Forums > General Industry > Why do so few reply to emails?

Photographer

Mark Bunce

Akron, Ohio, US

Any reply would be nice! Yes, no, heck yea, buzz off, or not at this time.

Nov 02 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

how about this for a reply:

stop beating me.

Nov 02 06 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

Perhaps because they figure if they ignore you that you will go away?

Nov 02 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mclain D Swift

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada

I have had similar problems.  I am starting to have better luck with people on the streets or friends of people I have already shot.  I am starting to believe that a good chunk of the "models" on here are flakes and just want free pictures of themselves.  I have had better luck with models on OMP that don't have portfolios on here.  I was beginning to think it was my work but I have since pulled my head out of my ass and realized that I am not that bad of a photographer.  I am like 18% grey :-)

Nov 03 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Mark Bunce wrote:
Any reply would be nice! Yes, no, heck yea, buzz off, or not at this time.

I agree 100%. Any of these would do for uninterested replies:

- No thanks
- Respectfully decline
- I'm booked through 2010
- I'm traveling overseas to study bullfighting
- Go jump in a lake you freak

I hate being left hanging. I'd rather read a less than desirable reply than to get no reply at all.
("Anybody listening?...Ohhh ohhh...no reply at all..." Phil Collins)

Nov 03 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

RonColeman

Windsor, California, US

The "E" in e-mail stands for "Extraterrestrial",...meaning it just goes into cyberspace never to be acknowledged.

Nov 03 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

What I find interesting is the number of girls here saying they want to model, it is their life, they have always wanted to do this, etc.  You contact these girls and the response is that they are in school, no time to shoot, they don't know when they will have time because they are just som busy with life, etc.  WTF?  WHY are you on here then?????  Oh, well!

Nov 03 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

few reply b/c they are immature, unprofessional, don't have manners and bottom line is they probably don't like your work. Mine included. lol

Nov 03 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

I agree! About a month ago I e-mailed a fellow MM Photographer seeking some information on an event, and got absolutely no reply. I'm guessing a person has to belong to some elite club in order to comunicate with certain members.

Gary

Nov 03 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

I just remembered something from earlier this year.  I was living in Missouri still and a photog here in Oklahoma needed a backup photographer for a wedding.  I emailed him about it, he told me what he would pay me, and we agreed I would help him out.  He told me he would email me the specifics the next day.  3 days went by and nothing, so I emailed him back.  Told me he had been busy but would get it out to me.  Again, nothing.  Time kept getting closer, couldn't get hold of him.  I emailed a few times and eventually blew it off.  Now I am living in the same proximity and I would never even consider working with him on anything.  Totally unprofessional.

I guess it isn't only the models who stand photographers up!

Nov 03 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

Welcome to the club,we all hate it and have to deal with it,also I almost didn't answer this post.

Nov 03 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

there are 2 specific photographers on MM that I would love to work with and I messaged both of them, and never heard anything back. One of them never even opened my message and the other has opened it and never replied. The one that opened the email and never replied? Yea I was asking what HIS rates were. Psht.

Nov 03 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

Jessalyn wrote:
there are 2 specific photographers on MM that I would love to work with and I messaged both of them, and never heard anything back.

I'm terribly sorry Jess, i honestly never got your message!

Nov 03 06 06:12 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Sometimes I get messages and am too tired to reply, and then forget to do it later. I think a single polite rephrased followup email is not unwise.

Nov 03 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

g-man

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
What I find interesting is the number of girls here saying they want to model, it is their life, they have always wanted to do this, etc.  You contact these girls and the response is that they are in school, no time to shoot, they don't know when they will have time because they are just so busy with life, etc.  WTF?  WHY are you on here then?????  Oh, well!

Yup, exactly.  Besides the usual school and work related stuff, models have told me they will get back to me after they get some new clothes, workout at the gym, even out their tan, let their hair grow out a little more, get back from a trip, have their braces removed, when their tattoo has healed . . .

No they never do get back to me . . . tongue

Nov 04 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Jessalyn wrote:
there are 2 specific photographers on MM that I would love to work with and I messaged both of them, and never heard anything back. One of them never even opened my message and the other has opened it and never replied. The one that opened the email and never replied? Yea I was asking what HIS rates were. Psht.

not to worry, we will make it all ok, those two shooters will be standin with their mouths open thinkin why didnt I work with her

Nov 04 06 03:00 am Link

Photographer

MadRussian

New York, New York, US

One of the tricks, I found, to getting a reply is: check last login date. Alot of these "models" haven't been on in months.
And yeah, alot of flakes around these parts.  Forums are full of these stories.

