Forums > General Industry > All models & Photogs: Go to your Portfolio now..

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Open it up, and look at each photo. Is there a LINK to the photographer or model? Are they on MM? Please add one!
I can't count how many times I've come across an image I've seen in another portfolio and thought "Why didn't they link that?? I was wondering who the model/photographer was!" Besides (if you're a model) that link will lead viewers to more images of you.
It only takes a second, and many of us really do surf that way to find people we'd like to work with. Don't be lazy: a huge row of names on your front page is not the same thing. That's great for references, not for finding out whose work you're looking at!
Seriously, is there some reason why people don't do this?

Oct 27 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

All the MM links had been erased by a glitch bug in the system weeks ago.

many members have not replaced them untill we knew they had not come back or were going to stay fixed.

Oct 27 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
many of us really do surf that way to find people we'd like to work with.

1.  If you want to find models to work with, surf model profiles.  My profile isn't there to help you find models.

2.  Only five of the models on my profile are MM members.  There really are other models out there.

Oct 27 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Oh...

Well, I guess that makes sense. But when the glitch is resolved, it would be nice to see the links. And many people didn't have them up before. I've seen models commenting on their own pics just to have a connection present.

Oct 27 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

well I mean...it's still nice to credit your models on MM anyway, and even if not, place the model's name in the caption or something. If it wasn't for them, you wouldn't have that photo. You owe it to them.

Oct 27 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

TXPhotog wrote:

1.  If you want to find models to work with, surf model profiles.  My profile isn't there to help you find models.

2.  Only five of the models on my profile are MM members.  There really are other models out there.

My comment only applies to MM models, of course- but don't you think it's polite to link to a model for the sake of their networking? The search engine is very broad (for instance, I can't narrow my Canadian searches down any further than Ontario, which is a big big place) so if I find a photographer who lives nearby and see a model I'd love to work with.. well, that's why those links exist.

Oct 27 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

3rd Floor Photography

Tucson, Arizona, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
My comment only applies to MM models, of course- but don't you think it's polite to link to a model for the sake of their networking? The search engine is very broad (for instance, I can't narrow my Canadian searches down any further than Ontario, which is a big big place) so if I find a photographer who lives nearby and see a model I'd love to work with.. well, that's why those links exist.

Some photographers are more polite than others.

Oct 27 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

*does a quick check*

Yep... all my MM models are still linked

Oct 27 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Wow! How cooool are you? You don't want to promote the models in anyway? Were I a model and read this, there'd be no way I'd work with you.

Think about this. She's got a pic in her port you took, but won't put a link up. Another model may see she want's to work with you, but the first one's stingy for no reason other than stupidity. You just lost work. Hmmmm . . . . Make any sense there Spongebob Stingypants?

TXPhotog wrote:

Good! Promote those five. They didn't come to MM just to work for you.

Oct 27 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Miss Martina

Dallas, Georgia, US

I always give credit..
Before I leave a shoot I find out the Internet profiles of the photographer/stylist or MUA and if any of those images are posted..I make sure to give credit..
I find that more photographers don't give credit..

Oct 27 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

Miles Chandler wrote:

not in every case at all.

I have a few friends who have modeled for me they are not models they do not want to be contacted.
High end agency models photographers celiberities do not usally share info with the lower teiar of internet models and photograhers.
as a model I havea few photographers who do not wish to be contacted either.

Oct 27 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Miss Martina wrote:
I always give credit..
Before I leave a shoot I find out the Internet profiles of the photographer/stylist or MUA and if any of those images are posted..I make sure to give credit..
I find that more photographers don't give credit..

Thanks for being cool people, and DAMNED HOT!

Oct 27 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I am under the impression that this site is for networking and helping each other.  I always include the links along with the models mayhem name with # so people can contact model for paid work.  I never thought it to be unreasonable, heck, the link is there, so I actually thought people were suppose to do that. I hope that the model does the same for me, its only fair. Lately the System has had some problems and many links disappeared (I will be putting them back again for the 3rd time this afternoon).

So TXPhotog, what is your profile here for? Free models?  I am still new and learning the ropes, my attitude is not hardened and my ego is still very very small.

