Forums > General Industry > Amazed at the many misspellings...

Model

Jessica Apple

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands

I am amazed at how many people spell things incorrectly in their profiles!  I have seen photographers and models with several things in their profiles misspelled!  I think people should proofread their profiles before letting the public read them.  Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

EDIT:  I would like to say that I opened this discussion just because I was amazed....I didn't point anybody out or bash anybody.  I just wanted a lighthearted discussion with others who had noticed the same thing...

Oct 29 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Incorrect grammer and misspellings makes their work seem less reliable...

That would be "grammar," and plural verb "make", right?

Oct 29 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

"grammar"

edit: Len beat me to it.

Oct 29 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Stacy Leigh

New York, New York, US

ha ha!!!

Oct 29 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Hahahaha....gotta love it. tongue

Meela

Oct 29 06 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Tough crowd!  Give her a break, she is probably only an amature.

Oct 29 06 07:01 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

haha!!!!  Have to laugh at myself now!!!  Well, well, lesson learned...i can no longer be harsh to anyone else!!!!  And I really shouldn't watch a movie and post at the same time!!!!

Oct 29 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Ivan123 wrote:

SWEEEEET!

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

What movie?  smile

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wow. Egg on the face.

Oct 29 06 07:04 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

Obsessed...with Jenna Elfman

Oct 29 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ivan123 wrote:

"amateur"   smile

Oct 29 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

TroisCouleurs

Dublin, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
haha!!!!  Have to laugh at myself now!!!  Well, well, lesson learned...i can no longer be harsh to anyone else!!!!  And I really shouldn't watch a movie and post at the same time!!!!

Actually I would agree with you wink
It's like mistype in your resume. Forum postings are more relaxed area.

Oct 29 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

Ivan123 wrote:

Did you misspell "amateur" intentionally? (And yes, I checked the spelling of "misspell" on Merriam-Webster before posting this.)

Oct 29 06 07:21 pm Link

Makeup Artist

About Faces-Lynn

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
I am amazed at how many people spell things incorrectly in their profiles!  I have seen photographers and models with several things in their profiles misspelled!  I think people should proofread their profiles before letting the public read them.  Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

I really do agree with this comment.  If your not great at spelling and grammar you could cut and paste your text into word and do a spell check on it and re-paste the corrected version into your profile.   I am from the old school and first impressions are lasting!

I feel like if you can't take the time to make sure its spelled correctly..then why bother with it at all!

Oct 29 06 07:25 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

That is exactly what I think!  To me the profile is like a resume...maybe not to everyone else...

Oct 29 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Jessica Apple wrote:

Need any help getting that... what do you call it?  Oh yeah... FOOT outta your mouth?   smile

PS The word "contacting" in your port (3rd paragraph I think) shouldn't be capitalized.  wink

Oct 29 06 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

Nelia

San Francisco, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

What would how one spells or consructs sentences have to do with how reliable they are as a Model, MUA or Photographer?  Curious minds want to know!

Oct 29 06 07:39 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

Well, it just gives the appearance that they don't take the time out for the small things.      If I were to read someone's resume that had misspellings I don't think I would take the time to interview them....I can't really explain why…other than the fact that all professionalism seems to go out the door when you see misspellings...

Oct 29 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

haha, grammar Nazis...but yeah, sometimes people really need to learn how to spell.

Oct 29 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

yea missspelled portfolios are only 2nd most irratating then those newbie models who have no experence and want pay only.

Oct 29 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

sdsteve

Spokane, Washington, US

Jessica Apple wrote:

Its the internet..get over it...HaVe YoU eVeR ReAd My SpaCE BulL ShIT??

Oct 29 06 07:47 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

It is the internet....but this isn't MySpace...wink

Oct 29 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny
iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The
rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the
wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was
ipmorantt!

Oct 29 06 07:50 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

hah! i have seen that before and it is pretty amazing that the mind can read it anyway!

Oct 29 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Nelia

San Francisco, California, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Well, it just gives the appearance that they don't take the time out for the small things.      If I were to read someone's resume that had misspellings I don't think I would take the time to interview them....I can't really explain why…other than the fact that all professionalism seems to go out the door when you see misspellings...