Nov 04 06 03:15 am Link

Photographer

Jason E Jones

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've gotten to the point of after seeing the model has read the email and has been logged on way after that date, I send another email saying something like, "Thank you for not responding to my message, it really shows your professionalism and your work ethic".

After that, I usually get a return email with an apology and some dumb excuse why they haven't had time to respond. By that time I've already moved onto the next model.

Nov 04 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tatphotos

Los Angeles, California, US

Doug Jantz wrote:
What I find interesting is the number of girls here saying they want to model, it is their life, they have always wanted to do this, etc.  You contact these girls and the response is that they are in school, no time to shoot, they don't know when they will have time because they are just som busy with life, etc.  WTF?  WHY are you on here then?????  Oh, well!

its not that theyre busy theyre just trying to say "i hate your work" without insulting you.

Nov 04 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tatphotos

Jason E Jones wrote:
I've gotten to the point of after seeing the model has read the email and has been logged on way after that date, I send another email saying something like, "Thank you for not responding to my message, it really shows your professionalism and your work ethic".

After that, I usually get a return email with an apology and some dumb excuse why they haven't had time to respond. By that time I've already moved onto the next model.

i personally would prefer no response to a "your work sucks you freak, dont contact me ever again!"

Ignorance is bliss, and i think most people know that, so i figure no response is the most polite way to say "I'm not interested."

Nov 04 06 11:50 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

because sometimes my fingers don't feel like typing. and then i forget.

Nov 04 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
Perhaps because they figure if they ignore you that you will go away?

Exactly!

When Jehovah's Witnesses knock on your door, do you answer?

Be honest...

Nov 04 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

g-man wrote:

Yup, exactly.  Besides the usual school and work related stuff, models have told me they will get back to me after they get some new clothes, workout at the gym, even out their tan, let their hair grow out a little more, get back from a trip, have their braces removed, when their tattoo has healed . . .

When you ask a woman out on a date, and she says "Give me your number, and I'll call you , what does that usually mean?

Get real, dude...

Nov 04 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

g-man wrote:

that's not always true.
i have shoots 'lined up' with a few photographers in or around my area. I wish I could just shoot with them all this week, because i love shooting and i would everyday if i could. BUT, i just moved back to NY from Florida and i've been poor to the point of looking a mess (aka, my hair needs to be touched up). So why would I waste my time and theirs with a half assed shoot? Wouldn't you want your model to look her best?
And you best believe that by the end of this week after working my little butt of i'll have my hair done and go through with all of those shoots before this month is over. so there.
tongue

Nov 05 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
I agree! About a month ago I e-mailed a fellow MM Photographer seeking some information on an event, and got absolutely no reply. I'm guessing a person has to belong to some elite club in order to comunicate with certain members.

Gary

Nah--I think it's just that you need to know the secret handshake.

Nov 05 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Image K wrote:
When Jehovah's Witnesses knock on your door, do you answer?

Be honest...

actually I have seen a couple of them in the neighborhood. If they knock I will ask them to model....

Nov 05 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

- null -

Daniela V wrote:
how about this for a reply:

stop beating me.

Shut up, woman! That's not our safeword! wink

Nov 05 06 01:10 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

They don't owe you a reply....

Nov 05 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

do you get replies from every monster job application?
of course not
same thing

and another whiney topic

Nov 05 06 01:13 am Link

Model

The Dave

Most of the girls on here are "internet models" and accordingly flakey.  I've had very few photographers or male models NOT respond to a message I've sent.  Go figure.  Consider the crowd.

Nov 05 06 02:35 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

oldguysrule wrote:
do you get replies from every monster job application?
of course not
same thing

and another whiney topic

this is very true. i do respond MOST of my emails in a timely manner. but there are many i do not.

now, these are the reasons why i only respond if interested:
*many of the photographers i have politely declined/told them i was busy/told them they were not my style, have goten back to me offensively/agressively with "who do you think you are, a freaken supermodel?" type response. and i am not rude at all, so i have no idea why they become so defensive. i usually say "thank you for contacting me, but unfortunately i am very busy at the time/your type of work is not my style/etc"

*the mail system does not help me "mark" which emails i need to respond, or mark them unread. the they just go down and down...

