Forums > General Industry > Amazed at the many misspellings...

Photographer

Gerrit du Toit

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa

I just love how I am ment to spell corect, and I cant. I could cut paste and then do a Spell check, but by then I would already have moved on, and have something else to say, So I try not to post in here. Would hate to offend with bad spelling.

Oct 30 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Gerrit du Toit

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa

Oh and its not nice when your spell check laughs at you, It just is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Oct 30 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
Did you misspell "amateur" intentionally? (And yes, I checked the spelling of "misspell" on Merriam-Webster before posting this.)

you meant amatuer,  right?

btw, i went to the  ee cummings school of grammar

edit:oh god, i spelled it wrong.. and i thought i was being so clever

Oct 30 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Pixel-Magic Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
I am amazed at how many people spell things incorrectly in their profiles!  I have seen photographers and models with several things in their profiles misspelled!  I think people should proofread their profiles before letting the public read them.  Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

EDIT:  I would like to say that I opened this discussion just because I was amazed....I didn't point anybody out or bash anybody.  I just wanted a lighthearted discussion with others who had noticed the same thing...

Very good point. I agree it, and find that I often have typos in my text, but I go back and keep correcting it. I almost always find and correct typos and mispellings in my forum comments, but then I'm a perfectionist, too much so, sometimes. 

I do recommend reading and correcting your bios, and I also think it is quite good manners to inform someone via e-mail of typos in their bios -if you like the person and want to help them. Whenever I've done that, very politely, the people were very appreciative, as am I when someone points me to my own errors.

Dan

Oct 30 06 12:44 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

If I could be bothered I'd try and work out a sentence that contains all the words you Americans spell incorrectly.  I never know with you lot whether it's the fault of one person or the whole nation.

I was told off for spelling 'colour' incorrectly.  I told the person he was being an arse.

Oct 30 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

RED Photographic wrote:
If I could be bothered I'd try and work out a sentence that contains all the words you Americans spell incorrectly.  I never know with you lot whether it's the fault of one person or the whole nation.

I was told off for spelling 'colour' incorrectly.  I told the person he was being an arse.

like the difference between gray and grey..

grey is a colour

but

gray is a color

Oct 30 06 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Nelia

San Francisco, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Well, Nelia, your work is awesome so don't worry about it!  wink

Thank you I try very, very hard to be the best at whatever I do.  I simply love photography!

Oct 30 06 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Kasmia wrote:
it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The
rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was
ipmorantt!

This is about the most sense anything on here has ever made to me - then again, I'm a dyslexic!  LOL!

-R

p.s. the above posting is a very interesting aspect of the human mind and very true.

Oct 30 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

lotusphoto wrote:

like the difference between gray and grey..

grey is a colour

but

gray is a color

I remember a story told about Sir John Barbirolli, the English conductor, who was staying in a hotel in New York.  The phone rang, he picked it, and a woman announced herself, in a very strong Southern accent, as being the President of The English Speaking Union.  He replied "I don't believe it!" and put the phone down.

Oct 30 06 12:59 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

is it bashing to say I am amazed at your inability to use the search function?

Oct 30 06 01:23 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Avicdar wrote:

"amateur"   smile

Well a beautifull amateur might I add wink

All the best,
Britt

Oct 30 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Brittney Harrington wrote:
Well a beautifull amateur might I add wink

All the best,
Britt

gak, i spelled it wrong, i'm a idjit

edit: i looked it up on google first to make sure too..

Oct 30 06 01:32 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

lotusphoto wrote:

gak, i spelled it wrong, i'm a idjit

Oh *hit! Ooops! Haha! Hey I didn't start the thread..,....LOL

All the best,
Britt
*checks for misspellings**

Oct 30 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Ivan123 wrote:
Tough crowd!  Give her a break, she is probably only an amature.

There we go again.  Amature.  =  amateur

Well, I have seen photographers who didn't know how to spell aperture.  It is amazing how many ways there are to spell that!

Oct 30 06 02:43 am Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

One must love the english language and the many different tongues it ends up being spoken in.

If I recall correctly, the English language is the hardest to learn to speak correctly due to our slang. Then add in on top of that the misuse of grammar, punctuation, and even capitalization that WE ALL have had a part in at one point or another.

Oh well... no one is perfect. However, I have seen some whose typing and grammar mixed gave me a headache from trying to read it. When I come across those threads... I just click the back button and go to the next thread.

Meela smile

Oct 30 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
I am amazed at how many people spell things incorrectly in their profiles!  I have seen photographers and models with several things in their profiles misspelled!  I think people should proofread their profiles before letting the public read them.  Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

EDIT:  I would like to say that I opened this discussion just because I was amazed....I didn't point anybody out or bash anybody.  I just wanted a lighthearted discussion with others who had noticed the same thing...

And I'm amazed this site has no spell checker!
Mike

Oct 30 06 05:58 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Why do so many people who gripe about spelling misspell grammar?

smile

It happens almost every time. Too funny.

Oct 30 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Why do so many people who gripe about spelling misspell grammar?

Do you mean "grammaire"? :-P

Oct 30 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Well, it just gives the appearance that they don't take the time out for the small things.      If I were to read someone's resume that had misspellings I don't think I would take the time to interview them....I can't really explain why…other than the fact that all professionalism seems to go out the door when you see misspellings...

First off, ModelMayhem is model/photographer/mua themed version of MySpace.  This is not a Professional Association, nor is it a resume.

This is a place for creative folks to meet.  Now, personally, when it comes to choosing a model, I really could care less if you even speak English.  Forget spelling it.  All I care about is your look and how well you look in the cameras eye.  As for a model or MUA, all you should ever care about in a photographer is his/her photographic skills.  The fact is, I never even read the profiles until after I decide if I like their portfolio.  And then it is only to see what they do and don't do, where and where they don't work...etc.

You keep on judging based on spelling....I'll stick with the portfolios and see if they have any talent. smile

Oct 30 06 06:41 am Link