Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France

LHC Photography wrote:

yeah, scary isn't it? wink

Tres! But thanks for the sweet tag! lolol. We won't hold your evil twin against you. ;-)

Nov 08 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

LHC Photography wrote:
yeah, scary isn't it? wink

The Lam's are taking over.

Nov 09 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

lll wrote:

Yap, a world full of Lam!!! Woowhoo!!!

Nov 09 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Benny, did you see lll snuck in while we were sleeping? And he's multiplying? 'Tis a scary thang.

Nov 09 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
AND...Mr. Lam just translated a huge article from Mandarin to English for me as well.  A man of many talents...

-Don

Just to help clarify this:
Mandarin is the official dialect for the Chinese language. There are well over 1,000 dialects in China. Lam is a spelling of Chinese based on the Cantonese dialect (mostly used in Hong Kong and some Southeast Asia Chinese communities). Lin = Lam in Mandarin. smile There are two different ways of writing Chinese: the simplified form and traditional form. China and Singapore use the simplified form and Hong Kong, Taiwan and the rest of Southeast Asia Chinese communities use the traditional form. Regardless of how it is written, they can be used the same way in any of the dialects in China. In most cases, educated people in China can speak Mandarin (since it is the official dialect). Less eduated people or uneducated people (mostly those who live in rural parts of China) usually speak only their local dialect(s). It is common that Chinese people cannot understand each other because they don't understand each other's dialect (most people in Hong Kong only speak Cantonese). However, they will understand each other when they see the writing. So, if you do end up in a remote location in China and can't understand the people there and they hand you a piece of paper, they expect you to write something in Chinese. smile

Nov 09 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

lll wrote:

there is another ll in MM: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=72151

Nov 09 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

BENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're everywhere!!!! Ok, riddle me this my little Lammmmies, somewhere I think I read that the Chinese word for "fear" is composed of two characters, one being danger, the other opportunity. Is that a bunch of feel good new age hooey or is there something to that?

Nov 09 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Renée Jacobs wrote:
BENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They're everywhere!!!! Ok, riddle me this my little Lammmmies, somewhere I think I read that the Chinese word for "fear" is composed of two characters, one being danger, the other opportunity. Is that a bunch of feel good new age hooey or is there something to that?

Nope. It is indeed "a bunch of feel good new age hooey". I think the word most people think that is a composit of "danger" and "opportunity" is Risk. I even saw it in a finance textbook I use.
Here is what the chinese characters danger looks like:
https://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/Q/2/danger.gif

Here is what the chinese characters for opportunity looks like:
https://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/A/D/opportunity.gif

If you take the first character from each of the you get the "feel good new age hooey" version. You can't say that it is 100% wrong. But here is what risk in chinese should look like:
风险

Chinese is a context language and the meaning of the same character would change depends on the context. Confussing enough? smile

Nov 09 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

Renée Jacobs wrote:
Benny, did you see lll snuck in while we were sleeping? And he's multiplying? 'Tis a scary thang.

holy Lam, lll eo  snuck in while I was out

Nov 10 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

LHC Photography wrote:

there is another ll in MM: https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=72151

yes but he is not a Leo Lam like you and Leo Lam lol

Nov 10 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Leo-I saw you were trolling for truffles in another thread! Which I didn't see until now. But of course you can have truffles. Hell, you've earned way more than a box! ;-) Let's see how long it takes for him to find this ;-)

Nov 12 06 01:11 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I stummped Leo Lams yup both of them hahaha smile

Nov 13 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Benny-H wrote:

well, at least the other Leo Lam didn't know the answer either. i am still safe. smile hey, try Lewis Lam. he is in hong kong right now and might know something. . .

Nov 13 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Benny-H wrote:

???????????? Benny, are you Leo trolling on the side? lolololol

Nov 13 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Richard Dubois wrote:
He's the only photographer I know who really knows what gamma is, and the champion of raw shooting.  Thanks to him I have a vague idea how to calibrate my monitor.  I haven't done it, but at least now I know how.

Gamma? Everybody knows Gamma. I love her pies come the holidays.  I can just taste the pumpkin pie with just hint of gun powder, old moth balls, and Wild Turkey ..... ummmm, to know Gamma is to love Gamma.  Luv ya Gamma.

Oh, and what everybody said about Leo (except doesn't he shoot with a Canon??)

Nov 13 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

LHC Photography wrote:

Nope. It is indeed "a bunch of feel good new age hooey". I think the word most people think that is a composit of "danger" and "opportunity" is Risk. I even saw it in a finance textbook I use.
Here is what the chinese characters danger looks like:
https://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/Q/2/danger.gif

Here is what the chinese characters for opportunity looks like:
https://z.about.com/d/chineseculture/1/0/A/D/opportunity.gif

If you take the first character from each of the you get the "feel good new age hooey" version. You can't say that it is 100% wrong. But here is what risk in chinese should look like:
风险

Chinese is a context language and the meaning of the same character would change depends on the context. Confussing enough? smile

Doesn't seem like a lot of Risk to me.  How about Clue or Monopoly? wink

Nov 13 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Hi Tim! Welcome to the game. Any suggestions on the Dress A Leo sub-portion of our thread? lololol ;-)

Nov 13 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

so i told Leo I will post our conversation we had thru e-mail, where I stummped him hahaha

Benny-H
11/13/06 12:11 PM

yashita dl2000 ever hear of it? good camera? just wondering

thanx smile

Benny

lll
11/13/06 2:22 PM
    Benny, Yashita? You Yashica? I don't know of a Yashica DL2000, but there is an Olympus DL2000...

I think the best person to ask would be Karl Blessing. That guy knows a lot of cameras. smile He is such a geek.

