Forums > General Industry > Does anyone still work with older modles

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:
Just a bizarre question.  Few young models could even pretend to compete with the Mayan Lees and Julie Montanas of the world.

I have to agree with you there.  Mayan Lee rocks!  (count me a fan).

Oct 29 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

AndrewG wrote:
For some STUPID reason, alot of women over 40, dont feel that anyone would want to see them. let alone create images that anyone would like. I hear it all the time.. "I am over 40, who would want to look at me?" or "You are kidding me that you want to shoot pictures of me with all these young 20 somethings all around?"

I know.  I also hear the "after I lose a couple of pounds".  Cannot seem to get across the point that I wouldn't be suggesting if I didn't think it would work.

Admittedly, older models tend to require a bit more editing for my objectives, but I don't care.

Ken

Oct 29 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:
Just a bizarre question.  Few young models could even pretend to compete with the Mayan Lees and Julie Montanas of the world.

I agree also.. Julie is one of my favorites..

Oct 29 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

The oldest model I have ever shot with was 32 - she was amazing. I would love to - and have been trying - to work with older models (late 30's, 40's) but surprisingly, I have never had any luck arranging it. 2 of them were no shows - and I drove 50 miles to shoot with one of them - and all the others either respond then evaporate, or never respond at all.

Honestly, this has been surprising. I guess I assume more maturity and responsibility as people get older, but I guess that isn't necessarily true! Being almost 50 myself, I certainly appreciate talent and beauty at any age, and really feel women get more beautiful as they age.

Oct 29 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

Scribe of Souls

Bonner Springs, Kansas, US

You didn't say what you classified an older model as, age wise.  In response to your question though....Yes, I love to shoot older women...Take a look at my port...one model is almost 80...another is 60...a couple more are 40.  They are all beautiful pictures in their own way.  The models are easy to work with and all have a story and beauty all their own.

As a side note, a friend of mine won Miss Nude North America a few years back, competing against a bevy of 20 - 30 year olds.  She was 43.  My advise for photographers, "Our job is to look for, discover, find, and shoot, the inherent beauty in all the models we meet and to reproduce that beauty so others can share our vision."

Just my opinion...and you know what they say about opinions.  But this is mine for the record.

Oct 29 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Age makes no difference to me as long as the model fits the need of the project. I had a shoot with a 52 year old woman today, and she was fantastic.

Oct 29 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

NCISTUDIOS

Ripon, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=201069

I hope Linda doens't mind me doing this:-)

Oct 29 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Interesting thread.  I haven't shot an older model, but all of this has got me thinking that it might be a great way to go.

Hope I spelled all my words right...seems like the Alphabet Police are out in force these days.

Oct 30 06 01:00 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I work with anyone who will make art with me. And I NEED Spellchecker. LOL!
Mike

Oct 30 06 01:04 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

DaveL wrote:
I much prefer to work with older models.  They usually have far fewer issues to bring to a shoot than the younger ones.  I shoot pretty much nothing but nudes and many of my favorite models are in their 40s.  I don't shoot glamour or fashion unless someone is paying me to do it, and for those kind of shoots I chose models to fit the client's needs.  But for my personal art photography, which is 90 percent or more of my work, age is just not a real issue.  Attitude is much more important.

Amen

Oct 30 06 01:23 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Karen Garlick

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Mike Walker wrote:
I work with anyone who will make art with me. And I NEED Spellchecker. LOL!
Mike

I need spell check also, I type to fast and never go back a reread half the time, and the bad part is that I am a teacher also. So I do give my kids a break on occassion. LOL!

Oct 30 06 03:34 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Karen Garlick

New Haven, Connecticut, US

norcal-images wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=201069

I hope Linda doens't mind me doing this:-)

Her port is wonderful, gives me hope, thanks.

Oct 30 06 03:36 am Link