Oct 27 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
I have a few friends who have modeled for me they are not models they do not want to be contacted.
High end agency models photographers celiberities do not usally share info with the lower tier of internet models and photograhers.
as a model I have a few photographers who do not wish to be contacted either.

Okay- but none of those people would have MM profiles in the first place, so it doesn't apply to them. If somebody has an MM profile, obviously they're not trying to avoid "internet models and photographers".
Not to mention that models get more views than photographers, so the quid pro quo is good for potential models surfing over to see your work from another model's gallery.

Oct 27 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I have 75 pictures posted and I had to readd the links to each and every one of them.  It took for ever...a few people I haven't readded links to...it's nothing personal, I just didn't have time to search for their profiles.  The glitch that screwed up the system  wiped out everyone's links...I can understand why some people may take longer to add the links back.

Oct 27 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
Good! Promote those five. They didn't come to MM just to work for you.

I'm quite sure that he didn't come to MM to get them work.
They are capable of finding their own work.

Oct 27 06 10:52 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

only 1 photographer I have worked with has my pictures linked. Really irks me. Was I that shatty? Then why put my picture up? Some don't even put my name for people to search it.

Oct 27 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Yuriy wrote:

I'm quite sure that he didn't come to MM to get them work.
They are capable of finding their own work.

So you wouldn't add links either? What's wrong with you people. I could see if the session didn't provide any good results, but then that wouldn't go in your port, anyway.

Oct 27 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

actualy they do...

I know a few high end photogrpahers who have MM profiles, They use MM as a play ground and yes they showcase work that has nothing to do with MM.
Some of us work in both worlds but we keep them seprate.

I agree networking is good but not all of us need a laundry list of all who we have worked with, just so some other person can go through and swipe all of our contacts.

I have taken my list of photograhers down on my modleing page, I had a few incedents where other models would just read downthe list and start contacting photographers, telling them I recomended them....Not so...

Networking is walking up and introducing your self to others not jusr copying down a name...if you wnat to contact a model that a photog doesn't have a link to try sending them a message.... watch what happens..either you will get told that they are not abel to give out contact info OR you may have mande a new friend a meet several models you would like to work with as you and your new friend talk.

Oct 27 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
only 1 photographer I have worked with has my pictures linked. Really irks me. Was I that shatty? Then why put my picture up? Some don't even put my name for people to search it.

Nah, Doll. I like every pic I've seen of you, in whatever form of style. Some people seem to think they should not provide contact for you. Like you're their own personal gold mine.

Let me ask though. Have you worked with those photogs again? Would you?

Oct 27 06 11:00 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
Nah, Doll. I like every pic I've seen of you, in whatever form of style. Some people seem to think they should not provide contact for you. Like you're their own personnal gold mine.

Let me ask though, Have you worked with those photogs again? Would you?

yea I'd work with them again. a few of them no, and their work is not in my portfolio because of it.

EDIT: and the one who does have my pics linked yes I have worked with 3 times already. everyone else has been only once

Oct 27 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

yea I'd work with them again. a few of them no, and their work is not in my portfolio because of it.

EDIT: and the one who does have my pics linked yes I have worked with 3 times already. everyone else has been only once

So as you see, this should be a little more of a community minded type of thing. You link people you worked with and use in your port to help promote them. They should only do the same for you.

Oct 27 06 11:15 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

So as you see, this should be a little more of a community minded type of thing. You link people you worked with and use in your port to help promote them. They should only do the same for you.

I agree, that's why I'm irked. I've got THEM linked.

Oct 27 06 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

actually they do...
I know a few high end photogrpahers who have MM profiles, They use MM as a play ground and yes they showcase work that has nothing to do with MM.
Some of us work in both worlds but we keep them separate.
I agree networking is good but not all of us need a laundry list of all who we have worked with, just so some other person can go through and swipe all of our contacts.
I have taken my list of photograhers down on my modleing page, I had a few incedents where other models would just read downthe list and start contacting photographers, telling them I recomended them....Not so...
Networking is walking up and introducing your self to others not jusr copying down a name...if you wnat to contact a model that a photog doesn't have a link to try sending them a message.... watch what happens..either you will get told that they are not abel to give out contact info OR you may have mande a new friend a meet several models you would like to work with as you and your new friend talk.

