Vegas-but I was there on a vacation- I have no problem traveling if I can fit it in my schedule....

Jan 21 06 07:10 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Bryan Benoit wrote:
I have a model traveling 4 hrs tomorrow to shoot with me for 3 hours and then she is going back. Her idea... so I BETTER get her some great shots.

I am planning on paying for her gas but she doesn't know that yet (just decided after reading these posts).

See that's sweet!

Jan 21 06 07:50 pm Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

as long as I can get a friend to make the treck with me & make a fun weekend of it I'll travel anywhere within the state. I'm also looking to set up a few shoots when I travel to england, scotland & wales. also later this year when I travel up to atlanta. Since a friend of mine lives in harrisburg pa even going up there for a long weekend for shoots in the area are a possibility. I'm even thinking of hitting san diego comicon next year as an excuse to get out to ca.

Jan 22 06 02:01 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Well, if I really wanted to work with the photographer and they were willing to cover expenses, I'd fly anywhere they wanted, even over to Europe; but the odds of someone wanting a particular model that bad are slim unless you are really well known.  I always try to be reasonable and try to help cover expenses when things are collaborative, but when someone offers to help pay for something, it makes the decision to work with them a lot easier.

Jan 22 06 04:15 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

That's a great question and in my opinion, it depends on how great you think that photographer's work is. That and whether or not you really, really want their work in your port. I don't have a problem travelling to a photographer, in fact I'll be doing just that in March. My problem is if it's a shoot you as the model are paying for, is this photographer willing to cut you a small discount of some sort. If the model has to pay for transportation, a place to stay, for the shoot, hair, make-up and clothing, isn't it reasonable to give a small discount? I'm not saying 50%, but maybe 15 or 20%? If the photographer would drive/fly to the model, I'm sure they would expect to be paid, so what's the difference for the model?

Jan 22 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I had a model travel over 100 miles each way by train today.. WoooooooWhooooooo!!!

That's cuz you're the shit... Though I had a couple models come from across the globe to shoot with me TFP. One from the UK one from Australia and another from South Africa.... I felt sooo honored that they did that.

Jan 22 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

BANKS

East Orange, New Jersey, US

I have models fly in from atl , virgina beach , louisiana and take the fast train from dc in two hours .

it realy based on the wk you are putting out and then hte models don't mind traveling .
a true model will go that extra mile .
sometimes you have a potentail model almost next door and they are harder to get to than someone far away .

---------------BANKS------------

Jan 22 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I have to feel you on that!  I have also been 'stiffed on the images'.  So, extremely selective TFPs for now...

Christine 16 wrote:
We shot for 8 hours. Five months later, I have yet to receive a CD or any e-mailed images.

It seems that many photogs see no reason to actually provide the images from a TFP/TFCD.

Now, unless the photographer had impeccable references, breathtaking images, would actually (and actively) do something for my career (read - tearsheets), and will sign a legally binding agreement that I'll get the images with 6 weeks time, I won't budge from this state for a TFP/TFCD.

Jan 22 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

As far as I know the longest was a model who drove nine hours each way to shoot, although three to four hour drives have been fairly common.  What's interesting, is that the models covering the most distance seldom have asked for money.

But then... I travel so much on business, it's just a matter of patience.  Sooner or later I'll be within range of half the models in the U.S.

Jan 22 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Miss Tempe 2006

for a tfcd with johnny crosslin..... I would walk through the arizona desert....the entire state on New Mexico and half way accross texas...... I love you Johnny!

lol

-Melissa Mason

Jan 23 06 02:02 am Link

Model

safiraangel

Killeen, Texas, US

Unfortunately for me my car died so travelling was a bit hard for me to do for a while. Luckily for me though my boyfriend's Sifu is in Austin so I'm arranging my trips up there to shoot to coincide with the days that he goes up to train since we're normally up there for the whole day. It's cool  because really soon he'll be going up there once or twice a week so I can arrange alot of shoots. I love to travel and am working on some trips up north since my family's up in Michigan and more trips around Texas. MY favorite trip so far was to Houston because my daughter and my roommate drove me and while I shot he took her exploring and we all had a blast.

Jan 23 06 02:25 am Link

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've done an extensive amount of TFP/CD travel with my expenses paid... I love to travel.

It makes it easier on the photographer cause he most likely knows a lot of great locations or has a studio in the area and it makes it a HELL of a lot easier on me because I don't have to scout out locations in an area that I haven't lived in for very long.

I travel to Colorado every few months for family but now have found a FANTASTIC photographer there that I absolutely love to work with. He is paying my travel expenses to fly me in this weekend... I don't expect anything else... this is my "hobby" and I've got a real job... plus I love to see the country! Needless to say though, my travel becomes limited to weekends because of my real job... it's definitley a bummer!

Jan 23 06 02:26 am Link