I fail to see the connection, but I am not a very "brite" photograper! :smile

Oct 29 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

PhotographerShine

Macomb, Illinois, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
I am amazed at how many people spell things incorrectly in their profiles!   Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

I doent understqand. why you pick on peeeple?

U hurt my feelings

I make the big mooney and pose  My BF is a photograppher to.

Oct 29 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Jessica Apple wrote:

Actually, I agree with you!  Spelling and grammar prowess is becoming a rarity.

Model

Jessica Apple

Well, Nelia, your work is awesome so don't worry about it!  wink

Model

Jessica Apple

PhotographerShine, LOL!!!

Oct 29 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

Your point is well taken.  It annoys me too, and unfortunately I have the problem that my fingers seem totally unwilling to pay any attention to what the brain is teling them to do.  Hence, much proofreading.  I have trouble dialing a phone number correctly, and wish this thing would do spell checking for me.

Interestingly, prior to the 20th century, people in general tended not to pay much attention to spelling or grammar, and spelling was often invented on the fly.  It's a riot trying to read older journals and such.

Ken

Oct 29 06 07:57 pm Link

Model

Jessica Apple

OughtToBeShot, thanks for the heads up on the capitalized letter!  Will go fix that right now!

Oct 29 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

Jessica Apple wrote:
Incorrect grammar and misspellings make their work seem less reliable...

I've often noticed the same thing as the OP.  Here is an excerpt from a South Carolina model I saw:

*The usage of the photos we shoot (ie. portfolio, website content, gallery, print ..etc...)
*Rates
*References
*What will be provided (makeup, wardrobe, etc)

In the first line of the excerpt, I believe she meant to use "i.e." which is an abbreviation for the Latin for id est.
In the second line there should be a comma after "print" and the ellipses are inappropriate.  Oh, and ellipses are three, not two periods.
In the last line, "etc" is an abbreviation for "et cetera" which is Latin for "and so forth".  It is an abbreviation and needs a period.

I myself can spell, use grammer and diction.  But I really can't type.  That is my excuse.

Oct 29 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i have just learned that i have a pleasing soothing professional sexy educated and all around lovely speaking voice

but i caint tyope fr sh*t

Oct 29 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

deer Jessika, I want ta shooot you cuzz you a pretty gurl. hu, hu.. lol

Seriously, I am 43 years old and have always been a bad speller. This has been due to constant moving in my youth from many different schools, missing the basics while moving and my ADHD/Dyslexia..

So.. I will burn out spell checkers on a regular basis.

So forgive me if you ever read my posts...

Oct 29 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Philippe

Austin, Texas, US

Sorry, je ne comprends pas l'english tongue .. No entiendo! Ich capiere gar nicht.

Remember that if that site was not in english, you'd be the one with a hard time. So chiiiill. We are here about photography, modeling and styling.
Less bitching... back to the studio!

Oct 29 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

RonSlatonPhoto62

Brandon, Florida, US

About Faces wrote:

I really do agree with this comment.  If your not great at spelling and grammar you could cut and paste your text into word and do a spell check on it and re-paste the corrected version into your profile.   I am from the old school and first impressions are lasting!

I feel like if you can't take the time to make sure its spelled correctly..then why bother with it at all!

Shouldn't that be "If you're not great..." instead of the common mistake of "your" in that line?  Point?  No one is a English major (obviously), everyone should check (double-check, then have somone else check) their wording, and ease up on pointing out "lasting impressions."  Reminds me about a little saying about "casting the first stone."

Oct 29 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Big Jim Slade wrote:
I've often noticed the same thing as the OP.  Here is an excerpt from a South Carolina model I saw:

*The usage of the photos we shoot (ie. portfolio, website content, gallery, print ..etc...)
*Rates
*References
*What will be provided (makeup, wardrobe, etc)

In the first line of the excerpt, I believe she meant to use "i.e." which is an abbreviation for the Latin for id est.

Actually it should be e.g. (exempli gratia), and the etc. and ellipses would be redundant. But who's quibbling?

Big Jim Slade wrote:
I myself can spell, use grammer and diction.  But I really can't type.  That is my excuse.

Why do so many people who gripe about spelling misspell grammar?

smile

Oct 30 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Is good spelling the new opera appreciation?

Oct 30 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kevin Connery wrote:
Why do so many people who gripe about spelling misspell grammar?

Otherwise it wouldn't be funny

Oct 30 06 12:24 am Link