Forums > General Industry > Does anyone still work with older modles

Wardrobe Stylist

Karen Garlick

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Just throwing it out there, do photographers have and interest in working with older models today, or are we just to old and don't sell, even though all the mags, are using older but prominate woman.

Oct 29 06 03:25 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Karen Garlick

Yes I spelt models wrong on the thread, but did not catch it quick enough.

Oct 29 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

Lancaster, California, US

Well spelling and grammar obviously aren't your strong suits.  As long as a model looks great, I don't care about her school skills.

But what do you look like?

Oct 29 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

I personally have no problems with older models at all.  I've known a lot of women in their 30's (and 40's) who look great (and are great to work with)!

Gary

Oct 29 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i work with anyone who is professional attractive and gives it a go ,one of my favorite models tomiko i believe is 39 years old,does not look it arrives on time ready to shoot always, older models rock. tomi you rule girl.

Oct 29 06 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

glenn usdin wrote:
Well spelling and grammar obviously aren't your strong suits.  As long as a model looks great, I don't care about her school skills.

then why bother to make the spelling remark

Oct 29 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

cause life is short and this is Model Mayhem and perhaps you need to take a chill pill.

If you are so overly sensitive, perhaps you need to take a break from posting.

BTW, nice work.

And I found your wifes images in your MM portfolio and she is a very attractive woman and you are a lucky man.

But please don't jump on people who make comments on here about her posts. She's obviously capable of handling herself.

Oct 29 06 03:41 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

glenn usdin wrote:

Now how would you guess that spelling and grammer are not my strong suits, I caught the mistake, do you catch yours, or do you pretend that you never make any.

Oct 29 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

glenn usdin wrote:
cause life is short and this is Model Mayhem and perhaps you need to take a chill pill.

BTW, nice work.

And I found your wifes images in your MM portfolio and she is a very attractive woman and you are a lucky man.

But please don't jump on people who make comments on here about her posts. She's obviously capable of handling herself.

She is and has done so, being human is able to admit when one has made a mistake, and when one is called on the carpet so quickly, well that leave me wondering if you live in a glass cage. This is about modeling not spelling, nor grammer.

Oct 29 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

glenn usdin wrote:

BTW, nice work.

Yeah she can handle herself well , I just think that starting off with the spelling nonsense is a bit lame especially when you may be starting a working relationship with someone. May being the word. I don't jump on people for replying to her I jump on anyone who has nothing to say except a lame comment on spelling. LOL

Oct 29 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

StephanieLM

San Francisco, California, US

I haven't worked with any older models, but I would just love to.  Only problem is finding them in a small market.  Especially finding older models who work with my budget, which is $0.

Oct 29 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Yeah she can handle herself well , I just think that starting off with the spelling nonsense is a bit lame especially when you may be starting a working relationship with someone. May being the word. I don't jump on people for replying to her I jump on anyone who has nothing to say except a lame comment on spelling. LOL

Or perhaps a lame comment about someone whose strong suit is not photography?  Good thing that edit button is there, hmm?

lol

Oct 29 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

OMG! This is great!

He asks, "what do you look like?", then comments on Kahryn's images in your port saying how attractive she is, without even realizing the OP is the same person. Too funny!

Or did he? Maybe I'm getting confused! Lol...

But, since we're having a grammar lesson and Glen is playing the role of the Grumpy Grammarian, maybe he should go back and correct his mistakes in his second post. There are more than a few. wink

Oct 29 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

DaveL

Springfield, Ohio, US

I much prefer to work with older models.  They usually have far fewer issues to bring to a shoot than the younger ones.  I shoot pretty much nothing but nudes and many of my favorite models are in their 40s.  I don't shoot glamour or fashion unless someone is paying me to do it, and for those kind of shoots I chose models to fit the client's needs.  But for my personal art photography, which is 90 percent or more of my work, age is just not a real issue.  Attitude is much more important.