Odd.. well:
a) If a photographer on MM puts a picture on MM featuring an MM model, it's polite to link to the model unless they don't want you to (i.e. if the pic is nude and they don't usually do nudes, etc). If it "had nothing to do with MM" it wouldn't feature two or more MM people.
b) Nobody can "swipe your contacts". Come on- these people are all here already, they're not secrets. If somebody claims you recommended them, you can easily deny that when you are asked, like any reference situation.
c) We can't "walk up to each other"- that's why we're here. I certainly can ask a photographer for model info, but I doubt I ever would because I assume that if the info isn't provided that they have a good reason for it- either the model doesn't have an MM profile, or some such reason.

Also, it's hard to know from the one picture in a photographer's portfolio if a model is really what you're looking for. If I can go look at her gallery, I'll have a much better idea of her range AND any info she may have posted- does she do TFP, does she do nudes, is she travelling- before I bother her or a photographer about anything by email.

Oct 27 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

None of the models I've worked with have an MM profile. If they did, I'd certainly link to them.

Oct 27 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
Also, it's hard to know from the one picture in a photographer's portfolio if a model is really what you're looking for. If I can go look at her gallery, I'll have a much better idea of her range AND any info she may have posted- does she do TFP, does she do nudes, is she travelling- before I bother her or a photographer about anything by email.

. . . and vice versa. If a model sees a photograph in a models' port and is intrigued enough to want to look at the photogs port, there should be a link to promote him/her.

Oct 27 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Actually, Jessalyn, you're a perfect example of what I mean. I saw some lovely implied nude of you in a portfolio (unlinked) and eventually, when I discovered your profile on another day, read that you don't do full nudity. Great, seeing that meant I didn't have to bother you, or bother the photographer asking about you. Networking really saves time, IMHO.

Oct 27 06 11:25 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Miles Chandler wrote:

Actually, Jessalyn, you're a perfect example of what I mean. I saw some lovely implied nude of you in a portfolio (unlinked) and eventually, when I discovered your profile on another day, read that you don't do full nudity. Great, seeing that meant I didn't have to bother you, or bother the photographer asking about you. Networking really saves time, IMHO.

Well I'm flattered you were interested in my picture smile Thanks!

There have been times where I have run across a great picture in a models port and wanted to see what other work the photographer had done but there is no link. If I were interested in working with them why should I waste that models time asking for info on the photographer and then come to find out they don't shoot anyone with tattoos? Better to just link and not waste anyones time.

Oct 27 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
So you wouldn't add links either? What's wrong with you people. I could see if the session didn't provide any good results, but then that wouldn't go in your port, anyway.

There is nothing wrong with me (I can only speak for myself.  …This time anyway).

Not that I have to explain myself, but here:
1. My [current] models have no web presence that I am aware of so I can't link to anything.
2. I [now] shoot mostly commercial still lifes and do not use models for at least 70% of my projects.
3. I have lost contact with most of the models currently in my portfolio on MM.
4. My portfolio is not advertising space. When I am going to credit great models that I've worked with I will do it in the credit section of my bio in my MM profile.

Any more objections?

Oct 27 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Yikes.  I needed the reminder to go fix the pictures that lost their links in the hiccup recently.  Thanks!

Oct 27 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

All the MM links had been erased by a glitch bug in the system weeks ago.

many members have not replaced them untill we knew they had not come back or were going to stay fixed.

Wow, I hadn't even noticed that!

Oct 27 06 11:56 am Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

I have to FIND the photographers on here, first.  I've asked them for their MM#s but haven't gotten any responses.

Also, if you aren't linked in someone's port and you should be, you could always try asking them nicely to link you.

I also would like to respond to the comment about "swiping contacts".  Is that how you reward a great photographer?  By trying to make sure he/she doesn't get any work from anyone but you?

Oct 27 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I just don't have the 2 hours to replace the links, many people I would have to look up on browse to get their numbers. When I have a free weekend I will put the credits back up

Oct 27 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Yuriy wrote:
1. My [current] models have no web presence that I am aware of so I can't link to anything.

Doesn't apply, obviously.

Yuriy wrote:
2. I [now] shoot mostly commercial still lifes and do not use models for at least 70% of my projects.

