Forums > General Industry > Models how far would you travel for TFP/CD?

Photographer

Wes Adam

Somerset, New Jersey, US

I usually look for models that are within a couple of hours or less from me.  Figuring that most models don't want to travel for TFP/CD.  I know
that models will travel for pay.  How far would you travel if you feel that you can get some terrific images?  Would you drive up if your travel expenses were covered like gas, tolls and or food?  Would that be half or all?

Aug 20 05 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Matter Zone

Austin, Texas, US

I've had a model fly 1500 miles and pay her own travel expenses for a 3-day TFP. Did she think it was worth it? She is planning on doing it again!

On the other hand, I once drove 400 miles and the model drove 150 miles for a 3-day TFP. And she was a highly paid model! I did pay for her hotel room.

If you create a cool enough situation where the model is thrilled to be there, they will go the distance.

Aug 20 05 02:33 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

depends on the photographer and how motivated I am to work with him. If he paid travel expenses, and I felt he could help my port, I would do it.

The only way I would travel halfway across the country at my own expense would be to work with someone whose work I considered so valuable that the monetary price I was paying was worth what I was getting back in images/ prints.

Top end gallery photographers, when they give signed prints, are basically giving the model money. So, she is paying less for the prints than if she got them off a wall. And, she can have some pictures of herself taken by this artist to treasure as well.

Also, some artists, who do not have gallery work, have something that resonates with the model in a deep way. Depends on how much you want it, I guess.

Aug 20 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I just had a model fly from Fla to Philly to shoot with a photographer there and then drive across the state to shoot with me in Pittsburgh the next day.  I'm planning to return the favor and fly down to work with her in a month or so.  In the last few years, I've travelled to several states to work with people I thought were something special.  It all depends on what you want and what you're willing to do to accomplish it.

Aug 20 05 02:45 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Which reminds me Melvin...about those prints....

Aug 20 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Freelancer

Kingwood, West Virginia, US

A model from the Charlotte, NC. area once drove up to WV. at her own expense for a tfp bikini shoot for a calendar. But I ended up threatening legal action against the person who was suppose to produce the calendar to get the pics back.

Aug 20 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

A couple of hours is about normal for me too.  But I had a model come from Erie yesterday.  That's about 4 hrs.  Higher gas prices are going to affect this, I believe.

Paul

Aug 20 05 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

Wes Adam wrote:
I usually look for models that are within a couple of hours or less from me.  Figuring that most models don't want to travel for TFP/CD.  I know
that models will travel for pay.  How far would you travel if you feel that you can get some terrific images?  Would you drive up if your travel expenses were covered like gas, tolls and or food?  Would that be half or all?

I'll drive a half hour...maybe 45 mins if she's extra special.  I once worked with a model that was extra-extra-extra special.  During a break, I opened a 3-pak of Reese's P'butter cups and offered her one.  But she was extra-extra-extra special.

Aug 20 05 04:03 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I have plans to fly all over North America in 2006 for TFP of my choosing. smile

Aug 20 05 06:26 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm in LA and there are so many great photographers, stylists, etc. to work with here. But Lapis said it well...

Lapis wrote:
depends on the photographer and how motivated I am to work with him. If he paid travel expenses, and I felt he could help my port, I would do it.

The only way I would travel halfway across the country at my own expense would be to work with someone whose work I considered so valuable that the monetary price I was paying was worth what I was getting back in images/ prints.

I also move and travel often enough that traveling for a specific TFP/CD opportunity isn't often necessary - I happen to be in Texas, DC, New York, California, Brazil, Belize, etc. So catch me while I'm in town wink

Josie Nutter wrote:
I have plans to fly all over North America in 2006 for TFP of my choosing. smile

I did a similar trip in March of this year, and overall it was a good experience, but there were a few problems that happen even without traveling but somehow seem more prone with travel (no show, planning difficulties)

That said, I'm on tour through USA and Canada October through November, and look forward to opportunities that present. big_smile

Aug 20 05 06:46 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

I would love to do that. I am planning trips to certain places, but I don't know how many trips I can schedule. So I am looking for concentrations of good photogs!

I have my lists...

But, helping out with travel expenses never hurts either...just logistically. smile

Aug 20 05 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I had a model travel over 100 miles each way by train today.. WoooooooWhooooooo!!!

Aug 20 05 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Well Jacy Andrews went to Scotland with me for 11 days TFCD.  bs

Anybody else want to do SCOTLAND TFCD? bs

Aug 20 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Wes Adam wrote:

I thought Wes was looking for input from 'Models'?

Some of you photog just love to see your type in print. Must have been lack of attention as a kid.