*most of the time i am very busy, and i get a lot of emails. it is very hard to keep up! MM is not the only place where I have to write emails!

photographers do not realize the amount of emails we models get.
i figure that if i do not respond in a long time, they will realize that i am not very interested in their offer. it is not a big deal to me when it happens the other way around.

Nov 05 06 02:58 am Link

Model

Danella Lucioni

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Photos By Deej wrote:
few reply b/c they are immature, unprofessional, don't have manners and bottom line is they probably don't like your work. Mine included. lol

i am sorry you have to think that way.

i am sorry you generalize.

and i am especially sorry you get no replies from models and have to vent off by insulting them.

Nov 05 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Although this has been discussed a thousand times it bears repeating.
If you have taken the time to place a profile and images and are interested in working for pay or Test images then respond to any and all serious offers.  Even if
its to say you are busy or aren't interested.  Yes it may mean taking a few extra
minutes from your day.  Yes it may be a pain in the ass but you are a small business in many ways.  You don't ignore people who are knocking at your door
with offers.

Some people feel no reply is a response and they are also correct but some people feel its rude so be polite and respond.  In the past I've emailed models with TFP
offers.  No response.  Then I have a paid shoot and here they come asking for
consideration, my respond is no.  Immature, sure but I want to work with people
who at least can take the time to respond even if its no.

Nov 05 06 05:43 am Link

Photographer

bmjg

Longwood, Florida, US

One word     NEXT

Nov 05 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

artandgenes

Wooster, Ohio, US

The rude behavior of not answering is amazingly common in the art world.  We do NOT live in a polite world.  Blow-offs are seen as cool.  I cant tell you how many galleries have zero courtsey.  I am a grown up, if someone doesnt like my stuff just say so and we will move on.  The only solution is to just send out many emails/requests etc, and focus on the positives that you will get.

Nov 05 06 06:32 am Link

Photographer

Envisionz

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Most models lack common courtesy to reply and I agree with others that some are total fakes or is it flakes?
I will admit maybe some dont have the command of the english language. You have a portfolio, you should respond. Its totally rude and unprofessional and I usually send a second e mail about being sorry to waste my time.
The models on OMP arent much better!

Nov 05 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

There has been a great many debates on MM on this subject and a seemingly unrelated one, "how do you tell if someone is professional."  Simple, professionals answer email.  Often (in my case) they politely say no, but they do answer. 

There is the occasional time you don't get a response and months later find out there was a good reason.  One model I am working with now had just found out she was pregnant.  Kind of turned her life upside down.  I'm not quite so quick to condemn now.  However, most of the time you don't get a response just consider yourself lucky.  Obviously not someone you are going to want to work with.  The ones I do get irritated with are the no shows.  That's flakey and rude.  Still, you come out ahead.  Can you imagine how the shoot would have gone?

Nov 05 06 07:07 am Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

The same goes for casting calls. A simple we have filled the position. Thanks for your interest would be nice.

Nov 05 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

There is no legitimate reason for any model or photographer not to reply to an offer or request for work.  There are only lame excuses by rude and unprofessional posers.  The exception to this being the receipt of obvious scam emails.  Scammers don't keep their profiles on MM for very long though.

If a model replies with a "no Thanks" and the photographer is an insecure Jackass who starts harassing the model, then just block his email.  It's easy to block someone on MM messaging and it's easy to set up a mail filter on Outlook email.

Nov 05 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

While a persons feelings may be hurt by rejection.  In most cases people would
rather know whats up.  We don't know if you really read the message or if you
are busy with school or ill or even no longer modeling as I found out from a past
model who responded to a email for a future shoot.  That one response let me know not to ask her about modeling, case closed.

Its not just about good manners its just good business.  Customers come to your
store, say hi and answer their questions.  If you don't want the business close
up.  Most of the models here aren't well known or making lots of money so all offers
need to be  looked at.  Maybe a Test shoot will lead to paying work.  Maybe the
photographer will suggest you for a paid shoot as I have done several times. 

Some have mentioned photographers do the same but most don't.  We are hungry
to shoot.  We have large investments in time and money so most are serious.
Its just so simple.  Answer your emails.  Return phone calls.  Either make a effort
to be a model or remove your profile.

Nov 05 06 10:18 am Link