Forums > General Industry > Why nude pics are so popular ?

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Just got 2 polar opinions on the subject ...

Opinion 1:
Because female beauty is first of all in sexuality, in the beauty of the female body ...

Opinion 2:
Because there so many guys out there suffering from spermotoxicosis ...
Profit will be there forever

So where do you stand at as a photographer, model, stylist, publisher, etc.?

Nov 02 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

because men and most women like bewbs.  or ass. or both.

and I stand with camera in hand to capture them.

Nov 02 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Clothes cost money. I spent all mine on camera gear and cheap lights..

Nov 02 06 01:31 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Ransom J wrote:

Then why pictures? Why not the actual "bewbs.  or ass. or both" smile ?

Nov 02 06 01:33 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

This is my excuse, too.  Except I spent all of my money on tofu and Halloween decorations..

Nov 02 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

terminated user

Henderson, Nevada, US

To capture beauty in a time and setting that is fleeting, and can then be viewed for years....

Nov 02 06 01:37 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

I thought it's all about nude models... Do you whip-round to buy all that need staff ?

Nov 02 06 01:37 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

The nude body is beautiful, male or female. The way it reflects light, makes the poses clear, the whole thing does not have to be about sex. Nudity is different than sexuality. You can have a photo where both people are wearing clothes, the guys zipper is open, the girls hand is going in there, and he has his hand up her skirt...everything is implied, but sexual. Or you could have a nude laying on a beach or in the mountains or on the chair in a studio and it is much less sexual than the picture I described above. So, why nude? Because we were born that way, nude, and because there is a certain honesty to the bare body. Not that nudity cannot be erotic. I probably have some of the most erotic photos on mm, and I am nude, but nothing is shown explicitly. To me, what makes a photograph an erotic photograph is the way the model is 'acting' or not acting towards the camera. A sexual come hither look on a bathing suit model is more sexual than a bodyscape. The look on my face when I am in ecstacy says much more than explicit nudity.

Nov 02 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Well... because boobs, who-who's and bums are like " Beggin Strips " for men.  Did you see that commercial with the dog?  That's men.

Nov 02 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Then why pictures? Why not the actual "bewbs.  or ass. or both" smile) ?

same reason fashion photographers shoot the clothes on the model instead of just sending out samples for people the wear in a pretty vogue package.

Nov 02 06 01:39 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

anywhere I roam...
where I lay my head is home.

metallica big_smile

Nov 02 06 01:40 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

ChristianBehr wrote:
Well... because boobs, who-who's and bums are like " Beggin Strips " for men.  Did you see that commercial with the dog?  That's men.

Are you drinking again?

Nov 02 06 01:42 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

I thought it's all about nude models... Do you whip-round to buy all that need staff ?

Look at my port..

I make women take their clothes off so I can shoot headshots of them.. wink

Nov 02 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Deep Thought:

A nude figure is a person most "disarmed."  It's honest.  No hiding this or that - it's as real as one can get.  The physical manifestation of a person's soul.  I think people like to see nude - due to visual association.  When we see nude people in real life - they're giving themselves in the purest form to us.  So like Pavlov's dog...

Whew... that was too deep for me.

Nov 02 06 01:45 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

The Infamous Lapis wrote:

Are you drinking again?

No... did you read my deep thought?  I think both are accurate... and there's nothing fogging my brain this evening.

Nov 02 06 01:46 am Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

I have to admin you guys are good smile

There is nothing like  "it's all about my narcissism" or "when I was younger I wanted to be OBGYN" ........

Nov 02 06 01:52 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

ChristianBehr wrote:
Deep Thought:

A nude figure is a person most "disarmed."  It's honest.  No hiding this or that - it's as real as one can get.  The physical manifestation of a person's soul.  I think people like to see nude - due to visual association.  When we see nude people in real life - they're giving themselves in the purest form to us.  So like Pavlov's dog...