Aug 20 05 10:11 pm Link

Model

Skyye

Hollis, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I had a model travel over 100 miles each way by train today.. WoooooooWhooooooo!!!

LOL.... It was only 1.5 hours away ( and I would do it again)

I have traveled to Texas for a TFP...but it also helped that I was visiting a good friend!!!!  If I travelk that far...the shoot is usually secondary!!!

Aug 20 05 10:19 pm Link

Model

Skyye

Hollis, New York, US

I will travel if my time permits and expenses are paid!!! but if it only to a neighboring state like Jersy or Philly..then its not big deal!!!! The photograpghers work has to be worth it too!!!

Aug 20 05 10:19 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

In my own area, about a 1/2 hr.  I don't drive, and most of the places photogs around here want to shoot outdoors are often closer to my house than their's. 

Now, I do often travel all over the US (just went up to NYC in July and will probably be back that way in October), so if I can find a photog that I like that I can "get to" while out of town then I'm all for it.  I actually lugged all my luggage from Newark, NJ where I was at during my trip all the way out to Brooklyn, NY to shoot with a photog, and my stuff was heavy because some costumes just aren't able to be built light!!!

I'm actually considering right now going to school in either NYC or L.A. (NYC is seriously in the running, but L.A. might be a better move for me *shrug*)

Aug 20 05 11:35 pm Link

Model

club Jeska

Riverside, California, US

only to adams house

Aug 21 05 05:38 am Link

Model

Hel Inferna

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'll go if my travel expenses are paid and its to a city I want to visit.

Aug 21 05 09:17 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

bobby sargent wrote:

Do you pay travel costs?...Scotland has got to be a blast

Aug 21 05 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I would think that it would be most equitable for the person proposing the TFCD to travel to the "propose-ee's" location.

In other words, If I propose a TFCD to a distant model, I travel to them. If a distant model proposes a TFCD to me, they travel to me.

Of course, this is only practical if a specific location is not involved. For example, a typical swimwear shoot could be most likely be done in either party's home town. If the location is specifically defined, then there is no question who has to travel.

Aug 21 05 01:05 pm Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

I would travel anywhere providing expenses are taken care of(either gas/tolls or flight, etc., hotel stay, etc.) for a TFP.
If it was far away, I'd want the photographer to take care of my travel expenses for a TFP and I'd want to be out there for about a week and schedule other paid shoots.

Aug 21 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

i live 6 hours from everyone close..
farthest a model has come for a tfp shoot is arizona..
think thats about 20 hours away..
Ya ima photographer so what,its still good info (:----

Aug 24 05 01:53 am Link

Model

Peabo

I have been to MS, NC, SC, FL, etc...etc...I don't mind traveling if some expenses are helped with, if the photographers work is outstanding (or they are just really cool), or if they are shooting something that benefits both our portfolios.  I am in this for me, but I DO ALWAYS wnat to give the photographer what they want/need as well.  I have paid my expenses for many trips that benefitted my book (and yes, I am young, BUT I do have some money from a TV show I did and my momma don't have to "foot the bill"...LOL).
I just really think there has to be a give and take, if you can get what you want, can offer the photographer something, and you can agree on any terms (# of images, CD's, travel), then it is all good!
Peabo

Aug 24 05 02:03 am Link

Model

Earth Angel 555

Los Angeles, California, US

If it's a good photographer, I'll go the distance. A good distance, maybe a few hours. Traveling to another state though? That'd be more dangerous then flattering. So id stay in California for now

Aug 24 05 02:20 am Link

Model

Tathena

Evansville, Indiana, US

If expenses are paid I will travel anywhere to work with a awesome photog...

Aug 24 05 03:48 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

bobby sargent wrote:

Thats something to ponder.

Aug 24 05 01:13 pm Link

Model

Carlie Lawson

Longtown, Oklahoma, US

Let me hedge my answer. I used to say that I'd go anywhere to shoot with a truly awesome photographer and I meant it. That changed this year.

In April of this year, for instance, I traveled on my own dime to Denver, CO to shoot with a photog who's portfolio I really loved. I live in Norman, OK, so that was a distance of 700 miles. I covered all expenses. We shot for 8 hours. Five months later, I have yet to receive a CD or any e-mailed images.

Because he's so far away, I'm really not able to take any action but e-mail, so I'll probably never see those images. And from the attitudes most of (not all) the MM photogs showed when I asked for advice on how to get the images, this is a perfectly okay scenario to most of you. It seems that many photogs see no reason to actually provide the images from a TFP/TFCD.

So, as they say, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Or rather, in this case, one bad apple led me to learn the attitudes of many of the apples.

