Forums > General Industry > you're sexist because you only shoot women......

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I recently recieved this message... it was very similar to an earlier message... you're racist because you only shoot white people...

Now any one who has followed my work for any amount of time will know that both statements are ludicris. I have shot every age, every race, every gender (there are more than two by the way), and every skill level.

But the statement begs a different question really...... If you have a preference for shooting a particular group, does that make you sexist... racist...??

Simply because you prefer something... does that mean you are a biggot?

Oct 26 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

LOL

Oct 26 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

File that one in the "Whatever" folder.

EDIT: If you don't have a "Whatever" folder, I suggest you get one. Useful for all creatives.

Oct 26 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

Ok...seriously.  I don't "see" men the way I do women.  I don't have any issue saying that.  If that makes me sexist (because I can't see the shot) then I guess I am.  That is rediculous...there are plenty of men shooters out there....geeeesh!

Oct 26 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Edwards

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I ''prefer'' having sex with women and I refuse to sleep with guys so does that make me a bigot?   ;-)

Oct 26 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Myopic Earache

Chicago, Illinois, US

By that logic, if I photographed only flowers, that make me.... what exactly?

What a stupid comment.

Oct 26 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

jayedwards wrote:
I ''prefer'' having sex with women and I refuse to sleep with guys so does that make me a bigot?   ;-)

yes jay... it does. You're not an EOS (equal opportunity sexer)

Oct 26 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Myopic Earache wrote:

What a stupid comment.

A florist?

Oct 26 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

What a stupid comment.

....a florist?

Oct 26 06 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

HungryEye wrote:

A florist?

lol hungry... great minds eh?

Oct 26 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

You must be anti-gay, because you sleep only with women!

Oct 26 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

lamar photography

North Charleston, South Carolina, US

i think it all comes down to motivation, if you photograph only what turns you on (photographing from the crotch , as i call it) then yes your a pervert.

but if you are experimental and still find that you just happen to be good with one gender, then do what your good at and try to be better.

the fact that a large number of low end photographers (many on this site included) shoot only what apeals to their penis doesnt help the reputation of everyone else

Oct 26 06 05:59 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I don't think it makes you sexist at all. Its personal preference. Think about it this way: Someone can be heterosexual and still support gay rights. So therefore, you can desire to only want to photograph one type of group of people, and not be rascist or sexist. Its personal prefernce. Being negative towards all other groups would make you sexist/racist though. That I think is the difference.

Oct 26 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

NC17 wrote:
I don't think it makes you sexist at all. Its personal preference. Think about it this way: Someone can be heterosexual and still support gay rights. So therefore, you can desire to only want to photograph one type of group of people, and not be rascist or sexist. Its personal prefernce. Being negative towards all other groups would make you sexist/racist though. That I think is the difference.

have i told you that I love you?

Oct 26 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

NC17 wrote:

Couldn't have said it better than this.

Oct 26 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

How come I don't get these kind of messages?

I mean, I'm not looking for one, but I've never gotten an aggro note from a hysterical viewer.  I've had a few passive-agressive asides, but those don't count.

Oct 26 06 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
How come I don't get these kind of messages?

I mean, I'm not looking for one, but I've never gotten an aggro note from a hysterical viewer.  I've had a few passive-agressive asides, but those don't count.

hey I sent you an agro note once or twice....

Oct 26 06 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I recently recieved this message... it was very similar to an earlier message... you're racist because you only shoot white people...

Now any one who has followed my work for any amount of time will know that both statements are ludicris. I have shot every age, every race, every gender (there are more than two by the way), and every skill level.

But the statement begs a different question really...... If you have a preference for shooting a particular group, does that make you sexist... racist...??

Simply because you prefer something... does that mean you are a biggot?

Crap.  Someone's bound to give me some flack over my lack of Asian people.  And my lack of older models.

On the other hand, I tried shooting a model who's in her 40s but she turned me down because I shoot film.  Maybe I can turn that one around on her, though I'm not sure what type of -ist that would fall under.

Now, honestly, there are a number of people who pick their subjects based on personal preference.  Some of those people are the biggest bigots you'll ever meet and some of them are the nicest people you'll ever meet.  You simply can't tell.

:::As an aside, ludicrous means absurd.  I think Ludicris is that dude who does hippity-hop...:::

Oct 26 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

M B

Chicago, Illinois, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

Bored?

What a stupid comment.

Probably ..

Oct 26 06 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I photograph women because I'm straight and all my work is sexual.  Frankly, I'm just not ready for or interested in that aspect of men.  Heck, I know all about that already anyway...

-Don

Oct 26 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:
have i told you that I love you?

RL, you say that to all the ladies ;-)

Oct 26 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:
Now any one who has followed my work for any amount of time will know that both statements are ludicris.

