Forums > General Industry > Why cant they just respond?

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

This has probably been done to death but I am just wondering why people cannot have the common decency and professionalism to respond to emails?  I would just love to get a response...even if it is "No Thanks"

Oct 27 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

I agree with you completely.

Oct 27 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

D Fish

Springfield, Missouri, US

Its called life in 2000 people read minds

Oct 27 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

You are right.  It has been done to death.  And I am sure it will be asked again and again and again.  bs

Oct 27 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Henry Sanders

I've thought the same thing a thousand times.  I mean, I'm a big boy, I can handle "No".  I ask models to respond either with a yes I'm interested or a no I'm not.  Say anything just let me know.  Most of the time I don't get a response.  I wonder if some of these models would even answer their "big break" call if they got it.  At least it's good to know that it's not just me.  Thanks for this post.

Oct 27 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

It's called immature, irresponsible and inconsiderate ( not necessarily in that order ).

Oct 27 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

For all they know I might have several high paying clients looking for a specific model type that they fit.........no response could mean no money for them...

Oct 27 06 11:09 am Link

Model

Rae01

Austin, Texas, US

i always respond.  ALWAYS.  so some people do. :-)

Oct 27 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

David Miller

San Diego, California, US

You know, I had been wondering about that. I’ve worked in a few industries in my time (never mind how old I am) and this is the only one in which you can offer paid work in someone’s field of choice and get little to no response. It never ceases to amaze me.

Oct 27 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Craiger

Palm Bay, Florida, US

Rae01 wrote:
i always respond.  ALWAYS.  so some people do. :-)

You are definitely in the minority.  But you also - by virtue of doing so - demonstrate a lot more class.

Oct 27 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Even better are the models who respond to castings and then never reply back when you send them details.....

Oct 27 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

ANd you know everyone keeps a cell phone glued to their asspipes 24/7

Oct 27 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Cause it's a hobby for them, and they're not really serious. smile

Oct 27 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Some probably forget they even have that e-mail address or their MM account, so they have no idea they have messages.  They created the account on a whim.

However, responding to a casting call and the ignoring is rude and unprofessional.

Oct 27 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

ward wrote:

Somewhat understandable, but when you tell them that they will be paid several hundred dollars for a few hours work....i dont understand the unresponsiveness

Oct 27 06 11:37 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Cardillo Photography wrote:

Somewhat understandable, but when you tell them that they will be paid several hundred dollars for a few hours work....i dont understand the unresponsiveness

Even though it's rude...the lack of response probably indicates a lack of interest.  I always try to respond, even with a 'no, thank you'.  Sometimes emails fall between the cracks, though.  For every person who doesn't respond, you can probably find 20 that are interested.  Brush it off, don't stress about it, and do the best job you can with a model who wants to be there.

Oct 27 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

The people with class, manners, and a sense of etiquette, do send courtesy responses. Compliments to them!!! They truly rock.

Oct 27 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

Honestly, would you rather them not reply at all at first, or do a no-show when you set up the shoot and hire a MUA etc. In my opinion it helps weed out the serious from the non-serious hobbists.

Oct 27 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

ward wrote:

Bingo.

And with a lot of them, they freak when they actually have to step up to the plate and realise they don't know a damn thing about modeling.

Oct 27 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Some people just suck at corresponding. It's a pet peeve of mine!

Oct 27 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Silence = No

Oct 28 06 04:51 am Link

Photographer

Clint

Helena, Montana, US

As simple "yes, please," "no, but thanks for asking," or "I'm not sure, tell me more" would really go a long way.  But with time and experience I have come to the conclusion that modeling is like a lot of the rest of life.  It is not the attributes with which one is born that are the predicters of success in any given field.  It is not beauty, brains, talent, education or ability.  About 90% of success can be attributed to just showing up.  Answering emails is part of just showing up.  The rest are at home or wherever they are, clueless, while the clever few are grabbing the opportunities.

Oct 28 06 05:09 am Link

Photographer

j-shooter

Clint wrote:
As simple "yes, please," "no, but thanks for asking," or "I'm not sure, tell me more" would really go a long way.  But with time and expereicen I have come to the conclusion that modeling is like a lot of the rest of life.  It is not the attributes with which one is born that are the predicters of success in any given field.  It is not beauty, brains, talent, education or ability.  About 90% of success can be attributed to just showing up.  Answering emails is part of just showing up.  The rest are at home or wherever they are, clueless, while the clever few are grabbing the opportunities.

I understand people not having the time or energy for platitudes and cliches. If the person who I asked to model thinks my work sucks, they won't respond.

Oct 28 06 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

It would be great, but contrary to the nature of people in general, with shifting priorities, disorganisation, forgetfulness.

One has to come to terms with it, realise it isn't going to change, and it has nothing to do with you.

I struggled with it a long time, and still have problems sometimes, though I understand the psychological issues that come into play.  Just ups the blood pressure, which is no good.

Ken

Oct 28 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

(no response)

Oct 28 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

RonSlatonPhoto62

Brandon, Florida, US

CDW Images wrote:
Honestly, would you rather them not reply at all at first, or do a no-show when you set up the shoot and hire a MUA etc. In my opinion it helps weed out the serious from the non-serious hobbists.