Now, unless the photographer had impeccable references, breathtaking images, would actually (and actively) do something for my career (read - tearsheets), and will sign a legally binding agreement that I'll get the images with 6 weeks time, I won't budge from this state for a TFP/TFCD.

Aug 24 05 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

Christine 16 wrote:
And from the attitudes most of (not all) the MM photogs showed when I asked for advice on how to get the images, this is a perfectly okay scenario to most of you. It seems that many photogs see no reason to actually provide the images from a TFP/TFCD.

Sorry you had such a problem.  That's not the attitude of most of the photographers here.  You should have gotten your images.

Paul

Aug 24 05 01:41 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I doubt I'd ever travel more than 100 miles for a TFP. Actually, it's unusual for me to travel more than 100 miles for any shoot.

Aug 24 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

Christine 16 wrote:
Let me hedge my answer. I used to say that I'd go anywhere to shoot with a truly awesome photographer and I meant it. That changed this year.

In April of this year, for instance, I traveled on my own dime to Denver, CO to shoot with a photog who's portfolio I really loved. I live in Norman, OK, so that was a distance of 700 miles. I covered all expenses. We shot for 8 hours. Five months later, I have yet to receive a CD or any e-mailed images.

Because he's so far away, I'm really not able to take any action but e-mail, so I'll probably never see those images. And from the attitudes most of (not all) the MM photogs showed when I asked for advice on how to get the images, this is a perfectly okay scenario to most of you. It seems that many photogs see no reason to actually provide the images from a TFP/TFCD.

So, as they say, one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Or rather, in this case, one bad apple led me to learn the attitudes of many of the apples.

Now, unless the photographer had impeccable references, breathtaking images, would actually (and actively) do something for my career (read - tearsheets), and will sign a legally binding agreement that I'll get the images with 6 weeks time, I won't budge from this state for a TFP/TFCD.

My advice to you would be to save up your money and locate an established photographer in LA or New York and pay to have your book shot and your Zed Card designed and printed.  If you continue to rely on fly-by-night OMP and MM guys with cameras, you'll never get what you are looking for.

Aug 24 05 05:56 pm Link

Model

Jin

Martinsburg, West Virginia, US

I'll travel as far as the photographer will get me, or other photographers.  Usually I'll do one TFP per trip and get one or two paid assignments to cover traveling expenses.  I did a TFP in Indiana (which is about an 8 hour drive without traffic and without getting lost).

Aug 24 05 06:05 pm Link

Model

Stacey Lee

San Francisco, California, US

It really depends on the photographers work, if i really want to work with them I'd have no problem traveling for a TFP.  I'd probably try to kill two birds with one stone by setting something else up while I was there.  If travel expenses were completely paid for I still might not shoot if I don't like the photographers work. It really depends....

Aug 24 05 06:29 pm Link

Model

Charli

Orlando, Florida, US

I wouldn't travel more than 40 miles for a TFP shoot, unless travel expenses were covered.

Aug 24 05 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Treagen

Detroit, Michigan, US

models travel the country for tfp, i see that often.

Aug 26 05 01:22 am Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I had tow models drive several hours in the Southern California freeways to come out to have me take their pictures.

When I finished taking ones pictures and got the editted pictures to him he commented about my computer being in my kitchen.  But he still has the pictures posted and uses them at an agency's site to promote himself. 

Gas wasn't as expensive back then either.

Aug 26 05 02:28 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I had a model drive like 7 hours from MD to do a TFP with me without even mentioning travel expenses.
Then I get the ones with webcam shots in their ports that are less than an hour away and want $$ for gas.

I guess it depends on how serious they are about getting good photos.

Attn MODS:
I almost started a new thread about this but I was a good boy and used the search function - yay!

Jan 21 06 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

Actually every year I take a model to an island in the West Indies with
me (TFP/CD art/nudes - all expenses paid). I'm just starting to plan for the next trip in April.
I'll soon post an ad on MM about it. Any model interested in that adventure
is welcome to contact me ... more to come.

Jan 21 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Louis Braga wrote:
(TFP/CD art/nudes - all expenses paid)

Well then that sounds like the model is just doing the shoot in trade for a vacation - LOL!

Jan 21 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Mark Anderson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It depends on the value from the session.  I've had models travel from another state to shoot TFP and I have traveled to other states to do TFP.  I evaluate it on a shoot by shoot basis as do most of the models I have worked with.  And, although not asked for, I have kicked in for gas money at times as well as offered the model my guest room for her overnight stay.  Again it all depends on value of the TFP shoot.

Jan 21 06 09:14 am Link