Why is Ludicris bitching about your work, dosen't he need to come out with another album?... wink

Oct 26 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

ravens laughter wrote:

hey I sent you an agro note once or twice....

That's why you signed it love?"   wink

Oct 26 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Savage

Encinitas, California, US

lamar photography wrote:
the fact that a large number of low end photographers (many on this site included) shoot only what apeals to their penis doesnt help the reputation of everyone else

If anyone bases THEIR reputation on what I shoot....then there are more issues in play than just MY motivation for any given image.

I think I'll just continue to shoot what makes ME happy.

R

Oct 26 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

What if you shoot a guy whos dressed like a girl?

Oct 26 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

erik jensen

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

damn. I also shoot race horses. i dont want to know what that makes me!

Oct 26 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

erik jensen wrote:
damn. I also shoot race horses. i dont want to know what that makes me!

well if you shoot them based on race.... then you're a horse racist (hee haaw hee haww)

Oct 26 06 07:19 pm Link

Model

Brandy_Lynn

Lexington, Kentucky, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
I photograph women because I'm straight and all my work is sexual.  Frankly, I'm just not ready for or interested in that aspect of men.  Heck, I know all about that already anyway...

-Don

Nothing wrong with that. Your doing something you enjoy... when you enjoy doing something your usually good at it.

I'm straight and if I were a photographer.. well, I don't think I'd photograph men. I'm not sexiest.. lol. To turn me on, he would need to be folding clothes or fixing the hot water... that would probably make for a boring shoot.

Someone has way too much time on their hands!

Oct 26 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Myopic Earache wrote:

Pansy?

I shoot men for money and women for fun.

Oct 26 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Kelby Anthony Adam

Carlsbad, California, US

i dont find it offensive...everyone has there own vision of stuff.

Oct 26 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

A J Kahn

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

you're sexist because you only shoot women......

From This is Spinal Tap:  "What's wrong with being sexy?"

Oct 26 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

i'm thinking when i need an organ transplant i might look into some male models

Oct 26 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i photograph whatever i want, for fun, and i'll shoot whatever the client wants, if there's enough money involved, but i'm definitely not going to start looking to fill gaps so i have a mix of ethnicities, ages, and genders that correspond to the population.

Oct 26 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

i'll shoot guys... fat chicks, ugly chicks, etc etc.

for money that is

Oct 27 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Z Views

Dallas, Texas, US

Really boils down to your vision.  If I shoot a woman.... I know who has the look and how to capture it.  If I shoot a man.... I have to bring my wife in....she's an accountant....and have her look over the models and select one.  I need her assistance in posing him and such.  I have no eye when it comes to male models or how to make them look good.  Sexist?  No...I don't believe so.

Z

Oct 27 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

charles kafka

Burlington, Vermont, US

it gets worse, 
reverse discrimination,
"I think only women should photograph women"

or "why don't you photograph landscapes?" (I do, I just put women in them)

We are a very prejudice people,  we all need to personally work on this.
Im still not going to date my house cat.
but its ok, if my sister marries one.

charles

Oct 27 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

charles kafka

Burlington, Vermont, US

I just think women are more aesthetic then men, (or rocks, or raccoons). if you ever look at a man naked, he looks like an upside down triangle, about to fall over. Women have more external definition, with bumps and curves all over, and are just better balanced, while men only have definition if they work out daily, and sculpt themselves unnaturally.

Anyway that is just my observation.  However if a great picture presents itself,  I'll be there with a camera, Male, female, or just mountains.

Brandy Love wrote:
Nothing wrong with that. Your doing something you enjoy... when you enjoy doing something your usually good at it.

I'm straight and if I were a photographer.. well, I don't think I'd photograph men. I'm not sexiest.. lol. To turn me on, he would need to be folding clothes or fixing the hot water... that would probably make for a boring shoot.

Someone has way too much time on their hands!

Oct 27 06 07:22 am Link

Photographer

Boden Photography LLC

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I have a Heinz 57 going on in my port so I guess I have nothing to worry about. But I will always prefer to work with women. I am a man, no I don't shoot from me penis, he only has one eye and I could fall...lol But, I love women and I find it easier to create art from their form then men. Maybe it's homophobic, but I just can't look at a man in the way I do a women to find the perect look (still looking...lol). Either way, I would have fun with one of those people. It's normally only racist or sexist if you don't do as they ask. Or you reject them and eject them.

Oct 27 06 07:25 am Link

Model

Miya

ravens laughter wrote:

I really don't appreciate that you make my emails public.  This was a private discussion.  Not to be brought-up in public forum.  Way to not only disrespect my privacy, but also humiliate my thought-process.  You're a gem, Ravens Laughter.  A real freakin' gem.

*muah*

Oct 27 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Well if there us all this consences, why would people say such things? I understand if they might think it... But to accuse someone?? I thought most people liked to hide their ignorances.

Oct 27 06 08:02 am Link