Whew... that was too deep for me.

there you are wrong my friend...I've never seen more conscious women (so far) before. they are absolutely not disarmed and professional hiders...its honest, and beautiful but not as you describe big_smile

Nov 02 06 01:53 am Link

Photographer

Voltaire

Los Angeles, California, US

It goes back to Adam and Eve.  Before she ate the apple they were truthful and innocent.  Afterwards they covered themselves in shame.  Something about the naked truth commands the attention of the viewer.  It's real and alive.  The truth is so much more entertaining than any story one could ever conjure. It's free and fleeting.

Nov 02 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Opinion 1:
Because female beauty is first of all in sexuality, in the beauty of the female body ...

Opinion 2:

two polar opinions, bi-polar?

people look at faces before they meet someone, 'oh he looks cute, i think i'd like to meet him'

when you get close you get a waft of pheromones that seals the deal

mechanism behind this is mixing up the gene-pool, some folks are wired to stay in the group they were born into, some other folks roam.. but some guys at stanford found out that folks will look at a face and then put themselves in a position to check the chemistry

the phrase,

our chemistry is so right -it was love at first sight

is a pretty accurate

Nov 02 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Koray wrote:

there you are wrong my friend...I've never seen more conscious women (so far) before. they are absolutely not disarmed and professional hiders...its honest, and beautiful but not as you describe big_smile

Well... what can I say?  I'm not known for shooting nudes - so I did my best to pull a deep though from where all my deep thoughts come from.  Now I guess I'll just wipe my thought center and go to bed.

Nov 02 06 02:00 am Link

Photographer

RanIan

From an anthropological perspective, nudity enables men to judge the genetic health of a mate which is done visually:

- Symmetry => no defects
- 50% hips/waist ratio + well proportioned breasts => Fertility
- Slimness => Youth + untouched by pregnancies from other males => Optimum fertility

Body language takes over in the sexual realm. What is defined as "passion" is the reptilian brain speaking. No words just a pleasure/pain balance.

Sexual pleasure is optimized for the anticipation and possession in the male and is proportional to the knowledge the guy will mark its "territory" from other males. That's why men are obsessive about the woman always swallowing or getting their seed, unprotected. It is optional in the female as most females until recently would be impregnated by force or without their consent.

Any visualization of that will be pleasurable, mostly to men. Women are interested in seeing males nude only from behind, as a small butt implies good trusting abilities...

Nov 02 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Voltaire

Koray wrote:

I am with Christian on this one.  A model who is willing to shoot nude and trusts the photographer is often alive and open.  There's a special dance that can happen with the right chemistry.  It's exhilarating and free.

Nov 02 06 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Opinion 1:

Opinion 2:

I don't really understand what you wrote in "Opinion 1."  I've read the sentence several times, and nothing has come of it.

I also wanted to clarify what you've hypothesized in "Opinion 2."  Are you suggesting that nudes are popular because there are lot of men suffering from a largely ficitonal medical condition, which, logically, if I'm up to speed here, would be caused by the nude photos rather than causing the nude photos themselves.

In either case, I find that most nudes are wholly contrived.  I rarely find them sexy, which is the basis of both of your conjectures, and more often than not it seems like an arbitrary condition that is neither necessary for the value of the photo itself or logical in any way, shape or form.

Moreover, your opinions presuppose that men, in general, are prone to tripping over their own tongues at the sight of a nude woman, and that women, in general, are sexy.  Neither are factual.  In fact, I think that most nude bodies look a bit silly.  Kudos to those who've gone ones that don't.

Nov 02 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

The nude is a classic subject, at least for me.  Male or female forms still fascinate me.  Everyone is so unique.  I don't try to cover or hide scars or blemishes becuase they are part of the human experience.  I also don't mind models with tattoos (I have several myself) or piercings. 
Before I started working with models I used myself as a subject for at least a year.  When I grew to a point where I needed to compose my photos better and I had gained enough confidence in my technique, I began working with models.
It is true that there are alot of sexual images out there.  It's all subjective also.  Before Playboy, people looked at National Geographic for images of nude bodies.  Before that I guess it was the semi erotic french postcards.
I do nude figures because I feel the body is beautiful at every age and shape.  I've worked with older male subjects that didn't have a perfect slender form and I would like to do more in that area. 
Don't want to make this too long because I don't feel I really have to explain my motives.  I produce the images I want to do.  I don't sell my images.  I do photography for the sheer Love of creating images I've had in my head for years.