This is my take on it also.  Let them show their hand early on and you know what you're (not) dealing with.  I send an e-mail, wait a week, then hit the mental delete button upon 'no response'.

Oct 28 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Kali Doom wrote:
Some probably forget they even have that e-mail address or their MM account, so they have no idea they have messages.  They created the account on a whim.

However, responding to a casting call and the ignoring is rude and unprofessional.

That's what I always suspected...drunken dare from a girlfriend to create an account after snapping a few webcam pictures!

Oct 28 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I can certainly sympathize, especially if you crafted an email specifically for that personal regarding a project. It's hard to read too much into silence but I assume that the recepient can fall into these categories:

1. They have too much work already and don't have time to respond.
2. They aren't interested and never will be in working with you.
3. They aren't actively seeking work and probably joined this site on a whim, a dare or to brag to their friends.

Better to cut your line and move on. I admit that the current culture does make the members that do respond look even better. Professionalism takes many forms and common curtesy is a good place to start.

Oct 28 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Palo Alto, California, US

There are very few with good manners in this modern world, especially the younger generation. No thank you or yes thank you appears to becoming obsolete.

Oct 28 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

This has probably been done to death but I am just wondering why people cannot have the common decency and professionalism to respond to emails?  I would just love to get a response...even if it is "No Thanks"

I don't have a problem with lack of response to an unsolicited contact from me to a model. If the message remains unread, I know that the model is not that serious, at least as far as MM participation. If it was read, I assume the model is not interested at this time. I believe that everyone has the right to ignore unsolicited contacts, as it is stressful to have to reply in the negative. Also, saying "no thanks" may close the door to a later opportunity vs. saying nothing.

I do have a problem with models going silent once interest has been established. In this instance, it is rude and unprofessional. If the model changes their mind, an explanation is owed.

Jan 02 07 03:50 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world of internet photography. There are no rules here; a girl who is 5’ 1” in 4” stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Agency models and photographers = work for clients and have a set of standards
Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.
GWP and GWC = it’s all about the b(o)(o)bies.

Welcome to our world…………………………………………..wink

Welcome to the internet
Good morning OP

Jan 02 07 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

theedge

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's Called Commentment LOL..Who Responds First, The Next Email, Then The Next..Then...It's Ground Hog Day only done it responding to emails..
Some people get better offers and just go for that one...and forget the rest...there's 300,000 person on here...A city full of ways of thinking & reacting...to emails or messages...

The Edge--GMX

Jan 02 07 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jphoto wrote:

I understand people not having the time or energy for platitudes and cliches. If the person who I asked to model thinks my work sucks, they won't respond.

This is NOT true.  Very often models won't take the time to review what your
work looks like.  Now listen carefully, grasshopper.  Its not your work, you
or even what your profile says.  Its not personal and by the way everyone
who's speaking to this issue has decent to good work.  Its not personal.  These
models don't know you.  There are lots of reasons why models may not respond
and its best not to lose a moment of your valuable day thinking about why.

We should all consider what we say and how we say it but if people are responding
and seem intrested then vanish who knows what happened.  Here's a check list:
Were you polite, yes.
Did you give all or most of the details about the shoot, yes.
Did you make corny or sexy jokes, no.
Its all good then. 

I'd love to shoot more but I don't care anymore when models don't respond.

Jan 02 07 07:25 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Maybe cause they are busy or don't wanna hurt the photograper. It's amazing how many photographers get hurt when a model doesn't want to work with them. lol

Jan 03 07 12:07 am Link

Photographer

Wye

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not being flip or condecending when I ask this:

Why do you care?

I mean.. how much time are you investing, exactly, in corresponding with a model for the first time (ie making the first contact).  A simple: "Hi, I really like your look and would love to shoot with you sometime.  Have a look at my work and get back if you are interested. We can discuss some specific possibilities " would work wonders I suspect.

Are you emotionally invested in each contact you make? If so.. stop it.  You're setting yourself up for disappointment.  Contact the models you're interested in shooting, be sincere about your interest and leave it at that.  If they get back.. they get back. If they don't... they don't.  What have you really lost?

Jan 03 07 02:22 am Link

Model

_Absentia_

Austin, Indiana, US

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  One of my pet peeves as well.  Ignoring someone is much ruder than politely saying no.

Jan 03 07 02:59 am Link

Photographer

ImageConcepts

Hey I have a long thread going on Model Matters titled "Why do models take so long to reply to messages?"

A lot of people are going to say this or that, but it's not the money, length of message, or something else.  The membership here is just plain bad.

Jan 03 07 03:13 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

hey they are the pretty ones... you may be sitting in front of the computer and waiting but they are probably living a life good or bad...so when a model do not respond I send one more message just to check if its going to be read and if it does I say she is not interested or life got in the way...

if none are read I call 911 tongue

if both are read but no activity I call 911 anyway tongue

I mean I dont but I would...didnt happen yet big_smile

Jan 03 07 03:19 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

For all they know I might have several high paying clients looking for a specific model type that they fit.........no response could mean no money for them...

Exactly!  If I ever get so busy as a photographer to the point where I can't answer all my e-mail's - I'm sure I would have enough in my budget to hire an assistant who can prioritize and at least send a polite reply (or block) to the least important e-mail's.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jan 03 07 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

dbl post!

Jan 03 07 03:44 am Link