Dave Levingston
http://www.art2view.com/DaveLevingston/
http://exposedfortheshadows.blogspot.com/

Oct 29 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

One of the models in my port is 42.  Can you tell which one?

It helps that we have a good friendship. She's motivated, has some experience, and knows make-up, and her acting & theatical background helps. She's also fun to work with. Personality goes a long way.

I would shoot all day long with mature, professional 30 and 40-yr-olds as opposed to a flaky (or worse) teenager or 20-something, even if they were a spelling bee champion.

I should put up some of the other pics from our shoots in my port.  Actually, we got her some "web-tear sheets" at:

http://www.sportiveinc.com/prada_2007_skiwear.htm 
http://www.sportiveinc.com/bogner_2007_sportswear.htm

Check em out, (she's the blonde in my amateurish photos)

Oct 29 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

A Moment in Time_

Moreno Valley, California, US

As long as the model shows up...works hard...and doesn't have an attitude...who cares what age they are?  I worked with a 40+ model yesterday....awesome lady....awesome shoot.

Oct 29 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Blecman

Annapolis, Maryland, US

75 - 80% of the models I work with currently are over 40.

Oct 29 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Francis Moran wrote:
One of the models in my port is 42.  Can you tell which one?

It helps that we have a good friendship. She's motivated, has some experience, and knows make-up, and her acting & theatical background helps. She's also fun to work with. Personality goes a long way.

I would shoot all day long with mature, professional 30 and 40-yr-olds as opposed to a flaky (or worse) teenager or 20-something, even if they were a spelling bee champion.

I should put up some of the other pics from our shoots in my port.  Actually, we got her some "web-tear sheets" at:

http://www.sportiveinc.com/prada_2007_skiwear.htm 
http://www.sportiveinc.com/bogner_2007_sportswear.htm

Check em out, (she's the blonde in my amateurish photos)

Jen may be 42, but she is beautiful.

Oct 29 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Avicdar wrote:

Or perhaps a lame comment about someone whose strong suit is not photography?  Good thing that edit button is there, hmm?

lol

yeah it sure is, when I make a mistake and realise it I try to correct it.  and or delete it.

Oct 29 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

You must be kidding. Where have you been. Years ago I used to frequent a place that at the time I was a top Pool Player where the bartender was a gorgeous model. She was really hot. And she would be a top model today with her looks. She would bring in her portfolio filled with photos to show off to the guys...and did they eat it up. When she worked it was fun to watch. As she moved from one end of the bar to the other everyone moved with her wanting a chance to be near her, hoping for a chance to talk to her.

One day as she was tending bar and having the normal attention with everyone following her to the far end of the bar from the door a woman walked in. This woman was so absolutely gorgeous that every single man in the place left the poor bartender/model alone. They all literally walked away from her.

Want to know what was so surprising about the story. The woman was the models mother. Talk about gorgeous too.......

Oct 29 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

"Older" is a subjective term, but I actually prefer models over 30 for reasons of punctuality and professionalism.  Age is no guarantee of maturity, but all things being equal it helps to cut down on no shows.

And let's face it, a beautiful woman is still a beautiful woman.

Oct 29 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

There is a certain class, elegance, and presence that comes with maturity.

The younger models have a different look - a youthful energy - in their appearance, and it's nice. Yet, it tend to lack 'soul' (for lack of a better word).

Oct 29 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

I like um cause they cook as well? LOL The older ones seem to be more interesting to me. While working I like to talk and its nice to have someone who knows what I am talking about. Like NIxon etc. lol

Oct 29 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

Positive Negatives wrote:
75 - 80% of the models I work with currently are over 40.

That is wonderful, older woman bring life to the plate. I applaude you.

Oct 29 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
I like um cause they cook as well? LOL The older ones seem to be more interesting to me. While working I like to talk and its nice to have someone who knows what I am talking about. Like NIxon etc. lol

Not in our house they don't. lol

Oct 29 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...is a modle like a kind of noodle?