Doesn't apply, obviously.

Yuriy wrote:

You don't know their MM numbers? You don't have any emails from still them in your Inbox?

Yuriy wrote:
4. My portfolio is not advertising space. When I am going to credit great models that I've worked with I will do it in the credit section of my bio in my MM profile.

You mean it's only advertising space for YOU. I can't imagine why you object to having a model's name under a picture of her, but it's your decision.

Oct 27 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Yuriy wrote:

There is nothing wrong with me (I can only speak for myself.  …This time anyway).

Any more objections?

Yes.

I'll always object. Like I said, I feel this is a community/networking site. You have your feelings on the subject and I have mine. The field to put in a link is there for networking purposes. If you don't feel a model should promote your stuff either, that's fine.

I just happen to big a big advocate of helping those who help me. If your beyond help, that's fine. Can't help you there.

Oct 27 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Morbid Rockwell

Fresno, California, US

Kali Doom wrote:
I have to FIND the photographers on here, first.  I've asked them for their MM#s but haven't gotten any responses.

Also, if you aren't linked in someone's port and you should be, you could always try asking them nicely to link you.

I also would like to respond to the comment about "swiping contacts".  Is that how you reward a great photographer?  By trying to make sure he/she doesn't get any work from anyone but you?

Hey, Doll. The MM# is just to the right of the model/Photogs name. Here's and Example;

Kali Doom                                                           Mayhem #233930
Female                                                                              Model
27 years old
Nashville, Tennessee

This is on your page and everyone elses'. Just so's ya know.

edit: BTW, I'd love to work with you one day.

Oct 27 06 12:17 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

Dredful Jaymz wrote:

Hey, Doll. The MM# is just to the right of the model/Photogs name. Here's and Example;

Kali Doom                                                           Mayhem #233930
Female                                                                              Model
27 years old
Nashville, Tennessee

This is on your page and everyone elses'. Just so's ya know.

edit: BTW, I'd love to work with you one day.

Oh, I know where the number can be found haha, I just didn't find my photographers from MM, so I don't know where their actual pages are to find the number.  I will have to do some browsing, really, or wait for them to answer my e-mail.

Also..thank you smile

Oct 27 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

Why don't you send them a message asking them polietly to be linked. Say that you've linked them for more exposure and you'd appreciate the same. If they don't reply, or jerk you around, take off their link.

Oct 27 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

CDW Images wrote:

Why don't you send them a message asking them polietly to be linked. Say that you've linked them for more exposure and you'd appreciate the same. If they don't reply, or jerk you around, take off their link.

I want to, but I'd just feel awkward..... some of them don't link to models at ALL so I would be afraid to run into the answer of "I don't feel like linking everyone, so why should I do just you? Why are you special?". Now none of the photographers I have worked with would be that rude but you get my point.

Oct 27 06 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
You don't know their MM numbers? You don't have any emails from still them in your Inbox?

I mean that I have lost contact with the models featured in my MM profile. None of them (to my knowledge) are on MM.

Miles Chandler wrote:
You mean it's only advertising space for YOU. I can't imagine why you object to having a model's name under a picture of her, but it's your decision.

Yes, it is advertising space for ME. In most instances I wouldn’t object and if I particularly enjoyed working with the model I would credit him/her. And you’re right, it is MY decision.
I am just growing tired of these ‘holier than thou’ types that insist that the way they do some things is the right way and anything different is wrong, immoral, or unethical (or some other variation of the above).

Sometimes people are credited, sometimes not. If you want a credit so badly ask for one and bang out terms.

Dredful Jaymz wrote:
I just happen to big a big advocate of helping those who help me. If your beyond help, that's fine. Can't help you there.

I never said I don't help people who help me.
I think people should be credited pending circumstances. I also think that it is up to the person doing the crediting to decide whether to credit someone or not (unless they have agreed to or not to). Building a relationship with your peers, coworkers, contract employees, etc is the purpose of networking and will get you credited if you do it properly. The best credit line to get is the one you don’t ask for (or in your case, demand).

I also think your statements, or at least their wording, are becoming more asinine as this drags on.

Oct 27 06 12:41 pm Link