Benny-H
11/13/06 3:55 PM
omg i stummped leo, is the world coming to an end? and yes the camera says Yashita Japan on the top next too the viewfinder and the model number on the front.

i must go into the leo thread and tell the world tongue

Benny

lll
11/13/06 4:23 PM
    LoL

Huh. Never heard of a YashiTa camera. Yashica I had one. smile Ok, you stumped me!

Leo

Benny-H
11/13/06 4:33 PM
can I quote you and put it in the Leo thread for all to see?

tongue

lll
11/13/06 4:37 PM
    lol

Nov 14 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Benny-H wrote:
so i told Leo I will post our conversation we had thru e-mail, where I stummped him hahaha

Benny-H
11/13/06 12:11 PM

yashita dl2000 ever hear of it? good camera? just wondering

thanx smile

Benny

lll
11/13/06 2:22 PM
    Benny, Yashita? You Yashica? I don't know of a Yashica DL2000, but there is an Olympus DL2000...

I think the best person to ask would be Karl Blessing. That guy knows a lot of cameras. smile He is such a geek.

Benny-H
11/13/06 3:55 PM
omg i stummped leo, is the world coming to an end? and yes the camera says Yashita Japan on the top next too the viewfinder and the model number on the front.

i must go into the leo thread and tell the world tongue

Benny

lll
11/13/06 4:23 PM
    LoL

Huh. Never heard of a YashiTa camera. Yashica I had one. smile Ok, you stumped me!

Leo

Benny-H
11/13/06 4:33 PM
can I quote you and put it in the Leo thread for all to see?

tongue

lll
11/13/06 4:37 PM
    lol

i think yashica and yashita must be the same brand, only yashita is sold in europe and yashica in the rest of the world. . . benny, can you get a photo of the camera and post it here? i think we can solve the puzzle with a photo. i've never been stumped by a question like this before. . . and i, too, am a geek.

Nov 14 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Doesn't seem like a lot of Risk to me.  How about Clue or Monopoly? wink

yeah, using chinese can be very risky. a sentence that has no punctuation mark can be changed to mean a different thing when punctuations marks are put in. i recall there is a story about a host trying to kick a guest who has over stayed his welcome by a one sentence note. the guest added 3 punctuation marks to the sentence and stayed forever. sad risky!

Nov 14 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

LHC Photography wrote:

i think yashica and yashita must be the same brand, only yashita is sold in europe and yashica in the rest of the world. . . benny, can you get a photo of the camera and post it here? i think we can solve the puzzle with a photo. i've never been stumped by a question like this before. . . and i, too, am a geek.

oh p.s I tool a look at the Olympus camera, and everything is the same as the Yashita camera, the only thing different is where is says Yashita it says Olympus. The camera is from over seas.

Nov 14 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

smile

Nov 14 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Benny-H wrote:

oh p.s I tool a look at the Olympus camera, and everything is the same as the Yashita camera, the only thing different is where is says Yashita it says Olympus. The camera is from over seas.

see, we didn't get stumped. you set us up. nice try, benny. wink

Nov 14 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

LHC Photography wrote:

see, we didn't get stumped. you set us up. nice try, benny. wink

but you guys did hahaha tongue I rule!!!!

Nov 15 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

singing yashita, yashica, tomato, tomahtoe, potato, pottatto, let's call the whole thing off..... :-)

Nov 15 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Benny-I stumped Leo too. He doesn't know Romanian. Can you believe it? On the other hand, he does know pdf and is being very sweet and making me some to assist me with my techno-dorkiness :-)

Nov 16 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

Hey Benny---you around out there? Should we dress up Leo for Thanksgiving. I'd bet he'd be a cute Pilgrim. Turkey? Cranberry sauce? ;-)

Nov 23 06 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

So, it's official. I met both Lams in Hong Kong. smile
lll and Lewis Lam

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=72151

Both Lams are younger than I am and are more handsome. . . also both better at PS than I am. . . I need more drinks. smile

Jan 05 07 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Leo...
You rock my man.
Haven't heard from you in a while and was thinking that you were not posting on MM anymore; goes to show how attentive I am!
This man helped me thfough some rocky PS times and now, I'm glad to say, I'm actually mediocre at photoshop!
wink
Stay cool "breeze!"
T.

Jan 05 07 01:34 pm Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

everybody loves a leo smile

Jan 05 07 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

I love Leo and he loves me

Jan 05 07 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

T H Taylor wrote:
Leo...
You rock my man.
Haven't heard from you in a while and was thinking that you were not posting on MM anymore; goes to show how attentive I am!
This man helped me thfough some rocky PS times and now, I'm glad to say, I'm actually mediocre at photoshop!
wink
Stay cool "breeze!"
T.

Hey T, this Leo Chan, not Leo Lam. smile He is back though. You have to dig deep to find him though. wink You can also count on Lewis Lam for PS questions:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=72151

Yeap, we're bunch of Leos and Lams. smile

Jan 05 07 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

Benny wrote:
everybody loves a leo smile

Benny also love to stump Leos. smile

Jan 05 07 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

T H Taylor wrote:
Leo...
You rock my man.

T, thanks...how kind of you to say that.  I don't post much any more, I am a little tired of repeating the same things over and over again...  smile

You and the word "mediocre" in the same line?  That just doesn't sound right.

Hey, send over more Christie's photos...(email, that is).  smile

Jan 05 07 05:01 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Benny-H wrote:
I love Leo and he loves me

And I do.  smile

Jan 05 07 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Renee Jacobs

hmmm.....return of the Leos and I wasn't invited. :-( lolol.

Jan 06 07 01:26 am Link