Oct 29 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

dgold wrote:
...is a modle like a kind of noodle?

yes

Oct 29 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

Carpe Imago Photography wrote:
"Older" is a subjective term, but I actually prefer models over 30 for reasons of punctuality and professionalism.  Age is no guarantee of maturity, but all things being equal it helps to cut down on no shows.

And let's face it, a beautiful woman is still a beautiful woman.

So true, and they both have something to bring to am image.

Oct 29 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

glenn usdin wrote:

You have to forgive people like this. They hide behind their keyboards and nit-pick every little thing to try to elevate themselves in their own eyes.

But it never works.

Oct 29 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Image K

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

yeah it sure is, when I make a mistake and realise it I try to correct it.  and or delete it.

You missed a few here.

Oct 29 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Image K wrote:

You missed a few here.

Thats why I keep you around, WTF you sleeping on the job again? l o l ?

Oct 29 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I will gladly shoot with older models. They seem to have fewer hangups..in general. More at ease with who they are.

Oct 29 06 05:10 pm Link

Model

Ms Lee

Yeah, I have some trouble finding photographers, but of course I'm 50+ and not too conservative.

Oct 29 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The oldest model I ever shot with was 37 at the time. Got great images. Got a lot of experience too. Afterall, she was the very first Internet model I ever shot with. Anyone who's been doing this internet thing for at least 10 yrs will remember this name.

who remembers Lisa Marie Richards (retired)?

http://theinternetgirl.com/

Oct 29 06 05:12 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:

Of course I can handle myself, I'm pushing 49 and life has a way of teaching you how to handle yourself, and raising children can also teach you how to handle yourself, but I love when you come to my defense, a true knight.

Oct 29 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Anyone who is creative and motivated and who wants to model can do it successfully.

Any age, any gender, any look. There is room for everyone, and everyone has a beautiful side.

I'm getting increasing requests to appear at events or to be photographed. I'm far from being a good looking 20-something chickadee.

If I can, anyone can.

Life is sweet.

www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Oct 29 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

glenn my name today

You have to forgive people like this. They hide behind their keyboards and nit-pick every little thing to try to elevate themselves in their own eyes.

But it never works.

Hiding behind the keyboard?

What do you suggest?

Wanna meet by the flagpole after 9th period?
How about we race for registrations?
Maybe we can beat each other senseless and see who is a real man?

I guess everyone that posts on the internet is theoretically "hiding behind the keyboard."

The OP made a joke about her spelling, I wrote something that I thought was fuunny, you obviously didn't think the same thing as me.

I'll somehow find a way to carry on without your approval.

Oct 29 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Kahryn

glenn usdin wrote:

But it never works.

Hiding behind the keyboard?

What do you suggest?

Wanna meet by the flagpole after 9th period?
How about we race for registrations?
Maybe we can beat each other senseless and see who is a real man?

I guess everyone that posts on the internet is theoretically "hiding behind the keyboard."
In the context that you wrote about my spelling seemed to be a put down, not a joke, but if it was a joke then so be it. NO hard feelings on my part.

The OP made a joke about her spelling, I wrote something that I thought was fuunny, you obviously didn't think the same thing as me.

I'll somehow find a way to carry on without your approval.

Oct 29 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

I actually "Prefer" to shoot models over 40. Just wish more of them were here in Phoenix, or that more of the over 40 women here in Phoenix would agree to pose for the camera.

For some STUPID reason, alot of women over 40, dont feel that anyone would want to see them. let alone create images that anyone would like. I hear it all the time.. "I am over 40, who would want to look at me?" or "You are kidding me that you want to shoot pictures of me with all these young 20 somethings all around?"

Oct 29 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Just a bizarre question.  Few young models could even pretend to compete with the Mayan Lees and Julie Montanas of the world.

Oct 29 06 05:53 pm Link