Nov 02 06 02:16 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

Are you serious?

Nov 02 06 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Guys..

She's actually asking models why they do nudes..

I think..

She just told me.. And at this point I'm so tired.. I'm only half sure..

Nov 02 06 02:33 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Aussie Guevara wrote:
Are you serious?

you must mean me, i'm always serious

Nov 02 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

lotusphoto wrote:

you must mean me, i'm always serious

Ok, Shirley.

Nov 02 06 02:37 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Because the devil's been busy.

Nov 02 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

the whole thing does not have to be about sex. Nudity is different than sexuality.

I'll never understand why we spend [ie: waste] so much time trying to divorce the human body from human sexuality.  The last time I looked, human sexuality was a pretty amazing and powerful form of energy.  Why do we always try to discount it in the name of "art"?

What do you think Michelangelo  was thinking about while he was sculpting David...baseball?

Nov 02 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Ransom J wrote:

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Pictures are cheaper for most people to procure than actual bewbs
and are far easier to hide from their spouse or mother.

Nov 02 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

The first images of human beings were painted naked.  As each evolution of art materials has occured people have created nudes with it.  For a number of reasons, most of which are related to the unconscious evolutionary sex drives mentioned here, the nude form, especially female, captivates us.  That's not changing any time soon.

Nov 02 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Edward

Bowie, Maryland, US

The nude body is beautiful, male or female. The way it reflects light, makes the poses clear, the whole thing does not have to be about sex. Nudity is different than sexuality. You can have a photo where both people are wearing clothes, the guys zipper is open, the girls hand is going in there, and he has his hand up her skirt...everything is implied, but sexual. Or you could have a nude laying on a beach or in the mountains or on the chair in a studio and it is much less sexual than the picture I described above. So, why nude? Because we were born that way, nude, and because there is a certain honesty to the bare body. Not that nudity cannot be erotic. I probably have some of the most erotic photos on mm, and I am nude, but nothing is shown explicitly. To me, what makes a photograph an erotic photograph is the way the model is 'acting' or not acting towards the camera. A sexual come hither look on a bathing suit model is more sexual than a bodyscape. The look on my face when I am in ecstacy says much more than explicit nudity.

Could not have said it better.

Nov 02 06 08:44 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

W.G. Rowland wrote:

big_smile  Clothes!  (wink)  I'd rather just wear the accessories ...

Nov 02 06 08:46 am Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Look at my port..

I make women take their clothes off so I can shoot headshots of them.. wink

HAHA! big_smile

Nov 02 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

TroisCouleurs wrote:

Have you ever heard the phrase, "Take a picture! It'll last longer!" 

That's especially true of bewbs and ass.  wink 

-- rick

Nov 02 06 08:48 am Link

Model

scarletdiva

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

I'll never understand why we spend [ie: waste] so much time trying to divorce the human body from human sexuality.  The last time I looked, human sexuality was a pretty amazing and powerful form of energy.  Why do we always try to discount it in the name of "art"?

What do you think Michelangelo  was thinking about while he was sculpting David...baseball?

ain't nothing wrong with sexuality.  i am all about it, whether clothed or des'habille.  but no, i dont think michaelangelo was thinking about sex while sculpting David.  the thing probably took him the better part of a year, and he was probably thinking about accuracy, form, texture, and the rigatoni he was going to have for supper during a lot of it.

Nov 02 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

This is my excuse, too.  Except I spent all of my money on tofu and Halloween decorations..

Well, at least you've got the Tofu to eat and if any trick or treaters asked why you answered the door nude you could have just told them you are dressed as Eve and waiting for Adam to come back

Nov 02 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

MadamePsychosis wrote:
ain't nothing wrong with sexuality.  i am all about it, whether clothed or des'habille.  but no, i dont think michaelangelo was thinking about sex while sculpting David.  the thing probably took him the better part of a year, and he was probably thinking about accuracy, form, texture, and the rigatoni he was going to have for supper during a lot of it.

What are you?  His press agent?

Nov 02 06 09:08 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

big_smile  (choking on sip of coffee)  Funny stuff in here ...

Nov 02 06 09:11 am Link